Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 336 posts
  • 80 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by SeaLawyer
  • Topic is favorited by 70 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What is your favourite colour”

• Red 9 votes
      35%
    • Blue 9 votes
      35%
    • Green 2 votes
      8%
    • Yellow 2 votes
      8%
    • Puce - Oh, that's puce 4 votes
      15%
    • Goldenrod 0 votes
    • Teal 0 votes

(26 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0496 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0485 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0484 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0481 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0480 (resized).JPG
    IMG20170819143135 (resized).jpg
    IMG20170819143107 (resized).jpg
    IMG20170818214252 (resized).jpg
    IMG20170818214225 (resized).jpg
    IMG20170818214310 (resized).jpg
    IMG20170818214331 (resized).jpg
    IMG20170818214443 (resized).jpg
    IMG20170818214431 (resized).jpg
    IMG20170818214505 (resized).jpg
    new apron (resized).jpg
    apron (resized).jpg
    There are 336 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 7.
    #251 7 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Hi Mike,
    I received my 2 Aprons well packaged, and arriving safely!
    They simply are stunning, and I have creative thoughts playing around now....Very well made,
    and very good value for this!
    Tron looks phenomenal with the Blue Apron!
    A quick question, just to confirm Im not missing anything....zero hardware ships with the aprons?

Thanks for the feedback Art! I know you have high standards so I am relieved, haha.
    Mounting screws for the back are there, and the spacers for under the front brackets are there. A few people seem to be throwing the hardware baggy out with the packaging. It's taped to the front face of the apron and may be coming loose in transit and lying in the bottom of the inner plastic bag that surrounds the apron. I am going to start stapling the baggy to the invoice I think. My bad for not making it more obvious.

1 week later
    #252 7 years ago

Just wanted to give a big shout out to Time Bandit! Had a bit of a shipping snafu and he took full responsibility and went above and beyond to make it right. These aprons are beautiful, deal with confidence!

1 week later
    #253 7 years ago

IMG_1477 (resized).JPGIMG_1477 (resized).JPG

#255 7 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

That green apron looks tits man.

Thanks!

#256 7 years ago

Anybody put one of the blue ones in a GOT Premium? Do you transfer the decals from the orignal aprons or do people just get new ones?

#257 7 years ago

I just transferred the decals. They came off the original easy. I believe it was because of the texture.

#258 7 years ago
    Quoted from jathomp22:

Do you transfer the decals from the orignal aprons or do people just get new ones?

Sterns apron decals are super easy to lift and transfer, just get a flat ideally round end blade, I use a casualty knife out of my fire kit at work and slide it under an edge, they lift off perfectly every time.

#259 7 years ago

Yup what they said BUT you may never get them off the plastic one once their on. Anyone try that yet?

#260 7 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Yup what they said BUT you may never get them off the plastic one once their on. Anyone try that yet?

They come off fine.

#261 7 years ago

And besides, who uses decals any more? Etch and edge-light the lift panel. Obviously with artwork better than this. I was just checking out the effect. I'm going to get a whole panel etched with images and rule cards. And get a nice mounting channel for the led strip along the rear edge.

IMG20161126214354 (resized).jpgIMG20161126214354 (resized).jpg
    IMG20161126214324 (resized).jpgIMG20161126214324 (resized).jpg

#262 7 years ago

whoa I'm in for one of those when you get the etching figured out. Maybe you could print something on the diffuser instead? Quorra on one side, Gem on the other? Or Lightcycle/Recognizer? Really like the penmanship tho

#264 7 years ago
    Quoted from TimeBandit:

And besides, who uses decals any more? Etch and edge-light the lift panel. Obviously with artwork better than this. I was just checking out the effect. I'm going to get a whole panel etched with images and rule cards. And get a nice mounting channel for the led strip along the rear edge.

Oh man now your talkin.....but the extra cost of laser etching. It would be done from the underside right?

#265 7 years ago
    Quoted from Erik:

whoa I'm in for one of those when you get the etching figured out. Maybe you could print something on the diffuser instead? Quorra on one side, Gem on the other? Or Lightcycle/Recognizer? Really like the penmanship tho

I don't think I'll be supplying etched panels. But I will show anything I work out so others can do it. The etching is on the removable panel, so pretty easy to take to a third party for processing. I can supply spare panels.

#266 7 years ago

Ah I see. Well I'm a buyer for someone taking on etching duties. Laseriffic ?

#267 7 years ago

the etching looks very cool, great idea

#268 7 years ago

Purple apron

IMG_6730 (resized).JPGIMG_6730 (resized).JPG

#269 7 years ago

Would that etching work on the non-translucent panels? I really like the effect but would prefer not to see the innards.

This hobby has just moved into the Danger Zone and I feel like Goose right before pulling the eject lever.

#270 7 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

Would that etching work on the non-translucent panels? I really like the effect but would prefer not to see the innards.

Firstly, definitions, just to prevent confusion..
    Translucent = cloudy.
    Transparent = crystal clear(can be tinted)

Use two panels. Translucent at the bottom to hide innards, etched clear next to catch the edge-light.

IMG20161127113741 (resized).jpgIMG20161127113741 (resized).jpg

#271 7 years ago
    Quoted from TimeBandit:

Firstly, definitions, just to prevent confusion..
    Translucent = cloudy.
    Transparent = crystal clear(can be tinted)
    Use two panels. Translucent at the bottom to hide innards, etched clear next to catch light.

Thanks for the definitions. My brain was grinding the gears trying to find the right word tonight. I knew it didn't sound right but I went with it anyway.

btw, Still waiting on a dark green.

#272 7 years ago

I like the translucent ones without any sketching and without the card holes. Who uses cards anyway? Great clean look, you can do your own decals on that.

#273 7 years ago
    Quoted from PeterG:

I like the translucent ones without any sketching and without the card holes. Who uses cards anyway? Great clean look, you can do your own decals on that.

I'm definitely going to be doing batches without card holes. It's hard to know how many people really want the card holders there. I figured err on the side of original design.
    Here's what a red tint looks like on TWD..

IMG20161127152011 (resized).jpgIMG20161127152011 (resized).jpg

#274 7 years ago

Well you can always put the cards on there with some double sided tape if you really want them on it.

#275 7 years ago

On some of my metal apron games I made the cards bigger to cover the slots and put them on that magnetic stuff. Works great.

#276 7 years ago

I am getting the front retainer brackets made and will be offering them as an add-on. They will be the same price or less than those I can see at places that stock them. I will leave them optional, as not every user will want to install them, but enough guys are asking about them to get it done.

#277 7 years ago
    Quoted from Erik:

Ah I see. Well I'm a buyer for someone taking on etching duties. laseriffic ?

What are these made out of? By the looks of the Tron etch it's not acrylic, petg, polycarb etc will not etch nicely it just burns/ melts it up.

#278 7 years ago
    Quoted from TimeBandit:

I'm definitely going to be doing batches without card holes

Yes , thats better...

#279 7 years ago

Im playing with all kinds of lighting, decal, and affects on mine.

If I succeed, I would be in for no card slots on the Apron.....

Love the Quality on these!!!

#280 7 years ago
    Quoted from Laseriffic:

What are these made out of? By the looks of the Tron etch it's not acrylic, petg, polycarb etc will not etch nicely it just burns/ melts it up.

It's acrylic.

#281 7 years ago

Is it cast or extruded? How was Tron etched?

#282 7 years ago
    Quoted from Laseriffic:

Is it cast or extruded? How was Tron etched?

Cast. With an engraver, so it's pretty crap to look at. but this was just to test the lighting.

#283 7 years ago

If it's cast I would be able to etch anything someone would want on top or on bottom.

#284 7 years ago
    Quoted from Laseriffic:

If it's cast I would be able to etch anything someone would want on top or on bottom.

That's pretty cool.

#285 7 years ago

I would love to have a blue translucent one for my Tron - one without card holes.
    And a Purple one for my GB. Also translucent no holes.

You tested the purple and the green on GB which one is better?

Are these ready to order somewhere?

1 month later
    #286 7 years ago

What colors are still available?

#287 7 years ago
    Quoted from TKDalumni:

What colors are still available?

The website shows which colours are in stock. There is special pricing on the website now to clear out a bit of stock so I can reorder.

redshiftled.com.au/new-store.php#!/Coloured-and-Tinted-Aprons/c/20884012/offset=0&sort=normal

#288 7 years ago

Did you ever have dark green? I missed them if you did.

#289 7 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

Did you ever have dark green? I missed them if you did.

Not yet. They will be in the reorder.

#290 7 years ago

A little surprised this thread is not swamped with pictures of people showing off their apron. Its a great product where frankly speaking Stern missed an opportunity and Timebandit jumped in the hole they left. Thanks again, I really enjoy it

1 month later
    #291 7 years ago

So forgive me for being an idiot Mike, but in order to install the retainer brackets, I'll have to measure & drill 6 holes into the playfield? Cue cold sweat.....

I couldn't find an installation video, so any tips for drilling? Not even sure which screws to use. I've got some #8 9/16 screws here, hoping that works. Suggestion on the drill bit size? I just don't want to create a crack in the clearcoat.

And yes I hotglued the diffuser onto the apron. I asked my dog for advice but he wasn't much help.

#292 7 years ago

Also looking for bulb mounting position suggestions. These 4 bulbs are tied into the total lightshow strings, 2 on the red string & 2 on the blue string. I was hoping to mount them symmetrically under the apron, but options are limited if I want them pointed straight up at the diffuser panel.

IMG_1157 (resized).JPGIMG_1157 (resized).JPG

#293 7 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

So forgive me for being an idiot Mike, but in order to install the retainer brackets, I'll have to measure & drill 6 holes into the playfield? Cue cold sweat.....
    I couldn't find an installation video, so any tips for drilling? Not even sure which screws to use. I've got some #8 9/16 screws here, hoping that works. Suggestion on the drill bit size? I just don't want to create a crack in the clearcoat.
    And yes I hotglued the diffuser onto the apron. I asked my dog for advice but he wasn't much help.

Yes, drilling is required (but only the same as the factory used to do when they used these types of brackets). Take your time and measure carefully. Use some double sided tape to hold the brackets in place while test fitting the apron, then you can use the taped bracket as a template. The spacer is going to press down on the area once fitted so the edges around the holes are well covered.
    Drill size? Haven't checked but the same or slightly smaller than the shaft of the screws you're using.

#294 7 years ago

I bought two of these, blue for my Tron and orange for my Metallica. They are AWESOME and TimeBandit was awesome to work with and order from.

#295 7 years ago

Good idea with the double sided tape. Thanks mike

Where/how did you mount the bulb fixures under the apron?

#296 7 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Good idea with the double sided tape. Thanks mike
    Where/how did you mount the bulb fixures under the apron?

Ignore the tape measure. These photos were taken for another reason, but you can see the bulbs.
    IMG20161114085139 (resized).jpgIMG20161114085139 (resized).jpg
    IMG20161114085144 (resized).jpgIMG20161114085144 (resized).jpg

IMG20161117093048 (resized).jpgIMG20161117093048 (resized).jpg
    IMG20161117092231 (resized).jpgIMG20161117092231 (resized).jpg
    IMG20161117092732 (resized).jpgIMG20161117092732 (resized).jpg

#297 7 years ago

Hmmmm. Led strip is a good idea. Pretty sure comet sells those.

I assume you still get the total lightshow fading effects when using a strip? I tried putting some 5 sided 6.3V bulbs, but they wouldn't fade. So I'll throw some comet twin 2835 SMD bulbs in there for now. If not bright enough I'll go with the strip.

Very helpful. Thanks mike.

#298 7 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

assume you still get the total lightshow fading effects when using a strip?

Yep.

#299 7 years ago

Turned out well, really happy I finally did this! Those retainer brackets are really the way to go. Drilling into the playfield was painless, and it provided a good spot to mount the bulbs when I added a spacer & used a longer screw. Apron feels solid now when lifting the playfield. I also had the extra wiring for the "under the flipper assembly" install, but just simply plugged wires into the connectors & mounted the bulbs.

Not the best video, but you get the idea. Mugsy seems to approve. Now onto the spinner install

IMG_1159 (resized).JPGIMG_1159 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1160 (resized).JPGIMG_1160 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1161 (resized).JPGIMG_1161 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1163 (resized).JPGIMG_1163 (resized).JPG

#300 7 years ago

Great idea putting the bulbs on the bracket!

There are 336 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/coloured-and-tinted-aprons/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.