(Topic ID: 287766)

Comet GI lights fuse keeps blowing on P/S board.

By PinJoint

22 days ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 days ago by TK2012
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DSCN1903 (resized).JPG
    comet (resized).PNG
    DSCN1903 (resized).JPG

#1 22 days ago

Hi, there is a fuse on lower right corner of power supply board keeps blowing. There is a 5A 250v fuse that im not sure is even the correct one. I cant find it on the schematic. Upon turning on, 2 seconds that fuse blew. see pics

DSCN1903 (resized).JPGcomet (resized).PNG
    #2 22 days ago

That looks like a hack someone added, see how you're missing the connector to the GI and it's replaced with zip cord (the brown wires). It was a popular thing to do in the 80's on system 7 to split the GI from one fuse into 4 separate ones like this (see the fuse holders I think the zip cord is going to.) System 9 has this fix applied at the factory according to the schematics, but it still would have been through a (usually burned up) 2 pin connector.

The GI fuse would be a much higher value with incandescent bulbs - as high on 20a on some games.

That section of your power supply where the zip cord is looks like it's got carbon scoring all over the right side of it - that can be conductive (causing the fuse to blow).

If you disconnect the connectors that go out to the GI in the game, (head and playfield) see if the fuse still blows, if it does, it's on the power supply, if not, it still might be a case of needing a larger fuse in the supply. That circuit is dead simple, it's in, relay, out. If if weren't for the need to go through that relay this circuit wouldn't need to hit the power supply board at all.

If it's feeding the 4 fuses that are on the schematics at 5a each, it's going to need a larger fuse in the PS.

#3 22 days ago

I unplugged the hacked brown wire, I put a new 5amp 250v fuse in. But it looked different from the other one. It had a much smaller wire. I put it in, booted it up, nothing, then plugged the hacked wire in and whola, it works somehow. And its been working now after about an hour of playing. So i dont know what exactly did it.

Quoted from slochar:

That looks like a hack someone added, see how you're missing the connector to the GI and it's replaced with zip cord (the brown wires). It was a popular thing to do in the 80's on system 7 to split the GI from one fuse into 4 separate ones like this (see the fuse holders I think the zip cord is going to.) System 9 has this fix applied at the factory according to the schematics, but it still would have been through a (usually burned up) 2 pin connector.
    The GI fuse would be a much higher value with incandescent bulbs - as high on 20a on some games.
    That section of your power supply where the zip cord is looks like it's got carbon scoring all over the right side of it - that can be conductive (causing the fuse to blow).
    If you disconnect the connectors that go out to the GI in the game, (head and playfield) see if the fuse still blows, if it does, it's on the power supply, if not, it still might be a case of needing a larger fuse in the supply. That circuit is dead simple, it's in, relay, out. If if weren't for the need to go through that relay this circuit wouldn't need to hit the power supply board at all.
    If it's feeding the 4 fuses that are on the schematics at 5a each, it's going to need a larger fuse in the PS.

#4 22 days ago
    Quoted from PinJoint:

I unplugged the hacked brown wire, I put a new 5amp 250v fuse in. But it looked different from the other one. It had a much smaller wire. I put it in, booted it up, nothing, then plugged the hacked wire in and whola, it works somehow. And its been working now after about an hour of playing. So i dont know what exactly did it.

Sometimes it’s just dumb luck. Glad it’s working

#5 22 days ago

That same fuse keeps on blowing. It lasted a little while, i probably played at least an hr. Went out , came back to play and noticed no display lights. I dont even know what size fuse to put in? Or is another problem? That fuse isnt on the schematic, i didnt do the brown wire mod either.
    Is it ok to just up the fuse size from 5a to like 8 or 10a?

Update i put a 10A fuse in. I played alot for total about 3hrs. I was in the middle of a tremendous first ball, i was up over a million with an extra ball, it was insane! The lights were blinking all over the playfield and bam the scoring displays went out. I immediately turned it off. I opened the backbox and it was very hot, probably overheated! I turned on and noticed no power to the main board.
    I pulled some fuses and tested while it cooled down. All the fuses were good. About 20-30 minutes later i turned it on again and this time the main board was fine. I played a game to see how it was, it played fine.
    I turned it off. wtf happened?? I think it may have something to do with the 2 wire mod job, but not sure.

#6 21 days ago
    Quoted from slochar:

I put a 10A in and played for about 4hrs until the displays and main board shut down, GI still worked. I opened the box, it was very hot, checked fuses, all good. About half hr later i turned it on and main board turned back on with displays. It was now working correctly.
    So im assuming it overheated? Im worried my board now is in jeopardy. Should i mount a fan in there?
    DSCN1903 (resized).JPG

1 week later
    #7 11 days ago

I think you should take the board off check everything maybe change the bridge rectifier, C9 looks rough also.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 29.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    CzTV Mods
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 2.00
    Tools
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Docquest Pinball Mods
    $ 29.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos LLC
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Toast-Mach1 Mods Shop
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 5,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    The Pinball Place
    $ 36.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 159.00
    $ 55.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 43.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 35.00
    Various Other Swag
    JK Pinball
    $ 109.99
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 10.95
    Tools
    Magaro Machines
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    Playfield - Other
    Rocket City Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside