You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0350.jpg
IMG_0351.jpg
IMG_0352.jpg
#1 8 years ago

I was fixing the light on my pop bumper on my Williams Black Knight (1982) and I lost the column with my pop bumper and targets (left and right upper field). There seems to be continuity from the wire to the board but I doubt its the board as its a new Kohout Board. I've been searching for any lose wires and cant find anything. Anyone have any suggestions? Does anyone know how to check the strobe wire to ground?
IMG_0352.JPGIMG_0352.JPG IMG_0351.JPGIMG_0351.JPGIMG_0350.JPGIMG_0350.JPG

#2 8 years ago
Quoted from RobinsonRK:

I was fixing the light on my pop bumper on my Williams Black Knight (1982) and I lost the column with my pop bumper and targets (left and right upper field).

With the power on or off?

Is the entire column out or just part of it? I presume we're talking about column 5?

If the entire column is out then remove the row and column connectors and put a bulb from any column pin to any row pin to test the board.

#3 8 years ago

Then double check the original IDC connectors at the CPU. You may have swapped the CPU, but did you recrimp/replace any connectors?

The lamp matrix on my BK drove me nuts until I finally just replaced the connectors with fresh.

#4 8 years ago

The Kohout boards have LED blocks that light up for each column. Does the associated column LED light up on the driver board? Is it stuck on or stuck off?

That will help tell you driver board problem or playfield problem.

#5 8 years ago

Thanks. Yes the whole column is out. Mostly the game was off but I fear it was on for part of the repair as I was testing. No the led light does not light up on the Kohout board. Its stuck off for the corresponding column. Does that mean a fuse? (I hope). I looked at the fuses and didn't see anything wrong but was going to test them. Thanks for the replies.

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from RobinsonRK:

Thanks. Yes the whole column is out. Mostly the game was off but I fear it was on for part of the repair as I was testing. No the led light does not light up on the Kohout board. Its stuck off for the corresponding column. Does that mean a fuse? (I hope). I looked at the fuses and didn't see anything wrong but was going to test them. Thanks for the replies.

No. Unfortunately that means you likely have a problem in a driver circuit. I do not know at what point Kohout design implements the LED block, but somewhere between the PIA output and the TIP42 you likely have a bad component.

Maybe email the board manufacturer and see what they say.

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Ill try that. Im just at the one year on the board so maybe he'll fix it. When I think about it, the targets were slowly starting to fail. There was a lag in the registering of the downed targets that at first I thought was a loose wire but kept coming back and getting longer. Ill also look at the schematics that they sent with the boards.

2 weeks later
#8 8 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

No. Unfortunately that means you likely have a problem in a driver circuit. I do not know at what point Kohout design implements the LED block, but somewhere between the PIA output and the TIP42 you likely have a bad component.

Okay problem solved. It was the IC 11 (6821) gone bad. I sent it in to Jeff at Kohout and he switched it and sent it back. Almost did it myself but since it was still under warranty and I didnt have the chip I sent it in. I cant say enough about these boards. The ability to just simply switch out the chips is brilliant.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 1,059.00
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 53.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vista, CA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westjordan, UT
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/column-failure-black-knight and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.