(Topic ID: 121490)

Coloring old backbox bolts and hinges

By TheRingMaster

9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider theringmaster.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

Hi!

When restoring games I always end up buying new bolts for the backbox, coin door, PF hinges and sometimes even the backbox hinges (the metal plates).

Ive tried painting them and the result is allright but it would be nice if there were some other way. Ive heard somewhere people put the bolts in some solution, maybe acid or something, and that gave the bolts a good black color which was nearly spot on the original.

Thinking about it some I thought maybe the bolts and hinges etc. are not even painted from the factory but rather dipped in some nasty stuff that turned them black. If you look closely on some bolts that are not rusted or otherwise worn the color seem to be black/brownish rather than solid black.

I did some searching on the net and found that for industrial use they do something like this to make bolts and other machine parts black and to get them somewhat protected against corrosion.
    Also found that there is a method called "blueing" that you use on guns to make them black/blueish.
    (heres a link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluing_%28steel%29)

So, have anyone on here tried any method like these or maybe someones good at chemistry and can come up with some magical recipe for a solution in which you can put your backbox bolts and hinges to make them look brand new without having to sand them forever and spray paint them?

/ Andy

#3 9 years ago

Yeah thats the way to go if you decide to paint them. But im curious about this other method.. I was thinking maybe its easier (not so much work) to just let them cook in a bath for a while, take em out and let em dry.

#7 9 years ago

Hm.. I will do some more investigation.. from your tips! It would be very nice if the hinges where possible to fix in a similar way. Ive painted some but its a lot of work and a bit messy, the old coating that may be poisonous and all. I will report back if I find any solution!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider theringmaster.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/coloring-old-backbox-bolts-and-hinges?tu=theringmaster and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.