(Topic ID: 117227)

ColorDMD Unveils New HD Color Upscaling for All Platforms!

By Dmod

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
ACDC_Hires_Hrons.PNG
DW_Scan_Scores.PNG
IJ_Upscale_ChooseWisely.PNG
FT_Upscale_MonsterFish.PNG
20150330_152249.jpg
Screen Shot 2015-03-30 at 12.41.19 PM.png
image.jpg
Twister Sigma 2.JPG
Twister Sigma 1.JPG
STTNG_Scan_Borg.PNG
FAT32.PNG
FT_Upscale_MonsterFish.PNG
totan 3.jpg
totan 2.jpg
totan 1.jpg
There are 856 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 18.
#51 9 years ago

Seriously very cool.

#52 9 years ago

I'm drooling with anticipation about this and Star Trek. All those colored uniforms, Khan and Spock fighting, lasers, Klingons, etc....

#53 9 years ago

Glad to see that both modes will be available, as for me the upscaled stuff just does not work.

#54 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

That might be enough to push me into giving up dots.

It will be.

#55 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

See what I mean about the brightness? Move back from your monitor a bit, maybe even squint a little, and then compare the brightness level of the middle dots image to the upscaled on.
That might be enough to push me into giving up dots.

Your perception does a 'nicer' job of smoothing the dots yourself (in your head) though, VS a hard math equation. Your perception makes nicer diagonals and smoother curves.

I can't remember, does ColorDMD have an option for squared dots with a fine black 1 pixel grid between them? Instead of the simulated rounds? That would be brighter. But still un-smoothed.

#56 9 years ago

Show me those Metallica reference frames with smoothing on and I'll ponder it some more!

#57 9 years ago

Really looking forward to this. Thanks Randy!

#58 9 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

I can't remember, does ColorDMD have an option for squared dots with a fine black 1 pixel grid between them?

Not currently. If it's in dots mode, you cannot change the shape of those dots.

#59 9 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

I would assume SmartDMD is what changed.
From the stills, I hate the color upscaling. Dots may look old-school, but the upscale just looks like bad artwork. This may look different/better in motion, but in the stills it just looks like the artist had the shakes. I'm probably wrong though since everyone else seems to think it looks awesome.

I think it's a cool option, but I think I'm partial to the standard color dots look. I might change it back and forth just for fun, though. To me - dots just say "pinball" and "retro" ...when smoothed out, it looks like mushy art.

Quoted from epthegeek:

Your perception does a 'nicer' job of smoothing the dots yourself (in your head) though, VS a hard math equation. Your perception makes nicer diagonals and smoother curves.
I can't remember, does ColorDMD have an option for squared dots with a fine black 1 pixel grid between them? Instead of the simulated rounds? That would be brighter. But still un-smoothed.

I'd like to sees something like that...I'm not a fan of that rounded smoothing effect...but I wonder if they can do the "no dot" look but with more square/jaggy lines so it looks more like NES 8-Bit art.

#60 9 years ago

That textured scan line effect in the stills makes the background look knitted or crocheted. And for some reason - it looks really cool. Assuming the knitted look isn't as obvious when animated, but thumbs up regardless.

I think I honestly prefer the old school dot effect, but having the option of switching between the three makes this go from a "Maybe if I feel like blowing money" purchase to "Yeah - this is inevitable."

Would love to see stills from other games when they're available.

#61 9 years ago

Greatness, Lets get StarTrek going. Massive amounts of animations over 18 modes and the multi's. Please...

#62 9 years ago

This is really cool and a huge improvement.

I still can't get over the fact that there are machines still being made with such crappy display resolution however.

#63 9 years ago

Like to see how this works out. I only really saw the upscaling in person once and didn't really like the look. Maybe it's just something I need to get used to.

#64 9 years ago

Video... please ? It look so good.

Thought the following link is very timely given comments above about square dots....

The Simpsons intro done in an 8 bit pixelated look....

Some nice 8 bit sounds as well.....

#65 9 years ago

As has been mentioned it comes back to personal taste and in some cases - theme and the actual animations and/or dots style.

For me, TSPP really benefits from this. In it's animated look it just shines. Some people might prefer dots, that's cool too. First you get color and it brings out things you never noticed, then you get smoothing, another level of cool - again, to me. I can think of some titles, and even some particular animations where the dots will likely look better. Other titles I think will really benefit and animations look different than stills. I know my TSPP will be staying on upscaling with the texture. On the game, the texture isn't as obvious as in the still but it is a really nice effect for the midtones.

#66 9 years ago

What a perfect title for this feature.

Bring on Family Guy - Hint Hint.

I'm all in on TSPP. When can we order?

#67 9 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

What a perfect title for this feature.
Bring on Family Guy - Hint Hint.
I'm all in on TSPP. When can we order?

You should be able to order now. Roms will be available soon - can't say exactly when, but soon.

#68 9 years ago
Quoted from ataritoday:

Video... please ? It look so good.
Thought the following link is very timely given comments above about square dots....
The Simpsons intro done in an 8 bit pixelated look....
» YouTube video
Some nice 8 bit sounds as well.....

That is freaking awesome.

#69 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I'd like to sees something like that...I'm not a fan of that rounded smoothing effect...but I wonder if they can do the "no dot" look but with more square/jaggy lines so it looks more like NES 8-Bit art.

Just as a means of a partial example, I made this mockup to show what I mean. I'm not sure what resolution ColorDMD uses per dot, so I used the 10 pixels per dot I use on CCC. This is 8 pixel color squares with a 1 pixel border (so 2 black pixels between squares)

simpstest.pngsimpstest.png

#70 9 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Just as a means of a partial example, I made this mockup to show what I mean. I'm not sure what resolution ColorDMD uses per dot, so I used the 10 pixels per dot I use on CCC. This is 8 pixel color squares with a 1 pixel border (so 2 black pixels between squares)

simpstest.png 3 KB

Cool....I'd like to see THAT but without the grids! I imagine ColorDMD could do it...it would basically be what they're doing now but without the smoothing effect.

#71 9 years ago

This looks like HQ2X (or a bit better) implemented in the ColorDMD FPGA ... HQ2X can be done with a couple of blockRAMs and a couple hundred LUTs in the FPGA (assuming color depth or entry to color lookup table is ~ 8bpp) ... You might be able to save a few LUTs if you use the DSP slices for the multiplication.

This looks frigging outstanding ! I saw these filters applied to the raw output of a Nintendo Entertainment System on an FPGA ... the games look a LOT better on an HDTV though some of the "retro appeal" is lost ... I think people are going to LOVE this feature on their pinball machines though. Excellent work!

#72 9 years ago

cant wait to see more pics of other titles. might be upgrading the ones i got. totan and other ones already look great with the original color dmd.

#73 9 years ago

I'm still not a fan of smoothing. I agree with Aurich that using all the display makes it look brighter but i don't know if that is a selling point. I never thought the other system needed to be brighter. Sometimes it looks great but other times it looks bad. It isn't a uniform "looks good" all the time.

#74 9 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Just as a means of a partial example, I made this mockup to show what I mean. I'm not sure what resolution ColorDMD uses per dot, so I used the 10 pixels per dot I use on CCC. This is 8 pixel color squares with a 1 pixel border (so 2 black pixels between squares

I wonder if it would be possible in the engine to allow the user to switch from displaying dots (circles) to squares. Then if you choose squares, you could specify the size of the square, from a minimum value to the maximum size where it would touch the squares next to it.

#75 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Cool....I'd like to see THAT but without the grids! I imagine ColorDMD could do it...it would basically be what they're doing now but without the smoothing effect.

So for 1 comparison sake, here's what that would look like.

simpstest2.pngsimpstest2.png

I actually think the grid helps with your brain interpolating it into 'better' art. Weird.

#76 9 years ago

I feel like this whole thread is kind of starting to resemble this book....

if-you-give-a-mouse-a-cookie-300.jpgif-you-give-a-mouse-a-cookie-300.jpg

#77 9 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

So for 1 comparison sake, here's what that would look like.

I actually think the grid helps with your brain interpolating it into 'better' art. Weird.

simpstest2.png 3 KB

Bam, thanks Ep! That's EXACTLY what I'd want to see as an option! To me that turns dots into legit pixel-art! Personally I love that look vs. the smoothed option. Randy - is this possible on ColorDMD? I imagine the software is technically doing this THEN adding the smoothing filter to it. I'd love this look as an option too.

#78 9 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

Yeah. Sorry. I should also make sure it's clear that I'm not involved with ColorDMD. I have no idea if they'd even consider other rendering methods for the display (like squares).

The new color + scaling looks pretty cool, I just don't like how some of the edges and shapes turn out when pushed through math -- but when it's moving you probably don't even notice.

#79 9 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

but when it's moving you probably don't even notice.

the trails man the trails. lets hope its not like that.

