(Topic ID: 117227)

ColorDMD Unveils New HD Color Upscaling for All Platforms!

By Dmod

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
ACDC_Hires_Hrons.PNG
DW_Scan_Scores.PNG
IJ_Upscale_ChooseWisely.PNG
FT_Upscale_MonsterFish.PNG
20150330_152249.jpg
Screen Shot 2015-03-30 at 12.41.19 PM.png
image.jpg
Twister Sigma 2.JPG
Twister Sigma 1.JPG
STTNG_Scan_Borg.PNG
FAT32.PNG
FT_Upscale_MonsterFish.PNG
totan 3.jpg
totan 2.jpg
totan 1.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aurich.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#30 9 years ago

The effect looks even better in motion.

Super stoked for Metallica now, it's going to look amazing.

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Butt but but, I thought you said you preferred Dots over smoothing?

I think I still do, I love the old school feel. I haven't seen the new color smoothing in person yet though, only on an iPhone video. I have to admit, TSPP in full color, smoothed, in motion looked pretty damn sweet.

There's no question when I get Metallica I'm going to try it out. If I like it better I'll admit Randy won me over.

One thing that's cool about the no-dots deal is it makes the display feel brighter, because you're not running all those black pixels. So that may help sway me, we'll see.

#36 9 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

Anyone have a rough ETA on Met?

Don't quote me on this, because I may be remembering wrong, but I thought they said Spring. Whether I run dots or smoothing there's no question I'm getting the Metallica ColorDMD. The dots on that game are just brilliant, might be my all time favorite DMD, and the amount of details they're adding to the color is going to make it look incredible.

#50 9 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

Here's a few shots that might be interesting and show evolution of the ColorDMD with direct comparison of the original dot artwork and upscaled images.

See what I mean about the brightness? Move back from your monitor a bit, maybe even squint a little, and then compare the brightness level of the middle dots image to the upscaled on.

That might be enough to push me into giving up dots.

#56 9 years ago

Show me those Metallica reference frames with smoothing on and I'll ponder it some more!

#84 9 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

another great Aurich idea.

I like to pop out a couple great ideas before lunch, then save the really great ones for the evening.

#113 9 years ago

Once you go color it's pretty much impossible to pass up making more games in color. It's just so much better. No question I'm buying a ColorDMD for Metallica, Star Trek and Tron. Well, Star Trek only if Stern upgrades the code first. I might pass on color for it until then.

I dunno that I'm gonna upscale, I love dots. But I'm definitely going to at least try it.

#128 9 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Tron is mostly cut scenes "dotified". Star Trek, with its custom dots, will look a hell of a lot better than Tron. Unless you just want a blue monochrome for Tron.

Sure, no argument there. But until the code is updated Star Trek is gonna keep gathering dust in my collection, so I'm not wasting money on a new display for it.

#185 9 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

man that look sweet!
i know there is a lot of titles in queue, if you ever do Star Trek, i'd be in for sure.

They've already announced it's coming this year.

#202 9 years ago
Quoted from herg:

I'm not familiar enough with SM to know how much non-video stuff there is, but Tron, which I own, is another game that people say can't be done properly. If I were going to do Tron, I'd do custom coloring for all the dot work, then keep it monochromatic for the video sequences. I would color match the sequences (green for Quorra's intro video, etc.), but trying to actually make those videos look intelligible in full color sounds like torture.

Heh, this sounds like almost the word for word conversation I had with Randy about how I'd do it too.

Speaking as a Tron owner I'd be totally cool with that. Green shaded Quorra video works for me.

The truth is these videos are super low rez, you're never going to get them looking that good even with full color. I've experimented with what a full color (16 colors) video looks like in 128x32 dots (and Tron is less than that since it uses only the right side of the DMD) and it's just not all that spectacular.

Here, look at this example from Iron Man I did:

ironman-dmd2.gifironman-dmd2.gif

Now the color helps, but it's not like it turns it into HD video magically, you're still dealing with a very low rez image. And just look at how the dots change from frame to frame. Hand coloring that in that style would be a nightmare.

