IMG_8160 (resized).jpg
IMG_8159 (resized).jpg
IMG_8158 (resized).jpg
IMG_8157 (resized).jpg
IMG_8156 (resized).jpg
IMG_8155 (resized).jpg
IMG_8154 (resized).jpg
IMG_8153 (resized).jpg

There are 1,751 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 36.
#701 4 years ago

I'm still on the hunt with no luck as of yet so if anyone has an extra one of these plastics right at the exit of the cycle jump ramp please hit me up as mine is missing.

Screenshot_20190514-081747_Samsung Internet (resized).jpgScreenshot_20190514-081747_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
1 week later
#702 4 years ago

Since it appears nobody has a spare plastic from the pic above at the cycle jump ramp would it be possible for some kind soul to take theirs off and scan it for me please? If someone could do this just shoot me a pm and I will provide an email address to send the scan to. Thank you

#703 4 years ago
Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Since it appears nobody has a spare plastic from the pic above at the cycle jump ramp would it be possible for some kind soul to take theirs off and scan it for me please? If someone could do this just shoot me a pm and I will provide an email address to send the scan to. Thank you

I need one too!

#704 4 years ago
Quoted from Lathroum:

I need one too!

Well hopefully someone will scan one in for the both of us. At least that way we could fabricate a decent replacement

#705 4 years ago

I should have my comet back this weekend, if no one scans it I'll try but no promises.

#706 4 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

I should have my comet back this weekend, if no one scans it I'll try but no promises.

Would be most appreciated. Thx for the offer.

#707 4 years ago

I'll take a look at mine tonight too - if that plastic is there and in good shape, I can do a quick scan and eMail it to whoever needs it...

Dave

#708 4 years ago

I've got to pull the ramp out of mine sometime this week to adjust some finicky pop bumper bulbs. If no one gets to it, I'll scan mine

#709 4 years ago
Quoted from dmieczko:

I'll take a look at mine tonight too - if that plastic is there and in good shape, I can do a quick scan and eMail it to whoever needs it...
Dave

Thanks Dave!

Quoted from Jason43:

I've got to pull the ramp out of mine sometime this week to adjust some finicky pop bumper bulbs. If no one gets to it, I'll scan mine

Thank you as well never hurts to have multiple pics.

#710 4 years ago

Hey all just joined the Comet club today. Picked one up locally in decent condition for a pretty good price, looking forward to cleaning it up and making it mint. As expected tho the corkscrew and cycle jump ramps are both broken, I seen in previous post that a member was reproducing them, any idea if he still makes them? I would love to replace my busted ones when I do a good playfield clean and replace the old rubbers.

#711 4 years ago
Quoted from Clizifer:

Hey all just joined the Comet club today. Picked one up locally in decent condition for a pretty good price, looking forward to cleaning it up and making it mint. As expected tho the corkscrew and cycle jump ramps are both broken, I seen in previous post that a member was reproducing them, any idea if he still makes them? I would love to replace my busted ones when I do a good playfield clean and replace the old rubbers.

Yes I still make them.

#712 4 years ago

Awesome! I'll PM. Thanks

#713 4 years ago
Quoted from Clizifer:

Awesome! I'll PM. Thanks

I have a set, they are incredible.

#714 4 years ago
Quoted from Clizifer:

Welcome to the club! How's the playfield? Hardtops are great if it needs one.

#715 4 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

I have a set, they are incredible.

I second that statement.

Quoted from Clizifer:

Mark's (@Freeplay40) work is 2nd to none you will be very pleased with a new set of his ramps.

#716 4 years ago

Marks ramps are incredible. I had replaced my corkscrew and cycle jump ramps both in black but once I saw his I had to have them. I'm working on my Comet right now so it's taken apart but I can't wait to put it back together and drop in the new ramps. As an added bonus he's great to deal with and the ramps arrived very quickly. Thanks again Mark, you rock!

#717 4 years ago

Awesome! I'm excited to get some new pieces from him for my comet. I've been playing all weekend and it's been a lot of fun, today tho it has decided to stop kicking the ball out. Looks like the fuse for the solenoids has blown, upon further inspection it also looks like the lower of the three pop bumpers solenoid is seized up. I cannot move the plunger in it at all and the parts of the rest of it are broken. I'm going to try removing that solenoid from the circuit and replace the fuse and see what happens.

#718 4 years ago

Any update on anyone being able to get a scan of my missing plastic?

#719 4 years ago

I got a scan sent today to PinDeLaPin. If anybody else needs one I can email to you.

ek.pdfek.pdf
#720 4 years ago

Can anyone help me figure out why the star rollover switch at the top of the playfield before the corkscrew ramp wouldn't be registering?

#721 4 years ago
Quoted from reconsider59:

Can anyone help me figure out why the star rollover switch at the top of the playfield before the corkscrew ramp wouldn't be registering?

Have you examined the connections to make sure that you don't have a wire that has come loose or a cracked solder joint?

#722 4 years ago

clean your switches......all of them. You and Comet will be happier!

#723 4 years ago

Anybody know where I can get a backglass? Mine had some minor paint loss on the bottom, and someone tried to cover it with packing tape, which lifted an entire section at the bottom and it looks terrible on an otherwise gorgeous game.

#724 4 years ago
Quoted from drsfmd:

Anybody know where I can get a backglass? Mine had some minor paint loss on the bottom, and someone tried to cover it with packing tape, which lifted an entire section at the bottom and it looks terrible on an otherwise gorgeous game.

There was a guy selling reproductions on ebay I saw a while back not sure they are still there but check it out.

#725 4 years ago
Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

There was a guy selling reproductions on ebay I saw a while back not sure they are still there but check it out.

Translites are on ebay now. Don't see any backglass repros. Mine isn't bad, but would love to pick one up if they are out there. Hoping for a mirrored CPR one of these days.

#726 4 years ago

Is there a market for million shot plastics with bulb holders, resistor and wiring harness? I've never seen anyone looking for one and I think I have a spare or two.

1 week later
#727 4 years ago

Anybody needs a Dunk the dummy plastic let me know.

IMG_20191014_171437 (resized).jpgIMG_20191014_171437 (resized).jpg
#728 4 years ago

me!

Mines way more broken that that one

#729 4 years ago

I was wondering how many of you have "COMET" below the door on the front of your machines? It's on the flyer for Comet but until I saw it on the one offered by markpin2013 right now in Blaine Texas I'd only ever seen it on the flyer. I've never seen it on the pins at shows I've attended or on other machines listed for sale.

#730 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinbub:

I was wondering how many of you have "COMET" below the door on the front of your machines? It's on the flyer for Comet but until I saw it on the one offered by Markpin2013 right now in Blaine Texas I'd only ever seen it on the flyer. I've never seen it on the pins at shows I've attended or on other machines listed for sale.

Mine does not have "COMET" below the door. I think that's pretty rare.

#731 4 years ago

I figured it was/is rare. I've had mine for 23 years so I've been watching Comets for quite a while in person and online and I only recall seeing one other in all that time.

#732 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinbub:

clean your switches......all of them. You and Comet will be happier!

Thanks for this—it encouraged me to try to clean it again, and lo and behold, this time it actually worked!

...but it created a NEW problem. As I was testing it, each time it would connect I'd get a little blip of sound; but then, at one point, it stopped making sound. And now, the game won't make ANY sound.

Anyone know why this would happen? I tried the sound test from the CPU, and no luck.

Additionally, there's been a ton of hum from the speakers lately; and the right flipper, when held on, will make a big, loud hum. Ideas on how to fix this?

#733 4 years ago
Quoted from reconsider59:

Thanks for this—it encouraged me to try to clean it again, and lo and behold, this time it actually worked!
...but it created a NEW problem. As I was testing it, each time it would connect I'd get a little blip of sound; but then, at one point, it stopped making sound. And now, the game won't make ANY sound.
Anyone know why this would happen? I tried the sound test from the CPU, and no luck.
Additionally, there's been a ton of hum from the speakers lately; and the right flipper, when held on, will make a big, loud hum. Ideas on how to fix this?

An update: the sound is back!

But the hum remains (I've noticed it's in time with the attract lighting), there's a LOUD hum on the right flipper when it's engaged, *and now* the 5 amp s.b. fuse for the flippers has blown—second time since this whole issue started.

It seems there's an issue with the power, or the grounding. I'm not sure how to diagnose the source, though. Any thoughts welcomed...

2 weeks later
#734 4 years ago

Hey jaytrem , how does your Comet Hardtop play? I have one to install and I'm nearly ready to attempt it but I'm curios about how it plays. Did you wax your play-field? I see on the Hardtop site that they don't wax their machines, so I guess I'm asking does the wax slow the ball a bit, if you did wax? Does anyone else have any Hardtop/Comet EXP?

#735 4 years ago
Quoted from johndheretic:

Hey jaytrem , how does your Comet Hardtop play? I have one to install and I'm nearly ready to attempt it but I'm curios about how it plays. Did you wax your play-field? I see on the Hardtop site that they don't wax their machines, so I guess I'm asking does the wax slow the ball a bit, if you did wax? Does anyone else have any Hardtop/Comet EXP?

The best way I could describe it is that the game plays like there's a sheet of glass on the playfield. It's smooth and fast and plays great. I've waxed mine but can't tell thar it makes a difference.

#736 4 years ago
Quoted from Jason43:

The best way I could describe it is that the game plays like there's a sheet of glass on the playfield. It's smooth and fast and plays great. I've waxed mine but can't tell thar it makes a difference.

Did you move your posts to the "Liberal" position?

#737 4 years ago
Quoted from Jason43:

Yup, what he said. Super smooth with no mylar or inserts to deal with. I have not waxed mine yet, but am considering it to see if it feels any different. Seems like everyone whi has installed a Hardtop is veey pleased with both the look and the feel.

#738 4 years ago

I waxed mine since day 1 mainly because it went straight to a weekend show after I finished it so I don't know if there was a difference but I'm very happy with the way it plays. Smooth, quite and fast I Love It.

I've been using this S100 wax it's a Carnauba Wax with a mix of bees wax and does not leave any residue which is what you don't want mainly in the shooter area creeping it's way around. Very easy to apply and clean up.

20190815_202949 (resized).jpg20190815_202949 (resized).jpg
#739 4 years ago

Comet all set up at the Nashville Grand Ole Gameroom Expo

20191108_225012 (resized).jpg20191108_225012 (resized).jpg
#740 4 years ago

Any of you close to louisville this guy has a nice backglass listed for sale. louisville.craigslist.org link

#741 4 years ago
Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Any of you close to louisville this guy has a nice backglass listed for sale. louisville.craigslist.org link

Thanks, I could use a nicer one. Will check with a Louisville friend to see if he can pick it up.

#742 4 years ago
Quoted from jaytrem:

Thanks, I could use a nicer one. Will check with a Louisville friend to see if he can pick it up.

Cool hopefully it works out. Would really like to.see somebody who really needs 1 get it.

#743 4 years ago
Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

I wish I was closer! Damn. Mine is flaking bad, could really use a better one.

#744 4 years ago
Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Cool hopefully it works out. Would really like to.see somebody who really needs 1 get it.

Looking pretty good! Luckily one of my best friends travels to KY a lot to visit his in-laws. He's going to get one of them to pick it up and he'll bring it back to NJ around Christmas. The seller seems like a real nice guy too. Thanks again for posting it!

#745 4 years ago
Quoted from jaytrem:

Looking pretty good! Luckily one of my best friends travels to KY a lot to visit his in-laws. He's going to get one of them to pick it up and he'll bring it back to NJ around Christmas. The seller seems like a real nice guy too. Thanks again for posting it!

Way cool! Super glad your going to get it.

#746 4 years ago
Quoted from BertoDRINK1:

Comet all set up at the Nashville Grand Ole Gameroom Expo[quoted image]

Beuatiful cabinet on that! Restored or original?

#747 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinbub:

Beuatiful cabinet on that! Restored or original?

it was restored, used Pinballpimps stencils and Ironlak spray paint.

#748 4 years ago

Just want to throw this out there. I have 3 playfields; one extremely nice and two that are not, at all. I'm restoring two machines and trying to figure out what would be the best combination.

Option 1:
Hard top and install two playfields and sell off the nice playfield

Option 2:
One Hardtop machine and one original, sell off the one extra bad playfield

option 3:
Hard top the two bad playfields and sell one off and have one Hardtop machine and one original

Is there any interest in buying a playfield with a hard top already installed? Is there any value in doing that? I figure that the only way someone might want the bad playfield is to hard top it, but some may not want to go through doing that on their own.

Just thinking out loud here and trying to save on shipping costs.

1 week later
#749 4 years ago

Just joined the club and bought my first pin. It's in ok condition the playfield has little wear but quite some planking/ball swirl as was to be expected.
Ramps are all in pretty good condition, and so is the corkscrew, the cycle jump has a crack but no missing pieces so I will see if I can glue it and 3d-print a support for it. Didn't know anything about this machine until I bought it. It came on my path and I picked it up. Seeing the pictures of other machines now, I guess I found a pretty good one. Most of the plastics have some damage so I'm hoping I can make these myself. 1 score display is out, and the credit/ball display is out. So maybe I can make a new set of displays, cause buying them for $200 and then also have to pay taxes and import fees here will be a bit to steep. The machine was working but all display were out, and the credit button and start button weren't working when I got it. The displays were fixed by replacing the resistors for the 100V and -100V (but like I said, two were gassed out) and the buttons were fixed by replacing one of the transistors. Also the GI in the backbone was out quite often, but cleaning the solenoid in the backbox seems to have fixed this. Ordered a flipper rebuild kit, rubbers and some extra parts and will do a complete playfield clean soon, as this thing is dirty!
I also found a mistake, and I think I have seen pictures on this forum of machines with the same mistake. I added pictures to show. The flashers for the eyes in the backbox have been wired incorrect I think, the lights flashing are one eye and the 'nose' of the comet Can anyone make a picture of the wiring so I can see how it is supposed to be?

Malenko posted scans of the playfield plastics about a year ago, unfortunately the link is not working anymore.
Does anyone have these scans and can they upload them again somewhere for me?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/comet-any-fans-out-there/page/6#post-4151489

IMG_1627 (resized).jpegIMG_1627 (resized).jpegIMG_1655 (resized).jpegIMG_1655 (resized).jpegIMG_1656 (resized).jpegIMG_1656 (resized).jpegIMG_1685 (resized).jpegIMG_1685 (resized).jpegIMG_1683 (resized).jpegIMG_1683 (resized).jpegIMG_1682 (resized).jpegIMG_1682 (resized).jpegIMG_1674 (resized).jpegIMG_1674 (resized).jpeg
#750 4 years ago

I have some 7 digit displays available in the market.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Machine - For Sale
Columbus, OH
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
New Cumberland, PA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
There are 1,751 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 36.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/comet-any-fans-out-there/page/15?hl=hawkeyexx and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.