#80 9 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

if-you-give-a-mouse-a-cookie-300... 20 KB

Personally I think it would be better if this new ColorDMD tech cleaned my house and bought groceries for me and cooked for me and went to work for me. Just throwing the ideas out there... maybe for the next update?

#81 9 years ago

Rare, the dots can be any pattern really.

Here's a test I did with shaded dot selection - another great Aurich idea.

(This is for a future Pinheck System, not Game 2)

#82 9 years ago

Just got a display for my lotr today. Any word on a date for the hd roms?

#83 9 years ago

Looks like a JD CDMD has moved to number 1 on my things to purchase list... Awesome work guys!

#84 9 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

another great Aurich idea.

I like to pop out a couple great ideas before lunch, then save the really great ones for the evening.

#85 9 years ago

This is great news at the perfect time. I just ordered your AFM display can't wait for rom update. Thanks for continuing to enhance your displays!

#86 9 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Butt but but, I thought you said you preferred Dots over smoothing?

#87 9 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

if-you-give-a-mouse-a-cookie-300... 20 KB

"If you give a moose a muffin" is clearly superior.

#88 9 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

"If you give a moose a muffin" is clearly superior.

If you give a cat a cupcake is the most popular in our household.

#89 9 years ago

More previews from some recent releases.

RS_Scan_MonsterCab.PNGRS_Scan_MonsterCab.PNG JD_Upscale_BattleTank.PNGJD_Upscale_BattleTank.PNG LOTR_Scan_Gandalf.PNGLOTR_Scan_Gandalf.PNG IJ_Upscale_ChooseWisely.PNGIJ_Upscale_ChooseWisely.PNG
#90 9 years ago

With the kit, would it be posible to get something like the lower display in this PINBALLBROWSER displays montage I´ve made? Or the results in HD could be better ?

(Thanks to user nerbflong for this spectacular MET frame)(and also to Olivier for its PinBrowser software)

Met-HD-COLORDMD.jpgMet-HD-COLORDMD.jpg
#91 9 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

More previews from some recent releases.

Randy, is it possible to have a "no dot" but "no smoothing" option, similar to what Epthegeek posted above? I'd much prefer this pixel-art style look to the smoothing...and while I know nothing about programming, it seems like it would be possible for the ColorDMD to do...seems like the same concept as Sigma, but without the smoothing filter.

356040.png356040.png
#92 9 years ago

Just ordered my TSPP color dmd.

Can't wait!!!

#93 9 years ago

when is this new upgrade supposed to be released?

#94 9 years ago

The web site said the expected release is Feb. 13th

#95 9 years ago

so Feb 13th is for all titles?

#96 9 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

so Feb 13th is for all titles?

I don't really know, but I'd kinda doubt it. The Feb 13 is on the TSPP purchase page:
http://shop.colordmd.com/colordmd-replacement-display-for-the-simpsons-pinball-party-pinball-machine/

I would expect some time before the others are updated, but I hope I'm wrong.

#97 9 years ago
Quoted from herg:

I don't really know, but I'd kinda doubt it. The Feb 13 is on the TSPP purchase page:
http://shop.colordmd.com/colordmd-replacement-display-for-the-simpsons-pinball-party-pinball-machine/
I would expect some time before the others are updated, but I hope I'm wrong.

My guess would be, since this is an operating system update and doesn't have to do with the colorization of the ROM, the updates might be pretty much instant for all previously completed games.

#98 9 years ago

Yes, it should be relatively easy, but...

Quoted from Dmod:

This exciting new technology will be released beginning with The Simpsons Pinball Party in February!

Key words: "beginning with"

#99 9 years ago

While it's easy to forget, pinball displays are all about conveying information. Most of the time, you're looking at text!

We use color to make it easy to separate scores from other information. A primary focus of the ColorDMD scaler has been to deliver the sharpest text possible in a pinball display!

DW_Scan_Scores.PNGDW_Scan_Scores.PNG
FT_Upscale_MonsterFish.PNGFT_Upscale_MonsterFish.PNG
TOTAN_Scan_Cyclops-339.PNGTOTAN_Scan_Cyclops-339.PNG
TOM_Upscale_Magic.PNGTOM_Upscale_Magic.PNG

#100 9 years ago

Wow,

I ordered the color DMD for my TSPP a few hours ago...

I've already received an email that it has shipped.

Talk about FAST customer service.

Thanks Colordmd!!!

This is my 1st color DMD purchase.

From the looks of things, I have a hunch it won't be my last.

There are 856 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 18.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-unveils-new-hd-color-upscaling/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.