Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 92 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by ypurchn
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

21fhIjaQkOL (resized).jpg
    s-l225 (resized).jpg
    20180302_105541 (resized).jpg
    20180302_105549 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 6 years ago

So I purchased a bunch of comet LEDs for my EBD, centaur, Pacman. But I’m getting really unhappy here. 44s are fine and the bulbs themselves no problems. But getting these damn 555s inserted into sockets is a nightmare. They are not the right size. I’ve aready blown up the connector on my lamp board due to these in my EBD and against my better judgement just shorted out my Centaur GI. People need to beware. I believe I will be sending back. I should add I’m not some neophyte here. I’ve shopped out over 30 games with other bulbs and never had this problem. When you insert a bulb it literally shouldn’t almost push in the entire socket. Thank you comet for just making my life more difficult not simplified.

#2 6 years ago

Interesting.

#3 6 years ago

The 555 bulbs do have a slightly larger base than their incandescent counterparts, but I haven't had any problems with them so far--that has usually helped with poor tension in the socket. Just make sure the lead wires on the bulb are positioned correctly and aren't crossing each other or making contact with the socket where they aren't supposed to.

The other bulb manufacturers use the same style.

I recently ordered another 400 or so bulbs, and didn't notice anything different about these compared to older ones I still have on-hand.

Do you have any photos of where they aren't working in your game?

#4 6 years ago

Those Bally 555 holders are notoriously awful just by themselves aren't they?

#5 6 years ago

Yes...interesting indeed...I'm sure others have used Comet wedge bulbs in their classic Ballys with no issues...unless that's a poor assumption.

#6 6 years ago

I got mine from Cointaker and did not have a shorting issue, but did have a heck of time getting them inserted into my EBD. I ended up taking a dremel and sanding down each one of them and it made it much easier.

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

Yes...interesting indeed...I'm sure others have used Comet wedge bulbs in their classic Ballys with no issues...unless that's a poor assumption.

Yeah it seems weird...my bally as all 44s so I can't comment to that angle.

#8 6 years ago

I bought a bunch of 555's from Comet for an Elektra and I had a heck of a time with them as well and I like the original post have shopped numerous games and never had this hard of a time.

It was something unique to the Comet 555 and 80's solid state games - supper hard insertion and removal. I thought the same - there has to be something wrong with the Comet 555's. I made them work but it was NOT easy.

#9 6 years ago

Did you contact comet? They are well known for helping pinsiders.

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from wamonkey:

I bought a bunch of 555's from Comet for an Elektra and I had a heck of a time with them as well and I like the original post have shopped numerous games and never had this hard of a time.
    It was something unique to the Comet 555 and 80's solid state games - supper hard insertion and removal. I thought the same - there has to be something wrong with the Comet 555's. I made them work but it was NOT easy.

Glad to see I’m not the only one here. I just did my backbox on EBD and fried one of my connectors so bad I have to repin the entire thing.

You literally have to push and shove and even then it doesn’t go in. Unless you like shorted electronics do not use comet 555s in Bally 80s games. It’s a disaster and just cost me more than the cost of the LEDs in time, new lamp board, and frustration. You have been warned

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from Phat_Jay:

Did you contact comet? They are well known for helping pinsiders.

Comet has good customer service. And their LEDs are good in general However their 555 LEDs do not fit in Centaur, Pacman, EBD sockets.

#12 6 years ago

I guess the logical solution would be to put the correct bulbs back in and stop fiddle fking around with this other crap.

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I guess the logical solution would be to put the correct bulbs back in and stop fiddle fking around with this other crap.

Yep going there right now

#14 6 years ago

#15 6 years ago

This sounds incredibly frustrating, and we're looking into it. That being said, please reach out to us with any problems you might be having with any of our products. If we don't know there's a problem we can't fix it. I'm always happy to help in any way I can. Just shoot me an email at [email protected], and we can work together to come up with a solution.

#16 6 years ago

Boom. What he said ^

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

Yep going there right now

More like what he said.

#18 6 years ago

Sounds like more of a problem with the sockets than the bulbs. If the 555 bulbs fit 95% of the games out there how do we come to the conclusion that the bulbs are the problem and not that some odd sockets are to blame in those specific games?

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

Sounds like more of a problem with the sockets than the bulbs. If the 555 bulbs fit 95% of the games out there how do we come to the conclusion that the bulbs are the problem and not that some odd sockets are to blame in those specific games?

Because the 555 actual miniature lamps have fit fine in those sockets for the past 35 years. That's how I come to the conclusion.

#20 6 years ago

I'm blaming the Bally sockets. Changing out the incandescents to leds was a real pain. That said, I have not had any issue once they were installed. One does have to watch out for the bulb wires to make sure they don't move to where they shouldn't while struggling to put them in. Every other game I've used the 555s in, no problems.

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Because the 555 actual miniature lamps have fit fine in those sockets for the past 35 years. That's how I come to the conclusion.

So the fix would be to make them smaller thus making them too small for other games. See the problem here?

#22 6 years ago

Just saw this thread. In the past month I just did a full conversion of my EBD to comet LEDS and had absolutely no problem at all.

I honestly cant even understand what the OP is possibly doing in order to short out a game with a bulb? Can you please explain and maybe provide a few photos of how you have managed to do this?

#23 6 years ago

I have had plenty of examples in SS, Gottlieb, and several years of Stern, where Ill "Suggest" different sockets were used at manufacture, or different injection
    issues at fabrication.
    They obviously fit fine for incandescent, but some LEDs were tight to impossible. The most common were Non Ghosting Bulbs,
    or an attempt with Optix bulbs.
    When I did these games, the solution was to find 1 bulb out of 10, that fit, or I had to fiddle with socket, or take an exacto to the edge of the
    bulb.
    POTC had bunches of games like this.
    While shorting could occur outside the socket, it is more likely that when pushing them into the socket, the wires on the bulb base got pushed
    into a crossed position, creating the short.
    So answers are, different bulbs, different sockets..PITA, adjust bulbs, go back to incandescent.
    Dont forget youll need a board to make LEDs work right is some of these games.
    IMO.

#24 6 years ago

We're trying to work this out with the OP. Rest assured kind pinheads, our bulbs don't just randomly short out games. There is definitely something else at play here, probably caused while trying to forcefully install. The sockets on EBD (and maybe a few others?) are extra tight for some reason, and I suspect you'll have a similar experience regardless of where you buy your LEDs.

If anyone else who sees this is having or has had issues, my advice is don't drive yourself crazy trying to jam them in. Reach out and we can help troubleshoot or offer a refund.

#25 6 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Yep. And most of these crappy aftermarket bulbs not only don't fit right, they can damage the sockets if you force them in.

Regular replacement incandecents, even the cheap ones tend to be the same size as the originals.

#26 6 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

and I suspect you'll have a similar experience regardless of where you buy your LEDs.

Possibly because of few Manufacturers adhering to the same tolerances? Aren't most of these bulbs sourced from just a few Suppliers?

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

Possibly because of few Manufacturers adhering to the same tolerances?

Possibly because most don't give a shit or adhere to the same tolerances as the original bulbs.

#28 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Possibly because most don't give a shit or adhere to the same tolerances as the original bulbs.

Have you thought about starting a no LED club, much like the no rainbow puke club? Seems like you don't care for LEDs, which is fine, but no need to crap on them in this thread. One person's user error doesnt mean "all LEDs are garbage."

#29 6 years ago

Original are glass (smooth) where they slide in. Leds arent. Not just Comets, most any are super tight on old Bally's.. Usually they just won't work.. I'm guessing he pushed hard enough to short one or two out.. Stick a large flat blade screwdriver in the socket first and give a twist..helps a bunch.

#30 6 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

Have you thought about starting a no LED club, much like the no rainbow puke club? Seems like you don't care for LEDs, which is fine, but no need to crap on them in this thread.

Have you thought about stating to your own opinion instead of telling others theirs?

Is there really a need for you to crap on somebody elses?

Quoted from FatPanda:

One person's user error doesnt mean "all LEDs are garbage."

Who is the user that made the error you speak of?

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from Jjsmooth:

Stick a large flat blade screwdriver in the socket first and give a twist..helps a bunch.

You might want to kill power before the screwdriver does that for you.....

#32 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Who is the user that made the error you speak of?

I know your just trying to be condescending here but he's talking about the OP if it wasn't obvious.

Couple major mistakes caused this. Two simple steps would have prevented the unfortunate situation of damaged boards vs just a refund request.

1. Never force electronics.
    2. Change bulbs with power off. Not popular but I do it that way all the time after I saw a friend short something by dropping a screw.

