You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180204_162325 (resized).jpg
EB4C3C12-5A51-46BC-AC64-0009F07999EB (resized).jpeg
download (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Curious if anyone has used these comet flame bulbs in the eyes of the scull in a no fear. Can't find any videos of one. Anyone done this yet?

http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/fire.htm

#2 6 years ago

I have not seen them in No Fear but I'm a big fan of the effect and I think that would be a cool application for it. I added some to the volcano in my Congo and the boiler in my Freddy, both places that previously had no lighting aside from flashers and it livened the playfield up quite a bit.

#3 6 years ago

In your applications can you see the bulb directly or is it through an opaque plastic? The lenses on the scull eyes are red but they are petty see through and you can see the bulbs behind them. I'm not sure if that will take away from the effect.

#4 6 years ago

They were all behind opaque plastic, I think you need that to diffuse the sharpness of the SMDs. You could probably add some film to the eyes if it is too direct.

#5 6 years ago

Thanks for the insight on this. I gotta order some other bulbs next week anyway and we'll see how the flame bulbs work out.

#6 6 years ago

Those flame bulbs are a hoot. I have some in the backglass of my Gladiators behind the meteor storm, and also scattered throughout the backboard to highlight the volcano lava.

I also used them behind the sun on Pinbot's backglass and even in a spotlight on Ripley's to highlight the temple like it was torch lit.

Tons of possibilities for this bulb!

#7 6 years ago

Haven't seen them in any game yet, but bought a handful to try in Jurassic Park's topper

#8 6 years ago

Depends on if you want your own eyes to burn too.

download (resized).jpgdownload (resized).jpg

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Depends on if you want your own eyes to burn too.

Nice. Hopefully they aren't too bright. Already have a F14 full of LEDs that burns the eyes.

#10 6 years ago

I love this style of bulb but they need to be diffused by something. I have them behind my Meteor rockets. Looks cool.

#11 6 years ago

using 2 at a time, creates the better random affect.....because of different uses, a standard lens not only didnt fit a 4 smd, but interfered.
Diffusion definitely is a help, where needed.

I use two in a TWD Barn.....had 3 in congo.....

#12 6 years ago

I have these bulbs in my Dredd Dead World and in my Black Rose in the back ship subway they are cool.
I have a No Fear that has full LED's except for the eyes I like the standard look of the incandescent bulb. I don't think the eye len's are dark enough to defuse the flame led in the eye's but I can try them tomorrow night and post some pics after to see what they look like.

Side note I actually put these Flame LED's down for the TWIPY awards as best mod I was drawing a blank and these bulbs where all I could think of.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from BertoDRINK1:

I have these bulbs in my Dredd Dead World and in my Black Rose in the back ship subway they are cool.
I have a No Fear that has full LED's except for the eyes I like the standard look of the incandescent bulb. I don't think the eye len's are dark enough to defuse the flame led in the eye's but I can try them tomorrow night and post some pics after to see what they look like.
Side note I actually put these Flame LED's down for the TWIPY awards as best mod I was drawing a blank and these bulbs where all I could think of.

Thanks man. I'd be good to see what they look like before I order them because if they are too bright in the eyes, I don't know where I would use them.

#14 6 years ago

Behind the Afterburners and in the explosion on F14 maybe?

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

Oooh. Didn't think of that. Now I might order extra. Good thought!

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

It would be great if someone could try this and do a quick video of it. I might order some for my F14 if it looks good.

#17 6 years ago

I used these bulbs in my MMr for the castle spotlights. Think they look pretty cool - great product!

#18 6 years ago

Sorry guys I can't find the 44/47 flame LED's. I know I had a set cause I order them for Dredd the first time with out looking and Dredd is 555 in the dead world, I can't seem to find them right now.
F-14 is also right next to my No Fear, not sure where you wanted to see those in. The Afterburners at the bottom by the flippers are not inserts, the explosion insert in the center are 89 flashers also these bulbs only come in 44/47 or 555 I think maybe in the center insert instead of the green light might work but that is parallel to the playfield so it would be flashing straight away from the insert not into it. I used ones of the flat green bendie style led there to get it perfectly centered and facing up.
I'll keep looking around I know I have a baggie with 2 44 flame LED's around here somewhere.

#19 6 years ago

I use these Flame bulbs on my TAFG in the GREED inserts!! They really pop!!

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from BertoDRINK1:

Sorry guys I can't find the 44/47 flame LED's.

They're under the RGB Color Changing category: http://www.cometpinball.com/category-s/1838.htm

Thanks for all the love, glad everyone is enjoying them!

#21 6 years ago

Very cool bulbs! Now to find a place for them...

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

Very cool bulbs! Now to find a place for them...

The shuttle flames in the backglass of your Space Shuttle.

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

I love this style of bulb but they need to be diffused by something. I have them behind my Meteor rockets. Looks cool.

I did this w/ my meteor too, I also had a couple scattered in the meteor on the backglass itself.. I thought it was pretty cool

#24 6 years ago

how about on "fire!". just sayin'.

#25 6 years ago

My buddy put them in the back glass on a Stern Wild Fyre looks good. They are really cool if you can find the right spot for them that's for sure.

I plan on doing the tower mod for Dredd at some point also defenitly will use them in there.

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

how about on "fire!". just sayin'.

They weren’t bright enough. Optix Maximus was what I went with. The building plastics are too thick for the fire bulbs to show through.

