(Topic ID: 117227)

ColorDMD Unveils New HD Color Upscaling for All Platforms!

By Dmod

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
ACDC_Hires_Hrons.PNG
DW_Scan_Scores.PNG
IJ_Upscale_ChooseWisely.PNG
FT_Upscale_MonsterFish.PNG
20150330_152249.jpg
Screen Shot 2015-03-30 at 12.41.19 PM.png
image.jpg
Twister Sigma 2.JPG
Twister Sigma 1.JPG
STTNG_Scan_Borg.PNG
FAT32.PNG
FT_Upscale_MonsterFish.PNG
totan 3.jpg
totan 2.jpg
totan 1.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider epthegeek.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#12 9 years ago

I'm curious what changed since the various seminars where it was said the current hardware generation wasn't strong enough to muscle both the color and the upscaling. New algorithm? Fewer frames per second? Great news, for sure, just surprising given what's been said previously.

#44 9 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

I would assume SmartDMD is what changed.

The existence of the competing project doesn't make Randy's hardware setup magically stronger. Something drastic had to shift on the tech. Either Randy found some ways to re-write things to be more efficient, or some other corners had to be cut. That's what I was curious about.

I'm also wondering what the schedule looks like for back porting the updated features to the existing releases. Is the patch process simple and they'll roll out in short order? Or is there a hefty amount of work needed to update previous releases?

#55 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

See what I mean about the brightness? Move back from your monitor a bit, maybe even squint a little, and then compare the brightness level of the middle dots image to the upscaled on.
That might be enough to push me into giving up dots.

Your perception does a 'nicer' job of smoothing the dots yourself (in your head) though, VS a hard math equation. Your perception makes nicer diagonals and smoother curves.

I can't remember, does ColorDMD have an option for squared dots with a fine black 1 pixel grid between them? Instead of the simulated rounds? That would be brighter. But still un-smoothed.

#69 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I'd like to sees something like that...I'm not a fan of that rounded smoothing effect...but I wonder if they can do the "no dot" look but with more square/jaggy lines so it looks more like NES 8-Bit art.

Just as a means of a partial example, I made this mockup to show what I mean. I'm not sure what resolution ColorDMD uses per dot, so I used the 10 pixels per dot I use on CCC. This is 8 pixel color squares with a 1 pixel border (so 2 black pixels between squares)

simpstest.pngsimpstest.png

#75 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Cool....I'd like to see THAT but without the grids! I imagine ColorDMD could do it...it would basically be what they're doing now but without the smoothing effect.

So for 1 comparison sake, here's what that would look like.

simpstest2.pngsimpstest2.png

I actually think the grid helps with your brain interpolating it into 'better' art. Weird.

#78 9 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

I feel like this whole thread is kind of starting to resemble this book....

Yeah. Sorry. I should also make sure it's clear that I'm not involved with ColorDMD. I have no idea if they'd even consider other rendering methods for the display (like squares).

The new color + scaling looks pretty cool, I just don't like how some of the edges and shapes turn out when pushed through math -- but when it's moving you probably don't even notice.

#118 9 years ago
Quoted from NickBuffaloPinball:

Any plans to do Metallica?

Yes, they're going to do Metallica.

#123 9 years ago
Quoted from J_Striker:

are the old color dmds updated to the new software when ordered now or is this update coming for the older dmds coming soon. I am thinking about purchasinf a LOTR color dmd and I didnt know if it would arrive with the updated software or I would have to update it later.

All the displays ship with the "Sigma" firmware. You have to use the USB update process to set it up for whichever game you're going to put it in.

#127 9 years ago
Quoted from PinCrush:

OP, will you be bringing any of these to the Texas Pinball Festival in March?

I think they intend to have a booth with every colorDMD title released so far running in a game.

#140 9 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

Not sure what else I can show you.

The downloads.

#174 9 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Sticking with dots I think...colorized dots. Things like the score numbers sparkling look weird up scaled, although some stuff looks great.

Yeah, that's a downer - it doesn't look best for everything -- but then again, dots don't look best for everything either, it's just what we're used to.

#212 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

That's why doing dots is such an art form ... You need to hand craft the dots so that each one counts,

Amen. Having made/edited dots for CCC I have a much deeper appreciation for the people doing the art for DMD games.

#239 9 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

Based on your feedback, we've decided to incorporate five different display modes in all the new ROM releases (Dots, Hi Resolution Upscaling, Textured Scan, Tiles, and 8-Bit)!

Awesome!

For anybody that hasn't read the whole thread, tiles is basically this:

356023.png356023.png

And 8 bit is basically this:

356040.png356040.png

#242 9 years ago
Quoted from wdpvideo:

When are you releasing TSPP update?

46 minutes ago.

#369 9 years ago
Quoted from simplykind:

Once again, when JD is available in 3.0, I'm placing my order!

Why not just order now? It's not as if they're NOT going to release the system update for JD.

#454 9 years ago
Quoted from Foo:

What is the difference between Hi Res and Scan? Sorry if this has been asked before.
Thanks

Scan is high-res with a texture applied to emulate old CRT style scan lines.

#529 9 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Randy - is the generic SIGMA ROMs going to get this same options?
As you know I've been running my Stern ST LE in Dots mode because I didn't like the full rez mode... I'm thinking I might want to do Tiles.

Wondering this too. Just installed a Sigma in my Metallica and would like the new adjustments.
E

#563 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Do you have any examples of film motion capture games such as IM, SM and Tron?
These games seriously need some more resolution. IM and SM particularly.

Anybody with a sigma in one of those games could shoot some video of the HD smoothing.

#579 9 years ago

Other than being a bit on the dim side, that looks pretty good.

#633 9 years ago
Quoted from EchoVictor:

What I'm talking about is on a single player game, when the score is full-sized in the "antiquey" font. The up scaling doesn't allow the number 0 to be a full circle. It's open, or incomplete, at the 11 o'clock position of the circle.
Regardless, no matter what mode you have any of the games in, they're badass!
Later,
EV

This is a clear demonstration of the "your perception" vs "pure math" thing. You know it's supposed to be a thin point in the number and you see it that way, the pure math just smooths out what it's got and doesn't know what it's actually supposed to look like, so it can't make assumptions like "even though this is thin here, this should still stay connected".

#652 9 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

I am explaining to my wife how when this comes out for Metallica, I am going to be -$400 that day.
She understands .

Don't wait. It looks amazing on a sigma now. With color it's going to be ridiculous.

#703 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Yeah, he's saying that right now, running it in single color mode, (maybe he means with the smoothing on too) looks good, and then when the color update comes out you'll just have to plug in the USB and you're set.

Yep yep. The HD smoothing on Metallica by and large looks great now. The art on Met works great with the smoothing for the most part.

#704 9 years ago
Quoted from pinball_faz:

What's the value of the effect?? Do other games do this in mid play?
Thoughts?
faz

It's an anti burn in thing for plasma DMD's.. That's all.

4 weeks later
#792 9 years ago
Quoted from PinHacks:

Can you describe TILE and 8-BIT? Are these exclusive to single-color mode for now?

Tile is squares, instead of dots, but with black space around each 'pixel' -- 8 bit is full fill squares with no space in between. All the colored releases support all these options now.

#795 9 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

I'll be showing off the Sigma display v3.0 in my Twister at TPF this coming weekend.

From your video, Twister looks pretty sharp in HighRes!

#800 9 years ago
Quoted from hank35:

Forgive me if this has been asked before, but is Metallica available? In the works?
Thanks

In the works.

1 week later
#814 9 years ago

Screen Shot 2015-03-30 at 12.41.19 PM.pngScreen Shot 2015-03-30 at 12.41.19 PM.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider epthegeek.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-unveils-new-hd-color-upscaling?tu=epthegeek and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.