IMG_8160 (resized).jpg
IMG_8159 (resized).jpg
IMG_8158 (resized).jpg
IMG_8157 (resized).jpg
IMG_8156 (resized).jpg
IMG_8155 (resized).jpg
IMG_8154 (resized).jpg
IMG_8153 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pyrotech.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1461 1 year ago

My wife and I just bought a project Comet to work on. Does anyone know where I can find new bumper caps and some cool apron cards? Thanks Pyrotec

#1463 1 year ago
Quoted from vid1900:

See if PBR secretly has the caps

thank you

1 week later
#1471 1 year ago
Quoted from wamonkey:

So I have not seen any pinball cards for Comet - other then the standard cards.
Anyone have any nice looking instruction cards in color, I have the original cards they are just basic.
Anyone do anything special here they can share?

Look at post 1467, I bought some from him and they look great.

#1472 1 year ago

Need some help, does anyone know the part number or where I can find the connector for the general illumination lighting, I need both sides? Thank you pyrotec

IMG_20220626_002251865 (resized).jpgIMG_20220626_002251865 (resized).jpg
#1482 1 year ago

My wife and I bought a project comet from an estate sale a few weeks ago and I just added it to our collection. Today I am joining the comet club.

1 week later
#1493 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinwizkid:

Hey Turkey
[quoted image]

Man that is some line of games.

#1494 1 year ago

I have a little problem. I installed a new Williams/Bally System 9, 11, 11A and 11B, and 11C MPU Board #MPU9211 with all new chips. I have no sound, if I put old board back in, I have sound. Any ideas. Thank you.

#1504 1 year ago
Quoted from mof:

What is the proper set of legs for a Comet?
chrome single-rib?
dark grey no rib?
Or are there a few options?
-mof

I thought the legs were black, but when I did my I only found brown chocolate ones. Wife says they look good.

#1505 1 year ago
Quoted from pyrotech:

I thought the legs were black, but when I did my I only found brown chocolate ones. Wife says they look good.

I guess I was wrong. Go with chrome.

1 month later
#1546 1 year ago

That glass looks great. thanks for letting me know about it.

#1548 1 year ago

Does anyone know where I can find new bumber caps, original style?

1 week later
#1563 1 year ago
Quoted from Atari_The_Jedi:

All want to do is make the bridge rectifier fusible, that's it, but it looks like these were soldered in and then subsequently pinched right onto the rectifier. I've cleaned all the solder that I can and I even heated it up to try to pull it off but damn if this thing won't move
[quoted image]

Sometimes needle nose might work, but if they don't I hate to do it but cut wires and start over.

1 month later
#1585 1 year ago
Quoted from PogoFX:

How is this pin ranked so low?
I picked up Comet a couple of months ago along with Space Shuttle. My first two pins. I wasn't even supposed to keep Comet as I got it for someone else. Well, they never returned my calls or text so I could set up delivery. After I played a few games, I knew it wasn't going anywhere. I love it just as much as Shuttle. The timing of the drains can be brutal sometimes, but I always feel like I'm one or two shots away from having an epic score. And that keeps me coming back. And yes, I like that "annoying" music . . . even though it gets stuck in my head some days.
I'm not good player and I'm certainly not an expert, but this pin seems grossly underrated to me. I'll be adding my rating shortly and I'll bet there are a few folks out there that may need to revisit theirs. Hey Turkey, give Comet some love.

Quoted from midcoastsurf:

100%. I am now on my 3rd Comet (slight project) and vowed to never sell this one. While it doesn't have multi-ball, I think the rule set and the unique shots/ramps more than make up for it. Timing those 1984 lanes with your 3rd ball to light the million point shot...just a classic.

Make sure you go the comments section and put comments in so the comet score will go up the rating.

2 weeks later
#1599 1 year ago
Quoted from mikemoorman:

I have a friend that is having issues with his Comet.
During gameplay (single player game) it will add players and randomly add score to other players while playing Ball 1 Player 1.
Voltages to CPU are rock solid at 4.98VDC.
I tested all the switches and all work and register as they should to the correct switch number. I also started a game and flipped the flippers repeatedly with the ball in the shooter lane to see if I could replicate random scores but no anomalies.
Sometimes you can get through a couple of balls before it starts being possessed.
There is no battery damage.
Any suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks in advance - Mike

Sorry for the problem, there is a switch someplace that is touching.

#1605 1 year ago
Quoted from mikemoorman:

Thanks for your reply.
I will dig deeply into the switches. Could a bad diode be the culprit?

If you are playing one player game. During your game it go to player two and add random points to player two, while you are playing on player one. If I understand what your problem is. If that is right how many points does it add?

3 weeks later
#1612 1 year ago

When you get the chance to shoot for the 1 million shot, is there a time limit? Or does it go until the ball drains, or if you shot the ramp but does not make the 3 hole?

3 months later
#1646 1 year ago
Quoted from remf:

Tried to do a search, but didn’t have much luck. Running into an issue that hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. Game has been working fine, but the other day the GI would light up and wouldn’t boot. Tested the fuses and reset the pins. After searching around more I noticed the connector on 3J9 was hot so I unplugged it and yep it was burnt to a crisp.
Does anyone know where I can find a replacement connector pin set? I have the part number (connector, 2 pin (H) 579-09436-00), but can’t seem to find something similar to it online.
Also, do you think there might be an underlying issue that caused the pin to get burned out that I need to look into? I’m not an expert on these types of issues unfortunately.
Thanks for the help!
[quoted image][quoted image]

I had the same issue with my comet also. I bought my comet from an estate sale, it was totally burned up. I repinned the connector and bought a new board no problem after that. I called Macro pinball and got the number for the connector. I will look for it for you.

