By vid1900

3 years ago

Stats

• 84 posts
  • 37 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by Crash
  • Topic is favorited by 27 Pinsiders

Find

Search this topic for posts matching certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 23 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
IMG_2350 (resized).JPG
IMG_2270 (resized).JPG
IMG_2350 (resized).JPG
IMG_2348 (resized).JPG
IMG_2353 (resized).JPG
INSTALLED.jpg
12.jpg
11.jpg
10.jpg
9.jpg
8.jpg

There are 84 posts in topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

The shiny side of the film (marked peel #1), gets stuck to the adhesive.
The dull side faces the player (it is marked peel #2).

So there's a front and back, what about up and down? Can they be installed incorrectly? Any thoughts on these compared to the bent plastic glare guards?

Great write up as usual!

Post edited by sed6: Pg. 2 pwned

#52 3 years ago

First up, my thanks again to Vid1900, his instructions are so good, they are now in all packages.

My apologies for dropping the ball on overseas shipping....Ill try to fix that tomorrow.
Its tricky to get the right shipping for overseas, when only these are ordered, as opposed to a box with bulbs,
we may need to have a price with a refund to work, I keep breaking the website.

Quoted from sed6:

So there's a front and back, what about up and down? Can they be installed incorrectly? Any thoughts on these compared to the bent plastic glare guards?

Any incorrect installation is held by double sided tape...comes off, and even regular tape can be used
around the unseen edges. Following these pictured instructions should be pretty simple, once you have it in your hand to see. They are a thick plastic, not a thin film.

Compared to bent plastic? Well, there are many creators of the plastic...some remove 100%, some remove about 80% or more. This is 100%, and most importantly, is essentially invisible.

So better looking, better elimination of glare, and wont come out during game play, break, etc,

When they were $40 out of Europe, to me, that didnt make sense...at under $20, its a no brainer.
These are priced based on what I thought was fair to pay. Very close in price.

I felt it was something we all needed....

Art

#53 3 years ago
Quoted from sed6:

So there's a front and back, what about up and down?

There is no worries about up and down. You can spin it 180* and it will have the exact same performance.

Quoted from sed6:

Any thoughts on these compared to the bent plastic glare guards?

The only better feature about the bent plastic guards is that you can take them with you from game to game.

Otherwise the DMDGE is better at eliminating glare (100%), and it darkens any unlit part of the DMD making for a higher contrast display.

#54 3 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Anyone use one of these with a ColorDMD? I've always used the bent plastic type, but having something hidden would be nice.

I use the 3M type filters like these ones on regular DMD displays only. The ColorDMD on my MM and TZ do not seem that bright so I do not notice any glare on the glass like I did with the Stern & B/W DMDs.

1 month later
#55 3 years ago

I installed 3 of these tonight, on MET, IM and CSI. My comments:

I had red plastic shields on CSI and IM, and of they have plasma displays rather than LED. The combination of the red shield and the micro-louver screen makes the DMD about the same brightness as the display on my Black Knight, but that's not a problem for me. If you don't use red shields, you won't notice the added dimness much at all (in fact you'll probably like it). Also, I don't use LEDs for GI, so my pupils are wide open.

Metallica is much easier to look at now. The brightness of the LED DMD bugged me; with the glare eliminator it's perfect. And Sparky doesn't have dots on his face! I previously saw the DMD even with Invisiglass; it's totally gone now.

In summary, this is a really great product! I can't imagine spending $$$ on Invisiglass and not doing this simple $20 upgrade. Here's the link, go buy some now!

http://www.cometpinball.com/DMD-GLARE-ELIMINATOR-p/dmdglare.htm

Post edited by swampfire: Edited for technical correctness

#56 3 years ago

The reduction in brightness is noticeable. Especially if you have the filter on some machines but not others. However the reduction is not distracting to game play once you get used to it.

#57 3 years ago

Sooo I feel like it courses more reflection on the dmd though?

#58 3 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I installed 3 of these tonight, on MET, IM and CSI. My comments:
I had red plastic shields on CSI and IM, and of they have plasma displays rather than LED. The combination of the red shield and the polarizing filter makes the DMD about the same brightness as the display on my Black Knight, but that's not a problem for me. If you don't use red shields, you won't notice the added dimness much at all (in fact you'll probably like it). Also, I don't use LEDs for GI, so my pupils are wide open.
Metallica is much easier to look at now. The brightness of the LED DMD bugged me; with the polarizing filter it's perfect. And Sparky doesn't have dots on his face! I previously saw the DMD even with Invisiglass; it's totally gone now.
In summary, this is a really great product! I can't imagine spending $$$ on Invisiglass and not doing this simple $20 upgrade. Here's the link, go buy some now!
http://www.cometpinball.com/DMD-GLARE-ELIMINATOR-p/dmdglare.htm

I beleive these filters are the micro-louver type by 3M and not a polarizing film.

#59 3 years ago

Indeed they are micro louver. I have found minimal negative to their application, as the goal is to remove DMD reflection from the glass.

#60 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Indeed they are micro louver. I have found minimal negative to their application, as the goal is to remove DMD reflection from the glass.

That it does! There is almost zero reflection on the glass. You really have to look hard to see it, if its there at all.

Viewing the DMD from sharp side angles is impacted too. Anywhere near normal playing position, even a few machines to the left or right have normal DMD view. Standing next to the backbox is where the display goes dark which shouldn't be a problem...

2 months later
#61 3 years ago

How do you apply this to new Sterns? There's no black border around the DMD.

3 weeks later
#62 3 years ago
Quoted from BestShot31:

Now that we have addressed the DMD glare issue; what's the solution for the backbox glare?
Vid? Art? A larger sheet for the translight glass possibly?

Quoted from vid1900:

A larger sheet would be great!
But for the time being solution, remember to use single LED bulbs, and don't fill every lamp socket.
Everyone thinks they need super bright LEDs for the backbox, and they don't.
Everyone thinks they have to fill every socket with a bulb, and they don't.
I've been using frosted, single LED bulbs and they work pretty good (but a full sheet of Glare Eliminator would be better, lol).

I understand using the correct bulbs for B/W titles can really help with glare off the playfield glass. Is there a way to do this for Stern Machines that have the 1 florescent bulb in the backbox?

I would love to buy a sheet of this to put with the translight for my Sterns. I have an interactive LED kit in Luci, that bothers me when trying to fire the cannon when the rest of the GI is dark. The glare when the GI is on, does not bother me.

#63 3 years ago

Definitely a great Idea!
I looked into and tested different films.

There are a variety of quality. all labeled as "privacy"...even thin material on rolls.
With that comes a low to high of price.

As expected, the lowest rolls, were more a "window tinting", despite the promises, and the least expensive.
I couldnt recommend them at all.

The next kind was thicker, in sheets, and could be cut by scissors. It worked Kinda, but also wasnt clear. I would label these "Chinese 3M knockoffs" I know if I offered these, many people would be
unhappy.

The real stuff works, and it is thick. You cant cut it. Now these Screen protectors exist for pinball on the web from $15-$59. They are heavy, and do cost. So, a sheet the size at a translite, would run about $160 my cost FOB, or, since its not likely Id need a pallet by sea, about $185 by air.
There is no market for it because Invisiglass, I understand solves this, and benefits the whole game.

To help with a tube issue, people have put Gel Sleeves, Heat resistant paint on 1/4 to 1/2 the bulb,
a light shield or plastic to diffuse in front of the bulb. Many different tricks, but only you know what brightness is right for yourself.

If you have an LED kit with issues of brightness to the translite, you can diffuse individual strips, with
"lens" that you make, or if its everything, a thin sheet of diffused "paper" or "plastic", behind your translite.

#64 3 years ago

Thanks for the detailed response Art. I have a piece of Invisiglass that I placed on AC/DC to see if that solved the problem, but sadly it did not.

I will have to look into the fixes you mentioned for the tube issue.

1 week later
#65 2 years ago

Any chance there could be different-sized ones of these made? I'd love to bump up the contrast and kill the reflection from the Pinscore display on my High Speed, but it has several smaller displays, not one big dmd (obviously).

5 months later
#66 2 years ago

I just installed this on all of my machines.

IMO, it is a must for every machine. I'll never own another machine without it.

#67 2 years ago

I put one on the Star Wars I just sold and I liked it a lot. Does dim the screen a bit though.

#68 2 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Does dim the screen a bit though.

Sometimes that's a good thing (like with the new red LED displays in Sterns).

#69 2 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

I put one on the Star Wars I just sold and I liked it a lot. Does dim the screen a bit though.

The amount that it dims the screen, IMO, is excellent trade off for having no DMD glare.

On my Star Trek LE, I felt like it still looked the same. I attached it to the inside of the red plastic.

On my Star Trek Next Generation and Transformers LE, I attached it directly to the DMD. I did notice on those 2 that the DMD was darker. The trade off for no glare is just a little bit darker DMD is one that I feel is a no-brainer. Every machine I purchase going forward, I will install the DMD glare eliminator.

#70 2 years ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

Sometimes that's a good thing (like with the new red LED displays in Sterns).