#208 9 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

Would be an interesting experiment to upscale that. Would you end up with something that looked like hand drawn art or a complete mess?

I dunno about in color, but I've seen games like Spider-Man upscaled in Sigma mode. It's not a complete mess, it might even help some, but there's just only so much you can do with such a low rez video clip.

Just as a reminder, this is the actual size of the DMD screen in pure pixels:

ironman-actual-rez.gifironman-actual-rez.gif

It's just super tiny. That's why doing dots is such an art form, and as a general rule ripped movie clips look like crap. You need to hand craft the dots so that each one counts, the general noise of a movie clip just doesn't translate well.

As Rarehero points out, on Tron they at least adjusted the contrast and black levels to frame most of the images clearly against a black background, so that does help.

There's a limit to what ColorDMD, or anyone else, can do with this stuff. They're squeezing a lot of blood from the stone already.

#209 9 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Hmmm... That looks better than I expected. Did you create that by scaling down from a movie source, or by hand coloring those frames? I can't imagine coloring an entire game that way.

Ugh, no way did I hand color that, too much effort for that kind of result.

This was a proof of concept I did as part of a conversation Randy and I were having at league one afternoon. I was curious to see what it would look like.

I just grabbed some animated gifs off Google from Iron Man, cropped and scaled them down to 128x32, then blew them up 10x with a nearest neighbor algorithm to preserve the hard pixel edges and added a dot mask over the end result. Exported as a looping animation with a 16 color palette to simulate the restrictions of a ColorDMD.

Quick and dirty, but got the job done as far as showing you a "best case scenario".

If I had a clip from the actual game I'd could do it with that, but I just grabbed what I found on Google, I'm not even familiar with the game enough to know what scene to look for.

#213 9 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Couldn't you get the exact clips used in the game and crop them to the same size, overlay, and pull the dot color info off that instead of manually coloring each dot?
PS I have no clue...just pondering

Yeah, that was the entire idea that started the conversation. I don't know how possible that even is, but that's why I mocked this up, so show how that might look if was done.

#219 9 years ago
Quoted from FishPharm:

I was curious if anyone knew when or if they were going to do Twilight Zone? Its such a popular game I would have thought that it would have been done already.

They've already announced they're doing Twilight Zone, so I imagine this year. I think it's been left so long because it's an enormously difficult one to do.

#272 9 years ago
Quoted from LitzDoc:

So the color upscaling will be ready as a general upgrade for all titles when the beta testing is done?
That is very cool. I can't wait to add it to my LOTR.

Yes. It was said maybe next week, but at this point I would guess it's just "when they're ready". I can tell you they're actively working on it, I already have fixes for the minor bugs I found. So just be a tiny bit patient and you'll get the goodies soon, and it's worth the wait.

#308 9 years ago
Quoted from extraballingtmc:

just installed 3.0 on lotr, it installed properly selected and saved my settings, but when I put the display back in the game the screen went blank

I'm confused, you took the display out of the game to do the install?

#329 9 years ago
Quoted from extraballingtmc:

is it possible to do data east as well? love to see my gnr in colour one day

I'm pretty sure Randy mentioned DE in one of his recent posts. Too lazy to go back and try and find it though.

#475 9 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

i simply must get this for all my pins. Please let me know when you release Black Hole and Funhouse!

1399-00.jpg1399-00.jpg

#479 9 years ago
Quoted from herg:

What were you thinking when you chose that palette for Black Hole?

http://www.adafruit.com/products/1399

21 connections per digit! 672 to do Funhouse.

#494 9 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

But Blackhole won't? LOL!!
Please release for Gofers, Shadow and Metallica!! I will buy

Gah, I want Shadow! At least we know Metallica is coming and will be awesome.

#504 9 years ago
Quoted from mot:

ColorDMD (dmod),
Are your servers bogged down? I can't download the Monster Bash ROM and your servers are responding to ping irregularly.
If so, that's awesome! Glad to see so many dedicated fans. You guys have earned it!
Love,
Tom

Downloads just fine for me. If you can't get it PM me and I can email it to you.

#598 9 years ago
Quoted from MacJedi:

Hey Herg, sorry for the noob question, but how did you get it to sync with the ramp lights? I'm wondering if I can get it to do this on my Star Trek to match the mode color. Thanks!

Zitt tried to get this going but I think he ran into some roadblocks and I haven't heard anything about it in a while. With full color coming I doubt there much motivation to solve it now.

1 week later
#650 9 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I think your $400 is safe for a while.

Metallica is already being colorized. I guess it depends on your definition of "a while".

#658 9 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I stand corrected. I didn't think that was next up or even on the horizon.

It's gonna be awesome too. I'm super stoked for it. The game has such great dots.

#679 9 years ago
Quoted from Animal:

you seem to be in the know from what I have seen from other threads about ST code. Are they even working on it?

They are. I wouldn't expect any updates before next month at the earliest though.

#690 9 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Same here but I've noticed some oddities at times in the Holodeck video mode where the colors get mixed up (The 10s end up grey or white instead of green, the bombs are no longer red and the walls will have green streaks or spots in them). It doesn't happen every time but I'm going to try to capture video of it tonight.

If you can document the sequence that causes that it's an easy fix for them.

#702 9 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Sigma? Is that colorDMD's product that is universal to all DMD games or am I missing something?

Yeah, he's saying that right now, running it in single color mode, (maybe he means with the smoothing on too) looks good, and then when the color update comes out you'll just have to plug in the USB and you're set.

#707 9 years ago
Quoted from gaspumprob:

Ok I have a nib (one month old) sigma display for my IMVE and if i install it how do I get the new HD effect Etc. Do I have to program with a stick or just plug and play??
Rob

You don't need to do anything, because IM hasn't been colorized yet. So you'll just run it in single color mode, which already has the upscaling. What's new is the upscaling now working for colorized games too.

#748 9 years ago
Quoted from gaspumprob:

Thank you Pinmaniac this helped me. I was changing the name that I could view in the file which read only Colordmd after the download to colordmd.rom which caused problems. When I just did the download again I noticed that when I moved the curser over where it said colordmd it came up as colordmd.rom . So after all this I should have been just leaving everything alone(no rename needed). Now everything is working as it should. Wow what a difference. I love this product ! Thank you color DMD. Thank you Randy for your late night help last night.
Rob

You might have your machine set to not show extensions, so it was hiding the .rom, and you were technically renaming it to colordmd.rom.rom

3 weeks later
#787 9 years ago

Welp, time to download an update! Thanks Randy, I know I was a pain in your ass about DOTXL but I'm stoked to see it across all titles.

1 week later
#811 9 years ago

I installed a ColorDMD in my Metallica yesterday, in anticipation of the full coloring being done soon. Can't wait, it's going to be a masterpiece, I really think it's the best dots on a DMD ever. There's just a ridiculous amount of great animation.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#816 9 years ago

Hehehe, epthegeek wins the first person to notice what I leaked in that photo. Still a prototype, I'll talk more about that project in a bit.

Quoted from Pimp77:

But that color you chose...yikes!

lol, I was just flipping through them, I haven't settled on anything yet. It won't be single color for long anyways ...

#819 9 years ago
Quoted from KevInBuffalo:

I have three options to put it in: Addams Family, Doctor Who or Johnny Mnemonic. I'm leaning toward Addams but JM might be fun too. DW is out because I don't want to do the LED mod on my doctors light board.

I'd try JM first. Addams is cool, but honestly the game just doesn't have a whole lot of cool dots and animation. I haven't seen Johnny with a ColorDMD yet, but I bet it's got more going on in color.

#829 9 years ago
Quoted from KevInBuffalo:

Got the Color DMD yesterday and ended up putting it in Addams. I can see how these things can be addicting as DW sits next to it in its monochrome glory.

Yup, you're screwed. Expect your Betty Ford pamphlet in the mail.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aurich.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-unveils-new-hd-color-upscaling?tu=aurich and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.