Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 336 posts
  • 80 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by SeaLawyer
  • Topic is favorited by 70 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What is your favourite colour”

• Red 9 votes
      35%
    • Blue 9 votes
      35%
    • Green 2 votes
      8%
    • Yellow 2 votes
      8%
    • Puce - Oh, that's puce 4 votes
      15%
    • Goldenrod 0 votes
    • Teal 0 votes

(26 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0496 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0485 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0484 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0481 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0480 (resized).JPG
    IMG20170819143135 (resized).jpg
    IMG20170819143107 (resized).jpg
    IMG20170818214252 (resized).jpg
    IMG20170818214225 (resized).jpg
    IMG20170818214310 (resized).jpg
    IMG20170818214331 (resized).jpg
    IMG20170818214443 (resized).jpg
    IMG20170818214431 (resized).jpg
    IMG20170818214505 (resized).jpg
    new apron (resized).jpg
    apron (resized).jpg
    There are 336 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 7.
    #51 7 years ago

Question for ya Bandit, why doesn't the plastic come down on the left side of your apron, it does on the right? I would think your are losing some strength there and some of the color effect especially when using flashers under it.

#52 7 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Question for ya Bandit, why doesn't the plastic come down on the left side of your apron, it does on the right? I would think your are losing some strength there and some of the color effect especially when using flashers under it.

Went back and forth on that. You have to give clearance for the flipper button. There are also issues with it being a short face (top to bottom) which makes the bend difficult for manufacture. Cost/benefit/risk/reward landed in favour of no side panel. There is no strength issue there. The issue with playfield lift is the point right at the front where you lift it. Those bends for the front faces, where they meet the large radius cut, concentrate a bunch of stress, like the corners of airliner windows, and cracks can appear right in the corner when load is applied. You CAN lift the playfield, and most of the time it's ok, but I'm just going to say right from the get go that it is not rated for it, and suggest alternate lifting strategies. I also thought long and hard over that, and realised that while I do lift my playfield a lot, I play my machine hundreds of more times than I open it up, so looks are winning over function here, too.

#53 7 years ago

Here is a quick look at the 6mm I used for fit and lift testing. You get the idea.

#54 7 years ago

Love the orange on Metallica. would love to use an orange for GOT too.....

#55 7 years ago

That plastic looks really thick. I'm not sure there should be any worry of breaking it.

#56 7 years ago

So cool. A thick blue one for Tron would be very nice. That clear one is pretty awesome too.

#57 7 years ago

Watching, MM in Orange... Daydreaming!

#58 7 years ago
    Quoted from TimeBandit:

Here is a quick look at the 6mm I used for fit and lift testing. You get the idea.
    » YouTube video

Apron looks amazing. Nice work.

#59 7 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

That plastic looks really thick. I'm not sure there should be any worry of breaking it.

6mm is fine. It's way harder to source than 3mm though, and has less colour choice, is more labour intensive to bend and will be significantly more expensive as a finished product. 6mm version will be rated for playfield lift.

#60 7 years ago
    Quoted from TimeBandit:

6mm is fine. It's way harder to source than 3mm though, and has less colour choice, is more labour intensive to bend and will be significantly more expensive as a finished product. 6mm version will be rated for playfield lift.

Hmmmmm now if you could get game images where the triangles are (like the triangle windows of an LE) laser etched from the underside.

#61 7 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Hmmmmm now if you could get game images where the triangles are (like the triangle windows of an LE) laser etched from the underside.

Yep. Was thinking that early on, but it gets into the realm of taste and then copyrighted imagery. So, totally awesome idea for people to get it done. They will be coming from me blank. I will definitely be trying out some etching options for myself.

#62 7 years ago

Sounds like a lot of negatives with 6mm material. Looks pretty good to me and like the added strength. What's the cost difference?

#63 7 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

What's the cost difference?

I haven't worked out final costs yet. Almost locked down the 6mm supplier, but not fully quoted yet. I should know final numbers by end of the week.

#64 7 years ago

I'm so impressed with these! Great job!!!

#65 7 years ago

I am a fan, would love some, I have some ideas of what I could do with these.. lots of possibilities, excited to see colors offered.

#66 7 years ago

Any chance of these being made for WMS/Bally games?

#67 7 years ago
    Quoted from robotron911:

Any chance of these being made for WMS/Bally games?

Yes. Not sure if it's 100%, but certainly investigating.

#68 7 years ago
    Quoted from TimeBandit:

Yes. Not sure if it's 100%, but certainly investigating.

I hope so, my BOP, HS2 and Space Station would look cool with them on. All my Stern game aprons are blinged out so that just leaves those 3.

#69 7 years ago
    Quoted from foureyedcharlie:

Love the orange on Metallica. would love to use an orange for GOT too.....

Yes my met is done in orange translucent super bands and this orange apron would be awesome!!!

#70 7 years ago

Great work TB, very interested in these.

#71 7 years ago

Would it help shipping costs any to pool a few together and group order, or are they going to be in individual custom boxes anyway and that won't matter?

#72 7 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Would it help shipping costs any to pool a few together and group order, or are they going to be in individual custom boxes anyway and that won't matter?

Shipping will all be on weight, and as each unit is more than a single shipping bracket of 500g, combining won't help in this case. You might be able to get 10 for 8 or something like that due to rounding, but not going to be worth the effort. And, yes, they'll be individually boxed too. Best way to cut shipping is get a distributor and sea-freight a bunch over. 6mm feed-stock supplier looks good, so I should have some 6mm samples to show in 2-3 weeks. I think the first run of 3mm will be done by next week.

#73 7 years ago
    Quoted from TimeBandit:

6mm feed-stock supplier looks good, so I should have some 6mm samples to show in 2-3 weeks.

What colors were you able to get?

#74 7 years ago

IMG20160821122244_(resized).jpgIMG20160821122244_(resized).jpg
    IMG20160821122232_(resized).jpgIMG20160821122232_(resized).jpg
    IMG20160821122123_(resized).jpgIMG20160821122123_(resized).jpg
    IMG20160821122202_(resized).jpgIMG20160821122202_(resized).jpg

#75 7 years ago

That's gonna look great with flashers under it. If I didn't have a chrome one all ready I'd get that blue for my Pro.

#77 7 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

What colors were you able to get?

More than I thought actually. Some translucents as well as transparent.

#78 7 years ago
    Quoted from TimeBandit:

More than I thought actually. Some translucents as well as transparent.

Interesting.

#79 7 years ago

Which color looks best on Met?
    Orange
    Green
    Purple

#80 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rickwh:

Orange
    Green
    Purple

This man is asking the important questions.

#81 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rickwh:

Orange
    Green
    Purple

I have a red original look one on my Refinery Pro and that looks great.

#82 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rickwh:

Orange
    Green
    Purple

Get all three. Switch 'em up.

#83 7 years ago
    Quoted from TimeBandit:

Get all three. Switch 'em up.

Hahaha.

Purple apron for met pro,
    spiderman total lightshow,
    Additional harness to do the lane returns on my met pro.

Take my money!!! Send me a big box of goodness!

#84 7 years ago

I'm in for 3 for sure. I'd rather wait for the heavy duty aprons because I like to drink beer and fix my games. Knowing me, I'd forget and lift the thin apron, breaking the plastic and probably spilling my beer. And that's the real tragedy.

#85 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rickwh:

Orange
    Green
    Purple

Not sure.

DSC00037 (resized).JPGDSC00037 (resized).JPG
    DSC00038 (resized).JPGDSC00038 (resized).JPG
    DSC00039 (resized).JPGDSC00039 (resized).JPG

#86 7 years ago

For me easy choice, went with the orange theme for leds protectors so orange it is for me. No question about it

#87 7 years ago

those look really cool.

#88 7 years ago
    Quoted from TimeBandit:

Not sure.

» YouTube video

I think im leaning orange... is that purple in the YT link with the diffuser?

#89 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rickwh:

I think im leaning orange... is that purple in the YT link with the diffuser?

Yes, but the diffuser is redundant. That purple is a translucent rather than a transparent, so native diffusion. It depends how you want it to look when not lit from underneath. The translucents will have a more solid colour in a lit room/daylight, but will still light up nicely.

#90 7 years ago

You cant go wrong in orange or purple

#91 7 years ago

Are these ready for delivery yet?

They're awful pretty!

-Brian

#92 7 years ago

That purple is going to look great on my MET!

#93 7 years ago

Any chance of reselling these through cointaker or pinballlife? Shipping from au is a killer.
    Cool product been asking for them since transformers LE for my Stern games. I am defiantly in for several.

#94 7 years ago

Orange with a rising cross mechanism in same shipment Perfect combo

#95 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rensh:

Orange with a rising cross mechanism in same shipment Perfect combo

What is the rising cross mechanism? Is it for MET pro?

#96 7 years ago
    Quoted from Strummy:

What is the rising cross mechanism? Is it for MET pro?

Yes. Total Lightshow drives the cross mech as well as the colour GI. Replacement cross mechs are too expensive to get people interested in buying them. I am making an alternative mechanism. It's not ready yet.

#97 7 years ago
    Quoted from TimeBandit:

Not sure.

» YouTube video

I really like that apron sticker without the epilepsy warning. It looks so much better.

#98 7 years ago
    Quoted from TimeBandit:

Yes. Total Lightshow drives the cross mech as well as the colour GI. Replacement cross mechs are too expensive to get people interested in buying them. I am making an alternative mechanism. It's not ready yet.

Sounds cool. Will Total Lightshow be the only way to drive the alternative cross mechanism? I briefly looked at some info on the lightshow but am still curious about it. Do any playfield alterations need to be made in order to install the extra 9 leds?

#99 7 years ago
    Quoted from Strummy:

Do any playfield alterations need to be made in order to install the extra 9 leds?

No. Most new sockets screw straight back into the holes left by removed factory sockets. Some bulb holes that are not used in the pro but are used on the premium need a pilot drilled.

#100 7 years ago

Any idea of when the cross mechanism will be ready and a rough idea of the cost? I'd rather have one shipment coming from overseas.

There are 336 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/coloured-and-tinted-aprons/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.