IMG_8160 (resized).jpg
IMG_8159 (resized).jpg
IMG_8158 (resized).jpg
IMG_8157 (resized).jpg
IMG_8156 (resized).jpg
IMG_8155 (resized).jpg
IMG_8154 (resized).jpg
IMG_8153 (resized).jpg
There are 1,751 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 36.
#1101 3 years ago

Here's mine. I just fabricated it out of a thick paperclip

1612291370434237195631124827809 (resized).jpg1612291370434237195631124827809 (resized).jpg
#1102 3 years ago
Quoted from Jason43:

Here's mine. I just fabricated it out of a thick paperclip
[quoted image]

Great pic! Does the gate swing both ways? Or does the left/bottom hinge/wire prevent the gate from swinging to the left?

#1103 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinbub:

[quoted image]
Freeplay 40 ramps are the red cycle jump ramp on the left of the top row and clear orange cork screw ramp on the left in the bottom row. Both are much sturdier than stock

How can I get these ramps?

#1104 3 years ago
Quoted from midcoastsurf:

Great pic! Does the gate swing both ways? Or does the left/bottom hinge/wire prevent the gate from swinging to the left?

Nope, one way. The ball only passes through from the left. The end of the wire in the right hits the chrome piece and stops it from moving in the opposite direction

#1105 3 years ago

It only swings one way, where the ball can go toward the flipper. Marco carries it but I don't know the part number off the top of my head. It is listed in the manual.

#1106 3 years ago
Quoted from OpSteel:

It only swings one way, where the ball can go toward the flipper. Marco carries it but I don't know the part number off the top of my head. It is listed in the manual.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-10744

A-10744

#1107 3 years ago
Quoted from mfdavis1:

How can I get these ramps?

send a PM to freeplay40...

https://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/freeplay40

Center ramp should be available from him soon too. Get your name on the list if you want one.

#1108 3 years ago

Thanks! Looks like currently out of stock, BUT great to see how it SHOULD look, lol.

#1109 3 years ago

Thanks! Looks like currently out of stock, BUT great to see how it SHOULD look, lol.

Agreed.

Glad this discussion was going. I feel like a fool, though: I have the bracket on my game, but there's no gate there!

WHY DIDN'T I BOTHER TO INVESTIGATE IF A GATE SHOULD BE THERE.

...sooooooo many future drains will be prevented...

I think I'm going to try taking a page out of @jason43's book and fabricate a paper-clip replacement.

#1110 3 years ago
Quoted from reconsider59:

I think I'm going to try taking a page out of jason43's book and fabricate a paper-clip replacement.

Don't use a paperclip to make gates, use piano wire because it springs rather than deforms from use

Marco, Pinrestore, PBR, everyone sells short lengths of it

#1111 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Don't use a paperclip to make gates, use piano wire because it springs rather than deforms from use

themoreyouknow (resized).pngthemoreyouknow (resized).png
#1112 3 years ago

Agreed.
Glad this discussion was going. I feel like a fool, though: I have the bracket on my game, but there's no gate there!
WHY DIDN'T I BOTHER TO INVESTIGATE IF A GATE SHOULD BE THERE.
...sooooooo many future drains will be prevented...
I think I'm going to try taking a page out of jason43's book and fabricate a paper-clip replacement.

It was a couple years before I realized there was a gate where the ball ejects from the cycle jump/skeeball ramp.

#1113 3 years ago
Quoted from Jason43:

It was a couple years before I realized there was a gate where the ball ejects from the cycle jump/skeeball ramp.

...something else I learned from this thread a little while ago, ha! Pinside is the best, innit?

#1114 3 years ago
Quoted from Jason43:

Wait....what?! I love collecting the cycle ramp from the pops. Hmmmmm. Just looked and the gate assembly is completely missing.

The cycle jump gate is part#A-10827 for those coming to this thread wondering. Looks like Marco is currently out of stock on both gates I need.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=a-10827

#1115 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Actually, iirc, I went back and re-did the gate with heavy gauge spinner bait wire. It's held up very well.

#1116 3 years ago
Quoted from Jason43:

Actually, iirc, I went back and re-did the gate with heavy gauge spinner bait wire. It's held up very well.

You sure you aren't thinking of Fish Tales?

#1117 3 years ago

Um, weird one here: my game won’t turn off?

I was under the playfield, adjusting a pop and replacing the 200k switch, with the game off.

Turned the game on, to be sure that things seemed fine; all was in order. Went to turn it off...and it won’t turn off.

I unplugged it. Replaced the 8A fuse in the cabinet. Checked the physical switch, even re-soldered the connections on it. Switch still doesn’t turn off the game.

Um. What the hell?

#1118 3 years ago

When a switch finally breaks, it either fails in the OFF or ON position.

Yours failed ON

Time for a new switch

#1119 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

When a switch finally breaks, it either fails in the OFF or ON position.
Yours failed ON
Time for a new switch

I thought, and hoped, this simple solution was the correct answer...but I was worried that in some sort of n00b stupidity, there was something else that could have gone wrong, that I just didn't know about.

New switch is easy enough! Thanks, @vid1900.

#1120 3 years ago

I thought, and hoped, this simple solution was the correct answer...but I was worried that in some sort of n00b stupidity, there was something else that could have gone wrong, that I just didn't know about.

If you want to **know**, check the switch with your meter.

If it beeps in both the ON and OFF positions, you know it has failed with the contacts closed.

#1121 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

If you want to **know**, check the switch with your meter.
If it beeps in both the ON and OFF positions, you know it has failed with the contacts closed.

EDIT: ...so it actually only beeps in one direction. Which means the switch...should work? Now I'm confused.

...and because I'm still pretty new to electronics stuff, if and when I get a new switch, is it ok to install one with a higher Amperage rating? It seems to me that'd be totally fine, from my limited knowledge of electronics, but again, still very frosh to this stuff and would hate to fry a game putting in a part that's not correct...

#1122 3 years ago

Higher amperage is good (if you are only drawing 4 amps and your switch is rated for 20 amps, the switch will last forever)

Higher voltage is good (same thing, if switch is rated for 240vac and you are using it on a 120v circuit, that's great)

Many toggle switches are made for automotive use and are only rated for 36vdc, so dont use those by accident

#1123 3 years ago

EDIT: ...so it actually only beeps in one direction. Which means the switch...should work? Now I'm confused.

Unsolder the switch and test it out of the circuit

Unplug the game before you do this.....

#1124 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Unsolder the switch and test it out of the circuit
Unplug the game before you do this.....

Yep, I did. Open in one switch direction; shorted in the other. But this HAS to be the problem...

Got another switch on order, they're super-cheap. I'll report back once it's replaced.

#1125 3 years ago

Yep, I did. Open in one switch direction; shorted in the other. But this HAS to be the problem...
Got another switch on order, they're super-cheap. I'll report back once it's replaced.

Of course, as you called it, @vid1900, it was the switch! Game is fully operational again. Thank you!

...I'm still weirded out by that switch that tested fine but totally didn't work, but eh, my Comet is playable again, that's what matters!

Is there a Vid tip-jar somewhere? My friend, between your guides elsewhere on pinside, and seemingly popping up whenever I need an assist, I would gladly show my appreciation in a monetary way!

1 week later
#1126 3 years ago

Ground braid question. I was under the impression that the ground prong on the power cord should have continuity to any ground braid or panel (Ie. Where boards are secured) in the game.

I have continuity between the ground prong and the ground braid in the bottom cabinet, but not the playfield braid where the lighting taps into.

Where does your playfield tie into ground? Is it via a long ground braid to the braid in the bottom of the cabinet?

#1127 3 years ago

Ground braid question. I was under the impression that the ground prong on the power cord should have continuity to any ground braid or panel (Ie. Where boards are secured) in the game.
I have continuity between the ground prong and the ground braid in the bottom cabinet, but not the playfield braid where the lighting taps into.
Where does your playfield tie into ground? Is it via a long ground braid to the braid in the bottom of the cabinet?

It connects in the base of the head. There is a stud there and it connects with a wingnut. Should be a ground that is encased in a plastic tube to insulate it coming from the playfield.

#1128 3 years ago

After Comet Hardtop install/rebuild, ball occasionally traps in the pocket behind Dunk the Dummy, due to the Hardtop added thickness. Ball prevents drop target reset, as the ball is sitting upon drop target top surface.

I am considering a bevel on Hardtop edge in front of target. Also considered a slight bevel on drop target top edge.

Anyone else encountered this, and if so, what is your fix?

#1129 3 years ago

I don't recall having that issue with mine. Could you glue a flat piece of plastic to the top of the target to make it level with the playfield?

#1130 3 years ago
Quoted from keith20mm:

After Comet Hardtop install/rebuild, ball occasionally traps in the pocket behind Dunk the Dummy, due to the Hardtop added thickness. Ball prevents drop target reset, as the ball is sitting upon drop target top surface.
I am considering a bevel on Hardtop edge in front of target. Also considered a slight bevel on drop target top edge.
Anyone else encountered this, and if so, what is your fix?

raise the target. There's an adjustable bracket at the bottom that controls the height.

#1131 3 years ago

Can anyone confirm the correct target color and replacement part number for the standup target behind the dunk the dummy drop target? Manual says A-9618 for standup target assembly. The target in my game is white. Thanks

1FEB6ABA-D725-4583-95DB-973E2314A846 (resized).jpeg1FEB6ABA-D725-4583-95DB-973E2314A846 (resized).jpeg
#1132 3 years ago
Quoted from jk:

Can anyone confirm the correct target color and replacement part number for the standup target behind the dunk the dummy drop target? Manual says A-9618 for standup target assembly. The target in my game is white. Thanks

Mine is the red w/white lines bullseye target, but who knows if that is original or not...
download (resized).jpgdownload (resized).jpg

Oh and hello, yes I'm in the club! Picked up my Comet about 18 months ago. Has a hardtop. I had to reverse/correct a bunch of hacks/wrong/failed fixes. Installed Mosfets, nvram, restored coin door and now I have a beautiful Comet that plays and looks great! I'd still like to do some cab fixes touchups but maybe down the road I'll get to them...

#1133 3 years ago

Bullseye is correct.

#1134 3 years ago

Thanks, I’ll have to try and find a bullseye target. Anyone know the correct part #? I’ll have to email pinball resource and see if he has any.

1 week later
#1136 3 years ago

Just finishing putting my Comet back together. The Hardtop turned out nice. I bought a CPR plastics set but I’m not sure where this one small green plastic goes? It’s similar to the green one beside the cycle jump ramp. Is it supposed to stack on top of that other green one?

00A7089D-C740-4A62-ABB8-E49B47014564 (resized).jpeg00A7089D-C740-4A62-ABB8-E49B47014564 (resized).jpeg
#1137 3 years ago

Looks like they might have thown in a bonus with a missing hole. It does not stack. Be sure to hold to that, that plastic is often broken.

#1138 3 years ago
Quoted from jaytrem:

Looks like they might have thown in a bonus with a missing hole. It does not stack. Be sure to hold to that, that plastic is often broken.

Thanks, yeah not sure why it’s missing a hole. I’ll keep it as a spare.

1 week later
#1139 3 years ago

If anyone needs an old back glass I have one in Newburgh ny ( local pick up only)

01AE143D-485F-4AF2-AA90-0F1B8C1B7A83 (resized).jpeg01AE143D-485F-4AF2-AA90-0F1B8C1B7A83 (resized).jpegE0CEDA4A-EA0D-4AB1-BBDD-B699DDAA0ADB (resized).jpegE0CEDA4A-EA0D-4AB1-BBDD-B699DDAA0ADB (resized).jpeg
#1140 3 years ago
Quoted from wastedwarriors:

If anyone needs an old back glass I have one in Newburgh ny ( local pick up only)[quoted image][quoted image]

I saw that score of your earlier and wish I was closer!

#1141 3 years ago
Quoted from wastedwarriors:

If anyone needs an old back glass I have one in Newburgh ny ( local pick up only)

Wish I was closer. Mine is pretty bad looking.

#1142 3 years ago

Hi there, new to pinside, I will join the Comet Club. Like many others I will say that Comet is the machine that really got me started in pinball as a kid. I ended up buying one while I was in high school and have kept it ever since. It has been in storage for over 20 years, and I just recently brought it home. At this point I am working on getting it back to life. It is currently working just fine, has a cracked corkscrew and comet ramp. There are a few lights that stay on when they should be off. Hopefully I can get that figured out. It is only 3 of the lights. 4x bonus, all scores 5x, and the 6 of 1986 at the top. Any hints on the light issue would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_0142 (resized).jpgIMG_0142 (resized).jpg
#1143 3 years ago
Quoted from cjsteve:

Hi there, new to pinside, I will join the Comet Club. Like many others I will say that Comet is the machine that really got me started in pinball as a kid. I ended up buying one while I was in high school and have kept it ever since. It has been in storage for over 20 years, and I just recently brought it home. At this point I am working on getting it back to life. It is currently working just fine, has a cracked corkscrew and comet ramp. There are a few lights that stay on when they should be off. Hopefully I can get that figured out. It is only 3 of the lights. 4x bonus, all scores 5x, and the 6 of 1986 at the top. Any hints on the light issue would be greatly appreciated.
[quoted image]

Awesome!!

Corkscrew ramp replacement is available. Search for pinsider: Freeplay40

#1144 3 years ago

Awesome!!

Freeplay40 is planning to soon make replacement Comet ramps, as well...you're probably looking for them at exactly the right time. Search for his thread on here, and let him know you're interested in those ramps! I actually think he might have the jump ramp, too...

#1145 3 years ago

Freeplay40 is planning to soon make replacement Comet ramps, as well...you're probably looking for them at exactly the right time. Search for his thread on here, and let him know you're interested in those ramps! I actually think he might have the jump ramp, too...

Yup....

IMG_1353 (resized).JPGIMG_1353 (resized).JPGIMG_1448 (resized).JPGIMG_1448 (resized).JPG
#1146 3 years ago

Awesome!!

Already got on the list for the comet ramp and ordered the corkscrew!

#1147 3 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Yup....
[quoted image][quoted image]

GORGEOUS!!!

Just ordered the corkscrew and red jump ramp. Can't wait to rebuild the flippers and let 'er fly!

#1148 3 years ago

FIXED! (Thanks to Gavin)

Still chasing this fast flicker issue when lights should be lit solid. Happens with incandescents and LED (regular and non-ghosting from Comet and Pinball Life).

Is this a board issue? Happens with all controlled insert lights. Looking at YouTube vids, these bulbs should stay lit solid when a target is hit (Ie. Ducks or Rabbits).

Solve: screws on top of large capacitor in back box were loose. Tightened them up and strobing disappeared.

#1149 3 years ago

SOLVED!!!! Thanks to FreePlay40 for answering my question when I messaged him direct. Great Seller and even better guy!

I bought a new Cycle Jump Ramp from FreePlay40 and it looks great, one question I had was does anyone have any advice on how to remove the rivets from the back of the original ramp that holds the Million Point display?

Also any suggestions how to reattach after I get the rivets out without having a rivet gun?

Thanks,

Tim

#comet

#1150 3 years ago
Quoted from TPMARTIN:

I bought a new Cycle Jump Ramp from FreePlay40 and it looks great, one question I had was does anyone have any advice on how to remove the rivets from the back of the original ramp that holds the Million Point display?
Also any suggestions how to reattach after I get the rivets out without having a rivet gun?
Thanks,
Tim
Comet

I used a sanding stone on my dremel and carefully filed awhile the rivet heads and the sign popped right off. Without a rivet gun, I suppose you could use a couple small bolts with nylon lock nuts on the back. Purists will scream but it should work just fine.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
Machine - For Sale
Columbus, OH
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

There are 1,751 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 36.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/comet-any-fans-out-there/page/23 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.