#33 6 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

he's talking about the OP if it wasn't obvious.
    Couple major mistakes caused this. Two simple steps would have prevented the unfortunate situation of damaged boards vs just a refund request.
    2. Change bulbs with power off. Not popular but I do it that way all the time after I saw a friend short something by dropping a screw.

OK, I get that.

But my whole point and I don't know why some here need to get so offended about an opinion on an inanimate object like a light bulb, but the reality is the bulbs are not the right size, which is the nature of the problem in the first place. I've seen it again and again firsthand.

If the company that sells these or any other bulbs wants to correct the issue, they probably need to do a little better quality control and communicate with whoever is making them. And don't send them out unless they are right.

The end user may sometimes use some extra force to try to make things fit because he might think he's bought a quality product that has already undergone inspection that it is the correct size.

#34 6 years ago
    Quoted from Greg-at-Comet:

This sounds incredibly frustrating, and we're looking into it. That being said, please reach out to us with any problems you might be having with any of our products. If we don't know there's a problem we can't fix it. I'm always happy to help in any way I can. Just shoot me an email at [email protected], and we can work together to come up with a solution.

I did reach out to Ryan on Monday. Let him know I bought a couple of other brands of 555s. He told me to tell you how that works out. So yes I told you. No you didn’t really do anything about it.

#35 6 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

I know your just trying to be condescending here but he's talking about the OP if it wasn't obvious.

Look if you sell bulbs that you are calling 555s and they don’t fit then whose damn fault is that. 1) they went in but you have to push really hard 2) it was all done with power off. 3) it blew up after power turned back on 4) I was sold a bulb that I was told was a 555 when it is most definitely NOT a 555 since a real 555 bulb actually fits in the socket 5) forgive me for sharing my stupidity to try to save other from doing the same 6) that whole glass houses thing ...

#36 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I honestly cant even understand what the OP is possibly doing in order to short out a game with a bulb? Can you please explain and maybe provide a few photos of how you have managed to do this?

pookycade can you please answer the above?

I honestly still cant understand exactly HOW you possibly shorted out your game by installing any LED properly? I seriously just used comet LEDs in my EBD a few weeks back and not a single issue. I took my time, had the game off and any tighter sockets I made sure to open up slightly and move slowly without force. It really was not tough to do with the game off and I think maybe 3 total tight sockets.

Genuinely not understanding how it is even possible? A few photos would be great.

#37 6 years ago
    Quoted from Jjsmooth:

Original are glass (smooth) where they slide in. Leds arent. Not just Comets, most any are super tight on old Bally's.. Usually they just won't work.. I'm guessing he pushed hard enough to short one or two out.. Stick a large flat blade screwdriver in the socket first and give a twist..helps a bunch.

That was my next step that and also short testing with my multimeter on every socket before I try to turn in again. And yes it’s does help for sure

#38 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

pookycade can you please answer the above?
    I honestly still cant understand exactly HOW you possibly shorted out your game by installing any LED properly? I seriously just used comet LEDs in my EBD a few weeks back and not a single issue. I took my time, had the game off and any tighter sockets I made sure to open up slightly and move slowly without force. It really was not tough to do with the game off and I think maybe 3 total tight sockets.
    Genuinely not understanding how it is even possible? A few photos would be great.

Honestly I can’t figure it out entirely either. But essentially I shorted one or more of the controlled lamps in the backbox. Usually that takes out what, maybe one or two lamp board transistors. So it’s perplexing for sure. But there is no question that no issues prior to insertion, completely shorted after, short causing enough heat to melt. Odd for sure. Will post pictures later once I dig further into the connector rebuilds

#39 6 years ago

I had a brand new shorted incandescent blow fuses on a DE Star Wars. Took me forever to find it becaus I was looking for pinched wires.

Damn you, China!!!!!

#40 6 years ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

Honestly I can’t figure it out entirely either. But essentially I shorted one or more of the controlled lamps in the backbox. Usually that takes out what, maybe one or two lamp board transistors. So it’s perplexing for sure. But there is no question that no issues prior to insertion, completely shorted after, short causing enough heat to melt. Odd for sure. Will post pictures later once I dig further into the connector rebuilds

Guessing you criss-crossed the LED light wires and shorted across it the actual bulb? Do you bend wires out before install? I find that to be a good trick to avoid shorting out

#41 6 years ago

“The end user may sometimes use some extra force to try to make things fit because he might think he's bought a quality product that has already undergone inspection that it is the correct size.“

^ THAT. Thank you !

#42 6 years ago

Random, but maybe related to your issues if you’re using LEDs...

