IMG_8160 (resized).jpg
IMG_8159 (resized).jpg
IMG_8158 (resized).jpg
IMG_8157 (resized).jpg
IMG_8156 (resized).jpg
IMG_8155 (resized).jpg
IMG_8154 (resized).jpg
IMG_8153 (resized).jpg
There are 1,751 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 36.
#951 3 years ago
Quoted from yaksplat:

That's a speaker wire.
Reterminate the hot connector. The connections inside are fouled.

I am sorry, I don't understand the connector repair.

#952 3 years ago
Quoted from bowtech:

She wants 400 for it. I am not afraid to fix it but I don't want to pump more money in it than I could sell it for when I'm tired of owning it. See pictures and let me know your thoughts.

Did you buy it? It’s a low risk project. Save the displays for last and focus on boards and playfield is my reco.

#953 3 years ago

Trying to do something with the dead space at the top of the play field...

20200916_150217 (resized).jpg20200916_150217 (resized).jpg
#954 3 years ago
Quoted from Jason43:

[quoted image]

Looks really nice!

#955 3 years ago
Quoted from Jason43:

[quoted image]

With the mirror? Looks cool! Did you cut a mirror or is that reflective tape?

#956 3 years ago
Quoted from midcoastsurf:

Did you buy it? It’s a low risk project. Save the displays for last and focus on boards and playfield is my reco.

I have not yet. Still waiting to hear back from her. If I did but it shopping it and making sure it played was first thing. Displays last for sure. Just not sure what direction I would need to go with the not starting and board issue.

#957 3 years ago

With the mirror? Looks cool! Did you cut a mirror or is that reflective tape?

Found a place that sells mirrored plexi, cut to fit.

#958 3 years ago
Quoted from bowtech:

I have not yet. Still waiting to hear back from her. If I did but it shopping it and making sure it played was first thing. Displays last for sure. Just not sure what direction I would need to go with the not starting and board issue.

I would start with manually checking trough switch to see if it shows up in switch test and looking for loose wires. Can you add credits to the game?

I have the same issue on my Comet project. Hitting start does nothing. Haven’t dug in yet.

#959 3 years ago
Quoted from Jason43:

Found a place that sells mirrored plexi, cut to fit.

Awesome! Looks sharp.

#960 3 years ago
Quoted from Jason43:

[quoted image]

I like it. I wonder if it'd be more theme appropriate if they could do the plexi like a funhouse mirror...but then ppl would complain it "looks wavy"

#961 3 years ago
Quoted from Jason43:

[quoted image]

I like it as well

#962 3 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

I like it. I wonder if it'd be more theme appropriate if they could do the plexi like a funhouse mirror...but then ppl would complain it "looks wavy"

That's a really cool idea - maybe if there was a border around it that made it look like a framed mirror? Could even add a sign to the top of it.

2 weeks later
#963 3 years ago

Joining the club. Got my first pin last month and just starting to restore it. Field is in great shape but problem with the mother board and displays. Any suggestions on sites for restoring or advise would be greatly appreciated.

2968A1CF-071D-48DF-983A-0FCBD5FB9FB6 (resized).jpeg2968A1CF-071D-48DF-983A-0FCBD5FB9FB6 (resized).jpeg2CB3196C-DBFD-496D-9209-B224FEF04625 (resized).jpeg2CB3196C-DBFD-496D-9209-B224FEF04625 (resized).jpeg5551BE83-3EBF-48FC-9054-2C653DED990E (resized).jpeg5551BE83-3EBF-48FC-9054-2C653DED990E (resized).jpegA4B011F0-5403-4A1E-A4DE-8DBF61BF8905 (resized).jpegA4B011F0-5403-4A1E-A4DE-8DBF61BF8905 (resized).jpegDF7230F0-8A42-480C-8A46-6A92D96D3B93 (resized).jpegDF7230F0-8A42-480C-8A46-6A92D96D3B93 (resized).jpegFA636894-5974-40CE-9BAD-F641DD90EC53 (resized).jpegFA636894-5974-40CE-9BAD-F641DD90EC53 (resized).jpeg
#964 3 years ago
Quoted from mfdavis1:

Joining the club. Got my first pin last month and just starting to restore it. Field is in great shape but problem with the mother board and displays. Any suggestions on sites for restoring or advise would be greatly appreciated.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

You're here. This is the place. Ask questions and we'll answer.

#965 3 years ago

Having issues where Dunk the Dummy doesn't want to give bonuses and the drop target stays down until I drain a ball. I can manually hit the target to test it and it gives me 10 points but no bonus multiplier will light up. The lights definitely work too. Anyone else run into this issue?

#966 3 years ago

Mine dropped out a couple times. Was just the lights, bonus still worked. Reseated the cable and they work fine. Shoot again light was also effected, so you might want to see if that is working.

#967 3 years ago
Quoted from jaytrem:

Mine dropped out a couple times. Was just the lights, bonus still worked. Reseated the cable and they work fine. Shoot again light was also effected, so you might want to see if that is working.

Reseated which cable? Everything under the playfield is soldered that I can see. All the lights work too as I can test them and see them turn on during attract mode.

#968 3 years ago
Quoted from byurick:

Having issues where Dunk the Dummy doesn't want to give bonuses and the drop target stays down until I drain a ball. I can manually hit the target to test it and it gives me 10 points but no bonus multiplier will light up. The lights definitely work too. Anyone else run into this issue?

Check that the switch at the bottom of the target is working correctly. If that doesn't work, then the dummy target gives no bonus.

#969 3 years ago
Quoted from byurick:

Reseated which cable? Everything under the playfield is soldered that I can see. All the lights work too as I can test them and see them turn on during attract mode.

Sorry for the delay, just got back from Virginia. If they're on during attract mode, reseating the cables probably would not help. Should be either 1J6 and 1J7 on the mpu though.

Most likely yaksplat is correct. Probably something up with the switch. My machine is at my mom's else I'd take a closer look at a few things. Be sure to let us know what you figure out.

#970 3 years ago
Quoted from yaksplat:

Check that the switch at the bottom of the target is working correctly. If that doesn't work, then the dummy target gives no bonus.

Turns out one of the soldered connections on that micro switch was flaky. It tested fine with the playfield up to check with the DMM but once I lowered it to play it would stop making contact. Some fresh solder did the trick. Thanks guys!

#971 3 years ago
Quoted from mfdavis1:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Is the word Comet below your coin door just hand painted on? Mine does not have that and I have never seen that on another machine? Does anyone else in here have this on their machine?

Screenshot_20201014-044832_Samsung Internet (resized).jpgScreenshot_20201014-044832_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
#972 3 years ago
Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Is the word Comet below your coin door just hand painted on? Mine does not have that and I have never seen that on another machine? Does anyone else in here have this on their machine?
[quoted image]

I brought that up a few pages back. Most games don't have Comet below the coin door. A few I have seen do. It is in the sales brochure for the game though.

#973 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinbub:

I brought that up a few pages back. Most games don't have Comet below the coin door. A few I have seen do. It is in the sales brochure for the game though.

Guess I missed your post. I can't believe i've never noticed that before. If anyone who has these on their machine could measure the letters and post the measurements that would be great. My wife has a vinyl machine and could cut the letters if I know how tall and wide they are.

#974 3 years ago

Can anyone tell me what the exact part # is, or full specs that I'm looking for, to replace the relay for the back-box lights? It's mentioned in this thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-comet-no-backbox-lights

...but when I try to look for what EXACTLY I should be looking for to replace it, I can't figure it out...

#975 3 years ago
Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Guess I missed your post. I can't believe i've never noticed that before. If anyone who has these on their machine could measure the letters and post the measurements that would be great. My wife has a vinyl machine and could cut the letters if I know how tall and wide they are.

I have "Comet" below my coin door but no side flames (not sure if painted over?)

#976 3 years ago

I have "Comet" below my coin door but no side flames (not sure if painted over?)

Any chance you could get a rough measurement of heighth and width of the Comet letters. Doesn't have to be 100% accurate just as close as possible. I want to recreate these and add them to my machine. Also hard to tell from the photo are the letters yellow or white or an off white?

#977 3 years ago
Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Any chance you could get a rough measurement of heighth and width of the Comet letters. Doesn't have to be 100% accurate just as close as possible. I want to recreate these and add them to my machine. Also hard to tell from the photo are the letters yellow or white or an off white?

Take a picture straight on with a ruler under the letters. I can generate exact measurements in AutoCAD.

#978 3 years ago
Quoted from yaksplat:

Take a picture straight on with a ruler under the letters. I can generate exact measurements in AutoCAD.

That would be really cool now we just need someone who has those letters on their machine to do that.

#979 3 years ago
Quoted from reconsider59:

Can anyone tell me what the exact part # is, or full specs that I'm looking for, to replace the relay for the back-box lights? It's mentioned in this thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-comet-no-backbox-lights
...but when I try to look for what EXACTLY I should be looking for to replace it, I can't figure it out...

Pretty sure this is what I used.

EHDIS Motor Relay 5 Pin 24V Coil 40amp Spdt Model No.: JD2912-1Z-24VDC 40A 28VDC, Contactor Relay Switch Power, Auto Switches & Starters, 2 Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01J5CLJ0I/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_avHIFb2454M26

#980 3 years ago
Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

That would be really cool now we just need someone who has those letters on their machine to do that.

I’ll get it done. Just need to remember to take a tape measure to my storage unit

Mine is missing the flames on the side of the coin door. Maybe painted over?

#981 3 years ago

I found the perfect match for the yellow paint on Comet cabinets but it's in storage. If I get there soon I'll try to add more info. It was spot on and was off the shelf. Not a special mixture.

#982 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinbub:

I found the perfect match for the yellow paint on Comet cabinets but it's in storage. If I get there soon I'll try to add more info. It was spot on and was off the shelf. Not a special mixture.

Very nice. Always good info to have. Thx!

#983 3 years ago
Quoted from Jason43:

[quoted image]

I *BLATANTLY* stole this idea, and I love it.
pasted_image1 (resized).pngpasted_image1 (resized).png
lights on:
pasted_image2 (resized).pngpasted_image2 (resized).png

realllllly makes the lights pop
pasted_image3 (resized).pngpasted_image3 (resized).png

I feel like I need side mirror blades now too
pasted_image4 (resized).pngpasted_image4 (resized).png

#984 3 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

I *BLATANTLY* stole this idea, and I love it.
[quoted image]
lights on:
[quoted image]
realllllly makes the lights pop
[quoted image]
I feel like I need side mirror blades now too
[quoted image]

Looks great for sure what did you end up using for the mirror?

#985 3 years ago
Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Looks great for sure what did you end up using for the mirror?

Polished piece of steel.

So, question for everyone.

Is your plastic in your machine closer to my old broken one, or this replacement one from Pinball Haus?

CometPlastics (resized).jpgCometPlastics (resized).jpg

#986 3 years ago

My original was like your broken piece. I've since replaced with what you have pictured. The difference doesn't bother me, since it looks better than a broken plastic.

#987 3 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

Polished piece of steel.
So, question for everyone.
Is your plastic in your machine closer to my old broken one, or this replacement one from Pinball Haus?
[quoted image]

Mine came with one like the bottom plastic.

#988 3 years ago
Quoted from Jason43:

My original was like your broken piece. I've since replaced with what you have pictured. The difference doesn't bother me, since it looks better than a broken plastic.

I put it in my machine, I was more curious than anything. The font and bad dithering don't bother me, but if I'm being honest the white bar and greens being so off do. Luckily there are no other plastics near it so the difference is harder to notice if you dont already know about it.

#989 3 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

I put it in my machine, I was more curious than anything. The font and bad dithering don't bother me, but if I'm being honest the white bar and greens being so off do. Luckily there are no other plastics near it so the difference is harder to notice if you dont already know about it.

The one I have is actually cracked I need to find a replacement piece. I wish the reproduced ones were like the original that you have posted there I like that one much better.

#990 3 years ago

The CPR ones are closer to the originals...

16038478702891878038539 (resized).jpg16038478702891878038539 (resized).jpg
#991 3 years ago
Quoted from jaytrem:

[quoted image]

Missing a front post hole, unless it floats over the top.

#992 3 years ago
Quoted from jaytrem:

[quoted image]

Quoted from yaksplat:

Missing a front post hole, unless it floats over the top.

So we need the cut out of Haus's and the colors of CPRs (with the background green a little darker)

#993 3 years ago
Quoted from pinheadpierre:

Pretty sure this is what I used.
EHDIS Motor Relay 5 Pin 24V Coil 40amp Spdt Model No.: JD2912-1Z-24VDC 40A 28VDC, Contactor Relay Switch Power, Auto Switches & Starters, 2 Pack amazon.com link »

...seems right! Thanks so much!

#994 3 years ago

I just purchased a Comet pin and had only a few minutes to check it out. It’s from an Estate sale I didn’t see how to remove the head or backbox on this pin. They don’t have any paperwork. I couldn’t see where I could unbolt this to move it. This is my second Solid state and before I go to pick this up, I need to know what to do. Can anyone provide some pictures and how to do this? Much appreciated. Don

#995 3 years ago

Depending on when it was made... some come off and some fold down... 4 bolts in the back box either way...

#996 3 years ago

Remove back glass
swing lightboard out of the way
remove two large bolts on the bottom of the head
tilt head down.

At this point you can remove the hinge (2 bolts in the head, 3 in the cabinet) if you like.

#997 3 years ago

Where's it at? I'm pretty busy these days, but if it's super close to me, I can maybe give you a hand. I also have a bunch of pics on another computer. Can post or PM is needed.

#998 3 years ago

@yaksplat, this is what I needed. I was looking on the outside of the backbox. Now I understand.

#999 3 years ago

jaytrem Thanks for the offer, much appreciated. If I need anything I'll PM you.

#1000 3 years ago
Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

0870E40D-EDDF-4121-BDA0-ACCAFB72AD0F (resized).jpeg0870E40D-EDDF-4121-BDA0-ACCAFB72AD0F (resized).jpeg1E8E62D7-B4B2-4251-A428-335934F7F560 (resized).jpeg1E8E62D7-B4B2-4251-A428-335934F7F560 (resized).jpegB6E5198A-59C3-4D22-A50E-A3906C09338D (resized).jpegB6E5198A-59C3-4D22-A50E-A3906C09338D (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Columbus, OH
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,751 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 36.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/comet-any-fans-out-there/page/20?hl=lathroum and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.