(Topic ID: 117227)

ColorDMD Unveils New HD Color Upscaling for All Platforms!

By Dmod

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
ACDC_Hires_Hrons.PNG
DW_Scan_Scores.PNG
IJ_Upscale_ChooseWisely.PNG
FT_Upscale_MonsterFish.PNG
20150330_152249.jpg
Screen Shot 2015-03-30 at 12.41.19 PM.png
image.jpg
Twister Sigma 2.JPG
Twister Sigma 1.JPG
STTNG_Scan_Borg.PNG
FAT32.PNG
FT_Upscale_MonsterFish.PNG
totan 3.jpg
totan 2.jpg
totan 1.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cheeks.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

I'm curious what changed

I would assume SmartDMD is what changed.

From the stills, I hate the color upscaling. Dots may look old-school, but the upscale just looks like bad artwork. This may look different/better in motion, but in the stills it just looks like the artist had the shakes. I'm probably wrong though since everyone else seems to think it looks awesome.

#159 9 years ago

Always thought the color dots looked great. Evidence: I have about 10 ColorDMD. Still on the fence about the full color dots vs the full color upscaled. Some of the upscale images look cool, others look weird at best. Bottom line is there's only low res source graphics to work with and the upscale tries to pretend it's high res source. I thought EP's "square pixel" options shown earlier in the thread looked really cool. I would definitely use that as a mode if it was an option.

#165 9 years ago
Quoted from domijr:

ColourDMD team

Ha! I didn't know they had a Canadian division.

#176 9 years ago
Quoted from Biv:

I do not like the upscaling at all.
First I thought that maybe only the stills look weird, but the video just reassured my opinion.
I need dots, though squares or hexagons in a grid may also look great.

Agreed! Check out epthegeek's post earlier in this thread. I think his black border square pixel option epitomizes optimizing the low res graphics in the original graphic files. I thought that look was fantastic!

#245 9 years ago
Quoted from floyd1977:

This is great that we are being given so many options and can play around and find what looks best to us.

I am starting to lean toward tiles, but I will have to see how 8-bit looks in action. Tiles has sort of a screen door effect that allows your eyes to interpolate the missing content, so I think it ends up appearing smoother.

This is where I'm leaning too. I love the new options much better than the upscaling. KUDOS to ColorDMD for quick response to community input. Really excited to implement these choices on my many CDMD.

#335 9 years ago

I get the same type of "shearing" effect. I don't think I've seen it on any of my full color games, but I have noticed it for sure in the Star Trek I put one in. Apparently I'm not the only one seeing things like this.

#379 9 years ago

You people need to get your priorities straight. Of course Scared Stiff needs to be next. Elvira's assets need HD upscaling like nobody's business!

#522 9 years ago
Quoted from herg:

I think there are a going to be a few cases in every game where the upscaling does something a bit weird.

SS, the font causes some of the letters to "stick" where they shouldn't. The ends of S's connect to the middles. Hard to describe in words what it looks like. Also, Elvira turning over the eyeballs toward an extra ball looks pretty rough. On the flip side, starting Coffin, Crate, etc. looks awesome. I'm torn between SCAN and TILE on this one.

For TOTAN, SCAN is easily my favorite. I haven't had much time to play, though, and I wonder what the skeletons and Princess in the Bottle are going to look like.

AFM, TILE looks awesome. There are a few scenes where SCAN is better, but the TILE just feels right to me.

Totally agree on all this. I'm guessing it may be a game-by-game basis. I came into this not being a fan and loving the look of Tile. I noticed the same issues as you with SS, so I went with Tile as the clear winner. However, on STTNG and IJ both Tile and Scan looked really good. I think I'll end up with Scan. On ToTAN, Scan was the clear winner. Still have a few more to install to see how they look.

In my opinion, Tile looks really good on every game. But on some, Scan ends up looking better.

Haven't played with contrast or brightness yet, so that's next.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cheeks.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-unveils-new-hd-color-upscaling?tu=cheeks and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.