IMG_8160 (resized).jpg
IMG_8159 (resized).jpg
IMG_8158 (resized).jpg
IMG_8157 (resized).jpg
IMG_8156 (resized).jpg
IMG_8155 (resized).jpg
IMG_8154 (resized).jpg
IMG_8153 (resized).jpg
There are 1,751 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 36.
#151 6 years ago

I just got it off of ebay. The seller listed another one if anyone is interested.

#152 6 years ago
Quoted from hawkeyexx:

Jeff at Classic Arcades is making the dunk the dummy plastics. I purchased one from him at a pinball show.

I think that may be the seller I bought mine from. It looks slightly different from the one on my machine, so I guess it may be a repro.

#153 6 years ago

Anyone know offhand if the high score reset switch inside the coin door is momentary? Mine had the button ripped off of it prior to me owning it and I want to order a replacement.

#154 6 years ago
Quoted from Jason43:

Anyone know offhand if the high score reset switch inside the coin door is momentary? Mine had the button ripped off of it prior to me owning it and I want to order a replacement.

Both the HS reset and advance (black capped) are momentary. The advance up/down (red capped) is a latching type.

#155 6 years ago

Just rejoined the club after a several-year break. Very glad to have my Comet back! This one needs a full shop job - has anyone put colored or clear Titan rubber in their Comet? Looking for recommendations. Also, has anyone found a good free-play / instruction card set? I'm having trouble finding something cool & custom. Dave

#156 6 years ago
Quoted from dmieczko:

Just rejoined the club after a several-year break. Very glad to have my Comet back! This one needs a full shop job - has anyone put colored or clear Titan rubber in their Comet? Looking for recommendations. Also, has anyone found a good free-play / instruction card set? I'm having trouble finding something cool & custom. Dave

I went with Titan silicone in white, with one yellow and one orange flipper and orange post sleeves. I thought about clear, but decided against it. Love the Titans so far.

#157 6 years ago
Quoted from Jason43:

I went with Titan silicone in white, with one yellow and one orange flipper and orange post sleeves. I thought about clear, but decided against it. Love the Titans so far.

Cool, thanks. Definitely orange post sleeves seems like a good idea. I'll probably choose white or clear rubber for the rest.

#158 6 years ago

Still can't find a cool "free-play" card so I slapped this together in Word using a little piece of a side art scan. I'll see how it looks on the apron tonight.

comet-free (resized).jpgcomet-free (resized).jpg

#159 6 years ago

Here's the custom card I made for mine.

custom (resized).jpgcustom (resized).jpg

#160 6 years ago

Nice work on both of them

#161 6 years ago

Decided this guy needed to be lit up a little better and mounted a light in the corner of the playfield. Not sure why they didn't do this from the factory.

20170729_115619 (resized).jpg20170729_115619 (resized).jpg

#162 6 years ago

Updated pics. Final sanding, polish and wax complete. Ready to start reassembly/swap.

IMG_1477 (resized).JPGIMG_1477 (resized).JPG

IMG_1481 (resized).JPGIMG_1481 (resized).JPG

IMG_1480 (resized).JPGIMG_1480 (resized).JPG

IMG_1482 (resized).JPGIMG_1482 (resized).JPG

IMG_1485 (resized).JPGIMG_1485 (resized).JPG

IMG_1488 (resized).JPGIMG_1488 (resized).JPG

IMG_1491 (resized).JPGIMG_1491 (resized).JPG

#163 6 years ago

That turned out great.

#164 6 years ago

how much to send me a prepped playfield to swap :p

#165 6 years ago

Hey kids...I don't own Comet but I spotted one in the second Diary of a Wimpy Kid movie last night while watching it with my kids. Whatever roller rink they filmed at had one.

#166 6 years ago

Drscott, is that you playfield listed on ebay?

#167 6 years ago
Quoted from Jason43:

Drscott, is that you playfield listed on ebay?

his profile says Duncan - South Carolina, Ebay auction says the location is Lake Forest - California.

The shipping cost kills it for me.

#168 6 years ago

Same here. I'm liking the idea of the hardtop overlay better anyways. Especially since I wouldn't need to completely strip the playfield.

#169 6 years ago
Quoted from hawkeyexx:

Jeff at Classic Arcades is making the dunk the dummy plastics. I purchased one from him at a pinball show.

Yup i just bought one off him on ebay! I'm gonna scan it for safe keeping if in the future I break it and no spares are available.

#170 6 years ago
Quoted from dmieczko:

Still can't find a cool "free-play" card so I slapped this together in Word using a little piece of a side art scan. I'll see how it looks on the apron tonight.

Looks good. I'm going to try to make some cards with clowns on since my two year old son likes the clowns on Hurricane and Cyclone.
I also plan on changing out the red pop bumper caps to three different colors to match up with the bumper cars shown below them. I'd like to try to make a sticker for the top of pop bumper caps that has driver on it to look like the pops are bumper cars.

image-15 (resized).jpgimage-15 (resized).jpg

#171 6 years ago
Quoted from waynestatemac:

Looks good. I'm going to try to make some cards with clowns on since my two year old son likes the clowns on Hurricane and Cyclone.
I also plan on changing out the red pop bumper caps to three different colors to match up with the bumper cars shown below them. I'd like to try to make a sticker for the top of pop bumper caps that has driver on it to look like the pops are bumper cars.

Thats a pretty cool idea with the caps. I was thinking about trying transparent caps. I'm not a fan of the caps it came with.

#172 6 years ago
Quoted from Jason43:

Thats a pretty cool idea with the caps. I was thinking about trying transparent caps. I'm not a fan of the caps it came with.

Yea defiantly transparent caps will be the first thing I switch out and then try making the bumper car decals. I'm thinking transparent yellow, orange, & blue for the caps. For me the red pop bumper caps interfere with seeing the red 1986 inserts which can affect your chance at getting the million shot.

#173 6 years ago

Sorry guys I have not been following like a dedicated Comet owner.

That's me in Duncan Sc. I'll be glad to talk to anyone about doing one for you - but it is a great deal of work to pull the PF apart. You could probably get away leaving the bottom intact and just pulling the top side - the risk is getting clear overspray on everything and then having to clean it.

-scott

#174 6 years ago

FWIW...

I will have two PFs that would be overlay candidates that I could do for you all. That you could then swap yours out.

At least it would save the cost of you shipping the original to me first.

Let me get an idea of the shipping cost and we need to see if we can get any more overlays.

-scott

#175 6 years ago

If I got a PF from you, I'd send you my "core" so you could do another for someone else.

#176 6 years ago

Updated reassembly pics...

IMG_1592 (resized).JPGIMG_1592 (resized).JPG

IMG_1594 (resized).JPGIMG_1594 (resized).JPG

IMG_1593 (resized).JPGIMG_1593 (resized).JPG

IMG_1595 (resized).JPGIMG_1595 (resized).JPG

#177 6 years ago

lookin good dr

#178 6 years ago

Just want to say that I LOVE my Comet. It was one of the first pinball machines I ever owned, and it got me into the collecting hobby. I sold it several years ago, and have since owned dozens of different titles - everything from Walking Dead to Twilight Zone to Black Knight and a bunch in between. I had the chance to reacquire the game a couple months ago in a package deal, and I am really enjoying it all over again. There's something about the sounds, themes, playfield designs, and absolute fun factor that I love about these system 9's. That is all...

#179 6 years ago

Finished up reassembly today. Just have some adjusting to do now.

-scott

IMG_1622 (resized).JPGIMG_1622 (resized).JPG

IMG_1623 (resized).JPGIMG_1623 (resized).JPG

IMG_1624 (resized).JPGIMG_1624 (resized).JPG

IMG_1625 (resized).JPGIMG_1625 (resized).JPG

IMG_1626 (resized).JPGIMG_1626 (resized).JPG

IMG_1627 (resized).JPGIMG_1627 (resized).JPG

#180 6 years ago

That really turned out great

#181 6 years ago

very nice job

3 weeks later
#182 6 years ago

Malenko asked me to overlay and CC a PF for him, and wanted me to show pics of the process in this thread for all to see. Coming along well so far.

This PF is actually in better shape than the first one I did (above, for me). There is very little wear on this PF at the eject saucer holes, and the inserts are more level. On mine I had a couple of dished inserts (at the cycle jump) and a couple of arrows were raised. This PF is very smooth.

Back of the PF has been stripped and cleaned. Will mask the T-nuts and give it a fresh coat of gray.

Here are a couple of pics in the initial sanding process and after a blow dry and wipe down with Naphtha. Some more sanding to do as well as cleanup of the shooter lane.

Next step after final sanding will be sealing with poly.

IMG_1861 (resized).jpgIMG_1861 (resized).jpg

IMG_1864 (resized).jpgIMG_1864 (resized).jpg

#183 6 years ago

SUPER Excited for this. Glad to see the Hurricane left you alone for the most part

#184 6 years ago

After some more work this afternoon. I left the 'Comet' logo paintwork as it is not included on the new overlay. Will touch it up by hand before sealing. It will blend nicely with the initial sealer. Have taken a good bit of wood out of shooter lane and still have a bit of dirt. Will paint the layers of plywood in.

Also a couple of close ups of the saucers and the cleaned back.

IMG_1865 (resized).JPGIMG_1865 (resized).JPG

IMG_1866 (resized).JPGIMG_1866 (resized).JPG

IMG_1867 (resized).JPGIMG_1867 (resized).JPG

IMG_1868 (resized).JPGIMG_1868 (resized).JPG

IMG_1869 (resized).JPGIMG_1869 (resized).JPG

#185 6 years ago

Well hello ladies and mostly gentlemen. Joined the club today with a quick pick CL find. Paid a little more than I wanted but the guy was firm. I just wanted it. The cab was a solid 7.5-8, the backglass too. The field was filthy at a low five, but just dirty.

Brought it home, put the Polish to the elbow and greased it. Net result was a glossy near new finish. Touched up a few spots on the cab and decided I paid a fair price.

The only fault is that, and I didn't catch it during the pre-purchase inspection for some reason, is that coulmn 8 on the field is out. Hmmm.if anyone has a clue say so. But I'll get to the bottom of it one way or another.

The stickers were shot. Ordered new. The right flipper is solid but a tad weak. I'll get that bug squashed too. Heavy on the leds headed her way.

All in all, I'm happy with the purchase. She will fit in nicely with the other mid eighties.

Any suggestions are more than welcomed.

DSC_0171 (resized).JPGDSC_0171 (resized).JPG

1505416855033 (resized).jpg1505416855033 (resized).jpg

#186 6 years ago
Quoted from Mikedenton49:

Well hello ladies and mostly gentlemen. Joined the club today with a quick pick CL find. Paid a little more than I wanted but the guy was firm. I just wanted it. The cab was a solid 7.5-8, the backglass too. The field was filthy at a low five, but just dirty.
Brought it home, put the Polish to the elbow and greased it. Net result was a glossy near new finish. Touched up a few spots on the cab and decided I paid a fair price.
The only fault is that, and I didn't catch it during the pre-purchase inspection for some reason, is that coulmn 8 on the field is out. Hmmm.if anyone has a clue say so. But I'll get to the bottom of it one way or another.
The stickers were shot. Ordered new. The right flipper is solid but a tad weak. I'll get that bug squashed too. Heavy on the leds headed her way.
All in all, I'm happy with the purchase. She will fit in nicely with the other mid eighties.

My right flipper was also weak when i bought mine, even after a rebuild. Turns out it had a weaker coil installed. One meant for upper playfield flippers. Might be worth a look on yours.

#187 6 years ago

Congrats!! If you're going to fully shop it out, I suggest clear Titan rubber with orange flipper rubber & post sleeves. I just did mine with that combo, and it looks amazing.

#188 6 years ago
Quoted from dmieczko:

Congrats!! If you're going to fully shop it out, I suggest clear Titan rubber with orange flipper rubber & post sleeves. I just did mine with that combo, and it looks amazing.

Done and done. Thanks!

#189 6 years ago
Quoted from Jason43:

My right flipper was also weak when i bought mine, even after a rebuild. Turns out it had a weaker coil installed. One meant for upper playfield flippers. Might be worth a look on yours.

Indeed sir...

I fixed the light coulmn issue with a mere wiggle of the connectors. Today is a good day.

DSC_0172 (resized).JPGDSC_0172 (resized).JPG

#190 6 years ago

I'm currently restoring two Comet's. I have started a thread in the restoration sub-forum. Check it out.

#191 6 years ago

just joined the club. time for some cleaning.

#192 6 years ago

Quick question for the tech minded.
Just upgraded to all Comet top end leds. What amazing difference. It's bright and crisp now. One issue however.

The flashers I put in are staying on all the time. They do brighten when they are activated but they should go off right?

#193 6 years ago

Quick question for the tech minded.
Just upgraded to all Comet top end leds. What amazing difference. It's bright and crisp now. One issue however.
The flashers I put in are staying on all the time. They do brighten when they are activated but they should go off right?

Did you remove the warming resistors?
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/removing-warming-resistors

#194 6 years ago

Updates for this week on the latest PF overlay project. Applied first coat of sealer (Polyurethane). I just use brush on Wal-Mart brand for this step as it is sanded and works fine.

You can see the touchups on the Comet lettering in these pics as well as shooter lane work. The poly really brings the woodgrain out and it will look very nice in the "exposed" areas where the overlay has no color.

-scott

IMG_1870 (resized).jpgIMG_1870 (resized).jpg

IMG_1871 (resized).jpgIMG_1871 (resized).jpg

IMG_1872 (resized).jpgIMG_1872 (resized).jpg

IMG_1873 (resized).jpgIMG_1873 (resized).jpg

IMG_1874 (resized).jpgIMG_1874 (resized).jpg

IMG_1876 (resized).jpgIMG_1876 (resized).jpg

IMG_1877 (resized).jpgIMG_1877 (resized).jpg

IMG_1878 (resized).jpgIMG_1878 (resized).jpg

#195 6 years ago

looks amazing! Proceed with your best judgement. Dont forget pix of that corkscrew ramp (and optionally skee ball ramp)

#197 6 years ago

Don't use ANY LEDs to light the backbox.

Comet backglass has a warm yellow tone that is killed by any LEDs, even Warm White.

Swap any #44 bulbs for #47. The 47s have way less heat and provide the correct color spectrum for the glass.

#198 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Don't use ANY LEDs to light the backbox.
Comet backglass has a warm yellow tone that is killed by any LEDs, even Warm White.
Swap any #44 bulbs for #47. The 47s have way less heat and provide the correct color spectrum for the glass.

Second that. I kept my Comet at home as incandescent. The one here in our break room came with LEDs installed in it, and I left it that way. It looks terrible compared to #47s.

#199 6 years ago

I must be the minority. I thought that Nifty warm white LEDs looked great in the back box.

#200 6 years ago
Quoted from Jason43:

I must be the minority. I thought that Nifty warm white LEDs looked great in the back box.

I'm with ya on the warm whites. Nifty carries a nice warm white without crappy blue hues (same as we do). So, I bet that looked awesome!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Columbus, OH
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

There are 1,751 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 36.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/comet-any-fans-out-there/page/4?hl=investingdad and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.