Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by tait316
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20181115_214029 (resized).jpg
    1542331980922-1393812943 (resized).jpg
    15423319494111020670129 (resized).jpg
    #1 5 years ago

So I had something odd happen and maybe I'm being a noob about this. I recently ordered some comet led strips to spruce up a table I recently acquired. As many of you know they come with a socket connector or you can use the alligator clips. I clipped the one strip in under the playfield and everything seemed fine. I had a second strip and I piggybacked it off the same alligator clips. I didn't think this would be a problem...everything seemed fine and then BOOM, GI goes out. Sure enough I blew a fuse. Now I'm scared to connect the strips at all. Has anyone else run into this before? If I were to connect them at different spots would I have gotten the same result? Thanks guys...sorry to be a noob. ~_~

#2 5 years ago

I would send comet and email and ask their advice. I had a question about some bulbs for my games as I am also a noob and they responded quickly and we very willing to help in any way.

#3 5 years ago

Sounds like a couple different things could have happened.

1: Hooking up the second strip overloaded the circuit blowing the fuse. If the proper size fuse was in the fuse holder then there's nothing you can do except put in a slightly higher amp fuse. If it's only slightly higher amps it should be fine

2: You accidentally shorted something. Double check and retry with a new fuse.

#4 5 years ago

bowtech Yeah that sounds good. I sent them an email. Let's see what they say. ^_^

hailrazer Good thinking. I'll double check all my connections and make sure I didn't have something loose. I assume that my grounding clip would go on any of the ground wires right?

#5 5 years ago

Why would you piggyback off the same connector? There’s many gi bulbs, pick another. You likely caused a short. You dont say how long the strips are, but two small ones will not blow a fuse if hooked correctly. You should also always have the game off when making alligator clip connections.

There usually isn’t a polarization issue so it doesn’t matter which clip goes on which lug. If there is polarization, the strip just won’t light until you reverse the clips.

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

Why would you piggyback off the same connector? There’s many gi bulbs, pick another. You likely caused a short. You dont say how long the strips are, but two small ones will not blow a fuse if hooked correctly. You should also always have the game off when making alligator clip connections.

I'd agree those strips are pretty small. I highly doubt they caused the fuse to pop. More than likely one of those clips slipped off and touched the other lead or wire it was attached to. Replace the fuse, find another gi blub socket to get power from and I'm sure it will be fine.

#7 5 years ago

Lermods You're right. I should have just done that the first time instead of trying to save time by joining them. I'll have them go to two separate spots.

darcangeloel Sounds good. I'll connect them at different points.

Thanks guys. Thanks for being patient with a noob. ^_^

#8 5 years ago

I'm in the 'clip slipped' club. Just for the sake of asking, is there a current rating on the Comet strip?

#9 5 years ago

mbwalker ~_~ Sometimes things happen...and we learn from them. I don't know of any rating though.....

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from tait316:

lermods You're right. I should have just done that the first time instead of trying to save time by joining them. I'll have them go to two separate spots.
    darcangeloel Sounds good. I'll connect them at different points.
    Thanks guys. Thanks for being patient with a noob. ^_^

No worries . You came to the right place and asked for help. Luckily it was fused correctly so no harm done. I'd much rather you ask for help instead of blowing out one of those boards or something by accident hahaha. Btw it's not a noob thing to mess stuff up, I do it all the time. Then I read vids guide and do it correctly . Let us know if it gives you anymore trouble. Good work and good hunting!

#11 5 years ago

darcangeloel Thanks. I guess the reason I tried to pair them together is because the game I'm lighting has very few GI's to begin with. Another noob question...when you did yours did you connect your ground directly to a ground wire that's stapled to the playfield or does it attach somewhere on the lamp socket? Sorry for all the questions. Gonna go to the hardware store tomorrow and get more fuses. ~_~

#12 5 years ago

If needed Grab a matrix split Bulb connector. It will ensure your GI Light, and allow a secure Plug in connection to help avoid shorts....some areas are crammed tight or might get movement in play.

#13 5 years ago

You should really change the title of this thread as its misleading that there is a problem with comets merchandise before that has been established.

#14 5 years ago

What game is this on? Instead of stringing 2 strips together just get Comets longer strips. But you had 2 shorter strips and didn't wan to make another purchase right?

#15 5 years ago

MustangPaul The reason I got two separate strips was because I was originally going to put them in different games but since my Gold Wings is so dark I decided to put a strip on each side of the apron.

#16 5 years ago

Noob Caution - Make all your underside attachments with the machine powered off (don;t ask me how I know about this!).

#17 5 years ago

Great thread,

Funny enough, I use the same strips in my Gold Wings as areas of the playfield are pretty dark. I added strips around the loop, in the "clouds" next to the loop and under the cloud plastic beside the ramp. I also added a blue strip to the apron above the drain so the area between the flippers is lit up while playing.

Having said all that, did you replace any of the regular bulbs with LED's? Comet recommends they be installed only in games that have a full or partial LED conversion to avoid blowing the fuses. I did a full LED upgrade in my Gold Wings and have piggybacked multiple strips with no issues.

#18 5 years ago

Matesamo good point sir. All the underside lights have been converted but mauve I should replace all the gis and flashers with leds before I reattach.

#19 5 years ago

@markp99 good advice sir.

#20 5 years ago

Check into Comet's Matrix system. I added tons of lighting to my TZ and did not use any clips or solder any connections. Also, if you still have incandescent bulbs then you might not be to add any lighting since a lot of games were already on the edge of overload. I learned that on my first game trying to add light strips before converting to 100% leds. Never do any work with power on. Learned that lesson on my first game as well.

#21 5 years ago

Took all of yours advice. Got those new fuses in....poor in.the strips...checked all the clips. everything seems to be working now. Thanks everyone.

#22 5 years ago

Sounds cool — don’t mean to hijack the thread but can you post a pic or two?

Quoted from jawjaw:

Check into Comet's Matrix system. I added tons of lighting to my TZ and did not use any clips or solder any connections.

#23 5 years ago
    15423319494111020670129 (resized).jpg15423319494111020670129 (resized).jpg1542331980922-1393812943 (resized).jpg1542331980922-1393812943 (resized).jpg
    #24 5 years ago
    Quoted from JimFNB:

Sounds cool — don’t mean to hijack the thread but can you post a pic or two?

It's easy. Here is an example of what I used. On the left is a bulb with a split connector. You can run extensions or splitters of that. Connect other sockets, light strips, post lights, etc. It all uses little connectors so fool proof. You can experiment and see what looks good. Easy to disconnect or add more lights later.

20181115_214029 (resized).jpg20181115_214029 (resized).jpg
    #25 5 years ago

jawjaw oh yeah that's the way to go. I think ill order something like that next time. I shouldn't have ordered the one with out the bulb built in. Id rather not use those alligator clips again. Thanks for the ideas.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/comet-led-issue?hl=tait316 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.