(Topic ID: 86463)

Comet LED strips are awesome, and the price is right !!

By pinball_erie

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 159 posts
  • 59 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by OLDPINGUY
  • Topic is favorited by 44 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

37d96766afc8990473c9699c09a9d5029b5d8a53_(resized).jpg
f72af264e7aaedfc0e893c1e841c3a87fdab0c0b_(resized).jpg
l737NiF.jpg
Ex9Axpg.jpg
image.jpg
SAM_1103.jpg
5ZCnVIU.jpg
qULIfVY.jpg
bb5410c9bbd8145032f14ca7a5201c0dccb64510.jpg
DSC01920.jpg
DSC01915.jpg
DSC01912.jpg
DSC01916.jpg
DSC01924.jpg
DSC01925.jpg
DSC01922.jpg
There are 159 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
#51 10 years ago

Funny!....Coffee clean up of my screen...

#52 10 years ago

Warning: Failure to comply.

#53 10 years ago
Quoted from herg:

WARNING: System failure! Cannot disengage!

Quoted from Patofnaud:

Warning: Failure to comply.

too true, too true!

#54 10 years ago

Glad to see these starting to take off. They really are a great product. I use them on my AC/DC roof top mod and they have been perfect for it.

Tip for everyone. These strips come with the water resistant cover on them. If you want other colors than white or purple I've found that a couple of coats of transparent paint works great. For the lights in my mod I paint 3 red, 3 blue and leave one white. Color is good and doing this allows you to make multiple colors and still use the product if you need a different color.

#55 10 years ago

Just placed an order for some LED strips - those are just what I was looking for! Might put a couple in the back corners of Creature where there are no GI lights under the corner plastics.

1 week later
#56 9 years ago

I used one of the 3 LED strips on IM to light up the Whiplash target area. Works perfectly for that application.

#57 9 years ago

Thanks Rob!

The Prototype RGB, in 6.3V with a hard wired remote, has passed inspection, and production is on its way.
That will have 20 colors, 5 brightness and affects....No remote to pay for or lose.
3 SMD, 7 SMD, and 6 SMD Pads, to hook to any feature or GI...Have your outhole flash for the tiny extra ball
light for extra ball in TZ, to flippers, VUK, Back Box etc...Put Several in your Backbox, TZ for the RGB door, or a color change anywhere....Very excited! I have also added the dedicated single colors in Red and Blue.

Bumper Rings are in production Color on top and Bottom, and Color on Top, White on Bottom, testing Purple and Cyan as well! No Caps, you already have them, they should be less then $8.00.

What else, oh first proto on Dedicated RGB Speaker Rings...I expect less then $30, and working on more!

#58 9 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Thanks Rob!
The Prototype RGB, in 6.3V with a hard wired remote, has passed inspection, and production is on its way.
That will have 20 colors, 5 brightness and affects....No remote to pay for or lose.
3 SMD, 7 SMD, and 6 SMD Pads, to hook to any feature or GI...Have your outhole flash for the tiny extra ball
light for extra ball in TZ, to flippers, VUK, Back Box etc...Put Several in your Backbox, TZ for the RGB door, or a color change anywhere....Very excited! I have also added the dedicated single colors in Red and Blue.
Bumper Rings are in production Color on top and Bottom, and Color on Top, White on Bottom, testing Purple and Cyan as well! No Caps, you already have them, they should be less then $8.00.
What else, oh first proto on Dedicated RGB Speaker Rings...I expect less then $30, and working on more!

Great news cant wait to order some and those prices are great you the man art

#59 9 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I have also added the dedicated single colors in Red and Blue.

Sweet, are these available now? I didn't see the color options on your site.

What timeframe are you expecting that the 20 color ones would be available through the site?

#60 9 years ago

Both Products should arrive in approx 4 weeks +/- a bit....

4 months later
#61 9 years ago

Hello,

Has somebody installed these strips in a backbox ??

#62 9 years ago

I used 3 purple 7 led strips to light the backfield on Who Dunnit? Worked out great! Art's products and pricing are great.

#63 9 years ago

I've tried these in the drain area on two Bally/Williams games (Judge Dredd and Johnny Mnemonic) and both seem to give the ball a strobe effect. It was distracting and made the ball so hard to see that that I had to unplug the strip. Has anyone else seen this on B/W games and if so, is there a solution? These were the 7 SMD natural white strips.

#64 9 years ago

No. Got them on mine and no problems. Maybee you should try tying it in somewhere else or ya had a bad connection?

#65 9 years ago

Depending on the height of your slings, if mounted on the Apron, they can be raised or lowered in its position to light above or below the slings. In some games, this may or may not be the look one wants...so many variations.
When mounting in an outhole, lights pointing out will reflect off a ball and cause this issue.
There are a few choices to solve. Mount on the underside of the Apron pointing down, or create a diffusion layer. A frosted plastic strip cut from a container can be hot glued slightly raised off of strip to diffuse the light...just like a frosted bulb does. You can diffuse clear plastic with a few swipes of sandpaper, or a little acetone, (nail polish remover).

I too, find this issue on some games, even with clear bulbs stock in IMVE, and new shiny balls....

Art

#66 9 years ago
Quoted from softail:

Has somebody installed these strips in a backbox ??

I have a few set up on the back of backboxes (showing on the wall) to create a little more light in the room. I think they look good. Just tied in to the backbox lightboard GI wiring.

#67 9 years ago

Actually, I mean : has somebody plugged these strips INSIDE the BB ? My SW DE translite is too dark. I don't really know what kind of led bulbs could fix that. So may be led strips...? SOme ideas ?

#68 9 years ago
Quoted from softail:

My SW DE translite is too dark. I don't really know what kind of led bulbs could fix that.

well if they are just the wedge, use the 4smds. that'll light her up a bit better.

#69 9 years ago

I am actually looking to get these strips but don't know where to put them. I would like to put on either sm, bdk, or TZ.

Any thoughts on location?

#70 9 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Depending on the height of your slings, if mounted on the Apron, they can be raised or lowered in its position to light above or below the slings. In some games, this may or may not be the look one wants...so many variations.
When mounting in an outhole, lights pointing out will reflect off a ball and cause this issue.
There are a few choices to solve. Mount on the underside of the Apron pointing down, or create a diffusion layer. A frosted plastic strip cut from a container can be hot glued slightly raised off of strip to diffuse the light...just like a frosted bulb does. You can diffuse clear plastic with a few swipes of sandpaper, or a little acetone, (nail polish remover).
I too, find this issue on some games, even with clear bulbs stock in IMVE, and new shiny balls....
Art

I thought about diffusing the light a bit, I'll have to give that a shot. Thanks for the ideas.

#71 9 years ago
Quoted from herg:

I had thought I was going to try the strips for sideways illumination of the playfield, but I've had difficulty deciding where to stick them. What I was referring to was the hooded spot Art posted back here:
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/comet-led-strips-are-awesome-and-the-price-is-right#post-1568850
If this could be placed in an existing socket, then aimed, I'm hoping more light could be directed across the playfield and less up through the plastics. The games I'm really thinking of are AFM and TZ, but attempting to get rid of the spotlights on Tron and Metallica would be really nice as well.

Here's a sideways strip instal for ya herg.
IMGA0224.JPGIMGA0224.JPG
IMGA0231.JPGIMGA0231.JPG
IMGA0232.JPGIMGA0232.JPG

#72 9 years ago
Quoted from softail:

My SW DE translite is too dark. I don't really know what kind of led bulbs could fix that. So may be led strips...? SOme ideas ?

I suppose you could try a strip or two in the back box...because they can plug in anywhere or clip to any 6.3V source, its a fun thing to try in many different places.
But specifically on SW, We did one this weekend. The lettering are 4 SMD, the surrounding areas are
a mix of Frosted Twin 2835 in White, and sunlight, on the figures, and frosted 5050 inbetween to create
some light depth, Youda is a 6mm frosted Green retro to light only his face...other sizes begin to bleed into the letters. Frosted Twin 2835, are what is in IMVE TWD (Clear though) and are pretty sweet for brightening up everywhere. Its always a matter of "how bright" which is personal.

Pic is attached.

Quoted from Pinphila:

I am actually looking to get these strips but don't know where to put them. I would like to put on either sm, bdk, or TZ.

Any thoughts on location?

The most common use is in the apron to light outlanes, or in drain. They can be used in scoops to light
in TZ, Gumball, back splash, dark upper right corner...
Think of it this way. Look at your game, see where it is dark, and you want more light.
Can you achieve this with a brighter bulb....? sometimes Yes. If not a 3 or 7 SMD strip might help.
an additional spotlight might be your answer.
Or an analogy. Any game is like a room in your house, you come home with a new table lamp, you
look around the room for where it is dark, and if it will fit...you give it a shot.
(Of course, your partner and friends will want you to move it!)

Some people would like it easy, so it can plug and play, other times, like Paul, an idea is created.

As this is new to market, perhaps others will post, but creativity, is likely the best rule of thumb.

I hope this is a little help.

BTW...Warm white strips, which are new, will be in shortly.

Star Wars.jpgStar Wars.jpg
Star Wars before.jpgStar Wars before.jpg

#73 9 years ago

I'm so glad this thread got resurrected, I totally missed it the first time and I am pumped to try this out. Space Shuttle is such a dark game (even with led's in all the inserts). I'm ready to head home and plan out where I could place a few of these to illuminate some of the dark areas better.

#74 9 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Some people would like it easy, so it can plug and play, other times, like Paul, an idea is created.

Speaking of ideas and light strips Art I lit up the Space Shuttle and the Astronaut that are on the tl of Space Station with 2 of your 7 led strips. Both light up perfect with none of the hot spotting from just single bulbs.
IMGA0259.JPGIMGA0259.JPG
IMGA0260.JPGIMGA0260.JPG
IMGA0261.JPGIMGA0261.JPG
IMGA0262.JPGIMGA0262.JPG

#75 9 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

The most common use is in the apron to light outlanes, or in drain.

Here's one I put on the center drain of Mustang.

IMGA0987.JPGIMGA0987.JPG
IMGA0983.JPGIMGA0983.JPG
IMGA0986.JPGIMGA0986.JPG

These last 2 were taken from right above and a little in front of the drain. When in the players position the strip can't be seen at all so it isn't blinding the player.

IMGA0984.JPGIMGA0984.JPG
IMGA0988.JPGIMGA0988.JPG

#76 9 years ago

Thanks Paul,

I guess you deserve the role of strip-master!

Thanks for sharing with everyone, much appreciated....you have that creative spark!

#77 9 years ago

Thanks Art, these strips were your best invention ever. Really looking forward to the Florida show in Nov.

#78 9 years ago

Thanks Paul!...What Show?....I'm putting you to work counting Bulbs!

Shows are IAPPA, and Free Play.
Hopefully, the Hobbit will be there to plat along with TWD...

IAPPA is a must show for amusement fans...

#79 9 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Thanks Paul!...What Show?....I'm putting you to work counting Bulbs!

I can do that.....let's see, two for you one for me.....three for you two for me.........I know how to do that.

This is going to be my first show so I'm gonna be a babe in the woods. Definitly bringing my camera.

#80 9 years ago

Has there been any progress with the RGB color change strips?

#81 9 years ago

Still testing solutions....
We have it working on AC, and differently working on DC, but not controlled DC.
More prototype solutions are arriving this week.
The delays are "solutions" that dont last, as there is no pinball machine in this Part of China to test
But still working on it....

#82 9 years ago

Thanks Art, great job on the SWDE, it makes a huge difference of brightness....

But I'd prefer something like the 2 pics below : more contrast in the colors to uplight the caracters, death star, ships....

DO you think I could do that with some 3-leds colored strips ?
SWDE1.jpgSWDE1.jpg
SWDE2.jpgSWDE2.jpg

#83 9 years ago

softail - you can do that on DESW without using strips just using single SMD bulbs but you could use strips as well. Just use the proper connector. Easy to switch back if you don't like it.
Have fun and share pics when you are done! Cheers!

#84 9 years ago

True...trying to match pictures when cameras, and monitors at home can account for a huge difference.
Using frosted 2835, gives you the brightest bulbs, without spotting.
Anything brighter, would be a truly unique custom diffusion set up...I personally cant see the effort or
expense.
They main difference between the pictures, is more blue in one over another, and a few reds.
If you line all the pictures up...yours and mine, youll see color choice differences....

#85 9 years ago

There are two plastic girders that run along the top of the backboard of Demolition Man that sit dark 95% of the time despite having transparent blue plastic worked into their design. This is an area BEGGING to be lit up. There are three flashers back there...but their use is limited, leaving the plastics dark most of the time.

image-123.jpgimage-123.jpg

I've seen TNT Amusements drill out an extra four or five holes in the backboard and install sockets so that Superbright LEDs (they hardly use any other brightness) can be placed in there. This option makes for a very centralized and distracting lighting effect, in my opinion. I picked up a few SMD light strips from Comet and hoped this would give the light more wash, rather than the centralized throw found in TNT's modification of the game. Comet’s detachable male/female ends to the strip lights make for less of a destructive footprint when drilling out the backboard: you need only drill a hole large enough to feed the female lead of the wire through, rather than having to feed an entire socket or bulb through. I went with Comet's blue SMD strips...but I suppose white would have worked as well, as the transparent plastic already has a blue hue. I wired up the lights for each plastic girder to one common lead as seen in the photo attached. The smaller left girder was lit using two 3-SMD strips, and the larger right one (pictured) was lit using two 7-SMDs and one 3-SMD. No modification to the plastic pieces themselves needed to be done...the SMD strips come with adhesive backing and I attached them to the inside top of the plastic allowing the SMD glow to shine downward rather than directly at the player.

image-584.jpgimage-584.jpg

With a common lead for each, I only needed to drill two holes in the backboard to feed the female lead through. Once fed through, I attached the male 47-bulb style end. To keep things tidy, I wired in two extra sockets off of the general illumination string that lights up the rear portion of the playfied (which are also mounted to the backside of the backboard). Leads plugged into the sockets and voila...a nice subtle blue glow to the upper rear of the playfield.

image-848.jpgimage-848.jpg

Matches the overall "blue-ness" of the game, and makes for a great contrast against the red lights of the ACMAG and Cryo-Claw. Even with the plastics being constantly lit, the flashers still have a discernible effect when they are activated. I’ve always been a loyal Comet customer…big thanks to Art for affordable and innovative products that allow the community to get creative with their machines.

Rob
Creditdotpinball.com

#86 9 years ago
Quoted from spiroagnew:

There are two plastic girders that run along the top of the backboard of Demolition Man that sit dark 95% of the time despite having transparent blue plastic worked into their design. This is an area BEGGING to be lit up. There are three flashers back there...but their use is limited, leaving the plastics dark most of the time.

I've seen TNT Amusements drill out an extra four or five holes in the backboard and install sockets so that Superbright LEDs (they hardly use any other brightness) can be placed in there. This option makes for a very centralized and distracting lighting effect, in my opinion. I picked up a few SMD light strips from Comet and hoped this would give the light more wash, rather than the centralized throw found in TNT's modification of the game. Comet’s detachable male/female ends to the strip lights make for less of a destructive footprint when drilling out the backboard: you need only drill a hole large enough to feed the female lead of the wire through, rather than having to feed an entire socket or bulb through. I went with Comet's blue SMD strips...but I suppose white would have worked as well, as the transparent plastic already has a blue hue. I wired up the lights for each plastic girder to one common lead as seen in the photo attached. The smaller left girder was lit using two 3-SMD strips, and the larger right one (pictured) was lit using two 7-SMDs and one 3-SMD. No modification to the plastic pieces themselves needed to be done...the SMD strips come with adhesive backing and I attached them to the inside top of the plastic allowing the SMD glow to shine downward rather than directly at the player.

With a common lead for each, I only needed to drill two holes in the backboard to feed the female lead through. Once fed through, I attached the male 47-bulb style end. To keep things tidy, I wired in two extra sockets off of the general illumination string that lights up the rear portion of the playfied (which are also mounted to the backside of the backboard). Leads plugged into the sockets and voila...a nice subtle blue glow to the upper rear of the playfield.

Matches the overall "blue-ness" of the game, and makes for a great contrast against the red lights of the ACMAG and Cryo-Claw. Even with the plastics being constantly lit, the flashers still have a discernible effect when they are activated. I’ve always been a loyal Comet customer…big thanks to Art for affordable and innovative products that allow the community to get creative with their machines.
Rob
Creditdotpinball.com

image-123.jpg 218 KB

image-584.jpg 161 KB

image-848.jpg 240 KB

Great use of the strips, very creative, I love them also. Question why did you use 2-3 bulb strips for the small girder? 7 were too long? Did you know you could have used a 7 and just cut one bulb off. You can go all the way down to 4 if you chose. Of course it would make no sense to go shorter then 4. Also the black shrink wrap on the end of the strip can be cut off so the wires can bend close to the strip so you could have put 3-7 led strips on the long girder.

#87 9 years ago

I love this thread. Keep em coming guys. Love the strips too. I put a blue on underneath my playbody 35th ramp. Originally there was no light there.
IMG_4389.jpgIMG_4389.jpg

1 week later
#88 9 years ago

I thought I read that its okay to trim these? is that true? Would I be able to cut it down to 1 LED and plug and play? what about the part of the strip I trim off can I still use it?

