(Topic ID: 246129)

COMET LEDs Are Better: Here Is Why... They all Work!

By SantaEatsCheese

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tzpf (resized).jpg
    judgedredd (resized).jpg
    wedgewires (resized).jpg
    34vcjs (resized).jpg
    20170103_201504 (resized).jpg
    There are 71 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 4 years ago

I have personally LED'd 6 machines over the past year with LEDs from 3 different manufacturers. COMET LEDs are by far the best. You can say what you want about 1 SMD, 2 SMD, brightness, color, price, whatever, but COMET LEDs are the only one's I have purchased that have consistently worked without messing with them.

Take a simple wedge base LED. In my experience, the failure rate on COMETs has been less than 1% out of the package. Other manufacturers stuff I have had failures of as high as 25%... 25% of brand new LEDs not working. On top of that, I have to manually bend the wires on the base of the LEDs to get them to turn on about half the time. This means that in addition to throwing away 25% of the LEDs without them working, I have to unplug, fiddle with the base wires, and replug them in about 1/2 the time. I don't have this issue with the COMETs as the wires seem to be ever so slightly longer and thicker.

I have not had that issue with bayonet style light bulbs and have had good success regardless of manufacturer.

COMET, keep doing what you are doing and keep your quality up. I'm giving up on the cheaper stuff and sticking with you.

#2 4 years ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Other manufacturers stuff I have had failures of as high as 25%... 25% of brand new LEDs not working.

Where the hell are you buying anything that has a failure rate of 25%?

EDIT: The problem I've seen with the super cheap direct from China stuff is there is tons of variation in color; usually 3 diff'rent shades of "warm white."
    But I only buy Comet myself.

#3 4 years ago

Wedge types are finicky for sure. The ones that I saw fail the most were nifty I think. I always try the bulb both directions, fiddle with the wires then try again. If still no go, I pitch it. I might pitch 3-5 per hundreds of comets. I’m pretty quick on the trigger to toss them though.

#4 4 years ago

I have to bend the wires on all 555 leds, it’s the socket not the leds.

#5 4 years ago

Ouchy...looks like they're discontinuing the low prices... better get them cheap while you can. doesn't look like you can find any LEDs under $0.59 anymore especially if you're looking for any white

#6 4 years ago

Comet certainly a go to, along w CT.

Your avatar name scares me...I like cheese...

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Wedge types are finicky for sure. The ones that I saw fail the most were nifty I think. I always try the bulb both directions, fiddle with the wires then try again. If still no go, I pitch it. I might pitch 3-5 per hundreds of comets. I’m pretty quick on the trigger to toss them though.

Agreed

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from BIGMAC76:

Ouchy...looks like they're discontinuing the low prices... better get them cheap while you can. doesn't look like you can find any LEDs under $0.59 anymore especially if you're looking for any white

If you’re paying under 65-75 cent per bulb, IE not getting smd bulbs, you’re doing it wrong.

#9 4 years ago

I rarely ever have failures from any LED vendor. I recently switched over to ablaze mainly because of price and they are great. Just did 3 pins with ablaze and zero failures.

#10 4 years ago

I had good luck with the cheapy comets, but since they are discontinued, I just ordered 200 sunlight smd retros to try in my Grand Lizard GI and backbox. I had enough of the old style to get the inserts done.

#11 4 years ago

You get what you pay for!

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

I don't recall ever tossing a new Comet. They are definitely finicky. Some require a lot of work to get the wires right in order for it to work. Some of the wedge bases are too wide as well. I end up having to shaving off the edges with an exacto knife just to get them to fit in the socket. It can take hours to led a game but I don't mind. Putting in leds and shopping out a game you just got is very enjoyable.

#13 4 years ago

... COMET LEDs are by far the best. ... Other manufacturers stuff I have had failures of as high as 25%...

Comet isn't a manufacturer. Neither are any of the other large US sellers: they all get their bulbs from the same small handful of large Chinese manufacturers. It is possible a seller has a bad batch, or maybe Comet does some quality control others don't do. But I've also had some dead Comets right out of the package occasionally.

The problem you're talking about usually only comes from some of the smaller / goofy / "off-brand" Chinese manufacturers. You might get bulbs like that if you buy off Ebay or other smaller US sellers. The other big problem with those guys is they'll call anything anti-ghosting / anti-flicker even when it isn't.

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

I don't recall ever tossing a new Comet. They are definitely finicky. Some require a lot of work to get the wires right in order for it to work. Some of the wedge bases are too wide as well. I end up having to shaving off the edges with an exacto knife just to get them to fit in the socket. It can take hours to led a game but I don't mind. Putting in leds and shopping out a game you just got is very enjoyable.

another reason I started going with ablaze, the wedge base is smaller than others so they go in nice and smooth with no need to trim or shave down.

#15 4 years ago

From my personal experiences.

Older SS Games, with round penny size inserts, can have slightly smaller sockets.
    Stern Games, and a few B/W at the end through around POTC, can have slightly larger sockets.
    Depending on Bulb, technology, "SMD vs LED", yes bulbs can be tight, too tight and need Trimming, to Too loose, and complaints of falling out.
    One Bulb, to fit all cases over 50 years, every game...not so easy.

QC. I am glad to hear Ryan and Janet are keeping the extra QC I started in place. Comet is doing a Great Job!

Emails received to me back then...."I had a bulb fail....what are you going to do about it before I post on Social Media" became a Pain.
    So I changed QC steps, by adding a last test before packaging.

Needless to say, those that "failed" Brightness, color, etc. Dont get tossed, they get sold as seconds and dumped into the market.

But with Millions of bulbs manufactured, there will always be issues....the quest for perfection, is almost impossible, and Social Media
    will always share the "accident on the side of the road"

#16 4 years ago

In my experience, the failure rate on COMETs has been less than 1% out of the package.

I've purchased hundreds of the OptiFlux bulbs (Nothing else like them on the market!), but I'm no longer using them due to an incredibly high failure rate in the past couple years. At one point, I thought a coil was burning up in my Fish Tales and it turns out it was just an LED frying. They brown up!

I'll still be ordering the Twin 2835s by the hundreds, however. Great universal bulb.

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

I had good luck with the cheapy comets

Which ones? I have a couple bags of cheapy ones I ordered that I don't need. Gladly pay it forward if anyone likes these.
    https://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/100-pack-led.htm

#18 4 years ago

I have used both Comet and the 2-SMD Stern OEM from CT and have no complaints about either. No failures, and I have not noticed any color variation or problems physically fitting into wedge sockets.

I had a few flicker or dim due to intermittent contact (the wires on an LED wedge bulb are thinner than on an incandescent and some sockets don’t quite have enough “bite” to securely connect to them); they were fixed by tinning a layer of solder on the bulb wires to thicken them a slight bit.

#19 4 years ago

Ryan is passionate about pinball and made his hobby into his job and you can tell by how well his products stand up!

great asset to the community! (and an okay player at that )

#20 4 years ago

Having tried LED's from other companies multiple time I'd have to agree that Comet has the nicest, most consistent bulbs I've found so far.

-Paul

#21 4 years ago

Comet is hands down the best. I'm loving the matrix system, it's for endless possibilities.

#22 4 years ago

A few bulk packs of 2 SMD frosted sunlight and you can do an entire playfield, top and bottom. Way cheaper than some of the kits out there, plus you have spares.

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from jahbarron:

Which ones? I have a couple bags of cheapy ones I ordered that I don't need. Gladly pay it forward if anyone likes these.

I've used those and the round tops. I'd be happy to jump on that deal. Should I PM you?

Thanks.

#24 4 years ago

Every effect bulb I have purchased from cointaker has not worked. Whether its a twinkle bulb or dazzle strip, I put them in a game (or 3 to make sure its not me) they don't do what they are supposed to.

#25 4 years ago

I use exclusively Comets in any game I work on. The warm and natural white frosted 2 SMD bulbs are perfect and have always worked right out of the box (or in this case, plastic bag).

20170103_201504 (resized).jpg20170103_201504 (resized).jpg
    #26 4 years ago

I haven't used Comet yet. What do you guys recommend for pops
    for the best overall light distribution? I been playing around with
    my Addams Family with its leds.

#27 4 years ago

I won't use anything that isn't a frosted dome. It's hard to find an application they aren't the best for....other then a really weird "hidden" insert.

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

I had good luck with the cheapy comets, but since they are discontinued, I just ordered 200 sunlight smd retros to try in my Grand Lizard GI and backbox. I had enough of the old style to get the inserts done.

you're in for a shock!

#29 4 years ago
    Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

you're in for a shock!

What do you mean by that?

#30 4 years ago

going from the cheapos to the good ones will brighten up your day, guaranteed.

#31 4 years ago

comet 2 smd's are great bulbs, but they def could do some design changes on the 555's to make them easier to install and not have to bend the wires on every single bulb. it's just a pain we'll have to live with I guess.

#32 4 years ago

I am one more in favor of comet. Tried a bunch of other sellers, lots of bad bulbs. 25% failure seems about right. Only comet for me.

#33 4 years ago

Comet is good for me foe the long haul. They are more expensive but work better. I can do a game abd 5 months later it still has same brightness. Not so with others.
    Im on pace to spend 2k or more this year with comet .

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

comet 2 smd's are great bulbs, but they def could do some design changes on the 555's to make them easier to install and not have to bend the wires on every single bulb. it's just a pain we'll have to live with I guess.

yep, this was my biggest complaint. I spend more time adjusting the little wires than anything. Cointakers are the same way.

#35 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I won't use anything that isn't a frosted dome. It's hard to find an application they aren't the best for....other then a really weird "hidden" insert.

Thanks

#36 4 years ago

Comet LEDs are the best, I use them in all my machines! I really like when Black Friday/Cyber Monday come around. That's when you stock up and save!

#37 4 years ago

Cheapo LEDs spoken for

#38 4 years ago

34vcjs (resized).jpg34vcjs (resized).jpg

#39 4 years ago
    Quoted from jahbarron:

1 led not that great of a bulb. Not bright at all. Anyone try to go direct to the china sources and buy? https://www.alibaba.com/countrysearch/CN/led-6.3v-pinball.html

#40 4 years ago
    Quoted from Brtlkat:

1 led not that great of a bulb.

The best things in life aren't free. These are. Over a couple hundred of them, too

#41 4 years ago

On the 555,s it would be nice if they had
    copper foil instead of the wire leads similar to a jamma edge connector so the connection would be 100% all the time.

#42 4 years ago

Thanks so much for the kind words @sataneatscheese (and everyone else)! We always love hearing from happy customers.

Quoted from chuckwurt:

Wedge types are finicky for sure. I always try the bulb both directions, fiddle with the wires then try again.

The trick that I use which seems to have the best results, is to bend the wires out at a 45 degree angle, keeping them parallel to the face of the bulb base, like this:

wedgewires (resized).jpgwedgewires (resized).jpg

Quoted from BIGMAC76:

Ouchy...looks like they're discontinuing the low prices... better get them cheap while you can

We haven't significantly changed prices on anything in years, but what you're referring to is the fact that we are discontinuing the bulbs that use the older LED technology in favor of the SMD style newer technology. The LED bulbs worked well in very low use home environments, but dimmed too quickly when used heavily. The SMDs are orders of magnitude more long-lasting, and as a result, they're more expensive.

This was a tough call for us, but we could no longer stand behind the quality of those LED-style bulbs. They worked for some people, but did not meet the expectations of others. After seeing one too many threads about these bulbs dimming, we weren't comfortable with people thinking Comet was the Walmart of bulbs (low prices, low quality). We will definitely lose customers as a result of not carrying them anymore (though there are still about 24,745 left in varying colors/lenses, to be exact), but it's the right thing to do for us from a quality & customer service perspective.

We did recently start carrying a line of Retro SMD bulbs, which are for people who want the reliability of SMDs, with a bulb that's closely matched to incandescents in terms of brightness. The new Retro bulbs are only a little bit cheaper than the 1SMD and 2SMD bulbs, but they're a lot more expensive than the discontinued LED style, unfortunately.

And as for quality overall...

Nearly everyone understands that if you buy enough, there will be an occasional bad bulb, and we appreciate the understanding and forgiveness when it does happen. Do always feel free to reach out if you have issues. We want to know about it, and we will always make things right.

We feel good vibes and love from the pinball community every day, and do our best to keep the ball rolling!

#43 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I find those give a washed-out look on some colored inserts, especially blues and purples. I prefer non-domed 4SMDs for a more saturated versus pale look on those.

#44 4 years ago

I have filled 7 pins with Comet bulbs, I have got smarter along the way, my early (my fault) going with the wrong whites (again my fault) and the leds are now looking old to me. I love the 1 & 2 smd's from Comet, they even have "reasonable" shipping to the great white north, unlike some other pinball shops in the usa.

#45 4 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

I end up having to shaving off the edges with an exacto knife just to get them to fit in the socket. It can take hours to led a game but I don't mind

As far as I know, this is specific to the first generation of wedge sockets, in/around the era of EBD, and Centaur. If it's just a handful of games, I'm not sure that much can be done, but if you're experiencing it with more than a few games, reach out so we can chat about it.

Quoted from RatShack:

A few bulk packs of 2 SMD frosted sunlight and you can do an entire playfield, top and bottom. Way cheaper than some of the kits out there, plus you have spares.

That said, the list of games we sell kits for is slowly growing. More and more, we're keeping extras to a minimum in the kits, which is keeping the cost down so that they're only a little more expensive than buying all the individual bulbs you'd need (plus you save the time of figuring it out).

Quoted from FalconDriver:

I haven't used Comet yet. What do you guys recommend for pops
    for the best overall light distribution? I been playing around with
    my Addams Family with its leds.

It's hard to give a universal recommendation for pop bumpers. In our kits, we often use frosted 2SMD bulbs (https://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/2smd-ct-ft.htm) although they're not really a specialty pop bumper bulb, but...if you're willing to spend a little more, particularly for a game like TAF where the pop bumper area is pretty dark, you might want to check out our pop bumper discs which have lights shining both up and down. That's a good choice to illuminate dark playfield below: https://www.cometpinball.com/Pinball-Pop-Bumper-LED-Light-p/11smdbmpdisc.htm

#46 4 years ago
    Quoted from easye9901:

Comet LEDs are the best, I use them in all my machines! I really like when Black Friday/Cyber Monday come around. That's when you stock up and save!

Same here. Cyber Monday every year from Comet. I just get the Sunlight. Usually about 5 or 6 hundred.

#47 4 years ago
    Quoted from northerndude:

I have filled 7 pins with Comet bulbs, I have got smarter along the way, my early (my fault) going with the wrong whites (again my fault) and the leds are now looking old to me. I love the 1 & 2 smd's from Comet, they even have "reasonable" shipping to the great white north

I think people choose the wrong whites quite often, and I've been thinking we should rename Natural White to Cool White, to avoid any confusion.

Personally, I only use Natural (Cool) White as the primary GI color in about 5-10% of the games I upgrade. I think most of the time they look pale, and sap color from the original artwork. (It's been Stern's color of choice in most games for the last five years...and many of them look a lot better with Sunlight IMO).

The rest of the games I convert end up being a relatively even split between Warm White and Sunlight.

#48 4 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

As far as I know, this is specific to the first generation of wedge sockets, in/around the era of EBD, and Centaur. If it's just a handful of games, I'm not sure that much can be done, but if you're experiencing it with more than a few games, reach out so we can chat about it.

That said, the list of games we sell kits for is slowly growing. More and more, we're keeping extras to a minimum in the kits, which is keeping the cost down so that they're only a little more expensive than buying all the individual bulbs you'd need (plus you save the time of figuring it out).

It's hard to give a universal recommendation for pop bumpers. In our kits, we often use frosted 2SMD bulbs (https://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/2smd-ct-ft.htm) although they're not really a specialty pop bumper bulb, but...if you're willing to spend a little more, particularly for a game like TAF where the pop bumper area is pretty dark, you might want to check out our pop bumper discs which have lights shining both up and down. That's a good choice to illuminate dark playfield below: https://www.cometpinball.com/Pinball-Pop-Bumper-LED-Light-p/11smdbmpdisc.htm

Thanks. Generally having a hard time addressing the dark areas on this play field.

#49 4 years ago
    Quoted from FalconDriver:

Thanks. Generally having a hard time addressing the dark areas on this play field.

I've got, three double spotlight kits (one at the top of each slingshot, and one by the upper right flipper). That makes a huge difference. I also used a white 50SMD matrix strip in the back, with a brightness adjuster (to dim it down a little).

#50 4 years ago

anybody have a comet led list put together for Funhouse?

There are 71 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/comet-leds-are-better-here-is-why-they-all-work?hl=easye9901 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.