#1647 1 year ago

Tried to do a search, but didn’t have much luck. Running into an issue that hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. Game has been working fine, but the other day the GI would light up and wouldn’t boot. Tested the fuses and reset the pins. After searching around more I noticed the connector on 3J9 was hot so I unplugged it and yep it was burnt to a crisp.
Does anyone know where I can find a replacement connector pin set? I have the part number (connector, 2 pin (H) 579-09436-00), but can’t seem to find something similar to it online.
Also, do you think there might be an underlying issue that caused the pin to get burned out that I need to look into? I’m not an expert on these types of issues unfortunately.
Thanks for the help!

I think this is it. https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/045-5004-02

#1648 1 year ago
Quoted from remf:

Thanks for the help!

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/045-5004-02 I think this it.

#1653 1 year ago
Quoted from midcoastsurf:

Since we are on the wiring topic, here’s my game. Lots of burn, duct tape, wire nuts, and prayers. Eventually want to clean all this up.
[quoted image]

Man, that looks scary. But if it works.

#1654 1 year ago
Quoted from remf:

Thanks! I’ve had this game for a long time with no issue so do you think it would be best to get a new board as well?

I put a new power board in on my. When I bought it from the estate sale, the owner had the board hot wired for the GI lights and something else. $159 on macro for a new power board sure. Then I knew, I was good to go on that board. Power is everything.

5 months later
#1684 7 months ago
Quoted from interconnect:

I’m in the club… she’s coming home with me today!

Welcome to the club. It's a fun game.

#1690 7 months ago

Thanks! Got it set up. Needs some work, but overall in pretty darn good condition. Going to fully restore this one.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

It looks you are doing more than pinball restoration. I like that bad cats, fun game.

1 month later
#1709 6 months ago
Quoted from TheHouseHack:

Do any of you know what colour the original flipper buttons were? Mine has orange with a black outer on the left side, and red with a transparent red outer on the right.
Also, are they the short or long product?
Thanks

This is one. https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-16883-4

#1712 6 months ago
Quoted from TheHouseHack:

Thank you for the links to the parts. Much appreciated.

no worries, mate!! G'day

1 month later
#1747 5 months ago

Hi everyone, I finally finished my restoration of my Comet and thought I'd share the results. It's not perfect, but I think it came out well. Game was in someone's basement and hadn't been touched or serviced in decades; perfect for a full-on resto. For those that are interested, here's some of the major things I did to it...
Replaced burnt/destroyed power supply and sound board.
Serviced all boards (replaced all caps on all boards, re-flowed all connectors, replaced pin sockets and housings in several connectors, replaced some other components).
Replaced several burnt/damaged/missing connectors and hacks.
Installed Inkochnito bridge board and DumbAss special solenoid fuse board.
Complete tear down of playfield. Cleaned, waxed and polished Mylar and playfield. Touched up a few high traffic spots and installed Mylar over.
New Corkscrew and Cycle Jump ramps. Clean and polished original Comet ramp.
Rebuilt, cleaned and new sleeves on all mechs and replaced many parts throughout. Full flipper rebuild and new flipper switches. Rebuilt shooter rod and replaced shooter spring.
New Titan rubbers throughout.
New Comet sunlight LEDs throughout.
Installed trough light, LED strip under Corkscrew ramp, lighted flipper buttons
New CPR plastics throughout.
Fixed factory mistake where one of the controlled lights for one of the Comet eyes in light panel was in the wrong spot...?!?! Crazy.
New decals everywhere (targets, Comet ramp, etc.).
Touched up cabinet, repainted inner part of head and side walls around playfield, repainted coin door.
New legs and levelers.
Sandblasted speaker panel trim pieces, regrained lockdown bar, cleaned lockdown bar receiver.
And... I created a little mod for the game. A 1-9-8-6 lightbox to show the status of the 1-9-8-6 lights since they are blocked by the Comet ramp. Artwork was done by my brother, outerorbit, who is an amazing graphic designer. Fireworks theme matches that of the game and is relative to the horizon. Lights are positioned to be directly above the ones in the playfield. I used the same "Matrix" wiring system as Comet does for their lighting products. Currently it is a prototype, however I am looking to get it professionally printed in nylon and the graphic digitally printed on PETG, same as your standard pinball plastics. This will take it to the next level and really make the image glossy and bright when lit up like the rest of the plastics. If anyone is interested in one of these for their game, just shoot me a PM.
Also, wanted to thank everyone who helped me along the way. A very sincere thank you; you guys are awesome.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looks Great, I like the 1986 light box. That's cool.

1 month later
#1750 4 months ago
Quoted from Foo:

In the club and I couldn't be happier! My best score so far. 2.5+ million... hard to read. Tough game!

Welcome to the club. Fun game for only one ball. I see you have a cyclone, do you have a hurricane? If you do you the trifecta.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Columbus, OH
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pyrotech.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/comet-any-fans-out-there?tu=pyrotech and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.