(Topic ID: 117227)

ColorDMD Unveils New HD Color Upscaling for All Platforms!

By Dmod

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 856 posts
  • 205 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by MustangPaul
  • Topic is favorited by 40 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 95 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.jpg
ACDC_Hires_Hrons.PNG
DW_Scan_Scores.PNG
IJ_Upscale_ChooseWisely.PNG
FT_Upscale_MonsterFish.PNG
20150330_152249.jpg
Screen Shot 2015-03-30 at 12.41.19 PM.png
image.jpg
Twister Sigma 2.JPG
Twister Sigma 1.JPG
STTNG_Scan_Borg.PNG
FAT32.PNG
FT_Upscale_MonsterFish.PNG
totan 3.jpg
totan 2.jpg
totan 1.jpg

There are 856 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 18.
#601 4 years ago

+1000!!!....greg....have you been contacted?...are there just too few of these out there?

#602 4 years ago

I posted a video of my White Water with the DMD 3.0 setting to HiRes. More videos to come of my other color DMDs. Blog post Here:

Blog: https://pinballsupernova.wordpress.com/2015/02/15/colordmd-3-0-hires-dmd-and-gameplay/

Video Post of White Water:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blog: http://pinballsupernova.wordpress.com/

FaceBook: https://www.facebook.com/pbsupernova?ref=hl

Twitter: https://twitter.com/PinbalSupernova

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYkP5URZoS8NApETWc7uBmA/feed?view_as=public

#603 4 years ago

I posted a video of my Addams Family with the DMD 3.0 setting to HiRes. More videos to come of my other color DMDs. Blog post Here:

Blog: https://pinballsupernova.wordpress.com/2015/02/15/colordmd-3-0-hires-dmd-and-gameplay/

Video Post of Addams Family (Reaching Tour the Mansion):

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blog: http://pinballsupernova.wordpress.com/

FaceBook: https://www.facebook.com/pbsupernova?ref=hl

Twitter: https://twitter.com/PinbalSupernova

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYkP5URZoS8NApETWc7uBmA/feed?view_as=public

#604 4 years ago

Hey Chris and Randy - Just following up regarding the flicker issue on WH2O. Today, in addition to the flicker, I noticed that at times (again, while in display mode) that the high scores, date and time, etc that are normally displayed in blue were periodically displaying all in white.

#605 4 years ago
Quoted from gac:

Hey Chris and Randy - Just following up regarding the flicker issue on WH2O. Today, in addition to the flicker, I noticed that at times (again, while in display mode) that the high scores, date and time, etc that are normally displayed in blue were periodically displaying all in white.

I'll check that on mine. I've noticed that the flicker seems to happen at certain predictable times. During attract I'll get it across the "Whitewater". I get it during the Vacation Planner status screen. I also get it in the Lost Mine. There are probably a few more places but those are the ones I can remember off the top of my head.

#606 4 years ago

Well, did a little bit of work at the VFW Ann Arbor Pinball Museum Friday and last night, and we now have all of our games with ColorDMD's updated with this new software. It's quite cool! We found that we used different settings, depending on the game. For some, the "Scan" mode gives gorgeous detail and interest, where on others, single pixel items of interest (like the starfield on STTNG) just didn't work unless you have it in "Tiles" mode.

Here's what we liked the best;

AFM = 8 Bit (Scan and HiRes wash out the single pixel red chaser lights in the saucers)
DW = Tiles
FT = 8 Bit
IJ = Tiles (Score numbers have a "sparkle" effect that is lost any other mode)
JD = Scan (looks like a comic book!)
LOTR = Tiles (score numbers are incomplete in Scan and HiRes)
MB = 8 Bit
MM = Scan (the detail in this one is awesome!)
SS = 8 Bit
STTNG = Tiles (starfield doesn't look right any other way)
TAF = Scan
TOM = Scan
TOTAN = Scan (the amount of detail just seems to fit Popaduik games)
TSPP = currently being shipped
WH20 = 8 Bit

We're currently working on an issue on CFTBL, and RS is the only game not at the VFW.

