Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 336 posts
  • 80 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by SeaLawyer
  • Topic is favorited by 70 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What is your favourite colour”

• Red 9 votes
      35%
    • Blue 9 votes
      35%
    • Green 2 votes
      8%
    • Yellow 2 votes
      8%
    • Puce - Oh, that's puce 4 votes
      15%
    • Goldenrod 0 votes
    • Teal 0 votes

(26 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0496 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0485 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0484 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0481 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0480 (resized).JPG
    IMG20170819143135 (resized).jpg
    IMG20170819143107 (resized).jpg
    IMG20170818214252 (resized).jpg
    IMG20170818214225 (resized).jpg
    IMG20170818214310 (resized).jpg
    IMG20170818214331 (resized).jpg
    IMG20170818214443 (resized).jpg
    IMG20170818214431 (resized).jpg
    IMG20170818214505 (resized).jpg
    new apron (resized).jpg
    apron (resized).jpg
    There are 336 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.
    #1 7 years ago

Edit.. The 3mm version is rated for playfield lift if a diffuser panel or clear lift panel is installed. The 6mm version mentioned in this opening post is not being produced due to excessive cost.

Coming soon to redshiftLED, coloured aprons in solid, translucent and tinted acrylic. There will be two versions. A 3mm thickness version that is NOT rated for playfield lift. Impact and wear are fine, but lifting will put too much stress on some of the sharper bend intersections that may then crack. There is a super strong 6mm version that frankly looks like an art installation at the MoMA. They are gorgeous, and are fine for playfield lift. They will be in fewer colours, will be more expensive, and may not even happen due to the minimum sheet quantity I have to order.
    For lighting purposes there will be an optional diffuser panel that is the same shape as the top surface of the apron and can be easily glued underneath, with glue spots where your cards go.
    They will fit pro or premium Sterns. On a pro, take out the current apron mounting posts and screw the new one into the playfield hooks at the bottom end of the playfield. If you have apron mounting feet as on Whitestar machines, then you will use a 3mm spacer to lift those feet to line up with the slots on these aprons that are a bit higher, or just remove the feet completely. You will not need them as you will not be lifting your playfield using this apron.
    This is not a launch per se, but here are some pics. More will follow next week some time.
    Price will not be more than US$75.

IMG20160730221231_(resized).jpgIMG20160730221231_(resized).jpg
    IMG20160730221344_(resized).jpgIMG20160730221344_(resized).jpg
    IMG20160730221501_(resized).jpgIMG20160730221501_(resized).jpg
    IMG20160730221436_(resized).jpgIMG20160730221436_(resized).jpg
    IMG20160730221327_(resized).jpgIMG20160730221327_(resized).jpg
    IMG20160730221421_(resized).jpgIMG20160730221421_(resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

Here is an orange with diffuser panel installed on my Met Pro.

With diffuser panel..

Without diffuser panel..

#3 7 years ago

I like it, very nice. I will buy a few. Describe the lighting hookups plz.

#4 7 years ago
    Quoted from modfather:

Describe the lighting hookups plz.

The lighting in the video is being driven by Total Lightshow. I have screwed some sockets into the gaps in the playfield under the apron and connected them to the GI strings that are driving the colour GI. I have just stuck some standard white bulbs in there.

#5 7 years ago

Very nice!

#6 7 years ago

OK , cool
    so how much AUD$?

#7 7 years ago

I like 'em. This will give me a reason to shift my PR lighted red apron over to my AC/DC and pop one of these bad boys in! Keep production moving along TBandit

#8 7 years ago

Color me intrigued!

#9 7 years ago

Very nice! I would like to Purchase.!!

#10 7 years ago

Oh my God, AMAZING!!!! where can I buy these!

#11 7 years ago

Nice! Hope you're able to get a run of 6mm as I'd be interested. Please feel free to DM me if/when you do!

#12 7 years ago

Metallica purple would be awesome. Love the idea these should sell like hot cakes.

#13 7 years ago

So funny bc me and the wife were looking into get these made after looking for a while for the red translucent one for our walking dead ...only to find them for 150 -200 bucks which is way to much but they are special made bc of the crossbow mech.. Glad you got it done allready and i will b purchasing them for all my stern pins .

#14 7 years ago

Will you be able to offer a light harness kit for Spike,Sam ect....?

#15 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinzzz:

Will you be able to offer a light harness kit for Spike,Sam ect....?

Yes indeedy. Haven't designed it yet, but won't be too hard.

#16 7 years ago

Will these fit sega? Independence Day to be exact... If so sign me up for darker blue

#17 7 years ago

Take my money !!!!

I love translucent aprons very much. Couple of months ago Steve Ritchie got me a red one for my acdc premium and this is so great addition with flashers below it. Told him than already this would be a moneymaker for stern. Glad timebandit picked it up

#18 7 years ago
    Quoted from TimeBandit:

Yes indeedy. Haven't designed it yet, but won't be too hard.

Sweet!

#19 7 years ago

Very nice, I like it

#20 7 years ago

TimeBandit you did it again, ANOTHER great product. I'll take a thick red with a diffuser for my T3. I know your just getting started with this but have you given any thought of making them for older games like BoP, Space Station or Space Shuttle?

#21 7 years ago

Ill take one in every color

#22 7 years ago

Very cool. I'm definitely interested in two for my Stern games. Love to MET in different colors like purple and green. I like the idea of the thicker version. Seems like that would be the way to go for max strength. Is the only downside cost?

#23 7 years ago

Take my money

images-2_(resized).jpgimages-2_(resized).jpg

#24 7 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

Is the only downside cost?

No. Colour availability and lead time. I cannot find a supplier of 6mm tint that will sell in batches less than 18 sheets. That's enough material for 250 aprons. And it takes 2-3 months for delivery. I will probably end up only doing one or two really popular colours in the 6mm, like red and red.

#25 7 years ago
    Quoted from TimeBandit:like red and red.

Love the idea, but I'm out because I don't like red, and I know it's going to take all of about 10 days before I open up a game and forget that I can't pick it up by an apron without breaking it.. /facepalm

#26 7 years ago
    Quoted from wierdeer:

Will these fit sega? Independence Day to be exact... If so sign me up for darker blue

I assume by white star you are referring to sega?

#27 7 years ago
    Quoted from TimeBandit:

No. Colour availability and lead time. I cannot find a supplier of 6mm tint that will sell in batches less than 18 sheets. That's enough material for 250 aprons. And it takes 2-3 months for delivery. I will probably end up only doing one or two really popular colours in the 6mm, like red and red.

Have you thought about making them in clear and dyeing them like freeplay40 is trying on his ramps

#28 7 years ago

dibs

#29 7 years ago
    Quoted from wierdeer:

I assume by white star you are referring to sega?

No, Sterns like TSPP and LOTR etc. I haven't seen the apron mounting on Sega. I wonder if it just carried over to Stern or if they redesigned it. Just post a pic of your Sega apron mounting and I can tell you.

#30 7 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

I open up a game and forget that I can't pick it up by an apron without breaking it.. /facepalm

That's why I'm sourcing a rubber mount to replace the screws. If you lift it up, the rubber will give and save the apron.

#31 7 years ago
    Quoted from TimeBandit:

That's why I'm sourcing a rubber mount to replace the screws. If you lift it up, the rubber will give and save the apron.

Perfect I'm in.

#32 7 years ago
    Quoted from TimeBandit:

No, Sterns like TSPP and LOTR etc. I haven't seen the apron mounting on Sega. I wonder if it just carried over to Stern or if they redesigned it. Just post a pic of your Sega apron mounting and I can tell you.

I'm not any where near my machine and won't be for a while maybe someone else can chime in on the mounts.... My apron is black plastic

#33 7 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Love the idea, but I'm out because I don't like red, and I know it's going to take all of about 10 days before I open up a game and forget that I can't pick it up by an apron without breaking it.. /facepalm

That's exactly what I was thinking. I've always lifted playfields using the apron.

#34 7 years ago

Glue thumbtacks to the bottom center of the apron.

#35 7 years ago

Can you get the lolipop purple for Metallica?

1 week later
    #36 7 years ago

Almost two weeks and no updates on these...I am starting to go through withdrawals.

#37 7 years ago

Mikey Mike will pull thru with the good that I am sure

#38 7 years ago
    Quoted from Budfan:

Almost two weeks and no updates on these...I am starting to go through withdrawals.

First production run ordered and paid for. No stopping it now. Some special colours coming too. I've also bought nearly a grand worth of new decals from Stern to show them populated and in games.

#39 7 years ago

Super interested. Approximately how much to ship to the USA?

#40 7 years ago

I want a few. These are awesome.

#41 7 years ago

Wow, nice work man, those look sweet. How are you suggesting people lift their playfield without using the apron? I'm not in front of a game right now, but that's how I always do it, so having trouble picturing an alt method.

Wonder if there's some kind of system that could install under the diffuser panel to take the strain instead.

#42 7 years ago

You would have to push up from inside the coin door. I have not tried that yet. My new MET is pretty tight. You really have to tug to pop the playfield up. I don't think I could push that one up from the inside.

Another question - is it possible to transfer the apron decals? Where do you get new decals? Stern?

#43 7 years ago

man stern really screwed up those metallica decals with the seizure warnings, i much prefer mine on the 2013 release.. aprons are great but its a bummer to have to downgrade to that sticker with an upgraded apron

#44 7 years ago

Very nice. Waiting for the official launch announcement so I can buy some!

#45 7 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Wonder if there's some kind of system that could install under the diffuser panel to take the strain instead.

I could imagine you could run a thin strap screwed in the from the bottom onto the top. I'd probably try a piece of tyvek, its has strong tinsel strength and is thin and the top end could tuck nicely in a number of places out of sight. Maybe a small grommet on the bottom to keep it from tearing.

#46 7 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

You would have to push up from inside the coin door. I have not tried that yet. My new MET is pretty tight. You really have to tug to pop the playfield up. I don't think I could push that one up from the inside.

I always lift my playfield from the metal bracket on the ball launch since my xmen apron is plastic. Theres also a metal tab you can hold onto under the drain. Cant wait to get my hands on one of these!

#47 7 years ago

I've lifted mine lots of times under the playfield, reaching through the coin door. Haven't you guys ever had the apron off and needed to lift the playfield? Although this is easy to do consciously, I can see where subconsciously lifting by the apron could be a problem.

#48 7 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

How are you suggesting people lift their playfield without using the apron?

Through coin door, hands under the service rails or pegs. Once up a couple of inches and clear of the cabinet, one hand comes out of the coin door and takes the playfield under the front edge. Other then follows, and continue as normal.

#49 7 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

Another question - is it possible to transfer the apron decals?

I moved my Metallica decals four times before I separated one from its backing, and I was being careless even when I did. I did have some issue with a LOTR plunger gauge decal curling a bit, but again, was being a little hasty.

#50 7 years ago
    Quoted from Starwriter:

I can see where subconsciously lifting by the apron could be a problem.

I'm seriously trying to come up with a way to put some give in the mounting screws. Make them rubber rivets or something, so that it safely bends at the mounting point if you forget.

There are 336 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/coloured-and-tinted-aprons and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.