The red was very harsh on my ST but perfect with the glare guard. Looks much better. I tried it on my Getaway but didn't like how it dimmed that display. Since Getaway doesn't have a glare problem, I will just use it on my ST.

2 weeks later
#71 2 years ago

I just ordered one of these to try it out - I play in the dark a lot also and HATE the DMD glare.

If it works as good as Vids pictures indicate - why anyone would buy expensive invisiglass? Tempered playfield glass is soooo much cheaper!

I just ordered some 80mm COB "Angel Eyes" to mod my speakers and I'm wondering if anyone has tried to put DMDGE behind the speaker grills before mounting the LEDs?

Any plans to make DMDGE speaker covers for this purpose?

#72 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinterest:

If it works as good as Vids pictures indicate - why anyone would buy expensive invisiglass?

Because the Glare Eliminator eliminates glare from the DMD; PDI/invisiglass/etc eliminate (or at least greatly reduce) *all* reflection and glare, which (for many) results in an improvement to the entire play area as well.

1 month later
#73 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinterest:

I just ordered some 80mm COB "Angel Eyes" to mod my speakers and I'm wondering if anyone has tried to put DMDGE behind the speaker grills before mounting the LEDs?

Great idea, I suspect it would work just fine. It would add a little contrast and dim the LEDs a bit, but I bet they are plenty bright to handle it. You can make paper templates to get the size right. A single DMD sized glare guard is probably big enough to make both. Only concern would be that the height of the DMD glare guard is the same or bigger than the speaker cutouts.

1 year later
#74 5 months ago

Has anyone tried attaching this to the inside of the speaker panel rather than the display itself? Because this is polarizing film I understand you can't reverse its direction. Can anyone tell me if this is possible or seems to be possible? I am wanting to use this with a PIN2DMD LED display which uses two halves for the actual display. I don't want to attach the film directly to it because I want to adjust the halves and line them up in the future if I need to, plus replacing only one of two modules in the future if one goes out.

#75 5 months ago
Quoted from Crash:

Has anyone tried attaching this to the inside of the speaker panel rather than the display itself? Because this is polarizing film I understand you can't reverse its direction. Can anyone tell me if this is possible or seems to be possible? I am wanting to use this with a PIN2DMD LED display which uses two halves for the actual display. I don't want to attach the film directly to it because I want to adjust the halves and line them up in the future if I need to, plus replacing only one of two modules in the future if one goes out.

Transformers has the plasma DMD. Here are pics of how I installed it and how it looks after installed.

IMG_2353 (resized).JPG

IMG_2270 (resized).JPG

#76 5 months ago

Here is Ghostusters that comes with the LED DMD. Pics show how I installed it and how it looks after installed. I ordered these from Comet Pinball.

IMG_2348 (resized).JPG
IMG_2350 (resized).JPG

#77 5 months ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Here is Ghostusters that comes with the LED DMD. Pics show how I installed it and how it looks after installed. I ordered these from Comet Pinball.

That contrast is amazing! I can probably get away with sandwiching it between the panel and DMD window without it moving around. I'm doing it for a Tales from the Crypt. I don't think there's a way to affix the adhesive pads without blocking part of the DMD.

#78 5 months ago
Quoted from Crash:

That contrast is amazing! I can probably get away with sandwiching it between the panel and DMD window without it moving around. I'm doing it for a Tales from the Crypt. I don't think there's a way to affix the adhesive pads without blocking part of the DMD.

It comes with double sided tape already on it.

IMG_2350 (resized).JPG

#79 5 months ago

Ah, cool. Placed my order and will post some before and after photos.

#80 5 months ago
Quoted from Crash:

For plasma DMD, there is a glass area outside of the orange screen area. That's why it can be applied directly to it. The LED DMD doesn't have that area, that's why I apply it to the plastic in front of it.

2 weeks later
#81 5 months ago
Quoted from Crash:

photos?

#82 5 months ago

Haven't had a chance, may have some time in the next couple of weeks.

#83 4 months ago

Just tried it, looks great. Will put it in and get photos probably Tuesday.

1 month later
#84 3 months ago

So, "two weeks" later and I installed the filter in Tales from the Crypt. I attached this to the inside of the plastic window on the speaker panel so that it's sandwiched between the DMD and window. This is a huge help to improve contrast and eliminate glare! I would highly suggest it. Now I just need to turn the brightness up to compensate for the darkening.

Before:
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg

After:
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 239.00
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
3,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Port Washington, NY
$ 170.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Mods
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 18.99
Lighting - Led
Lermods
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Siegecraft Electronics
$ 79.00
$ 79.00
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 248.00
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
$ 59.00
$ 59.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rochester, MN
$ 79.00
$ 12.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 84 posts in topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside