IMG_8160 (resized).jpg
IMG_8159 (resized).jpg
IMG_8158 (resized).jpg
IMG_8157 (resized).jpg
IMG_8156 (resized).jpg
IMG_8155 (resized).jpg
IMG_8154 (resized).jpg
IMG_8153 (resized).jpg

There are 1,751 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 36.
#651 4 years ago
Quoted from BertoDRINK1:

Finally finished my Comet Restore, turned it on for the first time in 3 years on Wednesday. Thursday morning finished getting all switches adjusted and a little extra lighting installed (another set of post LED's And a strip in the apron) then preceded to wrap it up and take it straight to the Atlanta Southern Fried Gaming Expo SFGE.
It Won Best in Show Restoration award also.
Glad people enjoyed it. Very positive on the Hardtop install also. At the show I picked up an orginal Signed flyer by the late Great Python Angelo and Barry Oursler also to go along with the pin very happy with that.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Your comet might actually be brighter than mine!

2 weeks later
#652 4 years ago

Has anyone made any custom cards for their Comet machine? The stock ones completely suck and I just haven't found any others that I like.

#653 4 years ago
Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Has anyone made any custom cards for their Comet machine? The stock ones completely suck and I just haven't found any others that I like.

See Mr_Tantrum, he made mine. Very good quality.

#654 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Can u post a pic of yours?

#655 4 years ago
Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Can u post a pic of yours?

BertoDrink1 posted a pic of them towards the bottom of the previous page. Looking to pick some up myself, just haven't gotten around to it.

#656 4 years ago
Quoted from BertoDRINK1:

I went with Orange. Seems a little Peach in the pic but it's a nice orange matches great.[quoted image]

Restore looks beautiful. Glad I could contribute a little with the cards.

#657 4 years ago
Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

FYI, I now charge $10 per set of cards (includes US postage). You can mix and match however you like.

Here is where I previously posted: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/comet-any-fans-out-there/page/12#post-4815665

I also have an orange version as shown here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/comet-any-fans-out-there/page/13#post-5095787

#658 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

The good thing about these cards is they don't warp over time. I have some other color cards on my Shadow, and they are starting to warp. The quality is excellent.

#659 4 years ago

On Dale Earnhardt Jr’s Show...

95105992-2761-4054-A451-4B2594E7C2F5 (resized).jpeg95105992-2761-4054-A451-4B2594E7C2F5 (resized).jpeg
#660 4 years ago

Nice catch!

#661 4 years ago

He has had it for a while. They moved it recently. It was in a different location few months ago. Dale jr and his sister Kelly watched their father Dale sr play a comet for hours at his home on the lake. They are very attached to things their father loved and enjoyed.

2 weeks later
#662 4 years ago

Well we joined the club yesterday!

There was an ad on Craigslist 4 hours away for a Comet for $150. My wife Chrissi jumped on it, and sent the seller a few messages saying that we were interested. The poor guy got inundated with calls and texts, and asked Chrissi if he was selling it too low.... thus all the calls. A back and forth went on for a while, and the seller agreed to sell it to us at a price where we'd both be happy.

2 days later I drove the 4 hours to pick it up at the seller's house. Apparently he'd been given this from another family member a year ago, and didn't know much of this machine's history. A short time after he got it one of the flippers broke, along with the drop target so he set it in the garage, and forgot about it.

So I got home late last night with it, and did a quick triage on it to see what it needed, and ordered some parts.

It's a complete machine that's actually in pretty good shape. The cabinet is nice, but has a few bumps and scrapes.
co11 (resized).jpgco11 (resized).jpg
co12 (resized).jpgco12 (resized).jpg

Inside all of the boards look clean, as does the wiring.
co15 (resized).jpgco15 (resized).jpg
co17 (resized).jpgco17 (resized).jpg
co18 (resized).jpgco18 (resized).jpg
co19 (resized).jpgco19 (resized).jpg

The backglass looks awesome!
co20 (resized).jpgco20 (resized).jpg
co21 (resized).jpgco21 (resized).jpg
co22 (resized).jpgco22 (resized).jpg

Here's why the flipper didn't work.
co23 (resized).jpgco23 (resized).jpg

And why the drop target didn't reset..
co24 (resized).jpgco24 (resized).jpg

The rest of the underside of the playfield looks nice!
co27 (resized).jpgco27 (resized).jpg

As does inside the cabinet..
co37 (resized).jpgco37 (resized).jpg

It had a free play button installed some time in it's past.
co33 (resized).jpgco33 (resized).jpg

It was removed, and set on free play. (Ya think they could've used a bigger F'in button???)
co34 (resized).jpgco34 (resized).jpg

The playfield is a little rough. Planking and ballswirls galore!
co5 (resized).jpgco5 (resized).jpg
co6 (resized).jpgco6 (resized).jpg

I was able to remove some of it, but started removing artwork so I stopped. A little buffing with some compound, and I was able to get a shine on it.
co39 (resized).jpgco39 (resized).jpg

So.... I think I'm just going to make this a player's machine. Just shop it out, and make it play great. In the future we're thinking about getting a hardtop for it, and some new ramps, but for now we're just going to enjoy it.

When the parts get here in a few days I'll update the progress here.

When this is done it'll look great next to our Cyclone!

-Paul

#663 4 years ago

Thanks for posting the pics. Glad you got it! Looks like I was right about the backglass, it does look super nice.

#664 4 years ago

That corkscrew ramp looks like its in pretty good shape. I had to replace mine along with the skeeball/motorcycle ramp , they were both broke. Freeplay40 's replacement ramps are awesome.

#665 4 years ago
Quoted from jaytrem:

Thanks for posting the pics. Glad you got it! Looks like I was right about the backglass, it does look super nice.

It does. Thanks to you we really lucked out on this one.

Quoted from Malenko:

That corkscrew ramp looks like its in pretty good shape. I had to replace mine along with the skeeball/motorcycle ramp , they were both broke. freeplay40 's replacement ramps are awesome.

It has some mylar that someone put on it some time ago. It's probably what kept it together for so long. When my parts get here, and I actually start working on it I'll take out the ramp, buff it out, and see about strengthening it up a bit.

-Paul

#666 4 years ago

While I was waiting on parts I figured I'd do a few things with what I had on hand.

First I added fuses to the bridge rectifiers. (Of course I ran out of blue wire...)
IMG_20190823_133022503 (resized).jpgIMG_20190823_133022503 (resized).jpg
I'm going to make up a label that looks factory for the new fuses.

Then I had a bunch of comet 2smd warm whites left over from other projects so I figured I'd replace all of the GI's, and clean up a few things. While I had the ramps out I strengthened them up a bit until we decide on whether we get new ones or not.
IMG_20190823_154813_01 (resized).jpgIMG_20190823_154813_01 (resized).jpg

Then I added a few behind the backglass.
IMG_20190823_161059_01 (resized).jpgIMG_20190823_161059_01 (resized).jpg

Big improvement!

In a few days my parts should be here to get the game playing 100%, and then I'll order LED's for the controlled lamps.
After that I'll tackle the cabinet, add new legs, and call it done.

-Paul

#667 4 years ago

Just a quick update today..

Took out the MPU and added a battery board (Thanks Todd & Frank!).
IMG_20190828_111459830 (resized).jpgIMG_20190828_111459830 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190828_112105075 (resized).jpgIMG_20190828_112105075 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190828_114232652 (resized).jpgIMG_20190828_114232652 (resized).jpg

Also reflowed all the solder on all the connections. It didn't really need it, but since it was out I did it.
IMG_20190828_113957655 (resized).jpgIMG_20190828_113957655 (resized).jpg

Then I slipped in a new sheet of glass, and it's looking great. Just waiting for an order from Comet Pinball for the LED's for all the inserts.
IMG_20190828_123646136 (resized).jpgIMG_20190828_123646136 (resized).jpg

More to come

-Paul

#668 4 years ago

I've had my comet for 23 years. I was wondering if any of you that have original promo flags would consider re-popping them? I looked today online and it doesn't seem cost-prohibitive. I assume they are printed on a felt flag but I'm not sure. Can somebody chime in as to whether the originals were felt and if someone might offer up a scan to make it happen? I'd be in for one.

#669 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinbub:

I've had my comet for 23 years. I was wondering if any of you that have original promo flags would consider re-popping them? I looked today online and it doesn't seem cost-prohibitive. I assume they are printed on a felt flag but I'm not sure. Can somebody chime in as to whether the originals were felt and if someone might offer up a scan to make it happen? I'd be in for one.

Promo flags? Never seen one, got pics?

#671 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinbub:

They are printed on heavy cardstock type material. The flag pole is a plastic rod. I have one but it's too large for me to scan.

#672 4 years ago

If anybody is willing to repop them I'm sure there'd be a market. I was looking for a finished product, not just a scan so I could do it myself, (although I'm not opposed to that). That way the pinside member could make a few bucks for their trouble. In the past, I've taken pieces like that to a place like Kinkos and had them do the scanning and the printing. They had the means to do it and the prices were very reasonable. Just food for thought. If anybody is willing maybe we could get a headcount of interested people and go from there.

#673 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinbub:

If anybody is willing to repop them I'm sure there'd be a market. I was looking for a finished product, not just a scan so I could do it myself, (although I'm not opposed to that). That way the pinside member could make a few bucks for their trouble. In the past, I've taken pieces like that to a place like Kinkos and had them do the scanning and the printing. They had the means to do it and the prices were very reasonable. Just food for thought. If anybody is willing maybe we could get a headcount of interested people and go from there.

If there's enough interest I would be willing to look into what it would take to get some made. I'm guessing there's a copyright issue embedded here.

#674 4 years ago
Quoted from pinheadpierre:

If there's enough interest I would be willing to look into what it would take to get some made. I'm guessing there's a copyright issue embedded here.

Maybe, but with Williams be defunct I doubt there would be an issue, especially if a small run was made for people who were interested.

I'll go first, I'd take one. Who else is in?

#675 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinbub:

Maybe, but with Williams be defunct I doubt there would be an issue

My understanding is that the license is alive and well and often vigorously defended.

#676 4 years ago

I think a small run of comet toppers sold on a pinball forum is probably safe from the wrath of the Williams licence holder. I'd take one of they're made

#677 4 years ago

Id get one too.

#678 4 years ago

I'd take one. Never knew about them before

#680 4 years ago
Quoted from BertoDRINK1:

I'd take one. Never knew about them before

Your machine is already too nice. No flag for you!

I however could use a flag. Thanks.

#681 4 years ago

Rick from PPS will be your best friend if you try.

#682 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I actually wouldn't mind paying a royalty but it might make the project too expensive. Plus, I have no idea how that stuff works. It's possible that there's some weird legal reason that they can't let someone like myself do a small project for a small per unit fee.

#683 4 years ago

I don't think it's going to be a problem. It might be if you fired up "Cometpinflags.com" and started selling them en mass but a limited run for a few fellow enthusiasts shouldn't throw any "red flags". See what I did there?! We've done a lot of similar projects on the Porsche forums and it's never been an issue and Porsche seems pretty rabid about such things.

#684 4 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

So where is the best place to get replacement pop bumpers for my Comet? I'd like to replace the existing solid red ones with translucent yellow,blue, and green ones (to match the bumper car colors). I'd like to get the bodies, caps and solenoids at a "one stop shop"

You should do them like this

MVIMG_20190814_225917 (resized).jpgMVIMG_20190814_225917 (resized).jpg
#685 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

That clown has prevented tons of parts from being made that people need to restore machines! Specifically for me was the pinbot vortex ramp. Why couldn't they make a red vortex when they are actively selling jackbot black vortex ramps. So many people needed those and he kept claiming they were in the works. Finally found somebody making custom one offs on the dl! If I waited for PPS I'd be in the grave before anything was made!

#686 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinbub:

I don't think it's going to be a problem. It might be if you fired up "Cometpinflags.com" and started selling them en mass but a limited run for a few fellow enthusiasts shouldn't throw any "red flags". See what I did there?! We've done a lot of similar projects on the Porsche forums and it's never been an issue and Porsche seems pretty rabid about such things.

If anybody in Michigan has a flag let me know. I got a great scanner for scanning playfields and parts.

#687 4 years ago
Quoted from waynestatemac:

If anybody in Michigan has a flag let me know. Or can send it to me to scan and I can send back. I got a great scanner for scanning playfields and parts.

#688 4 years ago

Hi everyone,
I am looking at replacing the displays in my comet with Xpin XP-WM58363, do you all think that I should leave the displays as Orange or change to a different colour.

cheers
Trevor

#689 4 years ago

Keep me posted if you do a small run on these. I would be interested as well.

#690 4 years ago
Quoted from MANTO1975:

Hi everyone,
I am looking at replacing the displays in my comet with Xpin XP-WM58363, do you all think that I should leave the displays as Orange or change to a different colour.
cheers
Trevor

I like the original orange, but color is really personal. Any color you like is best! What I do want to say is that I went with x-pin for my Comet after trying pinscore only to discover that pinscore did not display commas on system 9 games. Maybe they've fixed that by now. I don't know. X-pin looks great/original and is a better product than the competition imho.

#691 4 years ago

Going through my parts stock and clearing out stuff that I don't need. I've got a sound/speech board from my comet (that I think is compatible with other system 9 games). Works fine. Removed when I replaced my mpu with an all-in-one board. I think this original board makes higher quality sound than the new boards. PM me an offer if you're interested.

I've also got a display driver board and an assortment of plasma displays in varying condition that I'll be posting in the marketplace later today.

20190901_103036 (resized).jpg20190901_103036 (resized).jpg20190901_103050 (resized).jpg20190901_103050 (resized).jpg
#692 4 years ago

I like the original orange, but color is really personal. Any color you like is best! What I do want to say is that I went with x-pin for my Comet after trying pinscore only to discover that pinscore did not display commas on system 9 games. Maybe they've fixed that by now. I don't know. X-pin looks great/original and is a better product than the competition imho.

great, thanks very much for your info, I was 90% sure that it would be orange but you have just made it 100%.
cheers

#693 4 years ago

If anybody can comment I need your advice. Did Pinscore LED's ever work out the comma issue? Back story is I ordered a set of pinscore LED displays for my Comet,(system 9), on Saturday from Marco. Then I did more research and read about the possible "comma issue" with the Pinscore LEDs. My research also found that most people said order Xpin as they support the original developer,(Brett?). I understand supporting the original developer but I've also read that they are basically the same product. I wouldn't mind supporting Xpin but I needed other parts from Marco so I went that route. Can anybody tell me if the Pinscore displays have the comma issue straightened out? If someone has an opinion more sooner than later I would appreciate it. Need to know if I need to call first thing in the morning and cancel the pinscore product.

#694 4 years ago

The commas work on mine. Machine is at my mom's, so cant give lots of immediate details. But I think we discussed this earlier in the thread. I do have 1 display a bit funky. Might just need a new cable though.

#695 4 years ago

I'm really liking the Wolfpack display kits they sell through eBay and on there website. Commas do work if your wondering. Took me a few hours to assemble but for the cost savings is was way worth it and looks great! This is the pinbot I did, commas don't show in this display test photo but they are working. Also installed this kit on a gorgar too. Ordering a System 9 kit from them soon.
MVIMG_20190828_233615 (resized).jpgMVIMG_20190828_233615 (resized).jpg

#696 4 years ago

Now I remember what's crazy with mine. Quoting myself...

"I have something similar going on. The commas show up with the score on the opposite side. Like player 1's comma shows up on player 3's I think. The Pinscore displays were installed prior to me purchasing the machine using old ribbon cables. Have been meaning to get new ones to see if it would fix. I did move them around with no luck. Doesn't bother me much, so just one of those things that I'll get to eventually."

#697 4 years ago
Quoted from waynestatemac:

I'm really liking the Wolfpack display kits they sell through eBay and on there website. Commas do work if your wondering. Took me a few hours to assemble but for the cost savings is was way worth it and looks great! This is the pinbot I did, commas don't show in this display test photo but they are working. Also installed this kit on a gorgar too. Ordering a System 9 kit from them soon.
[quoted image]

I hadn’t heard of this yet, thanks for mentioning it. For others interested here is their site...

https://www.wolffpactech.com/all-display-kits

#698 4 years ago

Other than the commas not working, there were some additional differences in terms of what's included in the box for cables and extra stuff. I seem to remember that Xpin provides more cables (to be compatible with different harness situations right out of the box). I liked the gaskets Xpin included better. Xpin also includes optional adhesive lighting gels to slightly diffuse the displays, making their appearance nearly indistinguishable from the original plasmas.

#699 4 years ago

If that flag idea goes anywhere sign me up for one as well.

#700 4 years ago

I am selling a working comet for 1000. Pm me for pics/info.

Message_1567708775204 (resized).jpgMessage_1567708775204 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Columbus, OH
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
New Cumberland, PA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
There are 1,751 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 36.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/comet-any-fans-out-there/page/14?hl=jason43 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.