(Topic ID: 117227)

ColorDMD Unveils New HD Color Upscaling for All Platforms!

By Dmod

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
ACDC_Hires_Hrons.PNG
DW_Scan_Scores.PNG
IJ_Upscale_ChooseWisely.PNG
FT_Upscale_MonsterFish.PNG
20150330_152249.jpg
Screen Shot 2015-03-30 at 12.41.19 PM.png
image.jpg
Twister Sigma 2.JPG
Twister Sigma 1.JPG
STTNG_Scan_Borg.PNG
FAT32.PNG
FT_Upscale_MonsterFish.PNG
totan 3.jpg
totan 2.jpg
totan 1.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pimp77.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#173 9 years ago

Sticking with dots I think...colorized dots. Things like the score numbers sparkling look weird up scaled, although some stuff looks great.

#207 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Heh, this sounds like almost the word for word conversation I had with Randy about how I'd do it too.
Speaking as a Tron owner I'd be totally cool with that. Green shaded Quorra video works for me.
The truth is these videos are super low rez, you're never going to get them looking that good even with full color. I've experimented with what a full color (16 colors) video looks like in 128x32 dots (and Tron is less than that since it uses only the right side of the DMD) and it's just not all that spectacular.
Here, look at this example from Iron Man I did:

Now the color helps, but it's not like it turns it into HD video magically, you're still dealing with a very low rez image. And just look at how the dots change from frame to frame. Hand coloring that in that style would be a nightmare.

ironman-dmd2.gif 626 KB

I would be totally happy with that...and there isn't that many movie clips on IM. But still, would be crazy to do.

#210 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Ugh, no way did I hand color that, too much effort for that kind of result.
This was a proof of concept I did as part of a conversation Randy and I were having at league one afternoon. I was curious to see what it would look like.
I just grabbed some animated gifs off Google from Iron Man, cropped and scaled them down to 128x32, then blew them up 10x with a nearest neighbor algorithm to preserve the hard pixel edges and added a dot mask over the end result. Exported as a looping animation with a 16 color palette to simulate the restrictions of a ColorDMD.
Quick and dirty, but got the job done as far as showing you a "best case scenario".
If I had a clip from the actual game I'd could do it with that, but I just grabbed what I found on Google, I'm not even familiar with the game enough to know what scene to look for.

Couldn't you get the exact clips used in the game and crop them to the same size, overlay, and pull the dot color info off that instead of manually coloring each dot?

PS I have no clue...just pondering

#247 9 years ago

Tiles is awesome...will do that!

#466 9 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

The RS 3.0 update is now available for download from our site!
http://www.colordmd.com/support_firmware.html

RS_Scan_MonsterCab.PNG 14 KB

Woohoo! Road Show!!!

#551 9 years ago
Quoted from playernumber4:

Beautiful work. I wonder how Stern feels about standing on the dock watching that ship sale away?????

Sale away? I see what you did there...

#558 9 years ago

Awesomeness...after trying them all I settled on tiles looking the best for my RS. Scan mostly looks great except for a few screens, but tiles looks great all the time. 8-bit is pretty cool too, but tile is the winner winner chicken dinner!

#611 9 years ago
Quoted from EchoVictor:

Well, did a little bit of work at the VFW Ann Arbor Pinball Museum Friday and last night, and we now have all of our games with ColorDMD's updated with this new software. It's quite cool! We found that we used different settings, depending on the game. For some, the "Scan" mode gives gorgeous detail and interest, where on others, single pixel items of interest (like the starfield on STTNG) just didn't work unless you have it in "Tiles" mode.
Here's what we liked the best;
AFM = 8 Bit (Scan and HiRes wash out the single pixel red chaser lights in the saucers)
DW = Tiles
FT = 8 Bit
IJ = Tiles (Score numbers have a "sparkle" effect that is lost any other mode)
JD = Scan (looks like a comic book!)
LOTR = Tiles (score numbers are incomplete in Scan and HiRes)
MB = 8 Bit
MM = Scan (the detail in this one is awesome!)
SS = 8 Bit
STTNG = Tiles (starfield doesn't look right any other way)
TAF = Scan
TOM = Scan
TOTAN = Scan (the amount of detail just seems to fit Popaduik games)
TSPP = currently being shipped
WH20 = 8 Bit
We're currently working on an issue on CFTBL, and RS is the only game not at the VFW.
If you're interested in the ColorDMD system, we'll have every single title of ColorDMD available to see at our Showcase in May (http://vfwpinball.com/?p=128). Come on out an check it out!
Later,
EV
P.S. I have the feeling Randy and crew may make the above statement more difficult with more releases between now and May....

Add RS = Tiles

I'm also seeing a glitch where screens with just all text (like "big millions" when hitting Red) go strange rainbow colors in sections. Not a big deal, but it seems to randomly happen.

#615 9 years ago
Quoted from nerbflong:

Hey if you can remember which city modes you were in when it happened that would help. I'll take a look at it tonight.

I don't remember unfortunately, but I'll try and pay closer attention next time I play. Like I said, it's just a minor thing but it does look odd when it happens.

#624 9 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The upscaling looks terrible in my opinion but more options are fine.
I'll stick with the color dots, they look fantastic.

Tiles are for guys like you and me. They are a big step up over dots IMO.

#646 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Yeah I'd like to see that RS fix before I grab one. Thx Pimp

I played the hell out of it yesterday and didn't see the bug for what it's worth. Buy it ice! Best mod in pinball after Winter's T-Rex.

#664 9 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

negatory....he is talking dmd from one to the other, not colordmd

Yep, straight swap. No extra cable needed.

4 weeks later
#801 9 years ago

Sweet! Will have to update today!

1 week later
#812 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I installed a ColorDMD in my Metallica yesterday, in anticipation of the full coloring being done soon. Can't wait, it's going to be a masterpiece, I really think it's the best dots on a DMD ever. There's just a ridiculous amount of great animation.
image.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

But that color you chose...yikes!

#839 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Just ordered for AcDc premium, can't believe the price tag but hopefully it'll be worth the price. Kind of reminds me of pdi or invisible glass where it's so expensive yet some people swear by it. I've yet to get any glass upgrades.

It's leagues better than a glass upgrade.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pimp77.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-unveils-new-hd-color-upscaling?tu=pimp77 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.