IMG_8160 (resized).jpg
IMG_8159 (resized).jpg
IMG_8158 (resized).jpg
IMG_8157 (resized).jpg
IMG_8156 (resized).jpg
IMG_8155 (resized).jpg
IMG_8154 (resized).jpg
IMG_8153 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pinbub.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#668 4 years ago

I've had my comet for 23 years. I was wondering if any of you that have original promo flags would consider re-popping them? I looked today online and it doesn't seem cost-prohibitive. I assume they are printed on a felt flag but I'm not sure. Can somebody chime in as to whether the originals were felt and if someone might offer up a scan to make it happen? I'd be in for one.

#672 4 years ago

If anybody is willing to repop them I'm sure there'd be a market. I was looking for a finished product, not just a scan so I could do it myself, (although I'm not opposed to that). That way the pinside member could make a few bucks for their trouble. In the past, I've taken pieces like that to a place like Kinkos and had them do the scanning and the printing. They had the means to do it and the prices were very reasonable. Just food for thought. If anybody is willing maybe we could get a headcount of interested people and go from there.

#674 4 years ago
Quoted from pinheadpierre:

If there's enough interest I would be willing to look into what it would take to get some made. I'm guessing there's a copyright issue embedded here.

Maybe, but with Williams be defunct I doubt there would be an issue, especially if a small run was made for people who were interested.

I'll go first, I'd take one. Who else is in?

#683 4 years ago

I don't think it's going to be a problem. It might be if you fired up "Cometpinflags.com" and started selling them en mass but a limited run for a few fellow enthusiasts shouldn't throw any "red flags". See what I did there?! We've done a lot of similar projects on the Porsche forums and it's never been an issue and Porsche seems pretty rabid about such things.

#693 4 years ago

If anybody can comment I need your advice. Did Pinscore LED's ever work out the comma issue? Back story is I ordered a set of pinscore LED displays for my Comet,(system 9), on Saturday from Marco. Then I did more research and read about the possible "comma issue" with the Pinscore LEDs. My research also found that most people said order Xpin as they support the original developer,(Brett?). I understand supporting the original developer but I've also read that they are basically the same product. I wouldn't mind supporting Xpin but I needed other parts from Marco so I went that route. Can anybody tell me if the Pinscore displays have the comma issue straightened out? If someone has an opinion more sooner than later I would appreciate it. Need to know if I need to call first thing in the morning and cancel the pinscore product.

2 weeks later
#716 4 years ago

Marks ramps are incredible. I had replaced my corkscrew and cycle jump ramps both in black but once I saw his I had to have them. I'm working on my Comet right now so it's taken apart but I can't wait to put it back together and drop in the new ramps. As an added bonus he's great to deal with and the ramps arrived very quickly. Thanks again Mark, you rock!

#719 4 years ago

I got a scan sent today to PinDeLaPin. If anybody else needs one I can email to you.

ek.pdfek.pdf
#722 4 years ago

clean your switches......all of them. You and Comet will be happier!

#726 4 years ago

Is there a market for million shot plastics with bulb holders, resistor and wiring harness? I've never seen anyone looking for one and I think I have a spare or two.

1 week later
#729 4 years ago

I was wondering how many of you have "COMET" below the door on the front of your machines? It's on the flyer for Comet but until I saw it on the one offered by markpin2013 right now in Blaine Texas I'd only ever seen it on the flyer. I've never seen it on the pins at shows I've attended or on other machines listed for sale.

#731 4 years ago

I figured it was/is rare. I've had mine for 23 years so I've been watching Comets for quite a while in person and online and I only recall seeing one other in all that time.

4 weeks later
#746 4 years ago
Quoted from BertoDRINK1:

Comet all set up at the Nashville Grand Ole Gameroom Expo[quoted image]

Beuatiful cabinet on that! Restored or original?

1 month later
#767 4 years ago

That looks great. Yea it's dirty but don't see a lot of planking. Should clean up nice

#768 4 years ago
Quoted from Patzik:

Did a little bit more work on the technical side today. The drop target wasn't going up anymore, the solenoid did it's work, but no movement. As suspected a piece broke, adding a picture of the part, the metal tab broke off. Since it's not an easy part to get, I decides to make a quick drawing and 3d-print it, this worked perfect. How can I add the stl file in case someone else needs it. Next thing was the bumper next to the flippers, they are kinda weak. Turns out that on both sides the capacitor that is connected to the activation switch was broken on one side. replaced the 22uf 25v cap on one side, and this fixed it so I will do the other side too. One problem I still have that annoys me is that the GI in the backbox goes dead. After messing a bit with the solenoid on the inside of the door behind the backglass it works for a while but always fails again at some point. Any suggestions beside replacing the solenoid?
Still hoping someone can take a picture of the wiring on this door in the area of the comet eyes, since mine is definitely wired wrong.
The cycle jump is in good condition, but has one crack in the usual area between the first and second hole. So I'd like to keep it. To prevent it from more damage I'm thinking of drawing up a support and 3d print it, any other suggestions on how to keep it in good shape? Another thing that I'm afraid of is damage to the comet ramp. It's in good shape now, but has no ramp flap (was never installed, there are no rivet holes). My thought is that it will be ok without ramp, but I would like to install a protection for the sides. I have seen them installed on some other comets, but I can't find what part this is or where they got it from.[quoted image]

Marco has those new. My Comet had a homemade one and I ordered one this fall when I was going through my machine

1 month later
#802 4 years ago

It's my understanding that was intentional. Since this is just meant to cover the ramp protector and the protectors I've seen don't go past that point. I think you're supposed to print it and cut it down to the length you need. Thank you Patzik for providing these!

2 months later
#838 3 years ago
Quoted from BubbaPin:

Nevermind. Figured it out with a manual.
But if anyone could post a picture of their flippers at resting position, so I know mine are at the right position. Recently did a rebuild on them and just want to make sure, it looks like the right one travels farther but I might just have them at the wrong orientation.
Aswell as a picture of the front of the center ramp. When I did the teardown on mine the from peice (the part with the three screws. Had a little metal bracket that I cant remember if it was under or over the plastic. The ramp is breaking at that area and just want to make sure I have it on right before I try to mend it.
Happy to be in the club. Love this thing.

The metal goes on top of the ramp

#839 3 years ago

Don't quote me on this as I'm no expert but I believe flipper alignment will be correct if you drop straightened paper clips in the holes behind the flippers and tighten the flipper bats with them resting on the paper clips.

Here's mine

IMG_20200429_201732560_BURST000_COVER (resized).jpgIMG_20200429_201732560_BURST000_COVER (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#857 3 years ago
Quoted from Jason43:

Well, shit. I read the description of that listing and he mentioned that the gate for the skeeball out hole is missing. After restoring and owning a Comet for several years, I never knew such a thing existed. Anyone have a close up of this piece installed?

Jason, I think I have a spare, I'll take a look

1 week later
#865 3 years ago

o-din
I know there are different techniques, what did you do?

1 month later
#903 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

From me before PPS told me I couldn't make them anymore.

Wow, that's a shame. Your cards are top notch. Glad I got my set for my Comet when I did!

3 months later
#972 3 years ago
Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Is the word Comet below your coin door just hand painted on? Mine does not have that and I have never seen that on another machine? Does anyone else in here have this on their machine?
[quoted image]

I brought that up a few pages back. Most games don't have Comet below the coin door. A few I have seen do. It is in the sales brochure for the game though.

1 week later
#981 3 years ago

I found the perfect match for the yellow paint on Comet cabinets but it's in storage. If I get there soon I'll try to add more info. It was spot on and was off the shelf. Not a special mixture.

2 months later
#1064 3 years ago

I need a new leaf switch for my right flipper. The one I need is mounted to the cabinet and activated by the flipper button. NOT the eos switch at the flipper assembly. I looked in my owners/parts manual and I can't find a part number. I ordered by application without a part number through Marco and the switch they sent is incorrect. Can anybody help?

#1065 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Comet owners, don't forget that today is your last day to get a new set of plastics from CPR for only $119
Use coupon code PLASTICS2020
This was out of stock for MANY years
https://classicplayfields.com/shop/pinball-plastics/comet/[quoted image]

I wish someone would offer just the key fobs seperately. Specifically the fire ball one. That is a nice price for a set,( more so on sale), especially since they've been out of stock so long. I'd buy a set but I already have a complete spare set and can't justify it just for the fobs.

#1067 3 years ago
Quoted from Clizifer:

i just need the black billy the clown plastic on the right side of the playfield if anyone has a spare

Is yours broken,missing or warped?

#1069 3 years ago
Quoted from Clizifer:

Billy is missing his foot lol
Do you have a spare?
[quoted image]

Let me look. I had at least one that was warped. I was going to use it to practice flattening them. I'll let you know.

#1075 3 years ago
Quoted from ClarkGriswold:

Freeplay40 - I'm super happy that you're going to be making these ramps. The center ramps are almost always broken to some degree on these. I know other owners have been waiting for a long time for these too. I will get one immediately when they're available.

Actually all three ramps take a beating on Comet. If you want to see some awesome stuff order Marks Corkscrew and cycle jump ramps. AMAZING!

#1080 3 years ago

IMG_20191128_102452695 (resized).jpgIMG_20191128_102452695 (resized).jpg

Freeplay 40 ramps are the red cycle jump ramp on the left of the top row and clear orange cork screw ramp on the left in the bottom row. Both are much sturdier than stock

1 week later
#1094 3 years ago
Quoted from Comet_20:

Anyone have the cover that goes over the lights on the back of the 1 Million sign? When i got my Comet it was missing the ! Million sing i bought a wreck cycle jump ram on Ebay just to get the sign but the cover was missing. [quoted image]

If you haven't found one, I've got you covered. PM headed your way.

1 month later
#1140 3 years ago
Quoted from wastedwarriors:

If anyone needs an old back glass I have one in Newburgh ny ( local pick up only)[quoted image][quoted image]

I saw that score of your earlier and wish I was closer!

1 month later
#1186 2 years ago

I've gotcha covered!

1 month later
#1210 2 years ago

Not all Comets had the metal protector at the ramp opening. Looking at Mark's ramps I doubt you need it.

2 months later
#1273 2 years ago
Quoted from gstanczuk:

I agree that the back does look empty. I too am working on the back plane. This is my paper copy that I installed to see what it would look like. Next steps are a few adjustments on onto Mylar printing
[quoted image]

I'd be in for one if you make some

2 months later
#1319 2 years ago
Quoted from Atari_The_Jedi:

So I got my machine working. The first time since 1996 that it actually worked. I did have a setback I dropped a plastic and stepped on it like a moron anyone can guide me to where I can get it or if you have an original. This one really hurts
[quoted image]

That does hurt! I had a spare but gave it to a fellow pinsider about 6 months ago. Good luck in your search.

I have pinscores in my Comet and no ghosting

3 months later
#1370 2 years ago

Need a little help folks. I'm popping a solenoid fuse when I power up my Comet. This game was bullet proofed by my favorite system 9-11 repair guy. He was thorough but has other issues and isn't fixing pins currently. I'm trying to isolate this between a board issue and a short on the board.

Can anyone tell me what plugs into the playfield for the solenoids? I'd really like to get this solved but want to isolate a short on the board. I think it's a shorted wire to ground, under playfield. We've owned this Comet for around 30 years. It's my families favorite game. Sure would like to flip the snot out of it!

#1377 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Unplug the solenoid plugs from the mpu board (don't quote me but J11, J12, J19 from memory) turn on game and see if anything blows
If not, turn off all the lights in the room and watch as you plug one of the connectors in. There will be a small arc/spark on the pin of the shorted one
Solder a fuse breaker from a blown fuse, so you dont keep wasting fuses
[quoted image]

Thanks Vid, I do have circuit breakers. I'll try isolating and go from there. The fuse is popping when I initially turn the game on, before I try to start a game.

#1380 2 years ago
Quoted from reconsider59:

...I'm not even sure where to look for these, but sounds like I need a set! Can you point me in the right direction?

Mine are terrible. I think I bought them from Marco. Mine have rocker switches, I like the push button ones like vid showed.

1 month later
#1431 2 years ago
Quoted from mfdavis1:

Can anyone confirm this Bottom medal guide is supposed to look like this? We the ball comes down the lane it hits that medal and cause the bit of a bump in the flow of the ball. The medal piece is a bit rough and it probably causing wear on the ball it’s self [quoted image][quoted image]

To me it looks like someone bent it down to accommodate the improper ball gate. My Comet is at my kids house or I could look at mine.

2 months later
#1480 1 year ago
Quoted from jaytrem:

Here ya go...
[quoted image][quoted image]

I stripped a parts Comet about 10 years ago and foolishly sold the playfield whole. I should have saved every last bracket and screw. That having been said it makes you wonder how parts like that go missing?

3 months later
#1588 1 year ago

yea, it's funny. A lot of people claim to like Comet but it is very underrated. Interestingly enough it has kept the price reasonable. While everything else went crazy lately Comet's are still affordable. It's a huge plus since all the ramps are available as well as a hardtop. I stupidly sold my Meteor back in the 80's and when i wanted to get back into pinball I looked in the San Jose Mercury News classifieds one weekend and bought my Comet for $475. That was in 1996. I've had it for 26 years and all 4 of my kids grew up with it, (now 19-25 years old), so mine isn't leaving ever. i don't think my kids would let me get rid of it.

I did a bunch of work to it in August of 2020 so it's looking pretty good now. I just brought it home 2 days ago from my sons house and while it has a flipper fuse issue,(likely an EOS switch), I can't wait to put some plays on it soon.

2 months later
#1617 1 year ago
Quoted from ShuntyMcShunt:

thanks for the reply! nice to see someone close by! i do need to fix the left hole on mine but figured i would do that when i got the new ramp and hardware. once that ramp entrance piece im speaking of is identified and sourced ill take care of the post as well.

I may have a used one. I'll have to check my Comet parts stash.

2 months later
#1644 1 year ago
Quoted from dmieczko:

I would think Pinballlife would have the correct coil stops, for sure. And yes, that missing part would be a regular star post plus a single-sided lane guide, if I remember correctly...

You do remember correctly.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pinbub.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/comet-any-fans-out-there?tu=Pinbub and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.