You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20210507_134816 (resized).jpg
20210507_135233 (resized).jpg
20210507_134739 (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

Restoring a Comet for my personal collection.. I've fixed several issues but now I'm stuck and need some help here.

The lower center pop bumper and left slingshot will not fire. The center pop did have a melted coil that I replaced. These have never worked since I've owned the game.

Here's what I've checked and done:
1. I've replaced the corresponding transistor and pre-driver to each.
2. Swapped out the U6 which is common to both solenoids.
3. Verified voltage is present at both coils
4. Checked that the physical switches are working.
5. Reflowed solder on the header pins.

Still not working. U6 and U7 were in sockets when I got the machine. Someone else has been in this area. Also noticed U58 is socketed. I have double checked the work, continuity is good.

Any ideas?? Thanks!

20210507_134739 (resized).jpg20210507_134739 (resized).jpg20210507_134816 (resized).jpg20210507_134816 (resized).jpg20210507_135233 (resized).jpg20210507_135233 (resized).jpg
#2 2 years ago

Have you checked all components in the circuit? Resistors too. I had my left sling not work and even some of the resistors didn't make it. I ended up just sending it off to Chris Hiber he does great work but it took about 6 months to get it back.

#3 2 years ago

Also replace the socketed chips... after checking resistance on coils to make sure they aren't shorted out

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from Matthew2000tx:

Have you checked all components in the circuit? Resistors too. I had my left sling not work and even some of the resistors didn't make it. I ended up just sending it off to Chris Hiber he does great work but it took about 6 months to get it back.

Yes I have changes transistors, ICs, checked all component values near by. Nothing. I put a Space Shuttle board in and everything works fine. Definitely a boaed issue.
Something else I didn't notice, the special solenoids and flippers are always on, even in attract mode.

May just have Chris tackle this one.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/comet-help-special-solenoids- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.