IMG_8160 (resized).jpg
IMG_8159 (resized).jpg
IMG_8158 (resized).jpg
IMG_8157 (resized).jpg
IMG_8156 (resized).jpg
IMG_8155 (resized).jpg
IMG_8154 (resized).jpg
IMG_8153 (resized).jpg
There are 1,751 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 36.
#1201 2 years ago

Comet center ramps.....Well they went quickly Existing inventory just depleted. I formed a bunch yesterday and will be finishing them through the weekend. OK to purchase if you want....I will simply fulfill in order of payment receive.

#1202 2 years ago

Hey COMET owners! I got all 3 ramps from Mark and just getting around to starting to install. I did both the Corkscrew and Cycle Jump so far. Corkscrew went smoothly and is working 100%, but I'm running into a slight issue with the Cycle Jump and wondering if anyone else had the same issue and/or if anyone has a solution.

The new Cycle Jump is now just slightly higher than the end of the metal ramp and there is a gap as well. This means that no matter how well and strong I hit the shot from the right flipper it will not go past the first cycle circle. It looks to be just catching enough on the start of the cycle jump to slow it down enough to not be able to make the 1 million point shot. I tried about 100 times from a right flipper stall and never made it past the first one.

This shot was hard before, but certainly possible before I switched the ramp, so I know it's not the flipper strength. Any ideas on how to easily fix this? Pics below.

cycle1 (resized).jpegcycle1 (resized).jpegcycle2 (resized).jpegcycle2 (resized).jpeg
#1203 2 years ago

Did you put the lock washers under the ramp instead of on top of it?

#1204 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Did you put the lock washers under the ramp instead of on top of it?

Not 100% positive exactly what you're asking, but I can confirm that I think I installed it correctly (or at least exactly how the original was installed when I got the game). The replacement cycle jump was installed using just the 4 screws (2 on top that have the locking threads and the 2 at the bottom that do not have the locking threads) all of which were installed from the top. I've taking off the cycle jump before to have access to switch out bulbs, but I've never taken off the metal jump ramp that leads to it. I was looking at that and wondering if I could raise it ever so slightly, but it didn't look possible. I'll mess around with it tomorrow and see if I can come up with something to get it working as well as before the change (unless anyone else has any advice) or if I did actually install it incorrectly.

I got the comet ramp installed now and with the 3 new ramps it's looking pretty good. I would love a new playfield, but those don't exactly exist...

comet1 (resized).jpegcomet1 (resized).jpegcomet2 (resized).jpegcomet2 (resized).jpeg
#1205 2 years ago
Quoted from ClarkGriswold:

I got the comet ramp installed now and with the 3 new ramps it's looking pretty good.[quoted image][quoted image

Looks awesome! I have the orange corkscrew and red cycle jump ramp as well, but still need to install them both. Following...

#1206 2 years ago

Hey, try bending (carefully) the metal ramp slightly to adjust it’s angle to compensate for the new cycle jump height.

#1207 2 years ago

Where are you all getting the Comet ramp decal?

#1208 2 years ago
Quoted from Comet_20:

Where are you all getting the Comet ramp decal?

Only place that I know of is in Australia (that's where I got mine)

It took a few weeks for it to arrive from overseas.

Here's the link - looks like they only have 4 left.

https://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/31-1368.html

#1209 2 years ago
Quoted from Ryguy25:

Hey, try bending (carefully) the metal ramp slightly to adjust it’s angle to compensate for the new cycle jump height.

I'll take a look at this tonight. Wasn't sure if something like that could be done was I was looking t it yesterday.

#1210 2 years ago

Not all Comets had the metal protector at the ramp opening. Looking at Mark's ramps I doubt you need it.

#1211 2 years ago

I'll mess around with it tomorrow and see if I can come up with something to get it working as well as before the change (unless anyone else has any advice) or if I did actually install it incorrectly.

Maybe you got it with the wrong posts installed by a previous owner?

Swap the posts with shorter ones, or cut/grind the existing ones down

I don't have a comet here, but I'm sure someone can measure the proper height for you

#1212 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Maybe you got it with the wrong posts installed by a previous owner?
Swap the posts with shorter ones, or cut/grind the existing ones down
I don't have a comet here, but I'm sure someone can measure the proper height for you

Good idea - Taking a little bit off the posts would likely work, It's only about 1/8" higher than it should be.

Quoted from Pinbub:

Not all Comets had the metal protector at the ramp opening. Looking at Mark's ramps I doubt you need it.

You will not need it. I have one and didn't see the need to install it at all. It also looks better as you can see more of the Comet ramp decal. You will need to make the depth of the cutout area (where the entrance of the ramp sits on the playfield) a bit lower to get mark's beefed up ramp to set level with the playfield anyway. It's pretty easy to just make the depth the same "thickness" as the ramp, so it sits perfectly level.

#1213 2 years ago

I have two center ramp decals available(I ordered two too many)

decl1 (resized).jpgdecl1 (resized).jpgdecal (resized).jpgdecal (resized).jpg
#1214 2 years ago

I got the comet ramp installed now and with the 3 new ramps it's looking pretty good. I would love a new playfield, but those don't exactly exist...

Go with a hardtop, that's what I did. They look and play phenomenal!

#1215 2 years ago
Quoted from Aznorthbend:

[quoted image][quoted image]

PM sent

#1216 2 years ago
Quoted from Aznorthbend:

both decals are gone

#1217 2 years ago

Comet Center ramp update...

Just had a nice conversation with Rick at Planetary concerning the decal for the new center ramp. We have reached and agreement and he will soon be able to supply me with decals for future center ramp sales as well as make the decals available at Planetary Pinball. Stay tuned!

Happy 4th!

Mark

#1218 2 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Comet Center ramp update...
Just had a nice conversation with Rick at Planetary concerning the decal for the new center ramp. We have reached and agreement and he will soon be able to supply me with decals for future center ramp sales as well as make the decals available at Planetary Pinball. Stay tuned!
Happy 4th!
Mark

That's great to hear! I am lucky enough to not need a center ramp but its nice to know I can get what amounts to a licensed repro if the need ever does arrive.

#1219 2 years ago

Hi all,
joined pinside recently after finding a Comet for sale. Here are some pics, as I try to figure out why the MPU isn't booting (error code 1).
Seems the voltage is too low on the board (PSU drops from 5.15v to about 4.4).
Cabinet a little loose, but will get to the aesthetics after we get it running.

Big shout out to Freeplay40 willing to send his ramps south, to Australia and helping us restore a great unit. Thanks heaps!
Anyhow, here are some pics. cheers

IMG-8952 (resized).JPGIMG-8952 (resized).JPGIMG-8953 (resized).JPGIMG-8953 (resized).JPGIMG-8954 (resized).JPGIMG-8954 (resized).JPGIMG-8955 (resized).JPGIMG-8955 (resized).JPGIMG-8956 (resized).JPGIMG-8956 (resized).JPGIMG-8957 (resized).JPGIMG-8957 (resized).JPG
#1220 2 years ago

Looking for some displays for my Comet, if you recently changed yours over to LED I'll take your old working ones.

#1221 2 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

Looking for some displays for my Comet, if you recently changed yours over to LED I'll take your old working ones.

I have a complete working set of displays as I updated to PinScore. $100 - shoot me a PM.

#1222 2 years ago
Quoted from smalltownguy2:

I have a complete working set of displays as I updated to PinScore. $100 - shoot me a PM.

PM sent

#1223 2 years ago

Anyone know where I can get a new cork screw ramp?

#1224 2 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

Anyone know where I can get a new cork screw ramp?

Freeplay40 makes all the Comet ramps.

Much better than OEM quality, I use them myself

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/comet-any-fans-out-there/page/23#post-6202533

#1225 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Freeplay40 makes all the Comet ramps.
Much better than OEM quality, I use them myself
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/comet-any-fans-out-there/page/23#post-6202533

Thanks just ordered one!

#1226 2 years ago

I just picked up a Comet this weekend. Didn't grab pics(I was in a hurry to deliver a Flintstones), but it's basically a perfect backglass and cabinet. The playfield has wear. What would the value be, in your opinion, if I dropped a hardtop on it? I'll share some pics later.

#1227 2 years ago

I'd guess $2500 +- 500 depending if ramps are nice (or replaced) and plastics, etc. Also assumes 100% working. May or may not be worth your time. I enjoyed doing mine, but only because I was keeping it.

#1228 2 years ago

Thanks. That's about my gut feeling on the value. It's working 100% right now. And I believe it just had a new ramp. I immediately put it in an arcade to swap a machine I was selling, but I'll be pulling it back shortly and then I'll do any changes.

#1229 2 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Comet center ramps.....Well they went quickly Existing inventory just depleted. I formed a bunch yesterday and will be finishing them through the weekend. OK to purchase if you want....I will simply fulfill in order of payment receive.

Thanks Freeplay for the awesome corkscrew ramp, I like the translucent effect too. Great ramp and shipping was quick!

02B96FB1-6559-46F2-9FE6-A9C829755E4B (resized).jpeg02B96FB1-6559-46F2-9FE6-A9C829755E4B (resized).jpeg
#1230 2 years ago

Wondering if i can get some help figuring out what male and female pins goes in the connector. Trying to repair but not sure what to order.

20210713_191046 (resized).jpg20210713_191046 (resized).jpg20210713_191051 (resized).jpg20210713_191051 (resized).jpg
#1231 2 years ago
Quoted from codered9394:

Wondering if i can get some help figuring out what male and female pins goes in the connector. Trying to repair but not sure what to order.

Page 26 in the manual has the replacement pin info

#1232 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Page 26 in the manual has the replacement pin info

Thanks vid

#1233 2 years ago

Hey COMET owners! I got all 3 ramps from Mark and just getting around to starting to install. I did both the Corkscrew and Cycle Jump so far. Corkscrew went smoothly and is working 100%, but I'm running into a slight issue with the Cycle Jump and wondering if anyone else had the same issue and/or if anyone has a solution.
The new Cycle Jump is now just slightly higher than the end of the metal ramp and there is a gap as well. This means that no matter how well and strong I hit the shot from the right flipper it will not go past the first cycle circle. It looks to be just catching enough on the start of the cycle jump to slow it down enough to not be able to make the 1 million point shot. I tried about 100 times from a right flipper stall and never made it past the first one.
This shot was hard before, but certainly possible before I switched the ramp, so I know it's not the flipper strength. Any ideas on how to easily fix this? Pics below.[quoted image][quoted image]

I too had the same issue. There were washers under the bottom posts holding the cycle jump. I removed the washers and the fit was much better but not 100%. The cycle jump was from Marco.

#1234 2 years ago

The screw for this post will not tighten because the wood is striped out under it. My question is can i replace this wood screw with a stud that threads into a T-nut like what is use for the lanes at the top of the paly field. or the ones around the kicker? or is there a better solution?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#1235 2 years ago
Quoted from Comet_20:

The screw for this post will not tighten because the wood is striped out under it. My question is can i replace this wood screw with a stud that threads into a T-nut like what is use for the lanes at the top of the paly field. or the ones around the kicker? or is there a better solution?[quoted image]

Quick solution is usually to fill the hole with toothpicks and then screw the post in. Long-term solution would be to fill the hole with wood glue, re-drill, and then go from there.

#1236 2 years ago
Quoted from Comet_20:

The screw for this post will not tighten because the wood is striped out under it. My question is can i replace this wood screw with a stud that threads into a T-nut like what is use for the lanes at the top of the paly field. or the ones around the kicker? or is there a better solution?[quoted image]

You can t-nut it, but then you can't adjust the outlane to make it more difficult as your skills increase

Or you can just dip a shish-k-bob skewer in white glue, and tap it into the hole. Snip flush to the playfield with wire cutters, and put the post back in; you don't even have to wait for the glue to dry

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-fixing-stripped-screw-holes-in-wood

#1237 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

You can t-nut it, but then you can't adjust the outlane to make it more difficult as your skills increase
Or you can just dip a shish-k-bob skewer in white glue, and tap it into the hole. Snip flush to the playfield with wire cutters, and put the post back in; you don't even have to wait for the glue to dry
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-fixing-stripped-screw-holes-in-wood

Thank you for the advise i will give this a try

#1238 2 years ago

If anyone is changing out their cycle ramp, I need a picture of the wiring behind the one million when light sign, the red wire on mine has come loose and I'm not entirely positive where it goes.

Thanks

#1239 2 years ago
Quoted from Aznorthbend:

If anyone is changing out their cycle ramp, I need a picture of the wiring behind the one million when light sign, the red wire on mine has come loose and I'm not entirely positive where it goes.
Thanks

Hope this helps.

comet (resized).PNGcomet (resized).PNG
#1240 2 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

Hope this helps.
[quoted image]

Thank you

#1241 2 years ago

Just received word that the decal for the Comet Center Ramp is now available at Planetary Pinball....

http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PPS-31-1368

Thanks, Rick!

#1242 2 years ago

Questions for the group. Comet is new to my collection.
When completing the 1986 lights are the lights supposed to go out?

Are the 1 and 6 lights tied together?

Currently my lane change is not working, does anyone have a clear picture of the switch wiring. I have a new switch and would like to ensure it’s connected properly. This may be affecting the 1986 issue?

When hitting the dunk the dummy is the green light supposed to go on? What triggers the green light?

#1243 2 years ago
Quoted from gstanczuk:

Questions for the group. Comet is new to my collection.
When completing the 1986 lights are the lights supposed to go out?
Currently my lane change is not working, does anyone have a clear picture of the switch wiring. I have a new switch and would like to ensure it’s connected properly. This may be affecting the 1986 issue?
When hitting the dunk the dummy is the green light supposed to go on? What triggers the green light?

I will help you with what I can. The lights on the 1986 go out when you complete them and light the 2x, 3x, or 5x. The 1 and 6 lights are not tied on my comet(not sure what you mean by tied but one does not affect the other). When you hit the dummy drop target the green light comes on and goes off once the target comes back up.
As far as the switch wiring, are you looking for the right flipper assembly?

#1244 2 years ago
Quoted from Aznorthbend:

I will help you with what I can. The lights on the 1986 go out when you complete them and light the 2x, 3x, or 5x. The 1 and 6 lights are not tied on my comet(not sure what you mean by tied but one does not affect the other). When you hit the dummy drop target the green light comes on and goes off once the target comes back up.
As far as the switch wiring, are you looking for the right flipper assembly?

Yes the right flipper for lane change. My lights for the 1 and 6 seem to be connected somehow. I found that the target for dunk the dummy didn’t always trigger the switch. The switch has been adjusted and now working properly

#1245 2 years ago
Quoted from gstanczuk:

Not supposed to be.

Take the ball out and go into Switch Test,

Make sure 1 and 6 are reporting back the proper Switch #s

1 week later
#1246 2 years ago

Yes the right flipper for lane change. My lights for the 1 and 6 seem to be connected somehow. I found that the target for dunk the dummy didn’t always trigger the switch. The switch has been adjusted and now working properly</blockquoteis

is this what you need?

flipper (resized).jpgflipper (resized).jpgflipper2 (resized).jpgflipper2 (resized).jpgflipper3 (resized).jpgflipper3 (resized).jpgflipper4 (resized).jpgflipper4 (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#1247 2 years ago

Hello all! Just recently picked up a comet to add to my collection. Wonderful addition next to my cyclone.

Question about high scores. I’ve gone into the menu settings (I believe it’s option 12) and made sure I pressed the start button to fill in players 1-4 as to display 4 high scores. It automatically fills in with all 9’s.

I then go into option 13 and set the default high scores. But when I get out of the menu option, it displays high scores (all of them 1-4) as 9,999,999

Can someone chime in where I’m going wrong? Shouldn’t it display the default high scores I placed? Obviously if all four high scores show 9,999,999 then nobody’s scores will display. This is my first system 9 so I’m sure I’m doing something wrong.

Note: fresh batteries were installed so it’s not a battery issue. All my settings hold except it won’t display the default high scores.

#1248 2 years ago

Thanks to Rick at Planetary Pinball, we now have decals for the Comet center ramp! Price with the decal will be $147.

For those of you who purchased the ramp without the decal, you can order one from me for $16 including postage (Domestic US). If you happen to be in need of other parts, you can also order directly from Planetary Pinball.

IMG_1744 (resized).JPGIMG_1744 (resized).JPG
#1249 2 years ago

I'm torn because my center ramp is fine, but I know if I get yours it'll last forever.

Since your plastic is thicker, can we install your center ramp without the metal plate at the bottom that covers up part of the coaster?

#1250 2 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

I'm torn because my center ramp is fine, but I know if I get yours it'll last forever.
Since your plastic is thicker, can we install your center ramp without the metal plate at the bottom that covers up part of the coaster?

Can't remember off hand who it was but another Pinsider did install his without the metal protector at the entrance and it fit well. I suspect that if you were to want to install the protector, the inset in the playfield would need to be shaved down approx 1/16" to accommodate the thicker plastic.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Columbus, OH
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

There are 1,751 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 36.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/comet-any-fans-out-there/page/25 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.