EB4C3C12-5A51-46BC-AC64-0009F07999EB (resized).jpegEB4C3C12-5A51-46BC-AC64-0009F07999EB (resized).jpeg

Actually this bulbs might work well in the window inserts of the building in the middle of the playfield. Hmmmmm

#27 6 years ago

Got some fire bulbs ordered and I'll update once I get them in the scull.

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

They're under the RGB Color Changing category: http://www.cometpinball.com/category-s/1838.htm
Thanks for all the love, glad everyone is enjoying them!

These could be cool in Blue also. Say with white always on then ice blue, regular blue and ice blue again. Would be cool for Demo Man for sure. Or just ice blue and regular blue with Ice blue always on. I love Ice Blue it's the best shade and makes regular blue inserts look the best. Let's get those made

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from BertoDRINK1:

These could be cool in Blue also. Say with white always on then ice blue, regular blue and ice blue again. Would be cool for Demo Man for sure. Or just ice blue and regular blue with Ice blue always on. I love Ice Blue it's the best shade and makes regular blue inserts look the best. Let's get those made

Or maybe fathom or seawitch too.

#30 6 years ago

Totan translite for the Fireball in hand.
Fire translite at the buildings, slings and a few houses, worked for me.
Gilligans Island under the cooking pot.
Black rose translite in 2 spots.
1 under idol lock. Going to add more under Lior's ramp mod.
These rock. My only suggestion is i wish they were slower in movement.

#32 6 years ago

I would also like to see these in a machine. Have some ideas for some.

#33 6 years ago

Can you get these with a frosted dome, would be sweet in JP.

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

using 2 at a time, creates the better random affect.....because of different uses, a standard lens not only didnt fit a 4 smd, but interfered.
Diffusion definitely is a help, where needed.
I use two in a TWD Barn.....had 3 in congo.....

Quoted from Darscot:

Can you get these with a frosted dome, would be sweet in JP.

Sometimes you have to read the whole thread.

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Sometimes you have to read the whole thread.

Let me rephrase, if these came with a removable dome there would be a much bigger market.

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Let me rephrase, if these came with a removable dome there would be a much bigger market.

Sorry, my response does sound persnippity.
Agreed, that would be a neat feature.

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Needing 3-4 diodes, current models holding this cannot accept a lens.....there simply isnt the room.
tried.

best bit is take a cap off another bulb, and glue/tape/hotglue the lens on for your needs.

No such thing as a "Much bigger market", not for 10,000 minimum 12 year, ROI.

#38 6 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Needing 3-4 diodes, current models holding this cannot accept a lens.....there simply isnt the room.
tried.
best bit is take a cap off another bulb, and glue/tape/hotglue the lens on for your needs.
No such thing as a "Much bigger market", not for 10,000 minimum 12 year, ROI.

9000 JP manufactured, I would take 8 right now if it had a lens. 2 for the ramp, 1 for the box by the Trex, 4 for Trex lights on the apron and one for under the saucer. I suspect a lot of other owners would too. 7 per JP owner is much bigger than 0 per JP owner. I didn't count the 1 I would put on my JP under the saucer because I modded mine to put a socket there and it wouldn't need a lens but not many JPs will have that socket.

P.S. I don't think people are going to like the idea of taping, gluing a lens on a bulb that is completely visible.

#39 6 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

9000 JP manufactured, I would take 8 right now if it had a lens. 2 for the ramp, 1 for the box by the Trex, 4 for Trex lights on the apron and one for under the saucer. I suspect a lot of other owners would too. 7 per JP owner is much bigger than 0 per JP owner. I didn't count the 1 I would put on my JP under the saucer because I modded mine to put a socket there and it wouldn't need a lens but not many JPs will have that socket.

Glad to hear! I guess you are right!

Fortunately, I have no idea what Im talking about.

Perhaps Ryan will see this, or you can send the suggestion into [email protected]

#40 6 years ago

I've been keeping up with this thread. Didn't want to jump in with any promises I can't make good on.

The demand for the lensless ones has been so overwhelming, that it's hard for me to believe that there is even larger untapped potential out there. But I hope I'm wrong of course!

Edit: also, use [email protected]. I don't think the other one is being checked.

1 week later
#41 6 years ago

Well the bulbs are vey cool but they don't work in the eyes of the scull. They need constant power for the full effect but because the scull eyes pulse power to give an incandescent a flame effect it cancels out the flame led effect. They just sort of flicker very fast. My fault not the bulbs. I'll find somewhere else to use them.

#42 6 years ago
Quoted from adaman25:

Well the bulbs are vey cool but they don't work in the eyes of the scull. They need constant power for the full effect but because the scull eyes pulse power to give an incandescent a flame effect it cancels out the flame led effect. They just sort of flicker very fast. My fault not the bulbs. I'll find somewhere else to use them.

Maybe try down by the flippers under the out lane plastics. I'm not much for color in the GI but I stuck 2 red LED's in mine and it looks fine. It is a flame plastic but the light might not transfer well through the hole.

20180204_162325 (resized).jpg20180204_162325 (resized).jpg

#43 6 years ago

Put them in JP to light up the topper. I wasn't terribly impressed. They looked more like a spinning cop light (except with orange and red) than a true flame look. YMMV.

#44 6 years ago

I tried some in the goblet/ fire area of swords of fury trans lite. Little more red than I would like but looked pretty good. I'll be buying a few more.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 125.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Cumming, GA
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 59.99
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
La Porte, TX
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 23.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Livonia, MI

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/comet-flame-bulbs-in-no-fear and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.