If you're interested in the ColorDMD system, we'll have every single title of ColorDMD available to see at our Showcase in May (http://vfwpinball.com/?p=128). Come on out and check it out!

Later,
EV

P.S. I have the feeling Randy and crew may make the above statement more difficult with more releases between now and May....

#607 4 years ago
Quoted from Jam_Burglar:

I'll check that on mine. I've noticed that the flicker seems to happen at certain predictable times. During attract I'll get it across the "Whitewater". I get it during the Vacation Planner status screen. I also get it in the Lost Mine. There are probably a few more places but those are the ones I can remember off the top of my head.

It sounds like we are experiencing the same issues.

#608 4 years ago
Quoted from gac:

It sounds like we are experiencing the same issues.

I e-mailed support over the weekend but haven't heard anything back yet. I'm assuming they're in a coma after doing all that work last week.

The update is really nice as far as I'm concerned.

I've got my brightness on 1 (for the best blacks) and I'm still working on the contrast. Right now I think I have it at 8. My preferred setting on WH2O so far is SCAN. I like 8Bit too, but I think scan might be the winner.

#609 4 years ago

Thanks for the trouble reports and videos. We're looking into the issue and have made some updates to further improve the stability of the new engine. So far the issues only seem to affect a few systems, making it difficult to reproduce.

We hope to have something to test later this week or early next week.

Randy

#610 4 years ago

Thanks for the update Randy. I agree with Jam Burglar... the colordmd update is sweet. I'm not worried about a resolution. Randy and Chris always come through.

#611 4 years ago
Quoted from EchoVictor:

Well, did a little bit of work at the VFW Ann Arbor Pinball Museum Friday and last night, and we now have all of our games with ColorDMD's updated with this new software. It's quite cool! We found that we used different settings, depending on the game. For some, the "Scan" mode gives gorgeous detail and interest, where on others, single pixel items of interest (like the starfield on STTNG) just didn't work unless you have it in "Tiles" mode.
AFM = 8 Bit (Scan and HiRes wash out the single pixel red chaser lights in the saucers)
DW = Tiles
FT = 8 Bit
MB = 8 Bit
SS = 8 Bit
TAF = Scan
TOM = Scan
WH20 = 8 Bit
We're currently working on an issue on CFTBL, and RS is the only game not at the VFW.
If you're interested in the ColorDMD system, we'll have every single title of ColorDMD available to see at our Showcase in May (http://vfwpinball.com/?p=128). Come on out an check it out!
Later,
EV
P.S. I have the feeling Randy and crew may make the above statement more difficult with more releases between now and May....

Add RS = Tiles

I'm also seeing a glitch where screens with just all text (like "big millions" when hitting Red) go strange rainbow colors in sections. Not a big deal, but it seems to randomly happen.

#612 4 years ago
Quoted from EchoVictor:

DW = Tiles
FT = 8 Bit
MB = 8 Bit
SS = 8 Bit
TAF = Scan
TOM = Scan
WH20 = 8 Bit
If you're interested in the ColorDMD system, we'll have every single title of ColorDMD available to see at our Showcase in May (http://vfwpinball.com/?p=128). Come on out and check it out!
Later,
EV

+1 on Tiles for DW. While I thought scan or hires might look best having colored it all, Tiles just looks great on this title to me.

#613 4 years ago

I think Monster Bash and Creature from the Black Lagoon look great with scan.

I updated my White Water and set it to scan, too, but I can't see too many animations in a game without a playfield... I'll get it back together soon!

Addams Family will be the last of my collection to get the update, and I'm glad to hear people like the scan effect.

I certainly like all of the effects. I think the biggest benefit is that the overall brightness improves greatly when you fill in the black space between dots.

Again, well done ColorDMD folks! Your product has gone from amazing to even better!

#614 4 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Add RS = Tiles
I'm also seeing a glitch where screens with just all text (like "big millions" when hitting Red) go strange rainbow colors in sections. Not a big deal, but it seems to randomly happen.

Hey if you can remember which city modes you were in when it happened that would help. I'll take a look at it tonight.

#615 4 years ago
Quoted from nerbflong:

Hey if you can remember which city modes you were in when it happened that would help. I'll take a look at it tonight.

I don't remember unfortunately, but I'll try and pay closer attention next time I play. Like I said, it's just a minor thing but it does look odd when it happens.

#616 4 years ago

A new update for Doctor Who (DW 3.1) is now available for download from our site! Mark made some improvements to help keep the coloring of the doctors in the background more uniform during bonus sequences.

http://www.colordmd.com/support_firmware.html

DW_Scan_Scores.PNG
#617 4 years ago
Quoted from EchoVictor:

I think LOTR in SCAN mode looks fantastic, with only minor bugs.

I haven't spotted ANY incomplete scores. Where specifically did you see this?

I have noticed that High Score #3 doesn't display the colors on wide initials correctly (e.g., my initials "SMW"), but that bug can be easily fixed like the other high scores were fixed in the 3.0 update.

Edit: This bug has now been fixed with LOTR firmware version 3.2.

image-91.jpg

#618 4 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

I haven't spotted ANY incomplete scores. Where specifically did you see this

I have mine is SCAN and haven't seen any incomplete scores either. I'm just assuming that my scores aren't great enough to have an incomplete problem.

Also, I went back to dots after playing in scan for a while (just to see the contrast) and yuck! I can never go back to colored dots again. I'm spoiled already.

#619 4 years ago

The upscaling looks terrible in my opinion but more options are fine.

I'll stick with the color dots, they look fantastic.

#620 4 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

I have noticed that High Score #3 doesn't display the colors on wide initials correctly (e.g., my initials "SMW"), but that bug can be easily fixed like the other high scores were fixed in the 3.0 update.

image-91.jpg 82 KB

PM Sent.

#621 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I understand the criticism, but in terms of doing the best you can with what you've got, I think it's amazing.

And dots, of course, are always great!

#622 4 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

I have mine is SCAN and haven't seen any incomplete scores either. I'm just assuming that my scores aren't great enough to have an incomplete problem.
Also, I went back to dots after playing in scan for a while (just to see the contrast) and yuck! I can never go back to colored dots again. I'm spoiled already.

Yeah, SCAN mode on LOTR is truly amazing. I can't imagine using any mode other than SCAN. LOTR may be the perfect game for that mode.

Thanks, Randy. I'll check it out when I get home.

#623 4 years ago

LOTR is tiles over scan for me.

The scores look like crap using scan/hires as it ruins the artistic styling of the numbers.

#624 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Tiles are for guys like you and me. They are a big step up over dots IMO.

#625 4 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

Quoted from bigdaddy07:

I have mine is SCAN and haven't seen any incomplete scores.

What I'm talking about is on a single player game, when the score is full-sized in the "antiquey" font. The up scaling doesn't allow the number 0 to be a full circle. It's open, or incomplete, at the 11 o'clock position of the circle.

Regardless, no matter what mode you have any of the games in, they're badass!

Later,
EV

#626 4 years ago

I posted a video of my Monster Bash with the DMD 3.0 setting to HiRes. More videos to come of my other color DMDs. Blog post Here:

Blog:
https://pinballsupernova.wordpress.com/2015/02/18/monster-bash-colordmd-3-0-hires-dmd-and-gameplay/

Video Post of Monster Bash (Reaching Monster Bash and Monsters of Rock):

#627 4 years ago

I just dropped the 3.1 code on DW. I ran through all the options. I agree with others. Tiles or Dots, but I gotta say, I really love the dot look that shimoda put together.... kinda why I bought it in the first place.

But the more important story is the investment that ColorDMD did on a product that they already sold me. I honestly never expected this kind of re-invest in the base technology like this. Every time I get any kind of cool tech, the only upgrade is with a new bit of hardware.

Kudos ColorDMD. Thanks very much!

My applause are in dot form in tribute

faz

#628 4 years ago

I posted a video of my Creature From the Black Lagoon with the DMD 3.0 setting to HiRes. More videos to come of my other color DMDs. Blog post Here:

Blog:
https://pinballsupernova.wordpress.com/2015/02/18/creature-from-the-black-lagoon-colordmd-3-0-hires-dmd-and-gameplay/

Video Post of CFTBL:

#629 4 years ago

I was on the fence about getting a colordmd for Fish Tales when I ordered one for TSPP (without hesitation). Wow. The colordmd on Fish Tales is fantastic. I'm more than glad that I decided to get it. Can't wait to put it in TSPP tomorrow!!

#630 4 years ago
Quoted from EchoVictor:

Quoted from EchoVictor:

What I'm talking about is on a single player game, when the score is full-sized in the "antiquey" font. The up scaling doesn't allow the number 0 to be a full circle. It's open, or incomplete, at the 11 o'clock position of the circle.

Thanks. At first, I thought you meant part of the score was not visible because it was extending outside of the ColorDMD window due to some type of technical glitch. I understand now what you're saying about the continuity of the stroke in the number "0" itself.

FWIW, that anomaly appears to be driven by the original dot matrix rendering of the shape and thickness of the typeface itself.

For example, compare the two screenshots below of the Original DMD and the ColorDMD in SCAN Mode (i.e., the latter courtesy of DerRoland's video posted earlier in this thread).

LOTR DMD-72.jpg

LOTR ColorDMD Scan Mode DerRoland-921.jpg

On the original DMD, the typeface of the number "0" is also open or incomplete at the 11 o'clock and 5 o'clock positions. The number "8" also appears to be open or incomplete at the 1 o'clock and 5 o'clock positions.

Now I am not an expert in typography -- far from it -- but after doing a little research, the typeface chosen by the game design team looks like an Old Style or Humanist typeface, dating back to the 15th century, shortly after Johannes Gutenberg's printing press, and was inspired by period handwriting such as calligraphy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serif#Old_Style

So given the original typeface, I think the SCAN mode creates a pretty good replication with a lot of the nuances of the old style, calligraphy look.

BTW, if anyone can figure out the exact typeface, I'd love to compare the numbers in the above photos to those of the original.

#631 4 years ago

One piece of feedback.

The dots/tiles really does look the best on DW and the others do not. I might suggest you change the default to "dots" when you ship. Let the user change to the other ones. If I was a brand new user and saw the graphics presented in "scan" (which I think was the default) my heart would completely sink.

The expectation of a new owner is yellow dots to multi-colored dots.

Just saying.
faz

#632 4 years ago

Settings update:

After a bunch of dabbling yesterday I stuck with
-Contrast 4
-Brightness 3
-Hi Res mode
for WH2O.

After lots of toggling I liked Hi Res the most for WH2O. There really wasn't a ton of difference between scan and hi res mode except for perceived brightness of the animations so I stuck with Hi Res. Its a different look than the dots but it looks good. There are a few places (particularly the cursive Williams logo) that look a little weird in Hi Res but I can live with them. Second runner up would be 8Bit, which was more in line with the original look but in the end I thought Hi Res's upscaling made many animations look better and clearer. The "Spirit of the River" dude looked best in Hi Res and that was the tipping point for me.

Brightness at 3 was the lowest setting I could ultimately get away with. My main goal here was to keep blacks black but still get good colors. When I converted from a true DMD to the Color DMD the loss of deep blacks was the main drawback for me. With the new settings I was able to get better blacks. Any setting higher than 3 gave me too much of a grey-black. Anything lower than 3 and the colors were a little too dim. Using Hi Res or 8 Bit mode allowed me to push the brightness down the most because without the black lines from the Dots, Tile, and Scan the animations appear a good bit brighter.

Contrast at 4 seemed to be the sweet spot for keeping the different colors distinct and preventing washout from having the contrast set too high. Low contrast = good color separation but drabber colors and high contrast = popping colors but poor color separation. I previously had my contrast at 8 and brightness at 1, and while the screen "popped" and had good blacks, the colors were not very discernible in many cases. At 5 the colors were much more discernible but I felt I was still getting a tad too much washout in some animations so I stuck with 4. Anything below 4 and the colors were too drab for my taste.

These were just my preferences. I imagine that everyone's settings will depend both on the screen they have (not all of us have the same model LED) and the game they're using it for. This is such a bad ass update. My wife (who rarely plays) noticed the difference without having to tell her.

#633 4 years ago
Quoted from EchoVictor:

Regardless, no matter what mode you have any of the games in, they're badass!
Later,
EV

This is a clear demonstration of the "your perception" vs "pure math" thing. You know it's supposed to be a thin point in the number and you see it that way, the pure math just smooths out what it's got and doesn't know what it's actually supposed to look like, so it can't make assumptions like "even though this is thin here, this should still stay connected".

#634 4 years ago

I

Quoted from epthegeek:This is a clear demonstration of the "your perception" vs "pure math" thing. You know it's supposed to be a thin point in the number and you see it that way, the pure math just smooths out what it's got and doesn't know what it's actually supposed to look like, so it can't make assumptions like "even though this is thin here, this should still stay connected".

Yup, the star field on sttng suffers from dithering errors too. But, I think it's pretty awesome. Going with scan on mine for now.

#635 4 years ago

Rats NNG

#636 4 years ago

Yeah I'd like to see that RS fix before I grab one. Thx Pimp

#637 4 years ago

How long before the bug fixes? FT video mode has issues and there's no link for the old firmware if I want to switch back.

#638 4 years ago

Haven't heard any issues about FT video mode. The old ROMs are still on the site. Just change the version number in the link. Here's the one for Fish Tales.

http://www.colordmd.com/download.php?rom=FT_2_1

#639 4 years ago

OK thanks...on mine the middle targets are plain blue, anyone else have ths issue?

#640 4 years ago

Please send any bug reports with video of the issue to info@colordmd.com and we'll try to investigate.

#641 4 years ago
Quoted from mark9:

OK thanks...on mine the middle targets are plain blue, anyone else have ths issue?

Yep I mentioned this here just got missed.

#642 4 years ago

TSPP is amazing! I keep losing the ball as I watch the screen!

#643 4 years ago

JD looks awesome also. I don't have the game playable yet but the display sure looks good

#644 4 years ago

I am explaining to my wife how when this comes out for Metallica, I am going to be -$400 that day.

She understands .

#645 4 years ago

It has been said many times already, but Randy really puts out an awesome product and as I installed one on tspp I had a question aboit installing alongside another mod. I emailed him and had an answer in literally 3 minutes. I am a customer forever and will be first in line for POTC

#646 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Yeah I'd like to see that RS fix before I grab one. Thx Pimp

I played the hell out of it yesterday and didn't see the bug for what it's worth. Buy it ice! Best mod in pinball after Winter's T-Rex.

#647 4 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

I am explaining to my wife how when this comes out for Metallica, I am going to be -$400 that day.
She understands .

I think your $400 is safe for a while.

Quoted from Maken:

LOTR is tiles over scan for me.
The scores look like crap using scan/hires as it ruins the artistic styling of the numbers.

I'm with you...I think the dots look wonderful. Not a fan of the scan. (Hey! I'm a poet!)

#648 4 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

image-91.jpg 82 KB

FYI, I've been beta testing LOTR v3.2 for Randy, and the aforementioned bug has now been fixed. I have provided Randy with further feedback, and hopefully once incorporated, this new version can go live for the masses.

Great work, as always, Randy.

#649 4 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I thought it was being made soon ): ?

#650 4 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Metallica is already being colorized. I guess it depends on your definition of "a while".

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D MODS
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
There are 856 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 18.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside