(Topic ID: 117227)

ColorDMD Unveils New HD Color Upscaling for All Platforms!

By Dmod

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
ACDC_Hires_Hrons.PNG
DW_Scan_Scores.PNG
IJ_Upscale_ChooseWisely.PNG
FT_Upscale_MonsterFish.PNG
20150330_152249.jpg
Screen Shot 2015-03-30 at 12.41.19 PM.png
image.jpg
Twister Sigma 2.JPG
Twister Sigma 1.JPG
STTNG_Scan_Borg.PNG
FAT32.PNG
FT_Upscale_MonsterFish.PNG
totan 3.jpg
totan 2.jpg
totan 1.jpg

There are 856 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 18.
#1 9 years ago

ColorDMD Unveils New HD Color Upscaling for All Platforms!

ColorDMD Displays, the innovator of the multicolor dot matrix pinball display and SIGMA upscaling platform is pleased to announce the introduction of multicolor 14X upscaling across all new and existing display products!

This exciting new technology will be released beginning with the Simpsons Pinball Party in February! The new upscaling feature is compatible with all existing ColorDMD displays, and the company plans to release ROM updates for existing products.

All multicolor displays will soon include the ability to display classic dots, HD upscaled images, and a textured scan line effect. The unique 14X upscaling created for the ColorDMD provides the sharpest text possible while providing interesting visual effects for animation. Upscaling also produces the best display contrast possible by making use of all available pixels.

High-definition upscaling will be introduced as a FREE upgrade for all products, and keeps with the company's mission to innovate and provide as much value as possible to our customers.

We hope you are excited as we are by these renderings of TSPP! From the entire ColorDMD development team, we thank you all for your continued support!

EDIT: Video added

TSPP_Upscale_Car.PNGTSPP_Upscale_Car.PNG
TSPP_Scan_ExtraBall.PNGTSPP_Scan_ExtraBall.PNG
TSPP_Upscale_Multiball.PNGTSPP_Upscale_Multiball.PNG
TSPP_Scan_Skateboard.PNGTSPP_Scan_Skateboard.PNG
TSPP_Upscale_Stash.PNGTSPP_Upscale_Stash.PNG
TSPP_Scan_DareDevil.PNGTSPP_Scan_DareDevil.PNG
TSPP_Upscale_Bullies.PNGTSPP_Upscale_Bullies.PNG
TSPP_Scan_Couch-13.PNGTSPP_Scan_Couch-13.PNG
TSPP_Upscale_Otto-116.PNGTSPP_Upscale_Otto-116.PNG

TSPP_Scan_I&S.PNGTSPP_Scan_I&S.PNG

#2 9 years ago

Cool, can't wait to try this on LotR!

Looking forward to Metallica, too.

#3 9 years ago

Can't wait to add this to my current color DMD's.

#4 9 years ago

As is usually the case, it looks even better on the machine. It's almost like watching an episode of the Simpsons on TV.

#5 9 years ago

This looks great, i'm so excited and can't wait for the software. I should have my display today or tomorrow Thanks so much ColorDMD team.

#6 9 years ago

Wow. Can we see some video of it?

#7 9 years ago

Very cool. I wonder if it will help some of the highly compressed stern animations such as iron man?

#8 9 years ago

Aw, hell, yeah! I was just thinking yesterday that I was getting too used to Sigma upscaling on the three games I have them in that haven't been colored yet. It was going to be a little bit of a let down once I upgraded them to full color, but lost upscaling. No more downside! Bravo!

#9 9 years ago

Still waiting on screen adjustment tools for older releases...so this should be out for my STTNG sometime around a year and a half from now, unless I'm getting a early release because our game will be in your booth at TPF? lol.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Wow. Can we see some video of it?

There will be a TSPP preview video out soon. In motion it is something else to see. It's really like putting a whole new style of display in a game and is so fitting to TSPP.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

There will be a TSPP preview video out soon. In motion it is something else to see. It's really like putting a whole new style of display in a game and is so fitting to TSPP.

Yeah, I have a feeling this is going to really stand out for the 'cartoony' type DMD animations.. will probably look amazing on Metallica too.

#12 9 years ago

I'm curious what changed since the various seminars where it was said the current hardware generation wasn't strong enough to muscle both the color and the upscaling. New algorithm? Fewer frames per second? Great news, for sure, just surprising given what's been said previously.

#13 9 years ago

I'd love to see how this will look on TAF, WH2O, etc.

#14 9 years ago

Awesome news, can't wait for the older re-releases and the new one to come too. Looks like I need to order a few more displays for the upcoming titles.

#15 9 years ago

#17 9 years ago

Wow, looks very nice. I was planning to order a color DMD for TSPP anyway and this is just a bonus.

#18 9 years ago

This is really cool. Would love to see this on ToM!

#19 9 years ago

looking forward to checking this out on my FT

#20 9 years ago

I swear I already had this option on my tz sigma? Is this something totally different?

#21 9 years ago

You can set them to any single color in Sigma mode, but this is full color sigma mode

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from Chrizg:

You can set them to any single color in Sigma mode, but this is full color sigma mode

O ok I dont have any full color yet so I just figured it already had the option I use it in white on tz and its very nice looks modern

#23 9 years ago

This will be my first can't wait.

#24 9 years ago

Wow! Simpsons is the perfect title to debut this addition! Can't wait!

#25 9 years ago

Very exciting news. Finally 1970's-1980's technology Dots are dying away and cartoon like animation is taking over.

Also, it is awesome that you are providing the upgrades FREE!

#26 9 years ago

Oh hey what's this thread about?.....

Ahh I see.

It's about to cost me $400.

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

I'm curious what changed since the various seminars where it was said the current hardware generation wasn't strong enough to muscle both the color and the upscaling. New algorithm? Fewer frames per second? Great news, for sure, just surprising given what's been said previously.

While I don't know the specifics of how Randy managed it, the hardware was already stretched thin. Being the creative and ingenious guy he is, I think he just went back and reworked a lot of the engine. I just know the crazy hours he has put in and we were all surprised he managed to make this happen. I believe it is something he has been working on for quite some time. Randy likes to wait till things are ready or at the precipice before announcing.

#28 9 years ago

Dude, when this gets released for Metallica, I will definitely be making this purchase.

Quoted from shimoda:

Randy likes to wait till things are ready or at the precipice before announcing.

Yeah, because he knows customers don't like having their chains yanked for months and years. He is a wise man.

#29 9 years ago

Simply awesome!!! Can't wait to experience this in person!

#30 9 years ago

The effect looks even better in motion.

Super stoked for Metallica now, it's going to look amazing.

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Anyone have a rough ETA on Met?

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Butt but but, I thought you said you preferred Dots over smoothing?

#33 9 years ago

Ordered for TSPP.

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Butt but but, I thought you said you preferred Dots over smoothing?

I think I still do, I love the old school feel. I haven't seen the new color smoothing in person yet though, only on an iPhone video. I have to admit, TSPP in full color, smoothed, in motion looked pretty damn sweet.

There's no question when I get Metallica I'm going to try it out. If I like it better I'll admit Randy won me over.

One thing that's cool about the no-dots deal is it makes the display feel brighter, because you're not running all those black pixels. So that may help sway me, we'll see.

#35 9 years ago

I still want OLED Color DMD lol.

#36 9 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

Anyone have a rough ETA on Met?

Don't quote me on this, because I may be remembering wrong, but I thought they said Spring. Whether I run dots or smoothing there's no question I'm getting the Metallica ColorDMD. The dots on that game are just brilliant, might be my all time favorite DMD, and the amount of details they're adding to the color is going to make it look incredible.

#37 9 years ago

I would like to see what could be done with a frame or two in SM in colorized upscaling.

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I still want OLED Color DMD lol.

Now your talkin.

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

I'm curious what changed

I would assume SmartDMD is what changed.

From the stills, I hate the color upscaling. Dots may look old-school, but the upscale just looks like bad artwork. This may look different/better in motion, but in the stills it just looks like the artist had the shakes. I'm probably wrong though since everyone else seems to think it looks awesome.

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

From the stills, I hate the color upscaling. Dots may look old-school, but the upscale just looks like bad artwork. This may look different/better in motion, but in the stills it just looks like the artist had the shakes. I'm probably wrong though since everyone else seems to think it looks awesome.

Good thing it is optional to use then.

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

i agree with you on the upscaling look. hopefully in motion will look better/different.

than again, i would probably play with it set to colored dots anyways.

#42 9 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

This is pretty much the same conversation we had back when the Sigma upscaling was introduced. Some like it, some don't. That's why it's an option.

Oh, and you can't be wrong since it's just an opinion.

#43 9 years ago

Can't wait to see what this does for LOTR.

#44 9 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

The existence of the competing project doesn't make Randy's hardware setup magically stronger. Something drastic had to shift on the tech. Either Randy found some ways to re-write things to be more efficient, or some other corners had to be cut. That's what I was curious about.

I'm also wondering what the schedule looks like for back porting the updated features to the existing releases. Is the patch process simple and they'll roll out in short order? Or is there a hefty amount of work needed to update previous releases?

#45 9 years ago

This was probably covered, but will this enhance sigma single color displays? I got one on STLE and TWDLE, and TZ, just wondering if this just affects multi-colored displays or all displays?

#46 9 years ago

Here's a few shots that might be interesting and show evolution of the ColorDMD with direct comparison of the original dot artwork and upscaled images. If you prefer dots, we're happy to provide them as both features are available at the press of a button.

Video will be posted later this week.

TSPP_Orange_Stash.PNGTSPP_Orange_Stash.PNG TSPP_Dots_Stash.PNGTSPP_Dots_Stash.PNG TSPP_Upscale_Stash.PNGTSPP_Upscale_Stash.PNG
#47 9 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Randy was already working on this regardless of what was happening elsewhere. Since I started coloring DW over a year ago he has been constantly working to improve his product while keeping all changes compatible to all existing hardware.

The stills are what is ready to show right now. Remember that you won't see individual stills when playing and as animations they look great - my opinion. The display definitely looks brighter and thus the nonlit pixels blacker.

As for corners being cut - I think Randy just found a different/better way to get the hardware working. I've seen nothing but improvements in the way this looks. As has been mentioned before, there is no loss of brightness data or anything else with CDMD. The smoothing on other titles looks great as well (from the couple I've seen). When I first saw this in the machine I couldn't believe how good it looked, how new.

#48 9 years ago

absolutely stunning looking

#49 9 years ago

in past i have send this idea to Randy, soon it can be available !! great woW
because stern colordmd need to be modern on the screen lines
sure it's better

#50 9 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

Here's a few shots that might be interesting and show evolution of the ColorDMD with direct comparison of the original dot artwork and upscaled images.

See what I mean about the brightness? Move back from your monitor a bit, maybe even squint a little, and then compare the brightness level of the middle dots image to the upscaled on.

That might be enough to push me into giving up dots.

There are 856 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 18.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-unveils-new-hd-color-upscaling and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.