#89 9 years ago
Quoted from PappyBoyington:

I love this thread. Keep em coming guys. Love the strips too. I put a blue on underneath my playbody 35th ramp. Originally there was no light there.

IMG_4389.jpg 170 KB

Perfect use of the strip.

#90 9 years ago
Quoted from bimm25i:

I thought I read that its okay to trim these? is that true? Would I be able to cut it down to 1 LED and plug and play? what about the part of the strip I trim off can I still use it?

Yes you can trim them, I've only trimmed them to 4, don't see why you couldn't go to 1. Never tried to use the trimmed part.

#91 9 years ago
Quoted from bimm25i:

You can Purchase a 3, more economical at $2.95 and I believe trim away. Too hard, I believe to wire the excess.
But if you need only one, you may want a standard Flex 5050 in 555, and bend back wires, disassemble and solder your own wires to the lead...shrink wrap...just another way....

#92 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Great use of the strips, very creative, I love them also. Question why did you use 2-3 bulb strips for the small girder? 7 were too long?

I wanted equal spread of light to the corners of the small girder. A seven strip would have fit but only lit up the middle leaving the ends dark...and a seven strip and a three strip wouldn't fit. Using two three strips was the way to go for me. Better light distribution.

#93 9 years ago
Quoted from spiroagnew:

and a seven strip and a three strip wouldn't fit

You can cut a 7 down to 6-5-4 if you want. I've cut a 7 down to a 4 to make it fit, a 3 was just a little to short. Here it is.

DIY Getaway light mod 3.JPGDIY Getaway light mod 3.JPG
DIY Getaway light mod 4.JPGDIY Getaway light mod 4.JPG

and this is a 7 cut to 4 because 3 wasn't bright enough.

IMGA0134.JPGIMGA0134.JPG
IMGA0136.JPGIMGA0136.JPG

#94 9 years ago

Sweet, didn't want to have to tell Jake Sully he was looking a little pale

1 week later
#95 9 years ago

Had the opportunity to ask Art a few questions about the LED business...can be found here:

http://creditdotpinball.com/2014/10/20/people-art-from-comet-pinball/

Big thanks to Art for being one of the good guys in this hobby and keeping us well stocked with low price/high quality bulbs.

Rob
creditdotpinball.com

#96 9 years ago
Quoted from spiroagnew:

Had the opportunity to ask Art a few questions about the LED business...can be found here:
http://creditdotpinball.com/2014/10/20/people-art-from-comet-pinball/
Big thanks to Art for being one of the good guys in this hobby and keeping us well stocked with low price/high quality bulbs.
Rob
creditdotpinball.com

That was a great read thanks. Art is THE man in led bulbs, no other company comes even close to Comet for innovation, selection and service. You can see some of the things I've done with their led strips. Here is my latest.

IMGA0202-677.JPGIMGA0202-677.JPG IMGA0220.JPGIMGA0220.JPG IMGA0229.JPGIMGA0229.JPG IMGA0231.JPGIMGA0231.JPG IMGA0232.JPGIMGA0232.JPG
#97 9 years ago

Added a 3 LED strip to my Doctor Who Tardis.

I added the strip to the left side (see second pic). The camera washes out the effect, it looks so much better in person.IMG_20141004_203406.jpgIMG_20141004_203406.jpgIMG_20141004_203419.jpgIMG_20141004_203419.jpg

#98 9 years ago
Quoted from eh97ac:

Added a 3 LED strip to my Doctor Who Tardis.
I added the strip to the left side (see second pic). The camera washes out the effect, it looks so much better in person.

IMG_20141004_203406.jpg 301 KB

IMG_20141004_203419.jpg 170 KB

I like it. Did you tie it in to the bulb on top or is it on constantly?

#99 9 years ago
Quoted from KevInBuffalo:

I like it. Did you tie it in to the bulb on top or is it on constantly?

I removed the bulb & socket entirely and used it's wires. The strip is bright enough to illuminate the blue rubber.

1 week later
#100 9 years ago

Heres a couple of pics sent to me by Sterling Rush on a Harley Davidson,
Nice creative use of a 3 SMD Purple under the Bike! Thanks for Sharing!

HArley-SterlingRush1.jpgHArley-SterlingRush1.jpg HArley-SterlingRush2.jpgHArley-SterlingRush2.jpg HArley-SterlingRush.jpgHArley-SterlingRush.jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Hookedonpinball.com

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
There are 159 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/comet-led-strips-are-awesome-and-the-price-is-right/page/2?hl=hoteldrummer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.