6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 62 posts
  • 40 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Pinballgeek
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

frank.jpg
    tz_scan_new.jpg
    TZ_scan_lines.jpg
    TZ_upscale.jpg
    TZ_dots.jpg
    TZ_scan_lines.jpg

There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 6 years ago

ColorDMD is excited to announce that we will be previewing our new advanced SIGMA display platform at the Texas Pinball Festival on March 15-17. Unlike previous products, SIGMA is non-game-specifc and builds upon ColorDMD's customizable single-color display capability to make best use of the high definition LCD platform.

SIGMA introduces advanced image upscaling algorithms to eliminate grid lines between dots, smooth diagonal lines, and brighten the overall display. SIGMA also introduces new capabilities including CRT scan-line emulation for games like Twilight Zone, that contribute to an enriched player experience like no other! SIGMA is the only pinball display on the planet that provides the capability to configure your display by choosing from among 49 different color hues and from different display effects like classic dots, HD interpolation, and scan lines!

The SIGMA display will be available for play in the Elevation Games booth along with the full ColorDMD lineup including Attack From Mars, Medieval Madness, The Addams Family, and Star Trek: The Next Generation. Special thanks to Marc Oradat for making this happen!

Randy Perlow will present a seminar at 7:30pm Saturday, March 16 which will highlight the company's products, technology, and evolution. Randy will also discuss how games are colored and give a glimpse into the company's future direction. We hope you can join us!

If you are interested in the new SIGMA display, please join our mailing list or update your product notification preferences on our mailing list at

http://www.colordmd.com

#2 6 years ago

great now we can colourise our dmd pins i may try it out on my judge dredd oh will the sigma work on any stern like my ij4

#3 6 years ago

Glad I could help by supplying the games for the displays. Please stop by my booth at the Texas Pinball Festival to check out the awesome ColorDMD lineup along with the rest of the pins we will have on hand.

#4 6 years ago

Will this work with the sega jumbo dmds?

#5 6 years ago

Good to hear
    I look forward to seeing the price on one of these

#6 6 years ago

this sounds great - creech green

agree on the sega large display - any info on the capabilities here

#7 6 years ago

Reading between the lines it sounds like you will never make a Twilight Zone coded color dmd and this is the best bet, and does sound way cool.

#8 6 years ago

I would really love to see video of the seminar posted online after the show.

#9 6 years ago

Just go to their website and look at the interpolated black-and-white TZ robot. Awesome!

Way to go Randy!

Please post some screenshots here when you can. Some of us are virulently anti-Facebook.

Thanks,
    EV

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from starbase:

Reading between the lines it sounds like you will never make a Twilight Zone coded color dmd and this is the best bet, and does sound way cool.

No need to assume that, at this point it might be too much to assume they are trying to "double dip" their customers (but that could be the case). E.g. , buy a sigma, THEN buy a TZ color DMD w/o sigma, and possibly triple dip by offering a TZ color DMD w/sigma capabilities.

At this point I am going to be optimistic that the sigma capability can be expanded to previously purchased displays, and color DMD gets rid of its semi ridiculous inability to transfer game specific displays between games. e.g. Buy a sigma display, and get the ability to use it as a color DMD if/when your game gets coded.

But that might be a little pie in the sky

#11 6 years ago

Are these only for Williams games?

#12 6 years ago

So, when do I receive my free SIGMA display for starting the whole "there needs to be a non-game specific ColorDMD so we can have B&W TZ and green CFTBL...." thing here months ago and getting everybody riled up about the sales possibilities for such a display?

I just hope it is much lower priced than the regular ColorDMD's. Although, with these "added features", it doesn't look like it will be any cheaper.

#13 6 years ago

The most important question...

price?

The second most important question...
    is this just for B/W games?

#14 6 years ago

I bought a colorDMD to replace the DMD that blew out in it recently on my Judge Dredd.
    It looks great!
    and considering that old stock DMDs are flying higher in price,
    colorDMD is a relative deal to $250+ for the old stuff.
    For those that complain, whine or cry about pricing,
    quality isn't expensive, it's priceless.
    I prefer quality in life and for those that do, I suggest a colorDMD.

#15 6 years ago

And... the color LED DMD is officially dead. RIP XPin.

:p

Great stuff guys, if you come in under $300 you'll have a runaway hit for sure.

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics
    http://LockWhenLit.com
    Quality Board Work - In Home Service
    314-766-4587

#16 6 years ago

Here's a sneak preview of Twilight Zone running on the new SIGMA display.

TZ_scan_lines.jpg

#17 6 years ago

I'm gonna have to see this thing in motion.

SNES9x emulator has been doing this type of filtering (Listed as SuperSAI 2x w/scanlines, I think?) for um....about a decade, at least. I never use it. I'm excited about the possibility of finally just saying goodbye to plasma displays, and if it comes in at the right price point....well.. CDMD may be blowing the doors off the market.

Looks like an oil painting on the SNES emulator, and looks like an oil painting here. Difference is it FITS on TZ. Wonder how it would look if it was applied on a more modern Stern that's using movie clips? lol

#18 6 years ago

This will be interesting to see. I think people will love it or hate it.

I for one and am all for it! Keep the screenshots coming Randy

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from Borygard:

Great stuff guys, if you come in under $300 you'll have a runaway hit for sure.

Agreed. Anything over $300 and it starts to get questionable on the bang-for-the-buck calculation...

Quoted from Dmod:

Awsesome! Please show us some more on a different game and a different color! Also, a side-by-side of just dots vs. the line scan mode on the same screenshot would be cool as well.

Later,
    EV

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Wonder how it would look if it was applied on a more modern Stern

Will it even mount in a Stern?

#21 6 years ago

Omg the black and white looks so freaking good, thanks for the preview.

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

Will it even mount in a Stern?

I hope so! I'd love to get one to have a Yellow display on TSPP....then again, I'd rather have the full ColorDMD treatment on TSPP....and I would have to imagine if ColorDMD did a Stern, TSPP would be the first.

This prob won't happen since it's so game specific - but it would be really sweet to put one of these in Transformers and have it turn Purple if you pick Decepticon, Red if you pick Autobot.

#23 6 years ago

Gotta say, not a fan of the smoothing on that sigma display. I never liked that kinda of thing. Images tend to get very muddy.

I Love the ColorDMD though! Looking forward to the WH20 display!

#24 6 years ago

I love the idea of a universal, color selectable DMD replacement -- if they aren't too pricey. Not a fan of the blurring effect, personally, but it's still cool that it is included for those that might!

#25 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

turn Purple if you pick Decepticon, Red if you pick Autobot

There's an idea! What about an eight pin connector that allows external inputs to select the current color? Then, we just have to translate from something like the feature lamps to figure out what mode the game is in and output the correct color code to control the display on the fly.

#26 6 years ago

Not sold yet. Going to have to see this in motion to make my mind up.

#27 6 years ago

Need color for Scared Stiff....

#28 6 years ago
    Quoted from Miguel351:

So, when do I receive my free SIGMA display for starting the whole "there needs to be a non-game specific ColorDMD so we can have B&W TZ and green CFTBL...." thing here months ago and getting everybody riled up about the sales possibilities for such a display?
    I just hope it is much lower priced than the regular ColorDMD's. Although, with these "added features", it doesn't look like it will be any cheaper.

Yeah, I'm not sure I like the blurring effect, I'll need to see it in person. And I remember you pushing this idea Miguel. I hope it's not cost-prohibitive, but seeing as I need a new DMD anyways for my TZ, I'll be eagerly awaiting further details.

#29 6 years ago

looks like the scale2x output. imo, MEH. I'd rather see the contrast than a blur.

#30 6 years ago

Submitted for your approval... a choice to view your game your way.
    Classic Dots, HD Upscaling, and Scan Lines... brought to you by SIGMA.

TZ_dots.jpg TZ_upscale.jpg TZ_scan_lines.jpg

#31 6 years ago

I too prefer the original, looks great.

#32 6 years ago

I like the scan lines !

#33 6 years ago

Hmmmm.........I think that I prefer the original. Maybe once I see it running, I might change my mind.

Not impressed with the differences.

#34 6 years ago

Lost a bit of crisp-ness in the text, but love the facial scan, looks fantastic.

#35 6 years ago

I prefer the original dots also. The others just look smeared to me. But who knows how t actually looks in real life. Might be totally different.

#36 6 years ago

Sweet! Giving a choice is always a great idea I can see the smoothed version working really well on a cartoon game like NGG/TSPP, and the dotted version working well for more detailed pictures like TZ and TRON.

So, speaking of which, would this allow for a nice blue TRON DMD now!?

#37 6 years ago

It looks like the watercolor option in PhotoShop, when you want an actual picture to look like a painting.

#38 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

The most important question...
    price?
    The second most important question...
    is this just for B/W games?

199 would be good, right.

#39 6 years ago

So let me get this straight: CRT scanlines...on an LCD...simulating a DMD? The mind boggles.

#40 6 years ago

Classic dots for me as well

Any thoughts of adapting to the sega large display as these are super expensive and people will these.

#41 6 years ago

choices are good, but price is still the most important question...

#42 6 years ago
    Quoted from Dmod:

Can it do the "non-dot" look but keep the "blockiness" instead of the "smoothing"? For instance, the letter "I" looks like an "I" with dots, but an hourglass when smoothed.

#43 6 years ago
    Quoted from Dmod:

I think if the effect could be localized to the graphics it would look better. It seems to take away from the text.

#44 6 years ago
    Quoted from Dmod:

Drool...

I really like the scan-lines look on the graphics, but would be nice to use dots for text, or maybe solid but non-'anti-aliased' text.

#45 6 years ago
    Quoted from spidey:

Drool...
    I really like the scan-lines look on the graphics, but would be nice to use dots for text, or maybe solid but non-'anti-aliased' text.

Yeah, that's what I was going for in my last post....if a non-anti-aliased solid option was available, that would be cool.

#46 6 years ago

The pictures we posted so far are actual photographs of the SIGMA screen. Some of the "blurring" or "softening" you see is due to a lack of focus or blooming in the photograph (as is the slight different coloration of the grays in the three different photos). Taking good photos and videos of the screen is pretty difficult, and a reason people often report that the original ColorDMD display looks better in person than in the videos we post. All of the edges between gray levels are actually very sharp single pixel edges that are difficult to see in the photos.

We're very excited to bring the display to TPF where people will have a chance to see it play "live" and comment on it. We think the scan line effect on TZ is pretty cool live, and Chris and I both actually prefer it to classic dots on all the games we've tested.

If you're going to be at TPF, please come to the ColorDMD seminar which will include some discussion on the new SIGMA display. I'll be attending the show throughout the weekend and walking around in a ColorDMD polo, so feel free to stop me if you have any questions or comments on SIGMA or any of the other things we're doing with ColorDMD.

Randy

#47 6 years ago

Thanks for all the feedback. We were able to incorporate some of your suggestions to improve the the blocky text before the show. Quick photo using my iPhone.

tz_scan_new.jpg

#48 6 years ago

And here's one last one before I pack up... just for fun. See you guys at TPF!

frank.jpg

#49 6 years ago

I'm guessing that looking at the interpolated one up close isn't doing it any favors. Standing pinball distance away I'd bet it looks better. I guess I'll find out this weekend!

#50 6 years ago

Nice! Like it. Would like a blue dmd for Tron, but I don't like the grid lines and they really show up (even with gel). This sounds like a decent alternative.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 15.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 35.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    3D MODS
    $ 495.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    MI Pinball Refinery
    $ 63.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 199.99
    $ 9.95
    $ 5,999.99
    $ 96.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 119.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 11.95
    Electronics
    nvram.weebly.com
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 12.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 144.00
    Lighting - Backbox
    The MOD Couple
    There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside