(Topic ID: 117227)

ColorDMD Unveils New HD Color Upscaling for All Platforms!

By Dmod

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
ACDC_Hires_Hrons.PNG
DW_Scan_Scores.PNG
IJ_Upscale_ChooseWisely.PNG
FT_Upscale_MonsterFish.PNG
20150330_152249.jpg
Screen Shot 2015-03-30 at 12.41.19 PM.png
image.jpg
Twister Sigma 2.JPG
Twister Sigma 1.JPG
STTNG_Scan_Borg.PNG
FAT32.PNG
FT_Upscale_MonsterFish.PNG
totan 3.jpg
totan 2.jpg
totan 1.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider razorbak86.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#401 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Great product. Great company.

I just installed a ColorDMD this weekend, and it is absolutely one of the best mods I've ever seen. Definitely worth the money.

Great product. Great company. Great communication. Great after-sale support.

#572 9 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

The LOTR 3.1 and TSPP 3.1 updates are now available for download from our site. These updates address an issue that produces intermittent flashing on some systems.
http://www.colordmd.com/support_firmware.html

Thanks, Randy. Your customer service and support are amazing!

#617 9 years ago
Quoted from EchoVictor:

LOTR = Tiles (score numbers are incomplete in Scan and HiRes)

I think LOTR in SCAN mode looks fantastic, with only minor bugs.

I haven't spotted ANY incomplete scores. Where specifically did you see this?

I have noticed that High Score #3 doesn't display the colors on wide initials correctly (e.g., my initials "SMW"), but that bug can be easily fixed like the other high scores were fixed in the 3.0 update.

Edit: This bug has now been fixed with LOTR firmware version 3.2.

image-91.jpgimage-91.jpg

#622 9 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

I have mine is SCAN and haven't seen any incomplete scores either. I'm just assuming that my scores aren't great enough to have an incomplete problem.
Also, I went back to dots after playing in scan for a while (just to see the contrast) and yuck! I can never go back to colored dots again. I'm spoiled already.

Yeah, SCAN mode on LOTR is truly amazing. I can't imagine using any mode other than SCAN. LOTR may be the perfect game for that mode.

Thanks, Randy. I'll check it out when I get home.

#630 9 years ago
Quoted from EchoVictor:

LOTR = Tiles (score numbers are incomplete in Scan and HiRes)

Quoted from EchoVictor:

What I'm talking about is on a single player game, when the score is full-sized in the "antiquey" font. The up scaling doesn't allow the number 0 to be a full circle. It's open, or incomplete, at the 11 o'clock position of the circle.

Thanks. At first, I thought you meant part of the score was not visible because it was extending outside of the ColorDMD window due to some type of technical glitch. I understand now what you're saying about the continuity of the stroke in the number "0" itself.

FWIW, that anomaly appears to be driven by the original dot matrix rendering of the shape and thickness of the typeface itself.

For example, compare the two screenshots below of the Original DMD and the ColorDMD in SCAN Mode (i.e., the latter courtesy of DerRoland's video posted earlier in this thread).

LOTR DMD-72.jpgLOTR DMD-72.jpg

LOTR ColorDMD Scan Mode DerRoland-921.jpgLOTR ColorDMD Scan Mode DerRoland-921.jpg

On the original DMD, the typeface of the number "0" is also open or incomplete at the 11 o'clock and 5 o'clock positions. The number "8" also appears to be open or incomplete at the 1 o'clock and 5 o'clock positions.

Now I am not an expert in typography -- far from it -- but after doing a little research, the typeface chosen by the game design team looks like an Old Style or Humanist typeface, dating back to the 15th century, shortly after Johannes Gutenberg's printing press, and was inspired by period handwriting such as calligraphy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serif#Old_Style

So given the original typeface, I think the SCAN mode creates a pretty good replication with a lot of the nuances of the old style, calligraphy look.

BTW, if anyone can figure out the exact typeface, I'd love to compare the numbers in the above photos to those of the original.

#648 9 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

I have noticed that High Score #3 doesn't display the colors on wide initials correctly (e.g., my initials "SMW"), but that bug can be easily fixed like the other high scores were fixed in the 3.0 update.

image-91.jpg 82 KB

FYI, I've been beta testing LOTR v3.2 for Randy, and the aforementioned bug has now been fixed. I have provided Randy with further feedback, and hopefully once incorporated, this new version can go live for the masses.

Great work, as always, Randy.

#656 9 years ago

Yeah, I was shocked at the improvement in black levels and brightness.

1 week later
#756 9 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Anyone getting this on their DrWho?
» YouTube video

Quoted from TomGWI:

Sent an email and never got a response on this.

Tom, what specifically are you seeing that looks off? I don't have a Dr. Who, so I'm just guessing, but is it the yellow color right in the center bleeding in from behind the blue?

I've noticed a similar effect on the "Grand Champion" Score on LOTR. Red is bleeding in behind the letters "G" and "R", effectively joining the two letters. I reported it as a bug via email, but haven't received a response yet.

#758 9 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

Sorry for the slow responses.
I just responded to Tom's email. The bright text on DW should light up yellow. We need to investigate why it's not detecting it's in attract mode on his game.
The LOTR issue for Grand Champion is different and will be updated. It was colored without realizing that the high score intials could extend behind the text. The empty space between the letters is covered by a red rectangle that isn't visible until the initial falls into that space.

Thank you, Randy.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider razorbak86.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-unveils-new-hd-color-upscaling?tu=razorbak86 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.