(Topic ID: 86463)

Comet LED strips are awesome, and the price is right !!

By pinball_erie

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 159 posts
  • 59 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by OLDPINGUY
  • Topic is favorited by 44 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

37d96766afc8990473c9699c09a9d5029b5d8a53_(resized).jpg
f72af264e7aaedfc0e893c1e841c3a87fdab0c0b_(resized).jpg
l737NiF.jpg
Ex9Axpg.jpg
image.jpg
SAM_1103.jpg
5ZCnVIU.jpg
qULIfVY.jpg
bb5410c9bbd8145032f14ca7a5201c0dccb64510.jpg
DSC01920.jpg
DSC01915.jpg
DSC01912.jpg
DSC01916.jpg
DSC01924.jpg
DSC01925.jpg
DSC01922.jpg
There are 159 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
#101 9 years ago

Has anyone put a strip on the centre drain of TZ? There doesn't seem to be anywhere to tie into, given the length of wire supplied.

#102 9 years ago
Quoted from dluth:

Has anyone put a strip on the centre drain of TZ? There doesn't seem to be anywhere to tie into, given the length of wire supplied.

Just add a length of wire. I've done it many times to get the length I needed.

#103 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Just add a length of wire. I've done it many times to get the length I needed.

Same here. I did it on my TZ and it looks awesome, really lights up the drain spiral. I used white, tried purple first and it didn't look right.

#104 9 years ago
Quoted from dluth:

Yes, but it has been awhile and I can't remember where we tied into. But I know we did not use any extra wire. If I were near the machine I would check for you.

#105 9 years ago

Picture of the led TZ would be awesome

#106 9 years ago

I'm amazed that Art can sell these with all of the adapters for the price.
I added a 7 segment to my Space Station just above the three drop targets. Made a BIG difference. I ended up soldering it to one of the GI sockets under the playfield. I'll also post this on the Space Station forum link too.

// Error: Image 332852 not found //
// Error: Image 332853 not found //

#107 9 years ago

Here are the pictures that didn't get linked.

DropTarget1.jpgDropTarget1.jpg
DropTarget2.jpgDropTarget2.jpg

#108 9 years ago
Quoted from DennisAZ:

I'm amazed that Art can sell these with all of the adapters for the price.

Maybe a bit of a mistake.....$1.00 profit each after all is done, but I dont do this just for money....

I LOVE seeing pics like you posted, and all the cool places you guys have found to use them!

Reward Enough!!!!!

#109 9 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Maybe a bit of a mistake.....$1.00 profit each after all is done, but I dont do this just for money....
I LOVE seeing pics like you posted, and all the cool places you guys have found to use them!
Reward Enough!!!!!

Oh come on now Art....we all know you live in a big fancy mansion and drive big fine cars down in Florida.

#110 9 years ago

Here is a Cobra night light I made a mounting for, lit it with a red 6.3v 7 led strip from Comet and mounted it on my Mustang Pro. It's tied into a pop bumper led so it flashes when that pop is hit. Turned out great.

IMGA0492.JPGIMGA0492.JPG IMGA0495.JPGIMGA0495.JPG IMGA0502.JPGIMGA0502.JPG IMGA0500.JPGIMGA0500.JPG IMGA0503.JPGIMGA0503.JPG IMGA0504.JPGIMGA0504.JPG IMGA0505.JPGIMGA0505.JPG
#111 9 years ago

With T# I took off the metal subway that is behind the pf back board and put a Comet red 6.3v 7 led strip inside it at the entrance and a blue 7 led strip at the exit. Looks great.

IMGA0473.JPGIMGA0473.JPG IMGA0482.JPGIMGA0482.JPG IMGA0483.JPGIMGA0483.JPG IMGA0484.JPGIMGA0484.JPG IMGA0488.JPGIMGA0488.JPG IMGA0490.JPGIMGA0490.JPG
#112 9 years ago

So, I just tried installing some of these on my PinBot last night. I had mixed results, though that has everything to do with my own ignorance, not the product itself.

I want to do 2 things my game; first, add light on either side of the visor, illuminating the ramp in blue and red. This worked pretty well; I had to fish some wires a bit to get to a spot where I could clip on to the GI main line under the play field, but they work nicely and add tons of light to the somewhat dark back of the play field.

My second idea is, I want to tie in some LED strips to the insert blinkers which come on with timed shots (Energy Value and Solar Value to those familiar with PinBot). I added the strips and clipped them to those bulb sockets, but then things went a little haywire - all the lamp matrix bulbs lighting up dimly all the time. Then one of the strips just went out.

I'm still learning (the hard way) how a most of the electrical systems in my games work; my first guess is that I need to use the 12v strips on lamp matrix applications? But that's just me guessing. You guys have any insights?

#113 9 years ago

(I'll post photos once i get all this squared away, Art!)

#114 9 years ago

Seth, what bulbs do the sockets have in them? Big ones #89? If so those are 12v and you burned up the 6.3v strip. Do you have all leds in your GI?

#115 9 years ago

No, they're just regular #44 bayonet base. My lamps are all LED except for the flashers.

#116 9 years ago
Quoted from sethbenjamin:

No, they're just regular #44 bayonet base. My lamps are all LED except for the flashers.

Well that's 6.3v then not 12v. All lamps are led, that's good. But I've never had a problem like you described but that is an older game. I can't think of anything that would cause your problem.

#117 9 years ago

I cant either....You may need to start a separate thread on this....

What is different or could cause the addition of a strip to a flashing controlled insert, that would cause feedback back down the line, in a BOP, that would cause this?
What is the solution?

Sorry...I am stumped, and have never worked on a BOP, or games in this series to test or know....

#118 9 years ago

Pinbot, not Bride of Pinbot! Not that it makes that much difference, they're both System 11 games

I'll start up a thread and see what we can come up with. Curious to get to the bottom of it! There might be some insight from the guy who's working on the bicycle girl Walking Dead light mod...

#119 9 years ago

I got an answer, and it's so simple.
When you attach the strips to matrix lamp sockets, you have to be sure to clip one lead *behind* the diode. Otherwise you're connecting a whole row of the matrix.
5 minutes' worth of consideration or a simple "hey, how do I attach this" on this thread would have told me all I needed to know. My bad, entirely.
New strips ordered. Now I want to put them on everything.

#120 9 years ago
Quoted from sethbenjamin:

I got an answer, and it's so simple.
When you attach the strips to matrix lamp sockets, you have to be sure to clip one lead *behind* the diode. Otherwise you're connecting a whole row of the matrix.
5 minutes' worth of consideration or a simple "hey, how do I attach this" on this thread would have told me all I needed to know. My bad, entirely.
New strips ordered. Now I want to put them on everything.

Just look at my past posts and topics, I've used them a lot.

#121 9 years ago

To see my latest led strip mod for my new NASCAR game go to "My Custom NASCAR Topper & mod talk". I LOVE these strips.

2 months later
#122 9 years ago
Quoted from herg:

WARNING: System failure! Cannot disengage!

lol...

2 months later
#123 8 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I LOVE these strips.

Me too!

The natural white 7 SMD strips worked great to light the ship and topper in my Maverick. Also used a blue 3 SMD for the gutter.

LaurenBelle.JPGLaurenBelle.JPG

Topper.JPGTopper.JPG

gutter.JPGgutter.JPG
2 months later
#124 8 years ago

What wires do you tend to link these strips to? Do you link them to GI? Or just piggyback onto another wire?

#125 8 years ago

Right at this time, strips can be alligator clipped to GI, or other 6.3V input, like inserts.
They can also be soldered, or socket attachments are included.

Being released in a few weeks, is our new Matrix system, with a larger variety and length of strips, brightness controls and more,
that will plug into any socket, without loosing the original light source. This will work with existing strips, as well as all the new ones
being offered.

It will take just minutes, to add all kinds of additional lighting, and affects, with a simple bulb change.

Formal announcements of a soft release should be in just a couple of weeks.

Art

#126 8 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Right at this time, strips can be alligator clipped to GI, or other 6.3V input, like inserts.
Being released in a few weeks, is our new Matrix system, with a larger variety and length of strips, brightness controls and more,
that will plug into any socket, without loosing the original light source. This will work with existing strips, as well as all the new ones
being offered.
It will take just minutes, to add all kinds of additional lighting, and affects, with a simple bulb change.
Art

Way to go Art and as usual LEADING THE WAY in bulb tech and innovation.

#127 8 years ago

Thank you Paul, but you know its your dialogue that inspired it!

First set is shipped to you for testing, and my thanks!

#128 8 years ago

Well thanks Art. But for you to think it's a good idea and to make a way to see it happens is the real genius. I'm just an idea's kind a guy. Take my leg light up idea.

#129 8 years ago

I too thank you Art for the great lights, man those LED 3 and 7 strips make a huge difference in the pins, and the fluted dome's are really fantastic. Looking forward to seeing this latest innovation.

DSC01922.jpgDSC01922.jpg

DSC01925.jpgDSC01925.jpg

DSC01924.jpgDSC01924.jpg

DSC01916.jpgDSC01916.jpg

DSC01912.jpgDSC01912.jpg

DSC01915.jpgDSC01915.jpg

DSC01920.jpgDSC01920.jpg

bb5410c9bbd8145032f14ca7a5201c0dccb64510.jpgbb5410c9bbd8145032f14ca7a5201c0dccb64510.jpg

#130 8 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I too thank you Art for the great lights, man those LED 3 and 7 strips make a huge difference in the pins, and the fluted dome's are really fantastic. Looking forward to seeing this latest innovation.

DSC01922.jpg DSC01925.jpg DSC01924.jpg DSC01916.jpg DSC01912.jpg DSC01915.jpg DSC01920.jpg bb5410c9bbd8145032f14ca7a5201c0dccb64510.jpg

Lookin goooood.

#131 8 years ago

Simple and effective. Love these things. Single green strip in creech and 2 yellow strips in the firing range of Police Force and a red strip in the jail

Video of Police Force here:http://vid.me/e/Wuji

qULIfVY.jpgqULIfVY.jpg
5ZCnVIU.jpg5ZCnVIU.jpg

#132 8 years ago

Two strips on the back of Taxi's Express way signs. Joe

SAM_1103.jpgSAM_1103.jpg

#133 8 years ago

Got a few in the back of my TZ, it's way too dark without them. Looking forward to the new products a lot. Clown vomit, I'm ashamed.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#134 8 years ago

Looks great!!! When I had my TZ I put 12v. strips under the mini playfield. You should try the g.i. strips there.

#135 8 years ago

I've got the 6.3v, 7 led strips all over my games, especially under the long plastics that have no bulbs like on one plastic on Mustang or just one or two bulbs. They spread out and smooth the light perfectly. Can't wait to see the new stuff.

#136 8 years ago

New light strips? Sounds great. I have several light strips in my Getaway and love them.

#137 8 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

New light strips? Sounds great. I have several light strips in my Getaway and love them.

Yup a bunch of new stuff comin down the pipe from Comet, that Art never rests. You saw the way they lit up my gauge plastics above the sling plastics didn't you?

#138 8 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

being offered.
Art

This is awesome, Art! Can't wait to see them, I'm always looking for new and creative lighting ideas and you always have the best products.

1 month later
#139 8 years ago

Well, I finally installed led bulbs in my back box. I've followed Art's advice : mainly some 2 smd 2835 (frosted- natural and sunlight white) and some colored frosted on Yoda, Vador and the Death Star, all from Comet. The result is amazing.

The 2835 is really a good choice. And I am now considering to do leds in the inserts.

Some pinsiders say that the best thing to do is to choose colored leds to match the insert color. I am not sure about this. I've tried to light up the inserts with 2835. Honestly the result is excellent. Actually, the bulb provides a strong white light and the color of the insert itself makes the job....

This is true with all inserts except the red ones. With a white light, the red turns to orange... This is probably why some advocate using red bulbs under red inserts...

Suggestions ?

Thanks.....

#140 8 years ago
Quoted from softail:

Some pinsiders say that the best thing to do is to choose colored leds to match the insert color. I am not sure about this. I've tried to light up the inserts with 2835. Honestly the result is excellent. Actually, the bulb provides a strong white light and the color of the insert itself makes the job....
This is true with all inserts except the red ones. With a white light, the red turns to orange... This is probably why some advocate using red bulbs under red inserts...

I use the white bulbs in the inserts mostly because I like the way they make the facets of the inserts "sparkle". If you look at a new Stern you'll see what I'm saying. For white clear inserts I will put colored clear bulbs in them if I think it makes sense to do so otherwise I leave white clear bulbs in. Putting colored bulbs in colored inserts can make the decals printed on them difficult to see..."color bombed" if you will.

#141 8 years ago

Regarding inserts and color matching.

Certainly, a color match results in a darker, more saturated color.
and Twin 2835 can be used in Yellow and orange to match as they are bright enough.

Frosted is recommended for older games...it will help hide surface scratches.

Regarding white in red, the answer/issue is less the bulb, but more the plastic insert.

Perhaps, you have seen some Blues that after 30 years, the color has lightened or decayed.
A white light wont look good at all. Blue, or Ice Blue, will restore the color insert.

On red, its similar. The batch of plastic, the amount of UV/Sunlight a game has received over its life, etc.

No standard rule. Reds, ....white or Red.

One just needs to try, and see what is right for them and their eyes, relative to the game, and home lighting conditions.

#142 8 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Regarding inserts and color matching.
Certainly, a color match results in a darker, more saturated color.
and Twin 2835 can be used in Yellow and orange to match as they are bright enough.
Frosted is recommended for older games...it will help hide surface scratches.
Regarding white in red, the answer/issue is less the bulb, but more the plastic insert.
Perhaps, you have seen some Blues that after 30 years, the color has lightened or decayed.
A white light wont look good at all. Blue, or Ice Blue, will restore the color insert.
On red, its similar. The batch of plastic, the amount of UV/Sunlight a game has received over its life, etc.
No standard rule. Reds, ....white or Red.
One just needs to try, and see what is right for them and their eyes, relative to the game, and home lighting conditions.

All true.

#143 8 years ago

I've been using this as my general rule of thumb:

• Color match red, green, blue.
  • Warm whites on yellows, ambers. The LED's I have (not Art's) for yellows and oranges aren't bright enough behind the yellow and amber inserts. If I'm low on warm whites, I might use cold whites - but I'll consistently use one or the other through the entire game when filling that insert. Eyes are really good at picking out inconsistencies in colors.
  • Warm or cold whites on white inserts - depends on the theme of the game.

I almost always use frosted. Some games have exposed bulbs - for those I'll consider retro warm whites.

MustangPaul, your whites in inserts is interesting for "Sparkle". I'll have to keep in mind to try that depending on the title. I'm guessing retros/bare bulbs would be better here vs frosted, if it works for the color combination with the age/wear on the inserts.

#144 8 years ago

I use the fluted domes in the GI and inserts, they work great. In bad spots on older games then yeah a frosted light works well, in my older Williams/Bally's I love the 555 fluted domes in the inserts, really has a cool effect.

#145 8 years ago
Quoted from jfesler:

MustangPaul, your whites in inserts is interesting for "Sparkle". I'll have to keep in mind to try that depending on the title. I'm guessing retros/bare bulbs would be better here vs frosted, if it works for the color combination with the age/wear on the inserts.

Actually from the new Star Trek on Stern used all clear whites in their inserts. I just love the look in ST and Mustang.

#146 8 years ago

Just used a couple comet led strips to light the city and skill shot holes in roadshow.

l737NiF.jpgl737NiF.jpg

I also put white under the ramp entry on the left, and a pair in the center drain.

Ex9Axpg.jpgEx9Axpg.jpg

I know, I know I need to clean it again, but its a work in progress, the game was unbelievably filthy.

#147 8 years ago
Quoted from softail:

The 2835 is really a good choice. And I am now considering to do leds in the inserts.

personally, i dont use anything else.

GI, inserts, backbox.

obviously flexs when needed.

mostly frosted 2835s, but some instances, ill go the clear.

and might experiment with something else in the pops.

5 months later
#148 8 years ago

Has anyone used the Comet system on a game with an OCD GI board? I just got some and the LEDs don't light. I get about 4.2 V at the bulb. I'm guessing that's not enough to power the LED strips.

#149 8 years ago

Comet's gear is awesome, I use it for the full lighting kits for the snackbar mod in which I use the 10 x smd led strips to edge light the light blades, then a led with an adapter lead so the led strip can be connected to the GI and then a flex led as well as the mod is taller than the original plastic for under the dome, and lastly a extender lead (between the GI and led strip) for easier removal of the mod. Comet supplies all the gear with their Matrix system.

Buy with confidence

f72af264e7aaedfc0e893c1e841c3a87fdab0c0b_(resized).jpgf72af264e7aaedfc0e893c1e841c3a87fdab0c0b_(resized).jpg

37d96766afc8990473c9699c09a9d5029b5d8a53_(resized).jpg37d96766afc8990473c9699c09a9d5029b5d8a53_(resized).jpg

#150 8 years ago
Quoted from Rferullo:

Has anyone used the Comet system on a game with an OCD GI board? I just got some and the LEDs don't light. I get about 4.2 V at the bulb. I'm guessing that's not enough to power the LED strips.

I have 3 of them on games and Comet bulbs work perfect.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
4,690 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
La Porte, TX
$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 14.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Monroe Township, NJ
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 35.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

There are 159 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/comet-led-strips-are-awesome-and-the-price-is-right/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.