Quoted from erichill:

Underneath your playfield just in front of the ORBS drop targets is the GI flasher board. Next to this should be a 555 lamp that doesn't appear to be illuminating anything in particular. Check to make sure this bulb is good.
    The reason being, the GI on Centaur is controlled by an SCR on the lamp board which drives a triac mounted on the bottom panel via an optocoupler on the GI flasher board. The LED inside the optocoupler doesn't draw enough current for the SCR to latch so the extra bulb is wired in parallel across the LED to draw the needed current. If this one bulb is bad, the GI won't work correctly.

#43 6 years ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

“The end user may sometimes use some extra force to try to make things fit because he might think he's bought a quality product that has already undergone inspection that it is the correct size.“
    ^ THAT. Thank you !

so did you have to use brut force to install these bulbs?

#44 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Guessing you criss-crossed the LED light wires and shorted across it the actual bulb? Do you bend wires out before install? I find that to be a good trick to avoid shorting out

I did do that but I suspect in the mashing into the socket I either a) shorted the actual socket or b) RE criss crossed the wires.

I’m really not blaming anyone here. Made a mistake. Paid for it. Letting other know what happened so they don’t repeat.

And all comet had to do here was to say they would put some disclaimer there. Or maybe do some testing themselves. But no, they go after me with a “shame on you for not telling us instead of dragging our name into the mud on pinside”. Well actually given this thread I’m damn happy I did and if it results in less sales for them then good.

#45 6 years ago

I’d put an incandescent in the aforementioned, regardless as that was the design.

#46 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

so did you have to use brut force to install these bulbs?

Brute force - NO
    Quite a bit more force than a real 555 - YES

#47 6 years ago

probably smashing the contacts down inside the holder shorting out the two terminals. Normally i'd think the SCR would burn up and act like a fuse, but I guess it could burn the connector too with the rectifier fuse being for feature lamps being like 20a on the later games if nothing else goes open.

#48 6 years ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

But no, they go after me with a “shame on you for not telling us instead of dragging our name into the mud on pinside”. Well actually given this thread I’m damn happy I did and if it results in less sales for them then good.

that is a pretty shitty attitude and honestly I think you have read their post wrongly.

Both Ryan and his employee have been very cordial and are known for great customer service.

I understand that you are pissed you made a mistake and your screw up (sorry but you are the one forcefully jamming the bulb in a socket), but reaching out 3 days ago and telling them you were going to get back to them after trying other bulbs, then trying to roast them on here before getting back to them is not a very nice way to go about it.

It honestly sounds like user error. Some incandescent sockets are tight, you have admitted that using a screw driver to loosen them is a good thing to try, but in this case you jammed in a bulb and messed up your game. The bulb is obviously not the issue here; as I noted I just used the same bulbs in the same game a few weeks back without issue.

#49 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

that is a pretty shitty attitude and honestly I think you have read their post wrongly.
    Both Ryan and his employee have been very cordial and are known for great customer service.
    I understand that you are pissed you made a mistake and your screw up (sorry but you are the one forcefully jamming the bulb in a socket), but reaching out 3 days ago and telling them you were going to get back to them after trying other bulbs, then trying to roast them on here before getting back to them is not a very nice way to go about it.
    It honestly sounds like user error. Some incandescent sockets are tight, you have admitted that using a screw driver to loosen them is a good thing to try, but in this case you jammed in a bulb and messed up your game. The bulb is obviously not the issue here; as I noted I just used the same bulbs in the same game a few weeks back without issue.

To each their own. People can go do whatever the hell they want as far as I am concerned. I’m really not sure why anybody posts threads here anymore since anything that has more than 2 responses turns into a giant crapfest.

I told people bulbs don’t easily fit - not a supposition but a fact

I told people that if they push too hard they will likely snort something so buyer beware.

Comet says - we can’t fix anything if you don’t let us know about it. I let them know about it.

Comet has “great customer service”. Not doubting that- but in this instance NOT or they would have never made that post.

Look if you want just personally go after me as seems to be what you do in most threads- or defend whoever you feel like defending on a given day - also a trend I note with you posts then go right ahead. Free country.

If by doing so you wish to shame me into some other frame of mind - ain’t gonna happen.

#50 6 years ago

Can we confirm my suggestion is not the case, please? You’re not getting anywhere positive by arguing about the size of an LED.

There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/comet-led-555-shorting-our-1980s-bally-solid-states and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.