IMG_8160 (resized).jpg
IMG_8159 (resized).jpg
IMG_8158 (resized).jpg
IMG_8157 (resized).jpg
IMG_8156 (resized).jpg
IMG_8155 (resized).jpg
IMG_8154 (resized).jpg
IMG_8153 (resized).jpg

There are 1,751 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 36.
#551 5 years ago

Quick question and sorry if it sounds stupid but Comet was one of my all time favorite pins growing up and finally purchased one this past Friday, my question: is their a way to be able to put in your initials for high score? Right now the machine only shows high scores but does not allow you to put in your initials.

Thanks

#552 5 years ago
Quoted from Nyraiderfan:

Quick question and sorry if it sounds stupid but Comet was one of my all time favorite pins growing up and finally purchased one this past Friday, my question: is their a way to be able to put in your initials for high score? Right now the machine only shows high scores but does not allow you to put in your initials.
Thanks

Nope, just the four high scores.

#553 5 years ago
Quoted from Nyraiderfan:

Quick question and sorry if it sounds stupid but Comet was one of my all time favorite pins growing up and finally purchased one this Friday

Congrats, welcome to the club!

#554 5 years ago

Thank you, can't believe I can't put in the initials, my sons are 25 and 22 years old and really never experienced a "pinball" arcade, I picked up high speed the week before and not only do they love pinball but the fact of chasing a high score, they are a little disappointed in not being able to put in their initials with comet.

#555 5 years ago

Pins are procreating quickly there, eh? 5 by New Years!

I think somebody makes a high score display system. Independent from the machines. Dry erase board would be a lot cheaper though.

#556 5 years ago
Quoted from Nyraiderfan:

Thank you, can't believe I can't put in the initials, my sons are 25 and 22 years old and really never experienced a "pinball" arcade, I picked up high speed the week before and not only do they love pinball but the fact of chasing a high score, they are a little disappointed in not being able to put in their initials with comet.

That's how it is with older mahines. The Comet uses a System 9 CPU, circa 1985. The following rendition, Williams System 11 introduced around 1986 and used in your later High Speed pinball allowed the entering of HS initials. Early solid state games only had 7 segment digital displays. When Alphanumeric Displays having more segments were introduced, it became possible to display letters of the alphabet.
EM games from even earlier times included a pocket knife to carve both the scores and your initials in the side of the cabinet

#557 5 years ago

I have a Comet that I have fixed up but I am still needing 3 displays. I haven't been able to find any repro stuff that matches up. If I am correct, it sounds like they switched the board at one point and I have the one that Rotten Dog doesn't make. Does anybody out there have any extra ones or any idea where to find some new or used?

#558 5 years ago
Quoted from Nyraiderfan:

can't believe I can't put in the initials

We used to just carve them into the side of the head.

#559 5 years ago
Quoted from TooFiddyMan:

I have a Comet that I have fixed up but I am still needing 3 displays. I haven't been able to find any repro stuff that matches up. If I am correct, it sounds like they switched the board at one point and I have the one that Rotten Dog doesn't make. Does anybody out there have any extra ones or any idea where to find some new or used?

There were 2 master display boards that are different.

The displays themselves are the same.

I probably have both master boards, I'd have to look.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/comet-any-fans-out-there/page/10#post-4619423

#560 5 years ago
Quoted from TooFiddyMan:

For what you're likely to pay for 3 plasma displays, I think you're better off installing a new led display system. Xpin makes a nice one. The display board even comes with both connector styles.

https://xpinpinball.com/product/xp-wms8363/

#561 5 years ago

FINALLY after 4 year my COMET is 100% up and running!!!!

I would just like to take minute to thank Chris (http://chrishiblerpinball.com). He did a fanatic job of repair my main board; plus, he even made a quick video checking the functions.(

)
Next task was leveling and pitching the playfield; I like my Comet fast, so I wanted a 6.5 to 7.0 pitch; I could not get it. Come to find out one of my legs was taller then the other.

WTF!!! How could I not seen this before????

According to Flippers.be I should have "27" legs. I found some on E-Bay, used..... should come in next week.

Merry Christmas
Happy Holidays

MM

OUT

#562 5 years ago
Quoted from madmatt1:

FINALLY after 4 year my COMET is 100% up and running!!!!
I would just like to take minute to thank Chris (http://chrishiblerpinball.com). He did a fanatic job of repair my main board; plus, he even made a quick video checking the functions.( )
Next task was leveling and pitching the playfield; I like my Comet fast, so I wanted a 6.5 to 7.0 pitch; I could not get it. Come to find out one of my legs was taller then the other.
WTF!!! How could I not seen this before????
According to Flippers.be I should have "27" legs. I found some on E-Bay, used..... should come in next week.
Merry Christmas
Happy Holidays
MM
OUT

Agreed! Can't say enough good things about Chris. Im super fortunate to only live about 20 minutes away from him. He has repaired a few boards for me and his work is 2nd to none.

#563 5 years ago

Hello all, new to pins and to the site... would certainly love to be in the Comet Club. I have read and absorbed a lot over the last 3 weeks as I semi-repaired a Comet for my 8 year old son for Christmas. I have installed new cycle jump ramp and transparent orange corkscrew thanks to Freeplay40 too. Thought I had everything working only to be let down 2 days after Christmas with a very weak left flipper, but at least it worked Christmas Day! I have read everything vid1900 posted on the subject and I understand most of it...thought it would be easier to just post some pics and ask for help. Whatever wiring is going on with my right flipper-my left is nothing like it. Please know I am self taught and just knowledgeable enough to be dangerous to myself lol. Thank you for all of everyone’s great posts and help that got me here...great to find something like this site available. Note-the blue coil is the left and the orange on right-sorry

070FAEDF-536D-4723-A389-5355CF709246 (resized).jpeg070FAEDF-536D-4723-A389-5355CF709246 (resized).jpeg2F909415-3DBA-4474-A3FE-3634798129CA (resized).jpeg2F909415-3DBA-4474-A3FE-3634798129CA (resized).jpeg476B6134-9C81-4640-AB2C-1DC50AFF82C2 (resized).jpeg476B6134-9C81-4640-AB2C-1DC50AFF82C2 (resized).jpeg665A0A74-03A0-4E42-8DE1-F35D05137759 (resized).jpeg665A0A74-03A0-4E42-8DE1-F35D05137759 (resized).jpeg7313A320-3D6D-4549-9CD4-679D1CBA6308 (resized).jpeg7313A320-3D6D-4549-9CD4-679D1CBA6308 (resized).jpegFCA4B53A-8DEC-461C-BE6F-D8A506CC954D (resized).jpegFCA4B53A-8DEC-461C-BE6F-D8A506CC954D (resized).jpeg95E7B2AC-5BC1-4610-83DA-DABA741860A2 (resized).jpeg95E7B2AC-5BC1-4610-83DA-DABA741860A2 (resized).jpegCDD8C938-7AA8-43D4-A3AF-9F86A4F623E8 (resized).jpegCDD8C938-7AA8-43D4-A3AF-9F86A4F623E8 (resized).jpeg

#564 5 years ago

The contacts on your left flipper end of stroke switch are in really bad shape. At this condition, I wouldn't even bother with trying to clean them - replacement is the best option.

8938b252e41d8dace93be3e6e380ba2bd51a840f.jpeg (resized).jpg8938b252e41d8dace93be3e6e380ba2bd51a840f.jpeg (resized).jpg
#565 5 years ago

Hey guys my family and i have been working our new comet played something like 600 games already between my family and their friends, machine has taken a beating and just broke a part ( pictured ) belongs to the center ramp, anyone have any idea on who might sell this piece?
Thanks for your help.

IMG_0246 (resized).JPGIMG_0246 (resized).JPGIMG_0247 (resized).JPGIMG_0247 (resized).JPG

#566 5 years ago
Quoted from Nyraiderfan:

anyone have any idea on who might sell this piece?

What's broken, the ball gate, or just the wire form? I can't tell from your photo. I think marco specialties carries these.

#567 5 years ago

Thanks for the quick reply, The ball gate ( metal frame ) holding the wire form.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#569 5 years ago

Just found it, thanks to you, Marcos has a ton of stuff, they even have the decal reflecting the 1,000,000 point shot for the cyclone jump.........WHOLLY COW!!!!!

Thanks again

#570 5 years ago

Comet owners, please check out my new 3D printed Comet & Cyclone coasters for sale: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cyclone-comet-coaster

IMG_1692.JPGIMG_1692.JPG
#571 5 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Comet owners, please check out my new 3D printed Comet & Cyclone coasters for sale: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cyclone-comet-coaster
[quoted image]

What are the dimensions if this and where would it go in a comet?

#572 5 years ago
Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

What are the dimensions if this and where would it go in a comet?

Dimensions of each coaster is 2" wide x 5.75" long x 1" tall.

I don’t own a Comet, but I assume a good location would on top of the ramp somewhere. What would your thoughts be?

#573 5 years ago

I have a question for you boys/fans of Comet..I replaced the rubbers some time ago, and every so often it scores 100 points..sometimes when I hit either flipper, sometimes just on its own! It makes a sound similar to when you 1st hit the dummy..a ‘wha wha’ kinda sound..so what scores 100? I’ve looked at the slingshot, as well as the dummy, and all gaps appear fine and clean..I appreciate your time/thoughts on this..

#574 5 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

The contacts on your left flipper end of stroke switch are in really bad shape. At this condition, I wouldn't even bother with trying to clean them - replacement is the best option.
[quoted image]

wayout440 vid1900 Thank you for your reply and upvote for the EOS...I replaced the left one last night and wow...that was it...I bought parts to rebuild both flippers as well...but did just the EOS to learn and tinker this time...I will rebuild the next time something goes awry.

I hope you know how much those of us with less experience appreciate your help and the time you take in responding to things that are elementary for you. Take care and Happy New Year!

#575 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinogrady:

wayout440 vid1900 Thank you for your reply and upvote for the EOS...I replaced the left one last night and wow...that was it...I bought parts to rebuild both flippers as well...but did just the EOS to learn and tinker this time...I will rebuild the next time something goes awry.
I hope you know how much those of us with less experience appreciate your help and the time you take in responding to things that are elementary for you. Take care and Happy New Year!

Thanks for the nice compliment. We just like to keep the past alive.

#576 5 years ago
Quoted from hwyhed:

I have a question for you boys/fans of Comet..I replaced the rubbers some time ago, and every so often it scores 100 points..sometimes when I hit either flipper, sometimes just on its own! It makes a sound similar to when you 1st hit the dummy..a ‘wha wha’ kinda sound..so what scores 100? I’ve looked at the slingshot, as well as the dummy, and all gaps appear fine and clean..I appreciate your time/thoughts on this..

Go into Switch Test

Use your fist to bang around on the playfield and see if that triggers the switch

The display will tell you what switch just triggered.

It's **probably** the target behind the Dummy, but a flaky diode could mask as another.

-

If banging won't do it, then manually trigger each switch, and then check the display for each - making sure that the Switch# matches the number in the manual.

#577 5 years ago
Quoted from hwyhed:

There are 4 or 5 rubbers around the pop bumpers that have a leaf switch behind them. These all score 100 each and each make a slightly different sound. I'm guessing when you replaced the rubbers one of these is too close and is triggering during play. The dummy drop target scores 1,000.

#578 5 years ago

Received my lighting today, so posted updated photos of the coasters. Still awaiting pics from those I've sold to show what they look like installed in pins.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cyclone-comet-coaster#post-4770333

1 week later
#579 5 years ago
Quoted from Parkshow30:

There are 4 or 5 rubbers around the pop bumpers that have a leaf switch behind them. These all score 100 each and each make a slightly different sound. I'm guessing when you replaced the rubbers one of these is too close and is triggering during play. The dummy drop target scores 1,000.

After finding some time/energy, I was determined to find my issue. Sure enough, at the top by the pop bumpers a contact was to close. A lil adjustment, and all is good! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction Parkshow! And thanks goes to you too Vid for always trying to help everyone out w your knowledge

#580 5 years ago

Switch 43 "outside left lane" has I guess finally died. Was acting flaky and working intermittently but has now completely quit registering. Nobody sells this part anymore at least not marco or pinballlife. Does anyone know of a different switch that can be used as an alternative? The manual calls it switch b-8410 and its part number is a-5844-35. Vid I know you did that hardtop overlay on your machine maybe you can weigh in here if you had any to replace? Thks

20190121_095807 (resized).jpg20190121_095807 (resized).jpg
#581 5 years ago
Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Switch 43 "outside left lane" has I guess finally died. Was acting flaky and working intermittently but has now completely quit registering. Nobody sells this part anymore at least not marco or pinballlife. Does anyone know of a different switch that can be used as an alternative? The manual calls it switch b-8410 and its part number is a-5844-35. Vid I know you did that hardtop overlay on your machine maybe you can weigh in here if you had any to replace? Thks
[quoted image]

Isn't that just a leaf switch below the actuator? May just be out of adjustment, or can replace just the leaf.

#582 5 years ago
Quoted from Kawydud:

Isn't that just a leaf switch below the actuator? May just be out of adjustment, or can replace just the leaf.

Sorry I should have been clearer. Yes it is just a leaf and the wireform when rolled over closes the leaf. The wireform is what is broken and was causing my flaky problems. Was wondering if anyone has ever changed the whole switch out to a newer micro switch style? Othereise I will have to try to replicate the wirwform to replace the broken one.

#583 5 years ago
Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Sorry I should have been clearer. Yes it is just a leaf and the wireform when rolled over closes the leaf. The wireform is what is broken and was causing my flaky problems. Was wondering if anyone has ever changed the whole switch out to a newer micro switch style? Othereise I will have to try to replicate the wirwform to replace the broken one.

The wireform pieces are readily available....Pinball Resource for sure.

#584 5 years ago
Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

. Vid I know you did that hardtop overlay on your machine maybe you can weigh in here if you had any to replace? Thks

Wireforms break occasionally.

They still make new ones, and even if they did not, you can just bend new ones from the same gauge piano wire

Also, I'll admit that I've used a Bally wireform in a Williams game - got to keep them earning....

#585 5 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

The wireform pieces are readily available....Pinball Resource for sure.

Thks Mark I totally forgot about checking over at pinball resource will definetely check them out now.

Quoted from vid1900:

Wireforms break occasionally.
They still make new ones, and even if they did not, you can just bend new ones from the same gauge piano wire
Also, I'll admit that I've used a Bally wireform in a Williams game - got to keep them earning....

Well I knew for sure you would have went all "Macgyver" on those wireforms and rigged something up to work for sure! Thank you for the advice

#586 5 years ago

Just found out I am missing a plastic on my Comet. I am looking for the small all green plastic that goes on the left side of the jump ramp, near where the jump kickout hole is... you can see it in this pic to the left of the silver jump ramp...

comet_9 (resized).jpgcomet_9 (resized).jpg
#587 5 years ago
Quoted from Lathroum:

Just found out I am missing a plastic on my Comet. I am looking for the small all green plastic that goes on the left side of the jump ramp, near where the jump kickout hole is... you can see it in this pic to the left of the silver jump ramp...[quoted image]

Don't know if you can find it separately unless someone just happens to have one, and sets seem to all be out of stock. I could hand make you one out of Lexan if I had a template for the shape.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/31-1006-540

#588 5 years ago
Quoted from Lathroum:

Just found out I am missing a plastic on my Comet. I am looking for the small all green plastic that goes on the left side of the jump ramp, near where the jump kickout hole is... you can see it in this pic to the left of the silver jump ramp...[quoted image]

I think I might still have my old broken one if you want it. Was probably about 80% there. Would look better than nothing and is the right price.

#589 5 years ago

Found it, pm your address if you want it. Can also get a full set here...

https://classicplayfields.com/shop/pinball-plastics/comet/

15481936150491379423642 (resized).jpg15481936150491379423642 (resized).jpg

#590 5 years ago
Quoted from Lathroum:

Well i'm not sure how I never put 2 and 2 together and figured out that space shouldn't be bare. Just double checked my machine and I too am apparently missing that piece as well. Always thought something should go there but thought williams just cheaped out on that space since its kinda hidden by the center ramp.

20190122_202352 (resized).jpg20190122_202352 (resized).jpg
#591 5 years ago
Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Well i'm not sure how I never put 2 and 2 together and figured out that space shouldn't be bare. Just double checked my machine and I too am apparently missing that piece as well. Always thought something should go there but thought williams just cheaped out on that space since its kinda hidden by the center ramp.
[quoted image]

Don't worry... I have had mine for months and just noticed it... I can't fork out the $ for a whole set of plastics for that one small piece...

#592 5 years ago

Yeah, that's a tough one to justify spending $129+ on. There were a couple other plastics that I needed and got a slightly better deal on ebay when they were dumping some older stock. Else I think that broken one would still be on my Comet.

#593 5 years ago

Ok well I guess heres my plea now. If anybody has an extra one of these plastics and you would like to help a fellow comet owner please PM me with what you have and how much you want for it. Everytime I look at it now it's totally going to annoy me knowing I have a part missing. Thks..

#594 5 years ago

Oops, excuse me but I posted to wrong forum.

#595 5 years ago

Just stop at your local AIN plastics and find a green scrap in the barrels.

Those always break.

#596 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Just stop at your local AIN plastics and find a green scrap in the barrels.
Those always break.

No AIN plastics around me. Any idea where else and maybe what thickness to look for?

#597 5 years ago

Any plastic joint will have a scrap barrel @ $1 a pound.

1/8 or 3/16" is doable.

1 week later
#598 5 years ago

Okay Comet owners, I've developed two sets of apron cards for the game available for purchase. Cost is $6 per set (includes postage), so please PM me if interested.

My printing process includes printing on a 6-color photo quality printer using only OEM ink and OEM ultra gloss photo paper (no cheap stuff). I then laminate with a 3mil clear gloss vinyl for protection, cut to size, then to top it off I color all paper edges black so that you do not see a white outline on the apron.

Set #1
Comet_Left1 (resized).jpgComet_Left1 (resized).jpgComet_Right1 (resized).jpgComet_Right1 (resized).jpg

Set #2
Comet_Left2 (resized).jpgComet_Left2 (resized).jpgComet_Right2 (resized).jpgComet_Right2 (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#599 5 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Received my lighting today, so posted updated photos of the coasters. Still awaiting pics from those I've sold to show what they look like installed in pins.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cyclone-comet-coaster#post-4770333

I received the coaster today, looks great! Was planning to install it at the right side by the plunger. Any suggestions on where to connect the two wires to light up the coaster? The wires fit easily down the side of the playfield.

Also I ordered the new instruction cards which are amazing quality. A lot nicer than the plain white ones that come with the game.

Thanks for the help.

Comet Coaster (resized).jpgComet Coaster (resized).jpg
#600 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

I received the coaster today, looks great! Was planning to install it at the right side by the plunger. Any suggestions on where to connect the two wires to light up the coaster? The wires fit easily down the side of the playfield.
Also I ordered the new instruction cards which are amazing quality. A lot nicer than the plain white ones that come with the game.
Thanks for the help.[quoted image]

You can clip on to any GI bulb socket on the underside of the playfield for the coaster.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
Machine - For Sale
Columbus, OH
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
New Cumberland, PA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
There are 1,751 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 36.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/comet-any-fans-out-there/page/12 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.