Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Crash
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Crash.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Who has used color matched incandescents for inserts? Does it make that much of a difference appearance wise? And because they are color matched would the longer lasting/cooler burning 47s still be just as noticeable due to the deep color? I may consider trying this on one or two of our location games. And before anyone suggests LEDs, I'm not prepared to spend $200 per game on an LED OCD board plus the cost of quality LEDs.

#9 6 years ago

I like the sharpie suggestion. I have like 300 clear bulbs people sent me for free from LED conversions and using sharpies to color some of these vs. buying even more sounds like a good idea.

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

I used colored incandescent for year before LEDs were available. I did things like the chase lights on the Creature ramp with little greens up to those crystal clear inserts in LOTR. What I did with LOTR was try pick a color for the race (Human, Hobbit...) and pair them that way. I have a shoe box full of colored #47 and #555. But I also have colored bulb condoms. Then you can get a better yellows.

I bet that was fun. Here's what Nimblepin did with colored lamps in the inserts of his Iron Man 5 years ago. I dig it!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nimblepins-im-before-and-after-and-eventually-after-that-p

Here's a bizarre idea. For colored GI maybe it would make sense to sharpie one half of a bulb one color and color the other half another? This would allow you to better color match around the playfield art.

1 year later
    #16 5 years ago

Here's a video of doing this with Christmas lights:

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Crash.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colored-incandescent-lamps?tu=Crash and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.