(Topic ID: 117227)

ColorDMD Unveils New HD Color Upscaling for All Platforms!

By Dmod

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
ACDC_Hires_Hrons.PNG
DW_Scan_Scores.PNG
IJ_Upscale_ChooseWisely.PNG
FT_Upscale_MonsterFish.PNG
20150330_152249.jpg
Screen Shot 2015-03-30 at 12.41.19 PM.png
image.jpg
Twister Sigma 2.JPG
Twister Sigma 1.JPG
STTNG_Scan_Borg.PNG
FAT32.PNG
FT_Upscale_MonsterFish.PNG
totan 3.jpg
totan 2.jpg
totan 1.jpg
There are 856 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 18.
#701 9 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Don't wait. It looks amazing on a sigma now. With color it's going to be ridiculous.

Sigma? Is that colorDMD's product that is universal to all DMD games or am I missing something?

#702 9 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Sigma? Is that colorDMD's product that is universal to all DMD games or am I missing something?

Yeah, he's saying that right now, running it in single color mode, (maybe he means with the smoothing on too) looks good, and then when the color update comes out you'll just have to plug in the USB and you're set.

#703 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Yeah, he's saying that right now, running it in single color mode, (maybe he means with the smoothing on too) looks good, and then when the color update comes out you'll just have to plug in the USB and you're set.

Yep yep. The HD smoothing on Metallica by and large looks great now. The art on Met works great with the smoothing for the most part.

#704 9 years ago
Quoted from pinball_faz:

What's the value of the effect?? Do other games do this in mid play?
Thoughts?
faz

It's an anti burn in thing for plasma DMD's.. That's all.

#705 9 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

It's an anti burn in thing for plasma DMD's.. That's all.

That and it attracts attention, hopefully of the person who should be playing.

#706 9 years ago

Ok I have a nib (one month old) sigma display for my IMVE and if i install it how do I get the new HD effect Etc. Do I have to program with a stick or just plug and play??

Rob

#707 9 years ago
Quoted from gaspumprob:

Ok I have a nib (one month old) sigma display for my IMVE and if i install it how do I get the new HD effect Etc. Do I have to program with a stick or just plug and play??
Rob

You don't need to do anything, because IM hasn't been colorized yet. So you'll just run it in single color mode, which already has the upscaling. What's new is the upscaling now working for colorized games too.

#708 9 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

That and it attracts attention, hopefully of the person who should be playing.

I'll buy attention getter...but it looks more like my 1970's TV that had a problem with the vertical hold

When I first noticed it I thought it was a refresh rate issue but looked at some misc youtube videos of regular DMDs and saw the same thing.

I guess in single player mode, it really does not do anything, but in multi-player mode it would help remind you which score is yours.

I doubt it has to do with burn in. The rest of the graphics are on the screen all the time.

faz

#709 9 years ago

I know they are expensive but adding the full color display with options to a pin really is a nice touch. I like it more then I thought I would.

#710 9 years ago

I just emailed a video of the "blue boat" on FT to Chris and Randy.

Hope that helps.

#711 9 years ago

Need...

M E T A L L I C A

ColorDMD please release this and take my money already!

#712 9 years ago

Faz... I'm somewhat sure that my DE star trek does something similar. but not sure.

#713 9 years ago

So how do I find out if the display was purchased before june 2013? I bought one of my pins in late 13 and it came with colorDMD, not sure when it was purchased

#714 9 years ago
Quoted from Kkuoppamaki:

So how do I find out if the display was purchased before june 2013? I bought one of my pins in late 13 and it came with colorDMD, not sure when it was purchased

If you're referring to the product key, just check the COLORDMD INFO screen that comes up when pressing the right button and see if you're running a 1.X version of the firmware. If so, you'll need to send a photo of that screen to [email protected] and we'll send you a new product key.

If version 2.X, you're good to go.

Randy

#715 9 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Any plans to do NGG?

I'm hoping they do. The table has such great color in it already that the standard DMD looks out of place. Color on this game would look great.

#716 9 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

If you're referring to the product key, just check the COLORDMD INFO screen that comes up when pressing the right button and see if you're running a 1.X version of the firmware. If so, you'll need to send a photo of that screen to [email protected] and we'll send you a new product key.
If version 2.X, you're good to go.
Randy

I had to send a screen shot to Randy for a new product key. Super fast reply too! Great product and communication. Thanks!

#717 9 years ago

An update for Fish Tales (FT 3.1) is now available for download from our site!

This update fixes the uncolored blue boat during video mode, caused by a file conversion error migrating from 2.1 to 3.0.

FT_Upscale_MonsterFish.PNGFT_Upscale_MonsterFish.PNG

#718 9 years ago

Hi Chris and Randy - Great job on the FT 3.1. Any developments with the flicker issues noted on WH2O? Thank you.

and now for my subliminal message.... a..p.. a..p.. Austin... powers... color... dmd

#719 9 years ago

Installed the new firmware for my LOTR yesterday, looking great. Thank you colorDMD

#720 9 years ago

I think I have grown to like the blue boat....might keep it

#721 9 years ago
Quoted from Hudson:

Need...
M E T A L L I C A

It will be awesome.

#722 9 years ago
Quoted from Hudson:

Need...
M E T A L L I C A

Why wait??? Buy the Sigma display now!! That way you can still enjoy Hi Res upscaling with any color you want.

#723 9 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

I think I have grown to like the blue boat....might keep it

lol.

Since I helped out with FT, how about doing congo now please!

#724 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

lol.
Since I helped out with FT, how about doing congo now please!

Who wants to see that crap in full color?!?

#725 9 years ago
Quoted from Matt_Rasmussen:

Who wants to see that crap in full color?!?

AMY of course!

#726 9 years ago

Just updated my 6 color dmds to 3.0. I set all of them to the HiRes settings. The new setting takes some getting used to but they look pretty good. The graphics look very clean and sharp. I shot a video of my Medieval Madness game play and the color DMD at the HiRes setting.

Below is the link to the Medieval Madness video that I recently created.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blog: http://pinballsupernova.wordpress.com/

FaceBook: https://www.facebook.com/pbsupernova?ref=hl

Twitter: https://twitter.com/PinbalSupernova

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYkP5URZoS8NApETWc7uBmA/feed?view_as=public

#727 9 years ago

Why is iron man linked?

#728 9 years ago

Has anyone else noticed severe lag in the Fish Tales video mode when running the upscaling enabled firmware versions? At least in my machine (running 3.1) it's almost unplayable and I didn't notice this before upgrading to the 3.x versions.
I have set it for "dots" and have no use for the upscaling (so I would actually consider downgrading, but the old versions are not available as far as I know).

#729 9 years ago
Quoted from oropuro:

Why is iron man linked?

Wishful thinking by Rai

#730 9 years ago
Quoted from Suicyco:

Has anyone else noticed severe lag in the Fish Tales video mode when running the upscaling enabled firmware versions? At least in my machine (running 3.1) it's almost unplayable and I didn't notice this before upgrading to the 3.x versions.
I have set it for "dots" and have no use for the upscaling (so I would actually consider downgrading, but the old versions are not available as far as I know).

no problem on highres on mine. Plays great and no more blue boat (I do kind of miss him)

#731 9 years ago
Quoted from Suicyco:

You can download the older version from the site, just change the numbers at the end of the below link to what ever version you want:

www.colordmd.com/download.php?rom=FT_3_1

That link will download Version 3.1

For FT here is what they have on the site as of today, change the number in the above to any of those listed below to download that version. So, just to be clear, you could but 3_1, 3_0, 2_1, or 2_0 in the above link and they will all work.

Fish Tales ColorDMD 3.1 ROM Update (Updated Feb 23, 2015)

3.1: (02/23/15) Corrected bug introduced in 3.0 that caused one of the boats to be miscolored during video mode.
3.0: (02/11/15) Update to coloring engine with new upscaling features and extended contrast/backlight control.
2.1: (05/25/14) Corrected use of stored settings for vertical adjustment and gamma.
2.0: (05/22/14) Initial release.

#732 9 years ago

Upgraded our 4 ColorDMDs 2 days back with the new ROMs, and set them all to HiRes. WOW. It felt like getting new machines! Additionally, the updates took mere minutes to install on all 4 machines.

Thanks ColorDMD for the great screens, software, and support!

#733 9 years ago

Help please,

I followed the instructions and used the correct thumb drive and no luck the program led blinks around five times then i let go after the display goes dark and the program light just keeps blinking and the display remains dark even after one min. The instructions say to copy the file name as follows colordmd.rom is this correct? or does it need to be "colordmd.rom" ? This is a struggle for me and it seems so simple. What should i try??

Rob

#734 9 years ago

If the program light keeps blinking, it's showing an error coded that usually indicates that the colordmd.rom file could not be found on the USB drive. In order to try to reinstall the firmware, you'll need to clear the error code by resetting power to the display.

Please check to make sure the drive is formatted to FAT32 and that the file name is exactly "colordmd.rom" (without the quotes) with no extra characters or hidden extensions (like "colordmd.rom.rom").

With issues like these, often trying a different USB flash drive will work.

#735 9 years ago

Thanks for the fast reply! How do you check to make sure the drive is formatted to FAT 32? The thumb drive I am using has worked on this machine (MB) in the past but i had a friend download the file to this thumb drive for me.

Thanks,
Rob

#736 9 years ago
Quoted from gaspumprob:

Thanks for the fast reply! How do you check to make sure the drive is formatted to FAT 32? The thumb drive I am using has worked on this machine (MB) in the past but i had a friend download the file to this thumb drive for me.
Thanks,
Rob

If you're on a Windows PC, right-click on the thumb drive and select Properties. It shows up under File System.

FAT32.PNGFAT32.PNG
#737 9 years ago

Ok I checked the thumb drive properties and it is FAT32 .

#738 9 years ago

I also cleared all that was on the drive and started fresh with no luck. File seems to transfer correctly to the drive, then I rename it. Serial number on my display reads 057BDDBB product key 67AC5BBA Just cannot remember when I bought it . Just want to rule out that I do not need a product Key change.

Thanks,
Rob

#739 9 years ago

Right-click this link and select Save Link As...

http://www.colordmd.com/download.php?rom=MB_3_0

Save it to the root directory of the USB drive with the name "colordmd.rom"

#740 9 years ago

Thank you very much I will try that.

Rob

#741 9 years ago

Ok still not working maybe the thumb drive is corrupted . I will sleep on this and buy another thumb drive and retry another day. Thanks for all your help Randy.

Rob

#742 9 years ago

It is good to note the correct file name comes from the website. No need to change the name. Just verify that you have the file on the thumbdrive after the file transfer.

#743 9 years ago

Anyone getting this on their DrWho?

#744 9 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Anyone getting this on their DrWho?
» YouTube video

I don't have one in Dr Who yet.
Have you tried erasing the file off your thumbdrive and downloading the file again?

#745 9 years ago

Are you on the latest DW rom? The text should highlight when it's full screen.

#746 9 years ago

I am running 3.1

#747 9 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

It is good to note the correct file name comes from the website. No need to change the name. Just verify that you have the file on the thumbdrive after the file transfer.

Thank you Pinmaniac this helped me. I was changing the name that I could view in the file which read only Colordmd after the download to colordmd.rom which caused problems. When I just did the download again I noticed that when I moved the curser over where it said colordmd it came up as colordmd.rom . So after all this I should have been just leaving everything alone(no rename needed). Now everything is working as it should. Wow what a difference. I love this product ! Thank you color DMD. Thank you Randy for your late night help last night.

Rob

#748 9 years ago
Quoted from gaspumprob:

Thank you Pinmaniac this helped me. I was changing the name that I could view in the file which read only Colordmd after the download to colordmd.rom which caused problems. When I just did the download again I noticed that when I moved the curser over where it said colordmd it came up as colordmd.rom . So after all this I should have been just leaving everything alone(no rename needed). Now everything is working as it should. Wow what a difference. I love this product ! Thank you color DMD. Thank you Randy for your late night help last night.
Rob

You might have your machine set to not show extensions, so it was hiding the .rom, and you were technically renaming it to colordmd.rom.rom

#749 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

You might have your machine set to not show extensions, so it was hiding the .rom, and you were technically renaming it to colordmd.rom.rom

Yes that was the problem.

Thanks

#750 9 years ago

i created folders for each game on a usb stick, download each file into the proper folder.
then to load on a game just copy the file you need outside of the folders. the
software will overlook all folders and only see the desired file with proper name outside. they are the same name so its gets confusing. the named folders made it a little more organized for me. then for others just delete the copied one and start over for the next. the original downloads always stay in the folders and avoids confusion on the drive. eazy peezy.

There are 856 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 18.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-unveils-new-hd-color-upscaling/page/15 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.