(Topic ID: 117227)

ColorDMD Unveils New HD Color Upscaling for All Platforms!

By Dmod

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
ACDC_Hires_Hrons.PNG
DW_Scan_Scores.PNG
IJ_Upscale_ChooseWisely.PNG
FT_Upscale_MonsterFish.PNG
20150330_152249.jpg
Screen Shot 2015-03-30 at 12.41.19 PM.png
image.jpg
Twister Sigma 2.JPG
Twister Sigma 1.JPG
STTNG_Scan_Borg.PNG
FAT32.PNG
FT_Upscale_MonsterFish.PNG
totan 3.jpg
totan 2.jpg
totan 1.jpg
There are 856 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 18.
#101 9 years ago

I was always on the fence with these but I think I have officially decided to get one for TAF. These look really cool.

#102 9 years ago

Did someone say Simpsons pixel art....

#103 9 years ago

Hold on...

Need some clarification.

Are the displays that Color DMD ships dot based (like a stock mono-color dmd) or are they screens where the "dots" are faked?

Guess what I'm getting at: will this 14X improved image quality require a new color dmd display?

#104 9 years ago

It's a LCD panel with fake dots.

#105 9 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

It's a LCD panel with fake dots.

Ah...so they can easily switch over to higher res. Very cool.

Does it have good off axis performance? if you're standing off to the side of the machine does the display wash out?

#106 9 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Does it have good off axis performance? if you're standing off to the side of the machine does the display wash out?

Not that I have noticed.

#107 9 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

These look great from pretty obtuse angles.

#108 9 years ago

Cannot wait for fishtales update!!! And get cracking on one for tommy!!!

#109 9 years ago

Just ordered 2 more. 1 for MET and 1 for ACDC, hopefully we'll see some firmware for them in the near future. I'm now at 4....do I need therapy?

#110 9 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Side is fine, but like a laptop computer, the vertical angle greatly affects black levels (depending on the display manufacturer). My solution is to tilt the screen back. Works great on my IJ display.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-improve-your-contrast

#111 9 years ago
Quoted from ff6735:

Just ordered 2 more. 1 for MET and 1 for ACDC, hopefully we'll see some firmware for them in the near future. I'm now at 4....do I need therapy?

I'm also at 4. Therapy is definitely needed once you hit 8+.
Check out this thread that I had started 4 months ago.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-your-total-colordmd-addiction

There are more people that have 9 or more than 6, 7, and 8 combined.

#112 9 years ago

More examples... from our monster phase.

CFTBL_Upscale_Title.PNGCFTBL_Upscale_Title.PNG MB_Scan_Doc.PNGMB_Scan_Doc.PNG SS_Upscale_Coffin.PNGSS_Upscale_Coffin.PNG WH2O_Upscale_Hotfoot.PNGWH2O_Upscale_Hotfoot.PNG
#113 9 years ago

Once you go color it's pretty much impossible to pass up making more games in color. It's just so much better. No question I'm buying a ColorDMD for Metallica, Star Trek and Tron. Well, Star Trek only if Stern upgrades the code first. I might pass on color for it until then.

I dunno that I'm gonna upscale, I love dots. But I'm definitely going to at least try it.

#114 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Once you go color it's pretty much impossible to pass up making more games in color. It's just so much better. No question I'm buying a ColorDMD for Metallica, Star Trek and Tron. Well, Star Trek only if Stern upgrades the code first. I might pass on color for it until then.
I dunno that I'm gonna upscale, I love dots. But I'm definitely going to at least try it.

Tron is mostly cut scenes "dotified". Star Trek, with its custom dots, will look a hell of a lot better than Tron. Unless you just want a blue monochrome for Tron.

#115 9 years ago

tspp will be my first color dmd , come on canadian dollar , please rebound!!!

#117 9 years ago
Quoted from Astill:

just ordered the tspp, and that exchange is brutal. oh well!

#118 9 years ago
Quoted from NickBuffaloPinball:

Any plans to do Metallica?

Yes, they're going to do Metallica.

#119 9 years ago
Quoted from herg:

I would expect some time before the others are updated, but I hope I'm wrong.

Quoted from Dmod:

We use color to make it easy to separate scores from other information.

Quoted from Dmod:

More examples... from our monster phase.

Looks like a lot of progress to me. Maybe it IS going to be faster than I guessed. Fingers crossed!

#120 9 years ago

I've always thought ColorDMD way overpriced ( £330 in UK!! ) but I'm going to be very tempted by TSPP.

#121 9 years ago
Quoted from Astill:

I'm not sure if customs vary depending on where you're at in Canada, but i had to pay $34.71 CAD when the package showed up. As for the Canadian dollar, i ended up using $257.36 US that i had on paypal, and the rest which was $180.59 US, was paid with the canadian dollar which ended up being $229.59 CAD. Luckily i didn't have to pay it all with the canadian dollar. Think i saved around 60$ CDN or so by paying more than half with the american dollar.

So on top of the currency exchange, factor in the shipping and customs. Shipping is 38.95 US which is close to 50$ CAD, so that's around 85$ CAD to have the display shipped to your door. Currency exchange will add around 100$ to the price. All in all, you're looking at around 585$ CAD shipped.

With that said. This display is amazing and I'm so happy i bought it. It's pricy yes, but who knows, the canadian dollar might keep dropping which will make things even more pricy.

#122 9 years ago

are the old color dmds updated to the new software when ordered now or is this update coming for the older dmds coming soon. I am thinking about purchasinf a LOTR color dmd and I didnt know if it would arrive with the updated software or I would have to update it later.

#123 9 years ago
Quoted from J_Striker:

are the old color dmds updated to the new software when ordered now or is this update coming for the older dmds coming soon. I am thinking about purchasinf a LOTR color dmd and I didnt know if it would arrive with the updated software or I would have to update it later.

All the displays ship with the "Sigma" firmware. You have to use the USB update process to set it up for whichever game you're going to put it in.

#124 9 years ago
Quoted from J_Striker:

^^^^^^^^^^

#125 9 years ago

You have to load the software onto the ColorDMD regardless of the title.

It is similar to updating a Stern game that uses the SAM system but a slightly easier process to update.

#126 9 years ago

OP, will you be bringing any of these to the Texas Pinball Festival in March?

#127 9 years ago
Quoted from PinCrush:

OP, will you be bringing any of these to the Texas Pinball Festival in March?

I think they intend to have a booth with every colorDMD title released so far running in a game.

#128 9 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Tron is mostly cut scenes "dotified". Star Trek, with its custom dots, will look a hell of a lot better than Tron. Unless you just want a blue monochrome for Tron.

Sure, no argument there. But until the code is updated Star Trek is gonna keep gathering dust in my collection, so I'm not wasting money on a new display for it.

#129 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Sure, no argument there. But until the code is updated Star Trek is gonna keep gathering dust in my collection, so I'm not wasting money on a new display for it.

True. I'm sure ColorDMD is waiting too. I doubt they'll release anything for Star Trek until late this year....when they're comfortable it's finished.

#130 9 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

You have to load the software onto the ColorDMD regardless of the title.
It is similar to updating a Stern game that uses the SAM system but a slightly easier process to update.

thanks guys, I have never owned a color dmd and looking to make my first purchase of one.

#131 9 years ago
Quoted from J_Striker:

thanks guys, I have never owned a color dmd and looking to make my first purchase of one.

You won't regret it. As Aurich said earlier, once you have one in color, you really want the rest. On the surface if you haven't seen a full color one, it may not sound too exciting, but I guarantee that once you do, you'll want it on all your machines.

#132 9 years ago

Ug, I just realized that, with what I've already spent on ColorDMDs, I could've got myself a really nice condition B-title game...

The plaque continues...

Jaz

#133 9 years ago
Quoted from Jazman:

Ug, I just realized that, with what I've already spent on ColorDMDs, I could've got myself a really nice condition B-title game...
The plaque continues...
Jaz

+1

#134 9 years ago
Quoted from Jazman:

The plaque continues...
Jaz

Yeah but then you would just want to put a ColorDMD in that game. There is no winning.

#135 9 years ago

Do you have the option to "dial in" the resolution? Instead of 14x on a machine you can have 6x. I think this would be a cool feature and add some tuning to keep us busy.

#136 9 years ago

None of my games have a color DMD offered...I guess I'm just out of luck.

Robert

#137 9 years ago

Last four to round out our current catalog. If you review the posts, that's one preview from every game we've done (in reverse order back to our first)!

Not sure what else I can show you.

STTNG_Scan_Borg.PNGSTTNG_Scan_Borg.PNG TAF_Upscale_Thing.PNGTAF_Upscale_Thing.PNG MM_Upscale_Dragon.PNGMM_Upscale_Dragon.PNG AFM_Upscale_Martian.PNGAFM_Upscale_Martian.PNG
#139 9 years ago

Why no video yet? I'm dying to see this in action.

#140 9 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

Not sure what else I can show you.

The downloads.

#141 9 years ago

ok I am gonna bite: can we please get a video?
Thank you for this awesome product but get of your lazy ass and do spiderman

#142 9 years ago

That is all I want!

#143 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

That is all I want!

It's worth waiting for!

#144 9 years ago

I just want one for my CV, stargate and avengers LE

#145 9 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

None of my games have a color DMD offered...I guess I'm just out of luck.
Robert

Same here....but on the plus side we get to keep our money in our pockets a while longer.

#146 9 years ago
Quoted from aejsm:

I just want one for my CV, Stargate and Avengers LE

that's not one that's 3.

#147 9 years ago

Please give target date on the download? Something different!

#148 9 years ago

You just need to show me when I can download the new LOTR ROM!! This is all amazing! Congrats on making an already great product, even better! I can't wait for MET!!!

#149 9 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Just as a means of a partial example, I made this mockup to show what I mean. I'm not sure what resolution ColorDMD uses per dot, so I used the 10 pixels per dot I use on CCC. This is 8 pixel color squares with a 1 pixel border (so 2 black pixels between squares)

I like this idea... I too haven't been a fan of the sigma resolution modes.
For me; I wanted a dot + smoothing mode. IE have the DMD dot still there... colored... but have it "fade" to black in a square pattern like you showed. Maybe round... maybe square. not sure.

#150 9 years ago

Simpsons trailer is live! Chris did a great job producing this one. Hope you like it!

Thanks to Mark Jarzewiak for getting this one done!

There are 856 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 18.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-unveils-new-hd-color-upscaling/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.