(Topic ID: 98808)

Comet 6.3v LED strip lighting mods...Post um here.

By MustangPaul

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 113 posts
  • 35 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Gorno
  • Topic is favorited by 23 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20150317_021213.jpg
image.jpg
IMGA0129.JPG
IMGA0130.JPG
IMGA0131.JPG
IMG_2947.JPG
IMG_2945.JPG
e (1).JPG
e (2).JPG
IMG_2315.JPG
image-502.jpg
image-898.jpg
image-46.jpg
image-388.jpg
image-40.jpg
image-591.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mustangpaul.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

As you know I've been lighting my games playfield plastics with Comet's 6.3v LED strips for a while now and I just came up with another one under a totally dark plastic on my Mustang Pro. It really bugged me that Stern would leave a major pf plastic unlit so I used a Comet 6.3v, 7 LED strip to light it up.

So I decided to start this topic to share this Mustang mod and hope it inspires others to use the strips for lighting their games. So post your mods and share with others your creative uses for these wonderfully unique Comet LED strips.

Before

IMGA0131.JPGIMGA0131.JPG

During

IMGA0129.JPGIMGA0129.JPG

After

IMGA0130.JPGIMGA0130.JPG

#2 9 years ago

Here's 2 more strips I put under the Spin Out plastic. All the plastics are lit really nice now, just like the way the game should have come from Stern.

IMGA0132.JPGIMGA0132.JPG
IMGA0133.JPGIMGA0133.JPG

#4 9 years ago

Yeah there sure are and just wait till the color changers come out.

#8 9 years ago

Here is where I put a strip on the center drain on my Mustang Pro and other games. The second picture got a reflection off the pf because of the angle of the shot.

IMGA0987-282.JPGIMGA0987-282.JPG
IMGA0988.JPGIMGA0988.JPG

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

thanks for the infos.
now this is cool, so many things i can do with those...
placing an order right now.

and knowing the way you come up with mods I'll bet you won't get much sleep tonight cuz those gears will be a turnin and you'll be tossing and turning all night.

#14 9 years ago

A running joke, a light that puts out no light aka black.

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Explosions? Gotta try that. maybe 2-3 flashing differently, yet controlled.

That sounds pretty cool. Or a randomly flickering color strip.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

I man, I got a ton of those if anyone is looking, guaranteed to never fail!

You do??? I'll pay TOP dollar.

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

I'm still just starting out with this and still have clean-up to do with the wires, but I wanted to share a couple of things I worked on yesterday. I had previously bought 2 of the longer strips, and then life got in the way and I forgot about them. Then last week I got another Comet order in with a free sample of a small green strip. So I found the 2 big ones and decided to poke around. My LAH and JP have a dead space in the center, and I like to play in pitch dark, so I decided I'd try to lighten them up.
The long strips weren't labeled on the package, so looking at them I thought I had a warm white and a cool white. I put the warm one on the LAH ramp and plugged it into the right sling top bulb socket, and low and behold it was purple. lol But... it looked really good, so I ran the wires the best I could for now and installed it. Since the purple was making some of the neon colors on the playfield glow, I put a flex UV bulb in the left captive ball area to light up the audience for the movie theater artwork, and now the people glow in the dark.
For JP, I wanted to light up the same general area, so I tried putting the white strip on the ramps. I couldn't get a good bend on the strip to follow the ramps and my big ptero kept getting in the way... and then inspiration hit me. I used a couple of the sticky dots to ensure a good hold, then ran the strip down the ptero's wing so that he's now a very large and decorative spotlight. I ran the wire the best I could, but I'll probably have husband shorten them later but have a pinball party thing tomorrow and wanted them back together for that.
I still haven't figured out what to do with my little green one. I thought about RFM, but I've kind of got it purpled out at the moment so that it looks black light. I'm thinking my Green Goblin needs to be lit up a little more, so I'll have to find somewhere to plug it in below my building mods.

Those are some pretty good uses there.

#20 9 years ago

I'm still waiting for Art to come out with a strip that gets it's power wirelessly. Now THAT would be the invention of the century.

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

that's your fault paul... damn you!

Da devil made me do it.

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from Rock914:

I put a big tesla coil on my MSF it powered everything even the black leds

Pictures or it didn't happen.

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

Awwww yeah. Now I know what else my pin room needs. Tesla coils!

Your guests would get a "charge" out of them.

#42 9 years ago

I'll say it does, great contrast too.

1 week later
#44 9 years ago
Quoted from tilted81:

before and after pics. Just wrapped it around the turret post and put one under the apron, big difference!

image.jpg 152 KB

image-244.jpg 77 KB

image-793.jpg 87 KB

image-908.jpg 182 KB

I've been doing the center drain one for a while now, I don't have the game so I just don't understand what you did with the turret post.

#46 9 years ago
Quoted from tilted81:

Soldered a 3 led strip into the gi bulb there under the sling plastic 2nd pic, and wrapped it around the turret post under the plastic pointed at the playfield 3rd pic

OK I get it now. That really does light up those sling plastics now. These strips are great aren't they.

#50 9 years ago
Quoted from JBBOPT:

I had one on the apron but it caused a lot of glare on the plastic DMD cover

Yes the bent plastic will fix that so will Comets anti glare film. I have the bent plastic and it works perfect.

#52 9 years ago
Quoted from JBBOPT:

For antiglare filters that would help glare coming from the DMD I would think the lights from the strips would still glare on the plastic DMD panel surface of my sttng that covers the DMD and speaker areas

now that I think about it. Ask Art at Comet.

2 months later
#56 9 years ago

My scoops are constantly lit and not with strips just flex leds.

#58 9 years ago
Quoted from OnTilt:

Ex. If the scoop award was an Extra Ball when lit, what's the best way to tie the scoop hole flex led or led strip into that so both the scoop and Extra Ball led light together?

I think the easy way would be to just use alligator clips to attach to the extra ball light socket under the pf.

#62 9 years ago

Here is where I put a 7 led strip to light the flipper area of my High Speed and Mustang Pro. I just spliced into the coin door lights which are 6.3v.

Strip light 2.JPGStrip light 2.JPG
Strip light 3.JPGStrip light 3.JPG
IMGA0987.JPGIMGA0987.JPG
IMGA0983.JPGIMGA0983.JPG
IMGA0984.JPGIMGA0984.JPG

#64 9 years ago
Quoted from cincyITguy:

Thanks for the instruction. Will get to installing tonight.
-Aaron

Make sure you attach the strip above the ball path.

#71 9 years ago
Quoted from burningman:

Hey Art...quick question, for those that are looking to add lights but might not want to use all three lights on the strip, can one light at the end of the strip be cut off and the other two still work?

Yes you can, I cut 2 - 7's down to 2 - 4's for my Getaway sling plastics.

DIY Getaway light mod 3.JPGDIY Getaway light mod 3.JPG DIY Getaway light mod 1.JPGDIY Getaway light mod 1.JPG DIY Getaway light mod 4.JPGDIY Getaway light mod 4.JPG
#75 9 years ago

Morning Art and Chris, I'm hoping Art can make 6.3v UV strips.

#78 9 years ago
Quoted from Rock914:

Good morning Paul,
6.3v UV strips would be a great addition. UV is also ultra tricky for the best performance. Some inks will only react well with a certain temperature, this is hard for me to explain but a good all around UV would be great.

I understand, it's about wave length.

#79 9 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

UV strips are on Order....They will arrive in about 8 weeks....
I wonder how mixing the two would work...purple and UV...or too much?
No idea?
Chris, I think Id like the tank on my desk!!
That looks amazing!

That's great news Art. Now having to wait.

#82 9 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

pretend they are on their way!

No need to send them Art......I'll just pick them up at your place when I come down to Flippin Florida in a few weeks.

#83 9 years ago
Quoted from Rock914:

The Tank is yours. Let me build a desktop version for you.

OH WOW!!!! I'll take one too. You'd have a whole new market here.

4 months later
#86 9 years ago

Thanks for the posts Avid and Gomo, keep um commin.

#90 9 years ago
Quoted from Gorno:

I added a 7 smd red strip under t2's apron and a 3 smd red strip under F-14's. I also added a 7 smd strip behind the bumper on F-14 to help light up the upper playfield. My only regret is that I didn't buy the purple versions over the natural white for F-14. Next order I make from Comet I will pick up a couple of those.

20150307_211353.jpg (Click image to enlarge)
20150307_211111.jpg (Click image to enlarge)
20150307_211020.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

Yeah baby...now your rockin.

#91 9 years ago
Quoted from anubis2night:

I'm thinking something like this might be sweet to do with Metallica

You bet it would be but just one problem.....what color.

#92 9 years ago
Quoted from pinwillie:

I found a good spot to put a 3 smd red on the trunk mech under the subway plastic

Now that's clever.

#95 9 years ago
Quoted from Decat:

Popeye flipper area:
image.jpg (Click image to enlarge)
WCS94 flipper area:
Elektra flipper area:
Popeye, thus lights up the momma porcupine who is knitting mittens for her new baby porcupine being delivered by the stork who is around the skill shot area, this plastic is completely dark and unable to be seen without the LED strip behind:
Two LED strips are shown here, on the left is the plastic with the zebras who are playing horshoes with their own tennis shoes, and on the right is the tortoise and the hair with the tortoise winning and the hare tired, both of these plastics are normally almost completely dark:
This is the shark in the tub and alligator on the sunchair lotioning up, normally a very dark plastic:
This is the dolphin in a bathtub plastic which is normally not lit at all:

These strips work so nice to light up plastics that don't/have weak lighting under them. Good job.

#96 9 years ago
Quoted from anubis2night:

I'm thinking purple
I'm planning on doing purple for the mystery scoopso this would match plus the lower pf has a lot of purple in it. But I'm also going to use the neon green plastic protectors so green might be sweet as well. Or red for that matter as the shot again leds in the eyes might be good to color coordinate with

Decisions..decisions, I know the feeling well.

#101 9 years ago
Quoted from pinnaf:

T2 - with a couple Blue LED strips.... and a LED strip to the T-800 bust personalized topper

e (1).JPG (Click image to enlarge)
e (2).JPG (Click image to enlarge)
IMG_2315.JPG (Click image to enlarge)

Very impressive. Nice job. Any other places you can think of to put them? Any long plastics that need more even lighting? The nice thing about Comet strips in those places is the strip comes with a 44 or 555 socket adapter so you don't have to hunt under the pf for a power source. Here's an example.

There was no light under this plastic,
IMGA0131.JPGIMGA0131.JPG

so I put a strip there.
IMGA0129.JPGIMGA0129.JPG

Made a HUGE difference.
IMGA0130.JPGIMGA0130.JPG

#103 9 years ago
Quoted from Spitfiren8:

Just installed a blue strip behind the flippers on my BSD. Unfortunatly my iphone pic doesnt do it justice, the color transition from the dark blue of the strip to the ice blue ultimate optix in the slings looks killer!
Art is the man!

That nice even light looks great. Now if there was only some way to do the same with the out lane plastics.

#108 9 years ago
Quoted from DB62:

That looks AWESOME!!! Could you please take a picture of WHERE & HOW these LED strips are mounted. Thanks
Dan

Check out my post #62 in this thread.

1 week later
#112 9 years ago
Quoted from Gorno:

Thank you sir, it's still a work in progress. I am definitely enjoying the darker colours on this machine.

Is it really that bright in person? And you don't even have any spot lights on it. The lighting looks so even, no dark spots.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball
Other
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Decals
$ 22.50
3,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Coalinga, CA
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods
Backbox
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
$ 12.95
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
Led
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, OH
£ 38.00
$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs
Decals
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mustangpaul.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/comet-63v-led-strip-lighting-modspost-um-here?tu=mustangpaul and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.