(Topic ID: 98808)

Comet 6.3v LED strip lighting mods...Post um here.

By MustangPaul

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 113 posts
  • 35 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Gorno
  • Topic is favorited by 23 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20150317_021213.jpg
image.jpg
IMGA0129.JPG
IMGA0130.JPG
IMGA0131.JPG
IMG_2947.JPG
IMG_2945.JPG
e (1).JPG
e (2).JPG
IMG_2315.JPG
image-502.jpg
image-898.jpg
image-46.jpg
image-388.jpg
image-40.jpg
image-591.jpg
There are 113 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 9 years ago

As you know I've been lighting my games playfield plastics with Comet's 6.3v LED strips for a while now and I just came up with another one under a totally dark plastic on my Mustang Pro. It really bugged me that Stern would leave a major pf plastic unlit so I used a Comet 6.3v, 7 LED strip to light it up.

So I decided to start this topic to share this Mustang mod and hope it inspires others to use the strips for lighting their games. So post your mods and share with others your creative uses for these wonderfully unique Comet LED strips.

Before

IMGA0131.JPGIMGA0131.JPG

During

IMGA0129.JPGIMGA0129.JPG

After

IMGA0130.JPGIMGA0130.JPG

#2 9 years ago

Here's 2 more strips I put under the Spin Out plastic. All the plastics are lit really nice now, just like the way the game should have come from Stern.

IMGA0132.JPGIMGA0132.JPG
IMGA0133.JPGIMGA0133.JPG

#3 9 years ago

No pics, but I've got several of these on my IM.

Tons of potential uses for these!

#4 9 years ago

Yeah there sure are and just wait till the color changers come out.

#7 9 years ago

I have one shining down from under the apron on my AC/DC and Elvis. Really lights up the flipper area nicely.
Also used one on my Addams family shining down from the left ramp to the dark area behind the pop bumpers.
Sorry no photos yet.

#8 9 years ago

Here is where I put a strip on the center drain on my Mustang Pro and other games. The second picture got a reflection off the pf because of the angle of the shot.

IMGA0987-282.JPGIMGA0987-282.JPG
IMGA0988.JPGIMGA0988.JPG

#9 9 years ago

thanks for the infos.

now this is cool, so many things i can do with those...

placing an order right now.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

thanks for the infos.
now this is cool, so many things i can do with those...
placing an order right now.

and knowing the way you come up with mods I'll bet you won't get much sleep tonight cuz those gears will be a turnin and you'll be tossing and turning all night.

#11 9 years ago

order placed, i think i ordered like 20 of those strips, different colors and lenght and other stuff.

already have a few ideas.

that's your fault paul... damn you!

#12 9 years ago

Dedicated Red has arrived in, along with Blue and Green.

To get colors like Ice Blue, Peach, Orange Red...you have 20 different shades that can have 5 brightness levels as well as Special Effects.

Every color you could want, except the elusive black LED, can be found now!

Mod Away!....

and by the way, these will plug into any backbox socket....TZ door panel, under $10.
Explosions? Gotta try that. maybe 2-3 flashing differently, yet controlled.
Will these work with a clear flipper button?
...run it to the cabinet top, when extra ball is lit,
....stack 2 on the Apron, one to GI, and one as an affect when jackpot or other insert is lit,
Blondetall put one under her dino wing in JP!

Along the backsplash, where there is no light, or plug 2 in to a Stern in the back,

Diffuse a clear hose with acetone, slide them in, and place under a ramp, for a light tube show?

Bounce the light, by strips pointing down to the playfield.

Flashing shooter lane tied to shoot again light.

I have only tried 2 of these, but hope to start experimenting this weekend!

#13 9 years ago

What is that?

#14 9 years ago

A running joke, a light that puts out no light aka black.

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

A running joke, a light that puts out no light aka black.

I man, I got a ton of those if anyone is looking, guaranteed to never fail!

#16 9 years ago

I'm still just starting out with this and still have clean-up to do with the wires, but I wanted to share a couple of things I worked on yesterday. I had previously bought 2 of the longer strips, and then life got in the way and I forgot about them. Then last week I got another Comet order in with a free sample of a small green strip. So I found the 2 big ones and decided to poke around. My LAH and JP have a dead space in the center, and I like to play in pitch dark, so I decided I'd try to lighten them up.

The long strips weren't labeled on the package, so looking at them I thought I had a warm white and a cool white. I put the warm one on the LAH ramp and plugged it into the right sling top bulb socket, and low and behold it was purple. lol But... it looked really good, so I ran the wires the best I could for now and installed it. Since the purple was making some of the neon colors on the playfield glow, I put a flex UV bulb in the left captive ball area to light up the audience for the movie theater artwork, and now the people glow in the dark. (It looks way less purple in person, and more like a black light so that the colors pop.) Oh, I also used one of the Platinum flex bulbs on the crane post to light up the backboard, and it works very well.

For JP, I wanted to light up the same general area, so I tried putting the white strip on the ramps. I couldn't get a good bend on the strip to follow the ramps and my big ptero kept getting in the way... and then inspiration hit me. I used a couple of the sticky dots to ensure a good hold, then ran the strip down the ptero's wing so that he's now a very large and decorative spotlight. I ran the wire the best I could, but I'll probably have husband shorten them later but have a pinball party thing tomorrow and wanted them back together for that.

I still haven't figured out what to do with my little green one. I thought about RFM, but I've kind of got it purpled out at the moment so that it looks black light. I'm thinking my Green Goblin needs to be lit up a little more, so I'll have to find somewhere to plug it in below my building mods.

image-879.jpgimage-879.jpg
image-393.jpgimage-393.jpg
image-636.jpgimage-636.jpg
image-969.jpgimage-969.jpg
image-863.jpgimage-863.jpg

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Explosions? Gotta try that. maybe 2-3 flashing differently, yet controlled.

That sounds pretty cool. Or a randomly flickering color strip.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

I man, I got a ton of those if anyone is looking, guaranteed to never fail!

You do??? I'll pay TOP dollar.

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

I'm still just starting out with this and still have clean-up to do with the wires, but I wanted to share a couple of things I worked on yesterday. I had previously bought 2 of the longer strips, and then life got in the way and I forgot about them. Then last week I got another Comet order in with a free sample of a small green strip. So I found the 2 big ones and decided to poke around. My LAH and JP have a dead space in the center, and I like to play in pitch dark, so I decided I'd try to lighten them up.
The long strips weren't labeled on the package, so looking at them I thought I had a warm white and a cool white. I put the warm one on the LAH ramp and plugged it into the right sling top bulb socket, and low and behold it was purple. lol But... it looked really good, so I ran the wires the best I could for now and installed it. Since the purple was making some of the neon colors on the playfield glow, I put a flex UV bulb in the left captive ball area to light up the audience for the movie theater artwork, and now the people glow in the dark.
For JP, I wanted to light up the same general area, so I tried putting the white strip on the ramps. I couldn't get a good bend on the strip to follow the ramps and my big ptero kept getting in the way... and then inspiration hit me. I used a couple of the sticky dots to ensure a good hold, then ran the strip down the ptero's wing so that he's now a very large and decorative spotlight. I ran the wire the best I could, but I'll probably have husband shorten them later but have a pinball party thing tomorrow and wanted them back together for that.
I still haven't figured out what to do with my little green one. I thought about RFM, but I've kind of got it purpled out at the moment so that it looks black light. I'm thinking my Green Goblin needs to be lit up a little more, so I'll have to find somewhere to plug it in below my building mods.

Those are some pretty good uses there.

#20 9 years ago

I'm still waiting for Art to come out with a strip that gets it's power wirelessly. Now THAT would be the invention of the century.

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

that's your fault paul... damn you!

Da devil made me do it.

#22 9 years ago

Lit my roof top mod for AC/DC with two of them. Painted them to alternate colors.

202953.jpg202953.jpg

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I'm still waiting for Art to come out with a strip that gets it's power wirelessly. Now THAT would be the invention of the century.

I put a big tesla coil on my MSF it powered everything even the black leds

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from Rock914:

Pictures or it didn't happen.

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from Rock914:

Awwww yeah. Now I know what else my pin room needs. Tesla coils!

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

Awwww yeah. Now I know what else my pin room needs. Tesla coils!

Your guests would get a "charge" out of them.

#28 9 years ago

Aaand out of stock.

#29 9 years ago

I just added two to my ss yesterday

image.jpgimage.jpg
#30 9 years ago

And here's the little green one lighting up my Goblin.

image-624.jpgimage-624.jpg image-821.jpgimage-821.jpg image-196.jpgimage-196.jpg image-962.jpgimage-962.jpg
#31 9 years ago

Hi guys, I need some advice, how do these look with incandescent gi lighting, and what's the difference between the regular strips and the RGB ones above. I'm sorry I have no idea when it comes to led bulbs. All I know is that I don't like led's, or at least the ones I've tried before. Haven't tried any in at least 4-5 years, I pretty much gave up on them. However, I think this idea is cool and was gonna let my son play around with some on the next game he does. I have many games that have dark spots and thought this item is pretty cool. Thanks, Todd Scott

#32 9 years ago

Ooh ooh lemme get some pics, I'll post later...

#33 9 years ago

ok. so one thing i've done with these wonderful things is i've managed to literally "light" the STTNG spinner. In the game, when you hit Warp Factor 4, the spinner becomes lit. By hooking an LED strip to the housing that hangs over the spinner, and using the alligator clips to attach it to the "spinner" insert, the left lane and spinner now light up when the spinner is "lit", and when the spinner spins, it gives a pretty awesome sparkle effect.

this is the spinner unlit:
spinner_unlit.JPGspinner_unlit.JPG

here it is lit -- the spinner insert is lit, and thanks to the CometPinball LED strip, the lane is lit up as well:
spinner_lit.JPGspinner_lit.JPG

and here is an attempt to show what it looks like as the spinner spins and catches the light of the LED strip. it gives a pretty cool sparkle effect when the spinner is lit, it's a pretty cool effect in person. since a lit spinner can be worth so many points on STTNG, i love being able to add perceptual heft to it through the lighting!
spinner_glare.JPGspinner_glare.JPG

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from lostlumberjacks:

Hi guys, I need some advice, how do these look with incandescent gi lighting, and what's the difference between the regular strips and the RGB ones above. I'm sorry I have no idea when it comes to led bulbs. All I know is that I don't like led's, or at least the ones I've tried before. Haven't tried any in at least 4-5 years, I pretty much gave up on them. However, I think this idea is cool and was gonna let my son play around with some on the next game he does. I have many games that have dark spots and thought this item is pretty cool. Thanks, Todd Scott

The "RGB" ones constantly cycle through a whole lot of different colors, hence the "Red, Green, Blue" name. If you simply want to illuminate a dark area get some white ones. Sounds like you might not like cool white though if you don't like LEDs so I would look for "warm" white strips.

These are super easy to stick almost anywhere on your machine and then you just run the wires to the closest GI bulb under the table and connect. It comes with different connectors so you can make the connection however you would like.

#36 9 years ago

you can also select a static color on the controller with the RGB strips

I put one of these behind the "Nintendo" logo on my SMB, looks awesome

#37 9 years ago

Hey pezpunk, I may have to steal your idea. That's awesome!

#38 9 years ago

Can I get some pictures of how you guys are tieing these into the GI?

Also, can they be tied into flashers?

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Can I get some pictures of how you guys are tieing these into the GI?
Also, can they be tied into flashers?

Aligator clips work well but I with either solder them onto a socket or use a splice connector. For my AC/DC roof mod I just swapped out the original GI socket with the harness that they come with.

For flashers - these are just 6.3 volt but he does sell strips and squares for 12 volt which can tie into flashers. I made my own AC/DC tnt detonator mod for $7 this way

Here are the flasher options.

http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/3smd12vstrip.htm
http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/6smd12vpad.htm

#41 9 years ago

I put the small green one behind the captive ball on IJ. It really lit up that back corner great.

image-757.jpgimage-757.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

#42 9 years ago

I'll say it does, great contrast too.

1 week later
#43 9 years ago

image.jpgimage.jpg before and after pics. Just wrapped it around the turret post and put one under the apron, big difference!

image-793.jpgimage-793.jpg image-244.jpgimage-244.jpg image-908.jpgimage-908.jpg
#44 9 years ago
Quoted from tilted81:

before and after pics. Just wrapped it around the turret post and put one under the apron, big difference!

image.jpg 152 KB

image-244.jpg 77 KB

image-793.jpg 87 KB

image-908.jpg 182 KB

I've been doing the center drain one for a while now, I don't have the game so I just don't understand what you did with the turret post.

#45 9 years ago

Soldered a 3 led strip into the gi bulb there under the sling plastic 2nd pic, and wrapped it around the turret post under the plastic pointed at the playfield 3rd pic

#46 9 years ago
Quoted from tilted81:

Soldered a 3 led strip into the gi bulb there under the sling plastic 2nd pic, and wrapped it around the turret post under the plastic pointed at the playfield 3rd pic

OK I get it now. That really does light up those sling plastics now. These strips are great aren't they.

#47 9 years ago

Yea, it looks better in person of course.. I don't think I'll have to add spotlights now which is cool! These strips are awesome!

#48 9 years ago

I had one on the apron but it caused a lot of glare on the plastic DMD cover

#49 9 years ago

I just fired it up.. Yea yer right.... U think a bent plastic dmd glare guard would solve that?

#50 9 years ago
Quoted from JBBOPT:

I had one on the apron but it caused a lot of glare on the plastic DMD cover

Yes the bent plastic will fix that so will Comets anti glare film. I have the bent plastic and it works perfect.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

£ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballToys

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Orange, CA
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
€ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 113 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/comet-63v-led-strip-lighting-modspost-um-here and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.