(Topic ID: 163901)

Comet Corkscrew Ramp, how hard should it be to hit?

By QuietEarp

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Coin_Door_Kid
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Hi all,

I have a Comet and I find that the corkscrew ramp shot is hard to make. The ball often has just a little bit less momentum than it needs to get up the ramp. I did replace the coil sleeves and made sure my flipper was "tuned up" and the EOS was on point. It did help a little, but it still seems like I need a touch more power to make this shot more consistently. Maybe I should lessen the tilt a touch?

My question is if this is normal. Should a shot need to be 100% perfect to make it all the way up the corkscrew ramp?

What do you guys think?

#2 3 years ago

New Coil, New EOS and Cab Switch - you'll be able to make it for sure.

#3 3 years ago

You won't hit it every time, but a clean shot will do it.

#4 3 years ago

If I remember correctly, on my machine I hit it quite often. Much more than the middle ramp shot.

#5 3 years ago

Got it, Make my flipper stronger. It seems like it just needs a little more umph. Am I right in thinking that cleaning the EOS and Cab switch should be as good as replacing them? Also I thought replacing coils was not usually needed.

Anyway, thank you for the input. I will make my flipper stronger.

#6 3 years ago

Just that !
BTW great pin IMHO

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from QuietEarp:

Got it, Make my flipper stronger. It seems like it just needs a little more umph. Am I right in thinking that cleaning the EOS and Cab switch should be as good as replacing them? Also I thought replacing coils was not usually needed.

On my Blackout, the right flipper was not strong enough to make the orbit shot. New coil changed nothing. I filed the EOS and cab switch and still a no...replacing the cab switch did the trick, plenty of power now. I suppose replacing the EOS would help even more but it works so I stopped there. Good luck!

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from QuietEarp:

You don't normally replace a coil unless it melts or burns open. A brand new coil is not any stronger than a 30 year old coil.

Jumper the EOS Switch closed with an alligator clip.

Then hit the flipper button (don't hold it).

If the flipper now kicks like a mule, you know that your EOS is the problem.

#9 3 years ago

A SFL-24-600/30-2600 coil replacement will NOT make your flipper stronger. I just put a new one in from Marcos. It has an orange wrapper instead of white. It seems way weaker. Brand new EOS and lane change switch also. It just don't have the same snap as the old coil. Same voltage though. It is a trip. I went ahead and picked up a NOS coil from an old Comet to see if it is stronger. The Marco coil will make the Corkscrew but you have to hit it perfectly as to where the old coil was way easier.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 14.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
$ 17.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 40.00
Lighting - Backbox
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 149.00
$ 209.00
$ 11.95
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside