Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2436 (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

Hi there!

I have a Theatre of Magic with a burned connector on J120, which resulted in GI string 3 to go out. That IDC connector is an 11-pin one 0.156" 22 gauge (I think), which is pretty difficult to find in Belgium apparently. Can I combine 2x 5-pin connectors or is it better to cut off 1 from a 12-pin connector? Also, there are no wires on the last pin, so I'm assuming using a 10-pin connector would also work? Or no?

Sorry for all the confusing questions, I'm learning! Thanks!

IMG_2436 (resized).jpgIMG_2436 (resized).jpg
#2 1 year ago

Yes either of your suggestions will work, just mark them so you make sure they go back where they are supposed to and don't accidentally get installed one pin off or something.

If you're buying new connectors, get the little spacer pins too for the empty holes so you CAN'T install wrong.

And you actually only need a 9pin, the last 2 on the right aren't used.

#3 1 year ago

Any of those options will work but I would avoid using 2 5pin connectors because you run the risk of someone connecting them in the wrong order and causing damage. You could also change to a crimped connector instead of an idc. That looks to be what someone did to the connector below the one you circled in the picture. I don't know if Molex part 09-50-3111 is any easier to find for you.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Molex/09-50-3111?qs=zXrbR4Jv0OdVDtOYi5BwDg%3D%3D

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

If you're buying new connectors, get the little spacer pins too for the empty holes so you CAN'T install wrong.
And you actually only need a 9pin, the last 2 on the right aren't used.

You're right, thanks!

They are! And now I understand the difference between IDC and Molex connectors. Thanks!

#5 1 year ago

If you go Molex (which IS the better solution) you will need a crimping tool also. If this is the only game you're ever going to own maybe not worth the investment but these things multiply like rabbits.

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=1026-CT

These are the spacers (keys) so you can't accidentally plug it in wrong.
https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=15-04-0297-STRIP

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

If you go Molex (which IS the better solution) you will need a crimping tool also. If this is the only game you're ever going to own maybe not worth the investment but these things multiply like rabbits.
https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=1026-CT
These are the spacers (keys) so you can't accidentally plug it in wrong.
https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=15-04-0297-STRIP

FYI.

Due to the sudden and unexpected death of my wife, I have lost all motivation to continue operations of Great Plains Electronics. GPE will remain closed until at least mid-July while I decide if or when to restart operations.

Added 22 months ago: Note: This message was taken from the Great Plains Electronics website. I was just passing the message along. Sorry for the confusion.

#7 1 year ago

Sad news indeed about Ed's wife at GPE.

If you want to stick with IDC connectors, I can get you part numbers I use through Mouser.

Best way to do it is to use the AMPhenol connector crimper for the .156 and .100 IDC ends, but there's a manual tool that works ok also.

#8 1 year ago

I’ve had to combine 2 smaller connectors before - I just glued them together and they’ve worked perfectly since. I did also draw a line across both connectors to ensure I could easily tell how they line up in the event they came unglued. But it’s been 5 years and nothing has happened!

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from xfassa:

FYI.
Due to the sudden and unexpected death of my wife, I have lost all motivation to continue operations of Great Plains Electronics. GPE will remain closed until at least mid-July while I decide if or when to restart operations.

Condolences. I'm so sorry for your loss.

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from pb456:

Sad news indeed about Ed's wife at GPE.
If you want to stick with IDC connectors, I can get you part numbers I use through Mouser.
Best way to do it is to use the AMPhenol connector crimper for the .156 and .100 IDC ends, but there's a manual tool that works ok also.

Those crimpers can be pretty expensive! I ordered one of those push-thingies. Hopefully it'll do the trick.
I think I'll have to replace the pins on the board too, since I don't like the look of them. They're probably okay, not too black or anything, but just to be safe. I'll have to practice my soldering techniques first though.

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I’ve had to combine 2 smaller connectors before - I just glued them together and they’ve worked perfectly since. I did also draw a line across both connectors to ensure I could easily tell how they line up in the event they came unglued. But it’s been 5 years and nothing has happened!

Good to know, thanks!

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from Frogroar:

Condolences. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Note: The message was taken from the Great Plains Electronics website. I was just passing the message along. Sorry for the confusion

#12 1 year ago

I have used super glue to combine .100 and .156 Molex connectors. Since I am extra thorough I use sandpaper to lightly rough up the two edges that will meet, clean off and then use super glue. There are a few in my old EBD that have been holding together for years.

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from Frogroar:

Hi there!
I have a Theatre of Magic with a burned connector on J120, which resulted in GI string 3 to go out. That IDC connector is an 11-pin one 0.156" 22 gauge (I think), which is pretty difficult to find in Belgium apparently. Can I combine 2x 5-pin connectors or is it better to cut off 1 from a 12-pin connector? Also, there are no wires on the last pin, so I'm assuming using a 10-pin connector would also work? Or no?
Sorry for all the confusing questions, I'm learning! Thanks!
[quoted image]

Yes, the connector needs fix and maybe the header. Have you converted this game over to LEDs yet? You should or at least swap out all the incandescent bulbs. If not, the problem will return. When incandescent bulbs get old their resistance goes up causing more draw on the given circuit. Eventually it become too much and the connector burns up. That is what you are seeing now.

#14 1 year ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

Have you converted this game over to LEDs yet?

I'm in the process of converting the game to LED, but was thinking to keep some of the incandescent bulbs because I think the visible ones look nicer than LEDs in this game. Everything under the playfield and in the back box will be LED though.

#15 1 year ago
Quoted from Frogroar:

I'm in the process of converting the game to LED, but was thinking to keep some of the incandescent bulbs because I think the visible ones look nicer than LEDs in this game. Everything under the playfield and in the back box will be LED though.

I recommend replacing all 44 and 555 incandescent bulbs with LEDs. There is an alternative option besides LEDs, which is Comet Pinball's SMD retro bullet bulbs. They look and produce the same amount of light as an incandescent, but are efficient as a LED bulb.

https://www.cometpinball.com/products/retro-smd-bullet-bulbs

#16 1 year ago
Quoted from Shogun00:

I recommend replacing all 44 and 555 incandescent bulbs with LEDs. There is an alternative option besides LEDs, which is Comet Pinball's SMD retro bullet bulbs. They look and produce the same amount of light as an incandescent, but are efficient as a LED bulb.
https://www.cometpinball.com/products/retro-smd-bullet-bulbs

Technically Comet SMDs are LEDs. The SM stands for surface mounted. The full name (in Comet’s case) is surface mounted light emitting diode. SMD is a manufacturing process that surface mounts different components to a PCB. The manufacturing process does make it a more reliable product. Comet and many other are using this process to make little light PCBs that fit within a pinball bulb. By no means does a SMD require a LED but in our pinball world it does. And yes, they are awesome.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Sandy Springs, GA
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 38.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 275.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Wanted
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 47.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 11.95
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 130.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/combining-idc-connectors- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.