(Topic ID: 117227)

ColorDMD Unveils New HD Color Upscaling for All Platforms!

By Dmod

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 856 posts
  • 205 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by MustangPaul
  • Topic is favorited by 40 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 95 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.jpg
ACDC_Hires_Hrons.PNG
DW_Scan_Scores.PNG
IJ_Upscale_ChooseWisely.PNG
FT_Upscale_MonsterFish.PNG
20150330_152249.jpg
Screen Shot 2015-03-30 at 12.41.19 PM.png
image.jpg
Twister Sigma 2.JPG
Twister Sigma 1.JPG
STTNG_Scan_Borg.PNG
FAT32.PNG
FT_Upscale_MonsterFish.PNG
totan 3.jpg
totan 2.jpg
totan 1.jpg

There are 856 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 18.
#451 4 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

The STTNG 3.0 update is now available for download from our site!
http://www.colordmd.com/support_firmware.html

STTNG_Scan_Borg.PNG 20 KB

#452 4 years ago

I'm pretty much just setting all my DMD's to contrast 5, brightness 9, and scan.

Randy, on my ColorDMD on my Sttng I noticed the button that advances through the menus and saves tends to jump ahead, like it has a double press when I hit it. Any advice on this? I was able to get around it, and I guess it likely won't be something I use often.

#453 4 years ago

What is the difference between Hi Res and Scan? Sorry if this has been asked before.
Thanks

#454 4 years ago
Quoted from Foo:

What is the difference between Hi Res and Scan? Sorry if this has been asked before.
Thanks

Scan is high-res with a texture applied to emulate old CRT style scan lines.

#455 4 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Awesome, can somebody tell me what the difference between hi-res an scan is?

#456 4 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Thanks!

#457 4 years ago

hi-res is the upscaling. scan is hi-res with a tiny horizontal break

Quoted from Jam_Burglar:

Awesome, can somebody tell me what the difference between hi-res an scan is?

[hi-res] is the 12x upscaling. [scan] is the hi-res 12x upscaling with a tiny horizontal break between every horizontal "dot" (of the original 32 vertical dots) to mimic a CRT as epthegeek stated

#458 4 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

hi-res is the upscaling. scan is hi-res with a tiny horizontal break

[hi-res] is the 12x upscaling. [scan] is the hi-res 12x upscaling with a tiny horizontal break between every horizontal "dot" (of the original 32 vertical dots) to mimic a CRT as epthegeek stated

I was just joshing. The question was asked and answered mulitple times in this thread.

#459 4 years ago

I tried IJ last night using scan and love it! Much brighter graphics now so I turned the brightness down a notch for better blacks. Looking forward to trying STTNG tonight. Can't wait to check out all the ColorDMD games at TPF next month.

#460 4 years ago

The best example I could find:

Go to the first post in this thread.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-unveils-new-hd-color-upscaling#post-2218026

Scroll down to Bart on the skateboard. He is in SCAN.
Under that, Millhouse with the gun thing is in HIRES.

#461 4 years ago

Overwhelming..whats the best choice so far for LOTR? Thanks

#463 4 years ago
Quoted from Hwawonyu:

Overwhelming..whats the best choice so far for LOTR? Thanks

I prefer scanlines for LotR.

#464 4 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

I prefer scanlines for LotR.

+1 on scan

#465 4 years ago

first, i must register a complaint regarding ColorDMD customer service: after submitting a photo of my info screen, it took nearly 3 full minutes for someone to email me back with a valid product key!

as for the update -- it looks fantastic!! before seeing it in person, i was leaning towards 8-bit or high-res, but after installing, i definitely like scan better. i don't know if it's just an illusion, but it seems to have more detail and nuance.

this is on STTNG by the way.

great job guys, thank you!

#466 4 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

The RS 3.0 update is now available for download from our site!
http://www.colordmd.com/support_firmware.html

RS_Scan_MonsterCab.PNG 14 KB

Woohoo! Road Show!!!

#467 4 years ago
Quoted from Jam_Burglar:

The question was asked and answered mulitple times in this thread.

That's why I preapologised.

I asked because I didn't see much difference between the two on my FT. I'll have to look closer tonight.

#468 4 years ago
Quoted from Foo:

I asked because I didn't see much difference between the two on my FT. I'll have to look closer tonight.

FT is made up of a lot of full dot brightness animations. The scan lines only come into play for the non-full-brightness dots. That's probably why it's harder to differentiate on FT.

#469 4 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Ya'll are killing me.
Doctor Who before STTNG.... no way.

It's all moving too quick for me to respond (though I am working on sprites for a very soon to be released title that will make legions happy) but I've been putting in work on DW and fixing bugs for a bit. It's a bit perfectionist if i do say so.

#470 4 years ago

i simply must get this for all my pins. Please let me know when you release Black Hole and Funhouse!

#471 4 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

i simply must get this for all my pins. Please let me know when you release Black Hole and Funhouse!

funhouse might be a while

#472 4 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

It's all moving too quick for me to respond (though I am working on sprites for a very soon to be released title that will make legions happy) but I've been putting in work on DW and fixing bugs for a bit. It's a bit perfectionist if i do say so.

I'm definitely going to be giving it a run at TPF. We had a Doctor Who, want one back at some point...it's just really hard to justify that game in a 4-5 pin collection for me.

Was a fun game to shop out. It gave me some real fits but very rewarding to get it working 100%.

#473 4 years ago

@randy

the high res mode looks nice at my

MM
MB
IJ

hope you will relay TAF and AFM also soon

regards
tom

#474 4 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I'm definitely going to be giving it a run at TPF. We had a Doctor Who, want one back at some point...it's just really hard to justify that game in a 4-5 pin collection for me.
Was a fun game to shop out. It gave me some real fits but very rewarding to get it working 100%.

I can understand that. 7 is really my comfortable max. At some point it may get squeezed out but every time I go back and play after thinking I'm going to sell...

If I could just make time to redo the rules!

#475 4 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

1399-00.jpg

#476 4 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

I can understand that. 7 is really my comfortable max. At some point it may get squeezed out but every time I go back and play after thinking I'm going to sell...
If I could just make time to redo the rules!

I would freaking love to have a DW in my 7 game collection It is tops on my want list.

#477 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

1399-00.jpg 41 KB

What were you thinking when you chose that palette for Black Hole?

#478 4 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

SkitB is in charge of FH2.0

#479 4 years ago
Quoted from herg:

What were you thinking when you chose that palette for Black Hole?

http://www.adafruit.com/products/1399

21 connections per digit! 672 to do Funhouse.

#480 4 years ago

Hopefully CFTBL is next!

#481 4 years ago
Quoted from gac:

Just daydreaming... this would be incredible on Austin Powers. AP SCREAMS for color. Maybe someday...

I agree, I actually emailed them a few weeks back offering to colorize it but I didn't get a response

#482 4 years ago

Are there docs explaining switching modes when you get the 3.0 firmware on your color dmd? Does anyone have / be willing to post video of a game showing examples of the different modes?

Thanks,
Tslayer

#483 4 years ago
Quoted from tslayer71:

Are there docs explaining switching modes when you get the 3.0 firmware on your color dmd? Does anyone have / be willing to post video of a game showing examples of the different modes?
Thanks,
Tslayer

Switching modes is a breeze. From the front of the machine, reach behind the CDMD and depress the rightmost button 4 times to get to the Mode selection, depress the second button to the right to select, then the rightmost button twice more, then the second to right to save settings and exit.

Again:

Far Right Button: 4x
2nd Right Button: till you get what you want
Far Right Button: 2x
2nd Right Button: once to save and exit.

#484 4 years ago

Is TAF available yet...I'll check the site....thanks....mark

#485 4 years ago

don't see it yet....guessing soon.....

#486 4 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

Switching modes is a breeze. From the front of the machine, reach behind the CDMD and depress the rightmost button 4 times to get to the Mode selection, depress the second button to the right to select, then the rightmost button twice more, then the second to right to save settings and exit.
Again:
Far Right Button: 4x2nd Right Button: till you get what you wantFar Right Button: 2x2nd Right Button: once to save and exit.

Good Deal - Thanks!

#487 4 years ago

WH20 and CFTBL? My two other color DMD's.... PLS?

#488 4 years ago

TOM is lost. Anyone find it? LOL

#489 4 years ago

Can't wait to see some more high res videos. Have only see the TSPP promo so far. Someone get a camera and post their LOTR, IJ, or whatever.

#490 4 years ago

I have been considering getting a color dmd for TOTAN....now it's a must have!!!

#491 4 years ago

scared stiff also looks great in scan

#492 4 years ago

Just ordered color dmd for TSPP and FT. Now just need them to get here. Two new color dmds and updates (soon) for TAF and WH2O... I'm having a good week.

#493 4 years ago

But Blackhole won't? LOL!!

Please release for Gofers, Shadow and Metallica!! I will buy

#494 4 years ago
Quoted from mandelbloom:

Gah, I want Shadow! At least we know Metallica is coming and will be awesome.

#495 4 years ago
Quoted from mandelbloom:

believe it or not, that really did go right over my head!

#496 4 years ago

Scan looks awesome on Dredd! Great work guys!

#497 4 years ago

IJ is looking pretty awesome! I like scan mode so far. Still toying with backlight/contrast. What is everyone else setting theirs to and liking?

#498 4 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Scared Stiff also looks great in scan

Scared Stiff looks fantastic!

I have both SS and FT set on scan. I set the contrast at 5 and the turned the brightness up to 9.

Looking forward for TAF to be released.

#499 4 years ago
Quoted from Foo:

Scared Stiff looks fantastic!
I have both SS and FT set on scan.
Looking forward for TAF to be released.

I still NEED afm, wh20, and cftbl!!!!! saved mine for last!

#500 4 years ago

Just finished installing MB. Scan setting with contrast turned all the way down and the brightness up looks remarkable. Thanks for the free, major upgrade!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
There are 856 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 18.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside