New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 90518)

ColorDMD upgrade... yes/no?

By daniel0265

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 40 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by dug
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 9 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image-167.jpg
image-716.jpg
image-746.jpg
image-79.jpg
image-398.jpg
image-796.jpg
image.jpg
photo-265.JPG
image-310.jpg

#1 6 years ago

I have been debating hard and long about getting the ColorDMD for my POTC now that they have sigma for stern pins. I am confident that it's just a matter of time till they come out with the software for POTC but like their Q&A says, there is no garantee that by the time it comes out the current DMD will be compatible with it. So I also need to prepare myself that I may be stuck with Sigma on this pin as long as I have it for $399 and unfortunately plus CA sales tax since I live here... so is it still worth it? I sure can use some thoughts on it. I have read other posts on how people like it but the points I made out no one really talks about on the other posts.

#2 6 years ago

I would say no. Since there are no color roms available and no guarantees of any coming in the future plan on it being single color...and if you are ok with it being single color then just buy a color film filter or got a colored led DMD.

Just my advice. Good luck with your decision.

#3 6 years ago

yeah that's good advice ... what's is making me consider it is the nicer and clearer image quality on the colorDMD but like you said... single color and no guarantees and possible compatibility issues if it comes out in the distant future for $399 is a hard sell.

#4 6 years ago

$400 was worth it for Sigma on my machines. To each there own

#5 6 years ago

You can basically build a ColorDMD replacement with more customization options for less than 75% of the price.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/diy-addams-family-poor-mans-color-dmd

#6 6 years ago

Take a look at the Smart DMD thread..
You can colorize Stern games as opposed to mono color. You can just set basic color pallets (16 of them for Stern) or go nuts an colorize individual frames.

And yes..you can also set a number of different monotone colors if you want.

Cost is about $150ish for everything you need. If you have an old 15.6 LCD monitor laying around that will save ya about $100

Here's a glimps of what it looks like on Xmen. It's only a couple of seconds of video but you'll get the idea. Keep in mind this was a troubleshooting vid as the upscaling has a little glitch to it that has been fixed. This vid was only pallet changes and no custom frame coloring

#7 6 years ago

Actually Smart DMD is basically DMD Extender with lots more goodies. Good to see alternative display technology finally moving forward. We should've had LCD screens 15 years ago.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/smartdmd-dmd-interface-with-colors-upscaling-network-and-more

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from Monster_Bash:

You can colorize Stern games as opposed to mono color. You can just set basic color pallets (16 of them for Stern) or go nuts an colorize individual frames.

I didn't realize smartdmd let you colorize individual frames. Anybody actually bother to do that for a game yet? Everything I've seen so far is just the brightness levels remapped to colors and looks terrible.

#9 6 years ago

I have about 2/3s of FGY done. Pretty much all the characters are colored to match the show.

It's incredibly time consuming though. I'm hoping to have it done this month

It took 10-12 hours just to colorize 'chicken fight'. Luckily Oga has added a couple of my requests to make it much faster

Here's what it looks like in the SmartDMD software. You can see the difference in the last 2-3 frames that aren't done yet

Quoted from epthegeek:

I didn't realize smartdmd let you colorize individual frames. Anybody actually bother to do that for a game yet? Everything I've seen so far is just the brightness levels remapped to colors and looks terrible.

#10 6 years ago

I have about 2/3s of FGY done. Pretty much all the characters are colored to match the show.
It took 10-12 hours just to colorize 'chicken fight'. Luckily Oga has added a couple of my requests to make it much faster
Here's what it looks like in the SmartDMD software. You can see the difference in the last 2-3 frames that aren't done yet
» YouTube video

That looks amazing.

But 10-12 hours just for the chicken fight... $150 + 75 hours(?) of your life to color a game right vs. $400 for Colordmd. I think I'll just give Colordmd my money.

Would love to colorize GnR or Metallica, but I can hardly find time to just PLAY the games. Hopefully it's not too long till those games get the color treatment.

Awesome stuff all you guys are doing.

#11 6 years ago

Metallica looks awesome just with the pallet change options. This is stock coloring and stock color pallet.

Unfortunately ColorDMD doesn't offer more than one color for Stern. So they really aren't an option for any Stern games

And yes..i have a lot of down time at work =)

Quoted from Pinstym:

That looks amazing.
But 10-12 hours just for the chicken fight... $150 + 75 hours(?) of your life to color a game right vs. $400 for Colordmd. I think I'll just give Colordmd my money.
Would love to colorize GnR or Metallica, but I can hardly find time to just PLAY the games. Hopefully it's not too long till those games get the color treatment.
Awesome stuff all you guys are doing.

#12 6 years ago

Nice job Monster Bash! Looking forward to some videos when you get these wrapped up

#13 6 years ago

Nice! I totally missed that capability. I'll have to check this out further.

#14 6 years ago

» YouTube video

That is awesome! Nice work!

#15 6 years ago

so if I take the smartDMD route I need to find a way to fit a 15.5 LCD in the back box?

#16 6 years ago

Here's what it looks like in the SmartDMD software. You can see the difference in the last 2-3 frames that aren't done yet.

Jamie, that looks great. Have you tried running the rerendered frames on the game? On WPC platforms, the precanned animations are often combined with text and dynamic elements that do not appear when browsing/playing back images in a ROM browser.

This created a lot of challenges for the ColorDMD on WPC games and I'm wondering if it's less of a problem with SmartDMD encoding with SAM. Any chance of capturing a video with it running on the game?

#17 6 years ago

I've ran the Xman stuff and it seemed to run fine with few custom colored scenes. I haven't loaded the custom ROM on FGY yet. Mostly because the game is packed away in storage while the basement gets finished.

I 'might' be able dig the game out this week and take a look. I will take a video for sure when that happens

I will say I have a whole new respect for the guys that do the custom dots. Xmen is just LOADED with content. FGY only really has 3 major scenes, Chicken Fight, Ipecac and the Dukes of Hazard car jump scene. My head exploded looking at Xmen

Quoted from Dmod:

Jamie, that looks great. Have you tried running the rerendered frames on the game? On WPC platforms, the precanned animations are often combined with text and dynamic elements that do not appear when browsing/playing back images in a ROM browser.

This created a lot of challenges for the ColorDMD on WPC games and I'm wondering if it's less of a problem with SmartDMD encoding with SAM. Any chance of capturing a video with it running on the game?

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

I'm curious about this too. I'd be interested in seeing a video of things in action.

#19 6 years ago

IMHO the 'poor man's color' palette swapping seems to work better with the older, 4-color games. With a little experimenting you can come up with something that works pretty sweet, I thought the red and yellow Jurassic Park was looking good, and the Stargate came out well too.

With the newer, 16-shade games like above it's just a little weird, feels like some old, bad Commodore 16 game or something. Too many chances for strange color clashes.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from daniel0265:

so is it still worth it?

I think so.....having the full colored version is nice, but just the Sigma looks great on many of the titles as well.

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

IMHO the 'poor man's color' palette swapping seems to work better with the older, 4-color games. With a little experimenting you can come up with something that works pretty sweet, I thought the red and yellow Jurassic Park was looking good, and the Stargate came out well too.
With the newer, 16-shade games like above it's just a little weird, feels like some old, bad Commodore 16 game or something. Too many chances for strange color clashes.

You don't like the psychadelic look?

The problem with palette reassignment is that it can easily become distracting and make the screen harder to recognize. This runs counter to what we're trying to achieve with the ColorDMD.

The four-color palettes that you liked (JP and Stargate) are really just black, white, and two other colors. If you watch the videos, even two contrasting colors can be disorienting when applied across all the animations and causes flashing when text is fading in/out.

After a lot of experimentation, my opinion is that the best looking palette assignments are monochromatic, or mostly monochromatic with a slight color or white shift. The palette still needs to run from dark to light as intended by the artist to avoid the weird flickering effects.

Shifted palette options are something that might work its way into a future release of SIGMA.

#22 6 years ago

Thanks for all the different opinions pinheads. I just clicked "pay now". I'll start with one and see how I like it before I spend as much on DMDs as I do on one pin.

#23 6 years ago

You will be very glad you did, I know I am:
image-310.jpg
The newest update added many new options including more colors, and everything looks crisper and sharper. They have been getting better and better with each update!

#24 6 years ago

Thanks, I sure hope so. I think dmod saw my post that I purchased it cuz he sent it out hrs after I mentioned that I just put my order in. Lol ..... On a side note I found it weird that I couldn't find a single picture or YouTube video of potc with a colordmd mod. That was one reason I was so iffy about it. Oh wells I'll post a pic once I do it.

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from daniel0265:

Thanks, I sure hope so. I think dmod saw my post that I purchased it cuz he sent it out hrs after I mentioned that I just put my order in. Lol ..... On a side note I found it weird that I couldn't find a single picture or YouTube video of potc with a colordmd mod. That was one reason I was so iffy about it. Oh wells I'll post a pic once I do it.

*shameless promotion ahead*

Any chance you would have a speaker light kit in your PotC? If not, would you be interested in one? Would you be interested in the speaker light kit's color changing, being connected to the ColorDMD SIGMA? If not, would you be interested in a stand alone remote kit to control colors and color changing effects on your new display without having to get into the backbox?

If the answer is yes to at least 2 of these questions...drop me a PM and I can probably help you out.

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from daniel0265:

Thanks for all the different opinions pinheads. I just clicked "pay now". I'll start with one and see how I like it before I spend as much on DMDs as I do on one pin.

Please report back when you got it installed, perhaps with a little mini review. I'm contemplating doing the same thing for my BDK.

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Please report back when you got it installed, perhaps with a little mini review. I'm contemplating doing the same thing for my BDK.

I have one installed on my BDK and its well worth it IMHO.
Set it to purple Sigma upscaling with gamma set to dmd…. Can never go back to orange dots.
How's it playing with the lightning flippers?

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from dug:

I have one installed on my BDK and its well worth it IMHO.
Set it to purple Sigma upscaling with gamma set to dmd…. Can never go back to orange dots.

Lightning flippers are bad ass in that game! I'll probably start a true BDK owners thread (that other thread isn't taking off) and post all my tweaks which resolve a lot of complaints on the game; i.e. Lightning flippers, mystery scoop bounce out fix, crane bounce out fix, etc... Would love some pics of your color dmd in BDK in that thread when I get it going. It'll be tonight or this weekend when I get the pics situated.

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Lightning flippers are bad ass in that game! I'll probably start a true BDK owners thread (that other thread isn't taking off) and post all my tweaks which resolve a lot of complaints on the game; i.e. Lightning flippers, mystery scoop bounce out fix, crane bounce out fix, etc... Would love some pics of your color dmd in BDK in that thread when I get it going. It'll be tonight or this weekend when I get the pics situated.

I can't seem to get the color dmd to photograph very well, but I'll give it another shot.
I'm very interested in your solution to the mystery hole fix!
PM me if your down in OC and want to check it out in person.
Doug

#30 6 years ago

lol dug, you're going ColorDMD mad! I know you're trying to fill the hole in your heart Scared Stiff left ...

#31 6 years ago

I

Quoted from dug:I have one installed on my BDK and its well worth it IMHO.

What does selecting DMD on the gamma do exactly? I cannot tell much of a difference on my machines between DMD and HI.

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I have lightening flippers on my Popeye and they fix most complaints about Popeye that I have heard as well.

#33 6 years ago

Not the greatest picture….. best I could get.
photo-265.JPG

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from Decat:

I

What does selecting DMD on the gamma do exactly? I cannot tell much of a difference on my machines between DMD and HI.

Contrast seems to be better on dmd setting…. I'm set on upscaling.
Maybe the the color dmd guys can chime in with the technical mumbo jumbo.

#35 6 years ago

Gamma sets the mapping between the gray-levels and the displayed intensity.

DMD setting = old way = emulates original DMD intensities (low levels boosted and poorer contrast between levels)
HI setting = new added option = no low-level boosting = higher contrast between bright and dark levels

Which setting looks better is personal preference and also depends on how the original content was encoded. Most content was created with the expectation that the DMD was going to screw it up (DMD setting) and encoded to compensate. Proper encoding helps but still results in loss of contrast in the darker levels. This is a contributing reason wht a lot of movie clips look washed out.

The frame grabs that people are using for P-ROC projects (and that haven't been specially encoded to compensate for the DMD) will look more correct in the HI setting.

Some people have reported they like using the HI setting (even if the content was encoded for the DMD) because it provides a perception of more depth in the displayed images.

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from dug:

Not the greatest picture….. best I could get.

photo-265.JPG 213 KB

Bad ass! How was the installation process overall? Easy, medium, difficult, pain in the ass?

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Bad ass! How was the installation process overall? Easy, medium, difficult, pain in the ass?

Very easy to install..... 15 min max.
Looks way better in person.

#38 6 years ago

I like it! Can't wait till the day comes that it's multi color but for now, I LIKE IT! I finally also got around to put up a topper for it.
image-79.jpgimage-167.jpgimage.jpgimage-796.jpgimage-398.jpgimage-716.jpgimage-746.jpg

#39 6 years ago

yes tspp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from daniel0265:

I like it! Can't wait till the day comes that it's multi color but for now, I LIKE IT! I finally also got around to put up a topper for it.

Looking good!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
4,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sacramento, CA
€ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Creo Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside