New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 273093)

Comet Neowise

By Nokoro

3 months ago

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by Nokoro
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

EE502DDC-F5CA-404F-8FC8-B50D8CBBA1AA (resized).png
    B208578E-D0E7-4E02-9E5F-385070F744C1 (resized).jpeg
    20200716_225339.jpg
    20200714_230751.jpg

#1 3 months ago

Just saw Neowise tonight. Anyone else?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2020/07/13/comet-neowise-night-sky/

It was hard to find, but once I found it, it was pretty magnificent. I found it through binoculars. It was faint but had a very large tail. Once I found it, I could also see it with my naked eye, though it was much fainter. It is supposed to gradually brighten and get more prominent. Be on the lookout!

#2 3 months ago

Bump for the morning crowd.

#3 3 months ago

I've been trying to but I think the tree line keeps blocking it. I'd really like to see it!!

#4 3 months ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

I've been trying to but I think the tree line keeps blocking it. I'd really like to see it!!

I believe it will rise higher in the sky as the week goes on. I saw it around 15-20 degrees above the horizon. I had to go to a pretty open area to see it.

#5 3 months ago

I'm hoping that it's visible here in the next week.

#6 3 months ago

I saw it Monday and Tuesday night between 10-11 pm. Very faint without binoculars but once you know where to look you can see it with just your eyes. Definitely recommend taking some binoculars with you if you go look for it. Pretty awesome to see!

#7 3 months ago

I'll be taking the telescopes out over the next few nights to see if I can see it.

#8 3 months ago

looks like next clear day I will need to take a 20 min drive to a huge hill and i should be able to see the horizon better. it is north west correct?

#9 3 months ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

looks like next clear day I will need to take a 20 min drive to a huge hill and i should be able to see the horizon better. it is north west correct?

Yeah NW and about 10 degrees above the horizon. I drove out to some rural farmland so the tree line was far away and the light pollution was minimal and I was able to see it well. Good luck!

#10 3 months ago

Thanks for posting, I'll have to keep an eye out this evening!

Did anyone else think they were going to be reading about a new Comet LED bulb when they first clicked on this thread?

#11 3 months ago

I have been trying to spot this, with all the light pollution.

I had the pleasure of flying over the Atlantic in a commercial flight, when Halleys Comet went by in 1986.
    What an unbelievable sight to see from that altitude....You could literally see the movement, and churning.

#12 3 months ago

I’m up in the middle of nowhere for the week at a cabin in the middle of a lake on an island. Zero light pollution, other than it never gets fully dark over the horizon where the sun sets. And the dang comet was right above that horizon for me. Could see the other night easily with naked eye. Been cloudy last three nights . Can’t wait for a clear evening again

#13 3 months ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I'll be taking the telescopes out over the next few nights to see if I can see it.

I’m not sure if it is visible that far south yet. I thought it was going to be a few days before you could see it in the southern half of the country but I could be wrong.

Quoted from Bax1:

Yes. Right now it is below and to the right of the Big Dipper. Though, over the next few days it is supposed to move up and to the left of the Big Dipper.

There’s a online app mentioned in the WP article I cited that is supposed to tell you how best to see it from your location, but I couldn’t get it to work.

#14 3 months ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

I’m not sure if it is visible that far south yet. I thought it was going to be a few days before you could see it in the southern half of the country but I could be wrong.

I should be able to get a sighting of it if I can stay up late enough.

#15 3 months ago

Taken from my front porch using my phone and a NVG monocular.

20200714_230751.jpg
    #16 3 months ago

I have yet to see it but trees and clouds are killing it for me. I remember driving around trying to find Hale Bopp many years ago without sucess. Then I get in bed, gaze out the window and there it is.

#17 3 months ago

Took this last night using the same method.

Neowise was a little higher up on the horizon than the night before.

With good vision you could see it with the naked eye and it looked spectacular through a nice pair of binoculars.

Telescope arrives this Saturday. Hoping for clear skies and a decent view.

20200716_225339.jpg
    #18 3 months ago

My wife and I saw it last night in a park on the North side of Milwaukee, despite the city light pollution. She had never seen a comet before. This is the best one I have seen (Khoutek and Hale-Bopp). Found with binoculars but visible to the eye. In the next couple days we'll drive out into the country and take the small refractor.

It's pretty cool, and comets this bright only come about 2 times per lifetime!

Don C

#19 3 months ago

hoping to get the wife to go for a drive tonight. sky is clear at the moment so hope it stays that way.

#20 3 months ago

Saw it tonight. I needed binos, but we have a good bit of light pollution. Halle-Bopp was much brighter as I recall. Hopefully this one brightens up a bit.

#21 3 months ago

I'll be looking for it in Detroit! Hopefully it's not too bright on this side of town to see it. Will post pics if I can see and shoot it. Might take telescope out

#22 3 months ago

Going to try to see it again tonight. Just found this visual which may be helpful for locating it as it moves from day to day. Though, I must say, when I first saw it a few days ago, I thought it was much more to the right of the dipper. I could be wrong or maybe I wasn’t placing things properly.

It won’t be back again for 6,800 years, so unless you plan to wait, try to see it now.

B208578E-D0E7-4E02-9E5F-385070F744C1 (resized).jpeg

#23 3 months ago

Viewed it the last 3 nights. Looked much better through binoculars than through a telescope. The tail was more pronounced with binos. Amazing that anyone can see it with their eyes, but young eyes are much better than older ones.
    Wolfmancat: I like that NVG monocular.

#24 3 months ago

Should be right under the Big Dipper (to the left).

EE502DDC-F5CA-404F-8FC8-B50D8CBBA1AA (resized).png
    #25 3 months ago
    Quoted from Vyzer2:

Viewed it the last 3 nights. Looked much better through binoculars than through a telescope. The tail was more pronounced with binos. Amazing that anyone can see it with their eyes, but young eyes are much better than older ones.
    Wolfmancat: I like that NVG monocular.

My mid-40ish eyes could see it but just barely. And only when I knew exactly where it was having seen it through binoculars.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 89.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    £ 50.00
    $ 5.00
    Cabinet - Other
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 79.00
    Cabinet - Other
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 1,099.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 49.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Chrome Candy
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 100.00
    Boards
    KAHR.US Circuits
    $ 29.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 33.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 89.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 20.00
    Various Novelties
    GC Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 44.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 129.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Various Other Swag
    UpKick Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside