3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by ryanbrooks
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

So I pulled the ColorDMD form my TSPP and went to install it in WCS. Downloaded the firmware (older version Rev 1.3a ColorDMD) and it wouldn’t recognize that I inserted the usb drive. The PROG light never flashed or anything to start the download. I love tried multiple usb sticks, a couple computers, and 3 different games. All with the same results, not being able to program the new game rom. The outer usb connectors measure 4.7v and have continuity onto the board. I’m completely at a loss here. When I put the dmd in Simpson’s it downloaded the rom just fine. Now nothing.

If you pull and install a usb drive a few tunes
    Sometimes the PROG light will blink twice but that’s the only life it seems to have.

#2 3 years ago

Is the file name correct (colordmd.rom)?

Is the USB formatted for FAT32?

#3 3 years ago

Yes to both. I talked to Randy at ColorDMD and I’m going to send the board to him. Hopefully it’s fixable

#4 3 years ago

I had to try soooo many different USB sticks. I think i used 6 before I found one that worked. I just about gave up and sent it back. I don't know what the deal with compatibility of USB sticks and ColorDMD is, but it's definitely annoying and should be fixed on their end. I think the stick that finally worked was one of those freebies that you get at a convention. I have no idea why it was any different, but everything was formatted the same, named the same. There was no rhyme or reason.

This is also one of the reasons that I went with a Pin2DMD in my WhiteWater. That was cheaper and as easy as could be. I didn't feel like going through the same ordeal again, and i don't know where that one drive that worked went.

#5 3 years ago

My experience is completely 180 degrees from this. I've got/had 14-15 ColorDMDs and never had an issue loading code into any of them. Also, never had any failures (knocking on wood) to date...

Jaz

Quoted from yaksplat:

I had to try soooo many different USB sticks. I think i used 6 before I found one that worked. I just about gave up and sent it back. I don't know what the deal with compatibility of USB sticks and ColorDMD is, but it's definitely annoying and should be fixed on their end. I think the stick that finally worked was one of those freebies that you get at a convention. I have no idea why it was any different, but everything was formatted the same, named the same. There was no rhyme or reason.
    This is also one of the reasons that I went with a Pin2DMD in my WhiteWater. That was cheaper and as easy as could be. I didn't feel like going through the same ordeal again, and i don't know where that one drive that worked went.

#6 3 years ago

I know that if you are a Mac user and download more than one file at a time or do not clear your download history the computer will auto assign suffix numbers to them.

Example:
    CHROMA.ROM
    CHROMA1.ROM
    CHROMA2.ROM
    CHROMA3.ROM

In that case you have to remove the suffix number from the file name or the DMD will not recognize it.

#7 3 years ago

I've dried downloading the files from different computers, on different usb drives and have the same results. double checking that the file names are correct each times. I've tried cheap usb drives and name brand. all the same results. Hopefully Randy can reflash it and get it up and running again.

#8 3 years ago

I've found that for best results a smaller USB helps. Fat32 of course. Typically 4-8gb, but have used 64gb drives just fine. I always stick the USB in before switching on the power.

#9 3 years ago

I had a similar issue a few years ago and it required me to send the board in for repairs.

Your USB bootstrap is nerfed.

Contact Randy at ColorDMD.

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from Coindork:

I know that if you are a Mac user and download more than one file at a time or do not clear your download history the computer will auto assign suffix numbers to them.
    Example:
    CHROMA.ROM
    CHROMA1.ROM
    CHROMA2.ROM
    CHROMA3.ROM
    In that case you have to remove the suffix number from the file name or the DMD will not recognize it.

I’ve had this issue also but with a PC.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-will-not-recognize-usb- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.