IMG_8160 (resized).jpg
IMG_8159 (resized).jpg
IMG_8158 (resized).jpg
IMG_8157 (resized).jpg
IMG_8156 (resized).jpg
IMG_8155 (resized).jpg
IMG_8154 (resized).jpg
IMG_8153 (resized).jpg
There are 1,751 posts in this topic. You are on page 31 of 36.
#1501 1 year ago
Quoted from mof:

What is the proper set of legs for a Comet?
chrome single-rib?
dark grey no rib?
Or are there a few options?
-mof

Chrome no rib I believe.

#1502 1 year ago
Quoted from Pablito350:

Chrome no rib I believe.

Assuming the flyer is correct, it is indeed no rib.

#1503 1 year ago
Quoted from mof:

chrome single-rib?
dark grey no rib?
-mof

Chrome

COMET+FLYER (resized).jpgCOMET+FLYER (resized).jpg
#1504 1 year ago
Quoted from mof:

chrome single-rib?
dark grey no rib?
-mof

I thought the legs were black, but when I did my I only found brown chocolate ones. Wife says they look good.

#1505 1 year ago
Quoted from pyrotech:

I thought the legs were black, but when I did my I only found brown chocolate ones. Wife says they look good.

I guess I was wrong. Go with chrome.

#1506 1 year ago

I don't think anyone sells new System 9 legs (no ribs). I have bought the new ones with ribs before.

#1507 1 year ago
Quoted from kevmad:

I don't think anyone sells new System 9 legs (no ribs). I have bought the new ones with ribs before.

Looks like Pinball Life still has them. That where I got mine about 4 years ago...

https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-non-ribbed-chrome-legs-set-of-4.html

#1508 1 year ago
Quoted from mof:

chrome single-rib?
dark grey no rib?
-mof

I thought they were chrome no rib, but not sure

#1509 1 year ago

Can I ask for a screen shot of how the drop target coil stop is mounted?

I cleaned this one up 100%, and put it back together, and I have drag in the system. The drop doesn't easily go down all the way. I found slop in the coil stop. Screws just aren't pulling it into the main assembly all the way. I found it HARD to get the solenoid back in there...

This is my picture -- I'm wondering if the screws should be mounted from the other side.
-mof
20220722_comet-drop (resized).jpg20220722_comet-drop (resized).jpg

#1510 1 year ago

I compensated.

I think I have drop perfection now.

Talk about goldilocks zone.

1 hour predicted
3-4 hours actual

Added an extra washer on each side and it's locking in better now.

20220722_145726 (resized).jpg20220722_145726 (resized).jpg
#1511 1 year ago
Quoted from mof:

Can I ask for a screen shot of how the drop target coil stop is mounted?
I cleaned this one up 100%, and put it back together, and I have drag in the system. The drop doesn't easily go down all the way. I found slop in the coil stop. Screws just aren't pulling it into the main assembly all the way. I found it HARD to get the solenoid back in there...
This is my picture -- I'm wondering if the screws should be mounted from the other side.
-mof
[quoted image]

I don’t have the best picture of this but here it is…

FB16401E-F2BD-403B-BF1F-7A1370CD547D.jpegFB16401E-F2BD-403B-BF1F-7A1370CD547D.jpeg280EC1AB-7606-4187-86BF-BCFF5F092ECD.jpeg280EC1AB-7606-4187-86BF-BCFF5F092ECD.jpeg

#1512 1 year ago

thank you -- yes the screw comes in normally from the top side -- looks like. That's what I ended up doing -- not much clearance on the other side.

#1513 1 year ago

oh - I could flip the solenoid around -- that would actually make it a tad easier to install.

I don't have that fat spring on mine. Doesn't ring a bell for me in drop targets.

#1514 1 year ago

How do you guys have the rules set?

I feel kinda weird getting two free balls just by making the corkscrew. I think I stacked up 4 free balls one ball. Maybe 7 free balls overall that game. I only have 1 free ball for score at 1,200,000. But I have both special and shoot again set to extra ball.

Seems too generous.

Perhaps I could start by maxing the max free balls per ball to 2? I wish that were possible just for the first two balls, then NOT on ball 3... where it's most fun to keep extending it.

#1515 1 year ago

Can anyone confirm if this is the right ball gate for the center ramp? Mine is completely missing and I don't see a parts list in the manual.

Screen Shot 2022-07-27 at 10.17.37 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-07-27 at 10.17.37 AM (resized).png

Screen Shot 2022-07-27 at 12.07.25 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-07-27 at 12.07.25 PM (resized).png

Screen Shot 2022-07-27 at 12.19.48 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-07-27 at 12.19.48 PM (resized).png
#1516 1 year ago
Quoted from midcoastsurf:

Can anyone confirm if this is the right ball gate for the center ramp? Mine is completely missing and I don't see a parts list in the manual.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

That’s the one.

#1517 1 year ago
Quoted from radium:

That’s the one.

Thanks! Any idea what kind the two posts are? (on each side that support the ball gate)

#1518 1 year ago

Thanks! Any idea what kind the two posts are? (on each side that support the ball gate)

I think it’s this one…

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/02-4036-1

I have my game apart and went and looked. It is definitely a 8-32 thread on the bottom. You will need a #8 washer and kep nut also.

062F3289-3676-47F5-A839-BCF0082C27D0.jpeg062F3289-3676-47F5-A839-BCF0082C27D0.jpeg3816600A-60B4-4DA0-A1B2-C735AE69896A.jpeg3816600A-60B4-4DA0-A1B2-C735AE69896A.jpegC06071B3-3A4E-4B19-B7AA-188FE36C7DA6.jpegC06071B3-3A4E-4B19-B7AA-188FE36C7DA6.jpegD8607E17-4959-419C-9E2B-92997AD3BF32.jpegD8607E17-4959-419C-9E2B-92997AD3BF32.jpeg
#1519 1 year ago
Quoted from radium:

I think it’s this one…
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/02-4036-1
I have my game apart and went and looked. It is definitely a 8-32 thread on the bottom. You will need a #8 washer and kep nut also.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

THANK YOU! Are you in the middle of a hard top restore?

#1520 1 year ago

THANK YOU! Are you in the middle of a hard top restore?

I am! Project on pause while I redo my shop air. Upgrading to a 60G compressor.

Playfield had some bad delamination between the inserts as you can see.

#1521 1 year ago

I just picked up a Comet who's backglass is pretty faded. Anyone know where / if I can find a reproduction?
Are the translites on eBay any good?

Thanks very much

#1522 1 year ago
Quoted from Yoozernahme:

I just picked up a Comet who's backglass is pretty faded. Anyone know where / if I can find a reproduction?
Thanks very much

If I remember correctly, they get the job done, but the mirrored sections are gray and not reflective.

#1523 1 year ago
Quoted from Yoozernahme:

Thanks very much

Welcome to the club! Check with Mayfair. They have a lot of stuff not listed on their site. If they don't have it you just need to keep an eye out on ebay, facebook, etc. They show up every so often. I got a NOS a couple years ago on Craigslist.

#1524 1 year ago

Just finished this one with a new hardtop and new plastic set, rebuilt flippers and pop bumpers
Man this thing plays like greased lightning now
Planning on putting it up for sale soon

20220731_204816 (resized).jpg20220731_204816 (resized).jpg20220731_204853 (resized).jpg20220731_204853 (resized).jpg20220731_205625 (resized).jpg20220731_205625 (resized).jpg20220731_205808 (resized).jpg20220731_205808 (resized).jpg20220802_195510 (resized).jpg20220802_195510 (resized).jpg20220802_195533 (resized).jpg20220802_195533 (resized).jpg20220802_195743 (resized).jpg20220802_195743 (resized).jpg
#1525 1 year ago
Quoted from 80spit:

Just finished this one with a new hardtop and new plastic set, rebuilt flippers and pop bumpers
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Good luck with the sale - did the same thing mine sold local yesterday 08/02. He had to finish a few things but we were both happy.

#1526 1 year ago
Quoted from 80spit:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Nice! How long do you estimate the hardtop process took start to finish?

#1527 1 year ago
Quoted from wamonkey:

Good luck with the sale - did the same thing mine sold local yesterday 08/02. He had to finish a few things but we were both happy.

I remember reading your ad. I think it was a great deal given the amount of new parts alone (excluding any labor).

#1528 1 year ago

I remember reading your ad. I think it was a great deal given the amount of new parts alone (excluding any labor).

I actually had 2 comets, sold one 2 weeks ago. Figured I would finish the 2nd one since it was still fresh on the brain, hardtop went really well I dropped all the mechs and let them hang, sanded all the artwork off , spray can a couple coats of clear. Block sanded and applied the hardtop, probably have 15 to 20 hrs in it, couple hrs every night

#1529 1 year ago
Quoted from mof:

How do you guys have the rules set?
I feel kinda weird getting two free balls just by making the corkscrew. I think I stacked up 4 free balls one ball. Maybe 7 free balls overall that game. I only have 1 free ball for score at 1,200,000. But I have both special and shoot again set to extra ball.
Seems too generous.
Perhaps I could start by maxing the max free balls per ball to 2? I wish that were possible just for the first two balls, then NOT on ball 3... where it's most fun to keep extending it.

Yes this game can be too easy to get extra balls on with certain settings. I have mine set for a max of 1 extra ball at a time so you can’t continually bank them. I also have my special to award points instead of extra ball.

#1530 1 year ago

Anyone have a hard time making the corkscrew from a cradle position? I have to hit it just perfect or from on the fly to get enough momentum or I'll make it up about half way around then it comes back on me.

#1531 1 year ago
Quoted from GraniteStatePin:

Anyone have a hard time making the corkscrew from a cradle position? I have to hit it just perfect or from on the fly to get enough momentum or I'll make it up about half way around then it comes back on me.

My flippers are pretty strong. I wouldn't say I need to hit it perfect, but somewhat close. I'm happy with the current set up, wouldn't want it to be too easy.

#1532 1 year ago

Oh - I probably didn't make a dime. Never make any more for my time.

Tons of new parts - but the new buyer has a larger collection and he was excited for it. It was super clean I just lost steam after the hardtop. Summers are hard for me to do anything but my main job. I like restoring stuff for fun, it relaxes me, but sometimes I lose the excitement for a particular pin and just like to move on that is what happened on Comet. I think because I knew it would never be a keeper for me.

#1533 1 year ago

So I was checking the Rom revision, it says 2540 1.
So I imagine that it's revision one? I see on the net that it looks like it has had up to revision 4 as far as I can tell. I just want to check, did they revise the code for this game? And if so do they also do it for the sound chips? I figure I just might order some new burnt chips

20220804_224715 (resized).jpg20220804_224715 (resized).jpg

#1534 1 year ago

So none of my friends believe me, but, I believe the back's box was not wired appropriately. I had one eyeball and the nose as flashers. I believe it was wired that way by the factory. Initially I thought one of the eyeballs was just missing a diode so when I went to put it on it seemed to take out the strand of lights that you see in the picture that are dark. I was able to get the eyeballs to flash like it should have been. I tried following the wires for the Strand that is out but I can't seem to trace it back. And the manual is like zero help. Can anyone help me so I can either find if there's a cold solder joint or component that's been blown? I'm not getting any reading from The Strand itself. Thank you

20220805_195359 (resized).jpg20220805_195359 (resized).jpg
#1535 1 year ago
Quoted from Atari_The_Jedi:

So none of my friends believe me, but, I believe the back's box was not wired appropriately. I had one eyeball and the nose as flashers. I believe it was wired that way by the factory. Initially I thought one of the eyeballs was just missing a diode so when I went to put it on it seemed to take out the strand of lights that you see in the picture that are dark. I was able to get the eyeballs to flash like it should have been. I tried following the wires for the Strand that is out but I can't seem to trace it back. And the manual is like zero help. Can anyone help me so I can either find if there's a cold solder joint or component that's been blown? I'm not getting any reading from The Strand itself. Thank you
[quoted image]

Okay so I figured this one out after reheating a bunch of solder and going through everything several times, I took a resistor coil and I beat it until dust and junk came out. Who knows maybe it was cocaine from the 1980s but it's working now. And yes I've ordered a new coil

20220806_194334 (resized).jpg20220806_194334 (resized).jpg
#1536 1 year ago

So I was checking the Rom revision, it says 2540 1.
So I imagine that it's revision one? I see on the net that it looks like it has had up to revision 4 as far as I can tell. I just want to check, did they revise the code for this game? And if so do they also do it for the sound chips? I figure I just might order some new burnt chips
[quoted image]

So I found the answer to my own question there have been three revisions so there's an L4 programming out there for comet. I just went ahead and ordered a new set. I've also seen L5. However, it looks like that's for virtual pinball and I don't know why they would say L5 exactly, but that's also because I don't have experience with virtual pinball.

#1537 1 year ago

What’s the proper orientation of this wire that connects to the leaf switch? Looks like it could go two ways. This is connected to the gate arm on the center ramp entrance. Mine was completely missing, so not sure what’s correct.

CA147B7B-256C-4ABA-B638-4128DDF1EA23 (resized).jpegCA147B7B-256C-4ABA-B638-4128DDF1EA23 (resized).jpeg
#1538 1 year ago

[quoted image]

I think your friend should believe you, cause I have a comet with the exact same thing
Guess our machines were built by the same guy?

#1539 1 year ago
Quoted from Patzik:

I think your friend should believe you, cause I have a comet with the exact same thing
Guess our machines were built by the same guy?

You may be right or maybe built on the same day even my serial number is 68062. What's yours? I would say that the chances on the serial numbers being closed are pretty high I thought I saw somewhere online that somebody said they had the same problem, but I could never find that post again

#1540 1 year ago

You may be right or maybe built on the same day even my serial number is 68062. What's yours? I would say that the chances on the serial numbers being closed are pretty high I thought I saw somewhere online that somebody said they had the same problem, but I could never find that post again

Mine was built the same way, the eye and "nose" flashed. Our machines were built on a Friday going into a holiday weekend.

#1541 1 year ago

What’s the proper orientation of this wire that connects to the leaf switch? Looks like it could go two ways. This is connected to the gate arm on the center ramp entrance. Mine was completely missing, so not sure what’s correct.
[quoted image]

Mine is set up exactly like you show your's in the pic.

While we are on the topic of gate switches, can somebody show me how their gate is set up on the switch in the shooter lane? Mine wasn't connected and I'm not sure it has the correct wireform in the gate. When I connect the rod (removed in my pic) to the switch, it pulls the gate up and keeps the switch closed because the loop on the wireform goes up rather than down, like it does on the center gate. Does anybody have pics of how their's is set up? Am I missing another part? Does this have the wrong wireform installed? Thanks.

20220814_134113 (resized).jpg20220814_134113 (resized).jpg
#1542 1 year ago
Quoted from rrss:

Mine is set up exactly like you show your's in the pic.
While we are on the topic of gate switches, can somebody show me how their gate is set up on the switch in the shooter lane? Mine wasn't connected and I'm not sure it has the correct wireform in the gate. When I connect the rod (removed in my pic) to the switch, it pulls the gate up and keeps the switch closed because the loop on the wireform goes up rather than down, like it does on the center gate. Does anybody have pics of how their's is set up? Am I missing another part? Does this have the wrong wireform installed? Thanks. [quoted image]

I'm working through a hardtop install and here's a photo from teardown. Based on your pics, it look like my wiring is just as screwed up as yours. Switch 50 and 28 in the matrix seem to be flip flopped (ramp gate on mine is Wht-Red / Grn-Vio and the switch by the shooter lane is Wht-Yel / Grn Yel.

IMG_1879 (resized).jpgIMG_1879 (resized).jpgIMG_1880 (resized).jpgIMG_1880 (resized).jpg
#1543 1 year ago

Hmm, yes. I have the same problem. With the gate I have installed, it holds the gate open and the switch closed. I figured I had to be missing a part of the linkage or had wrong parts on mine. Typically the switch connecting rod loop on gate wireform drops down below the pivot axis, not above it.

#1545 1 year ago
Quoted from OpSteel:

Just saw an email from CPR that back glasses are now available.
https://classicplayfields.com/shop/pinball-backglasses/comet-2/

Did they ever work out their color matching issues? The FG and STTNG glasses I saw a while back were a horrible abomination.

#1546 1 year ago

That glass looks great. thanks for letting me know about it.

#1547 1 year ago
Quoted from radium:

Did they ever work out their color matching issues? The FG and STTNG glasses I saw a while back were a horrible abomination.

No clue, I've never actually gotten anything from them.

#1548 1 year ago

Does anyone know where I can find new bumber caps, original style?

#1549 1 year ago
Quoted from pyrotech:

Does anyone know where I can find new bumber caps, original style?

Ebay every so often. Been a while since I remember seeing any though.

#1550 1 year ago

Can you share advice on how you've set up the scoring rules so that i's not 13 free balls a game?
Any other adjustments you like?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

There are 1,751 posts in this topic. You are on page 31 of 36.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/comet-any-fans-out-there/page/31?hl=yoozernahme and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.