(Topic ID: 117227)

ColorDMD Unveils New HD Color Upscaling for All Platforms!

By Dmod

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
ACDC_Hires_Hrons.PNG
DW_Scan_Scores.PNG
IJ_Upscale_ChooseWisely.PNG
FT_Upscale_MonsterFish.PNG
20150330_152249.jpg
Screen Shot 2015-03-30 at 12.41.19 PM.png
image.jpg
Twister Sigma 2.JPG
Twister Sigma 1.JPG
STTNG_Scan_Borg.PNG
FAT32.PNG
FT_Upscale_MonsterFish.PNG
totan 3.jpg
totan 2.jpg
totan 1.jpg

You're currently viewing posts matching search word(s) "difference between".
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#295 9 years ago

What's the difference between HD upscaling and Scan mode? I watched the Simpsons video for both a fellow Pinsider posted on You Tube, but couldn't ascertain the difference.

#297 9 years ago
Quoted from domijr:

If i raise the contrast all the way up, i can barely see the scan lines "even if i set backlight to 1".

It might just be that we're describing it differently. Higher contrast increases the intensity of the low level colors, which reduces the difference between colors, and the scan lines hide don't stand out as much. In my case, there was a picture of a guy, and you could see his side. The scan lines kinda made him look like a skeleton where you could see his ribs. Increasing the contrast reduced the "bony" effect.

Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

What's the difference between HD upscaling and Scan mode? I watched The Simpsons video for both a fellow Pinsider posted on You Tube, but couldn't ascertain the difference.

Scan has a bit of a pattern in the darker areas, whereas Hires is solid areas. It's pretty subtle, and you would need a really good video to be able to see it.

#323 9 years ago

whats the difference between "hires" and "scan"?

#324 9 years ago
Quoted from Animal:

whats the difference between "hires" and "scan"?

Taken from another post here is the difference as stated by Randy:
" Scan is the same as hires with a texture effect laid over the top of it. It provides a little more shading effect between the bright/mid/low levels and also softens some of the sharp corners visible in hires.

Turning down the contrast in hires mode will also enhance the difference in shading between levels at the expense of some overall brightness.

Scan was introduced on SIGMA for games like Twilight Zone but it produces a nice effect on all games."

#416 9 years ago

what the difference between scan & hires?

#453 9 years ago

What is the difference between Hi Res and Scan? Sorry if this has been asked before.
Thanks

#455 9 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Scan is high-res with a texture applied to emulate old CRT style scan lines.

Awesome, can somebody tell me what the difference between hi-res an scan is?

#462 9 years ago
Quoted from Jam_Burglar:

Awesome, can somebody tell me what the difference between hi-res an scan is?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-unveils-new-hd-color-upscaling?tq=difference+between&tu

#467 9 years ago
Quoted from Jam_Burglar:

The question was asked and answered mulitple times in this thread.

That's why I preapologised.

I asked because I didn't see much difference between the two on my FT. I'll have to look closer tonight.

#587 9 years ago

i saw that thanks ! what is the difference between that one and the one listed for TOTAN ?

#632 9 years ago

Settings update:

After a bunch of dabbling yesterday I stuck with
-Contrast 4
-Brightness 3
-Hi Res mode
for WH2O.

After lots of toggling I liked Hi Res the most for WH2O. There really wasn't a ton of difference between scan and hi res mode except for perceived brightness of the animations so I stuck with Hi Res. Its a different look than the dots but it looks good. There are a few places (particularly the cursive Williams logo) that look a little weird in Hi Res but I can live with them. Second runner up would be 8Bit, which was more in line with the original look but in the end I thought Hi Res's upscaling made many animations look better and clearer. The "Spirit of the River" dude looked best in Hi Res and that was the tipping point for me.

Brightness at 3 was the lowest setting I could ultimately get away with. My main goal here was to keep blacks black but still get good colors. When I converted from a true DMD to the Color DMD the loss of deep blacks was the main drawback for me. With the new settings I was able to get better blacks. Any setting higher than 3 gave me too much of a grey-black. Anything lower than 3 and the colors were a little too dim. Using Hi Res or 8 Bit mode allowed me to push the brightness down the most because without the black lines from the Dots, Tile, and Scan the animations appear a good bit brighter.

Contrast at 4 seemed to be the sweet spot for keeping the different colors distinct and preventing washout from having the contrast set too high. Low contrast = good color separation but drabber colors and high contrast = popping colors but poor color separation. I previously had my contrast at 8 and brightness at 1, and while the screen "popped" and had good blacks, the colors were not very discernible in many cases. At 5 the colors were much more discernible but I felt I was still getting a tad too much washout in some animations so I stuck with 4. Anything below 4 and the colors were too drab for my taste.

These were just my preferences. I imagine that everyone's settings will depend both on the screen they have (not all of us have the same model LED) and the game they're using it for. This is such a bad ass update. My wife (who rarely plays) noticed the difference without having to tell her.

1 month later
#797 9 years ago

Can somebody explain the difference between Hi-Res and Scan?

Just kidding.

I think I'm in the minority, but I'm still digging Hi-Res the best for White Water. I keep going back to check out other modes, but if you look at it from the perspective of trying to easily see what's going on with the animations, Hi-Res is the clearest. And, at least with White Water, the upscaling doesn't seem to cause issues with "connecting dots" that shouldn't be connected.

You're currently viewing posts matching search word(s) "difference between".
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-unveils-new-hd-color-upscaling?tq=difference+between&tu and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.