2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 120 posts
  • 48 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Shapeshifter
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 18 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_3502 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3496 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2792 (resized).JPG
    board (resized).jpg
    IMG_2791 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2790 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2789 (resized).JPG
    error (resized).JPG
    board (resized).JPG
    IMG_1775_(resized).JPG
    SpikeCoverRemoved_(resized).jpg
    SpikePowerCover_(resized).jpg
    BigTwinkee_(resized).PNG
    OpoQQ_(resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1450668956991_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg

There are 120 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 2 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

I won't be getting to it until I finish a few jukebox orders. So it's just sitting in the workshop now, but it will be more than a shop job. Wireforms will be sent for replating and sanctum wear repaired and painted. So might as well use the ColorDMD for a bit and enjoy all the non-redness.

O yea wire forms being sent out id definitely be switching out bc that may take some time.

#52 2 years ago

Original post updated with information on using the SIGMA display in a SPIKE game.

#53 2 years ago
    Quoted from Dmod:

Original post updated with information on using the SIGMA display in a SPIKE game.

Thanks for that. Somehow I had a hunch that multi-color support for Spike wouldn't necessarily come as a free ROM update for existing ColorDMD hardware.

#56 2 years ago

I sure hope multicolor eventually gets supported. Doesn't sound imminent though.

#57 2 years ago
    Quoted from Chippewa-Pin:

I sure hope multicolor eventually gets supported. Doesn't sound imminent though.

By multicolor is that where the display goes from color to color in sigma mode that I've seen people link up with their speaker light kits?

#58 2 years ago

I mean that it has multicolor like the one in my ToM vs a single selectable color.

#59 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

By multicolor is that where the display goes from color to color in sigma mode that I've seen people link up with their speaker light kits?

The SIGMA dynamic color-changing feature is supported for SPIKE. Multicolor in the announcement refers to full frame-by-frame colorization.

#60 2 years ago
    Quoted from Dmod:

The SIGMA dynamic color-changing feature is supported for SPIKE. Multicolor in the announcement refers to full frame-by-frame colorization.

Thanks!

#61 2 years ago
    Quoted from Dmod:

Multicolor in the announcement refers to full frame-by-frame colorization.

That's what I'm looking forward to. Really hope you can make it happen.

#62 2 years ago

For Spike, I used an external power supply that has 5 and 12 volts. Like this: amazon.com link »

In the backbox below the game's (noisy) power supply there's a metal plate. Behind this plate is a connector that has 110volts that powers on/off with the game. This is separate from the service outlet which is on all the time the game is plugged in.

Power plate

2 nuts hold the plate on and beneath it is the connector.

SpikeCoverRemoved_(resized).jpg

Unplug the game, cut 110 end off your power supply and install connector. Plug in and put plate on. Easy to do and no additional drain on the games power supply.

For the colorDMD end, see the top post for the pinouts of the PCB.

#63 2 years ago

Can we get an exact link to the power converters that we're supposed to buy?

#64 2 years ago
    Quoted from nerbflong:

For Spike, I used an external power supply that has 5 and 12 volts. Like this: amazon.com link »
    In the backbox below the game's (noisy) power supply there's a metal plate. Behind this plate is a connector that has 110volts that powers on/off with the game. This is separate from the service outlet which is on all the time the game is plugged in.

2 nuts hold the plate on and beneath it is the connector.

Unplug the game, cut 110 end off your power supply and install connector. Plug in and put plate on. Easy to do and no additional drain on the games power supply.
    For the colorDMD end, see the top post for the pinouts of the PCB.

Wow nice... much cheaper than the 50-60 board

#65 2 years ago
    Quoted from Paul_from_Gilroy:

Thanks for that. Somehow I had a hunch that multi-color support for Spike wouldn't necessarily come as a free ROM update for existing ColorDMD hardware.

Why? That's what you're paying for in the first place.

#67 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Why? That's what you're paying for in the first place.

So that's kinda the point. If you're buying a ColorDMD now thinking you can later download a free update to get frame-by-frame multi-color support for Spike, you might be disappointed. On the other hand, maybe it will happen. It's not guaranteed. Why did I have a hunch that multi-color support for Spike wouldn't necessarily come as a free ROM update for existing ColorDMD hardware? I just figured that it might not be trivial to implement, and I noticed that Randy never promised it would actually happen. This morning he clarified it very nicely in the original post. Of course I still think for many people it might make sense to buy a ColorDMD now, knowing that you get multi-color support for many games, and only Sigma support for Spike games (and no guarantee that you'll get a free multi-color Spike upgrade in the future).

#68 2 years ago
    Quoted from Paul_from_Gilroy:

So that's kinda the point. If you're buying a ColorDMD now thinking you can later download a free update to get frame-by-frame multi-color support for Spike, you might be disappointed. On the other hand, maybe it will happen. It's not guaranteed. Why did I have a hunch that multi-color support for Spike wouldn't necessarily come as a free ROM update for existing ColorDMD hardware? I just figured that it might not be trivial to implement, and I noticed that Randy never promised it would actually happen. This morning he clarified it very nicely in the original post. Of course I still think for many people it might make sense to buy a ColorDMD now, knowing that you get multi-color support for many games, and only Sigma support for Spike games (and no guarantee that you'll get a free multi-color Spike upgrade in the future).

ColorDMD has first and foremost always been about the full color games. Usually when people buy a display, it's for a specific game. You're always paying for the display and the full color rom support, even if you just buy one for Sigma use. When SPIKE games are colorized, you'll be able to get the rom just like WPC, WPC'95, DE, Sega, Whitestar and SAM. There's zero reason to think they'd ever charge for a color rom, so that's why I think it's odd that you went there...stuff like this can spread into baseless rumors - so let's just nip this in the bud now and end it.

#69 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

stuff like this can spread into baseless rumors - so let's just nip this in the bud now and end it.

That was my thoughts exactly. Needless worrying. Sure, nothing in the future is a guarantee, but if you spend your life worrying about what might happen, you end up wasting your life away and not having any fun.

Did you hear that the government is going to start taxing the air we breathe?

#70 2 years ago

The purchase of a display only provides access to the library of supported titles and features up to that point. There should not be any expectation of further development.

Support for future titles or features may require changes to the hardware platform that prevent forward compatibility.

That said, we have not charged for firmware updates to existing platforms nor do we plan to begin doing so in the future.

#71 2 years ago

The SIGMA 3.1 beta ROM has been posted to the SUPPORT page.

http://www.colordmd.com/support_firmware.html

#72 2 years ago
    Quoted from Dmod:

The SIGMA 3.1 beta ROM has been posted to the SUPPORT page.
    http://www.colordmd.com/support_firmware.html

Very cool!! Thanks, Randy, for all your hard work.

#73 2 years ago

One thing's for sure, ColorDMD is one of the best (if not THE best) upgrade you can get for supported DMD games. I remember the first time I saw one, in beta, at the Pacific Pinball Exposition in Marin. At that point, I thought it was an expensive novelty I would never own. Well, my first impression was way off. More and more games were supported and I've purchased 4 of the things over the last few years. Can't wait to see what they come up with next!

#74 2 years ago

Won't the Spike ColorDMD kit eventually come with any power conversion hardware necessary to run it? I'm going to hold off until a full Spike kit is assembled. I love the SIGMA but until it goes frame by frame color I can wait to make sure the hardware is fully developed.

#75 2 years ago

I've got a couple of extra ColorDMDs hanging around just waiting on GB Premium to come in so I can try this out. Thanks Randy!

As an aside, if anyone has any hesitation with the quality of ColorDMD or the quality of the support, don't. I have bought several, only ever had problem with one and Randy resolved it immediately. It is by far my favorite mod. It is expensive, but the best part is that if I go to sell a machine I can put the old display back in, and re-use the Color DMD on my next one.

#76 2 years ago

This is yellow, HIRES, Contrast 4, Backlight 9.

#77 2 years ago
    Quoted from Sparky:

» YouTube video

Cool. Major upgrade for KISS.

#78 2 years ago
    Quoted from Sparky:

» YouTube video

The video bits would probably look even better with another bump down or two on the contrast.

#79 2 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

The video bits would probably look even better with another bump down or two on the contrast.

It looks better with the naked eye than it does on the camera. I'm a horrible photographer.

What we need is the same person who fixed the video segments in SM to take on colorizing KISS!

#80 2 years ago
    Quoted from Sparky:

It looks better with the naked eye than it does on the camera. I'm a horrible photographer.
    What we need is the same person who fixed the video segments in SM to take on colorizing KISS!

I'm not going anywhere near Kiss (or GOT for that matter). Someone else might, but not me.

#81 2 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

I'm not going anywhere near Kiss (or GOT for that matter). Someone else might, but not me.

Damn. I wish I lived nearby so I could lend you my Slugfest to colorize. I bet you could do it in 3 days. haha

2 weeks later
    #82 2 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

You should just start binge watching Game of Thrones now so your are ready!

#83 2 years ago

Pretty easy installation into GB Pro. Just need to install some black weatherstrip foam around the edges to seal out the speaker light visible from the sides.

IMG_1775_(resized).JPG

#84 2 years ago

Looks great. Too bad Stern didn't do a green dmd to start with.

#85 2 years ago
    Quoted from JimB:

I completely agree, especially on the LE. I think GB will look awesome in colour!

Rob

#86 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rob_G:

I completely agree, especially on the LE. I think GB will look awesome in colour!
    Rob

I hope someone is working on it now. That's one mod I have to have for this game.....as if my Pro doesn't have enough mods on it now.

#87 2 years ago
    Quoted from JimB:

Because it's cheaper for them to let you guys do all the work.

1 month later
    #88 2 years ago

Looking forward to more updates about Sigma for Spike games.

2 months later
    #89 2 years ago

Anyone install an LED colordmd in a spike game yet? I would love to see a video of that.

#90 2 years ago

I also don't see the difference right now of putting in a green dmd or white with green filter. These videos don't appear to be full color. Not sure I follow the advancement here...

#91 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bay78:

Anyone install an LED colordmd in a spike game yet? I would love to see a video of that.

Spike games will be LCD not LED, LED displays are for only T3, CV and a couple of others. I have one in my T3 and it's great.

#92 2 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

I also don't see the difference right now of putting in a green dmd or white with green filter. These videos don't appear to be full color. Not sure I follow the advancement here...

JimB was talking about putting in a Sigma color screen and making it green until they come out with a color file for it. The Sigma in my ST Pro is blue until they come out with a color file for it.....which hopefully will be soon. So whoever is working on it if you could hurry up a bit.

#93 2 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Spike games will be LCD not LED, LED displays are for only T3, CV and a couple of others. I have one in my T3 and it's great.

I thought all DE games were intended to be LED. GnR, Star Wars and TOMMY are. Mounting would be much easier on all of them. Thought JP and LAH were also being worked on for it.

Re: colouring Spike games ... software support may be incoming, but I'm not sure the colouration will be very forthcoming. GoT will be a nightmare with all the video. Ghostbusters was blatantly planned to be a colour LCD originally, with tons of downscaled 3D modeled animations with independent sprites and the camera tilting and panning, and would be the toughest game of all. I doubt anyone will bother with WWE, and KISS whilst not being as rife as GoT with video will still be a pain (and not very popular).

#94 2 years ago
    Quoted from rubberducks:

I thought all DE games were intended to be LED. GnR, Star Wars and TOMMY are. Mounting would be much easier on all of them. Thought JP and LAH were also being worked on for it.
    Re: colouring Spike games ... software support may be incoming, but I'm not sure the colouration will be very forthcoming. GoT will be a nightmare with all the video. Ghostbusters was blatantly planned to be a colour LCD originally, with tons of downscaled 3D modeled animations with independent sprites and the camera tilting and panning, and would be the toughest game of all. I doubt anyone will bother with WWE, and KISS whilst not being as rife as GoT with video will still be a pain (and not very popular).

You can get a LCD for any of the DE games. You just have to talk with them to get it. They just wanted the easier option on their store because they didn't want people buying the LCD and when it arrives realizing the modifying they have to do to get it to work.

Video isn't really that tough. I've never done it but it almost sounds easier than normal animations. The work is finding the corresponding screenshots but if you can recognize all of the sequences it sounds painless. I definitely think GOT would be a priority and popular as a Color DMD. Coloring the soupy video is a very big improvement.

#95 2 years ago

Video definitely isn't easier than 'traditional' DMD animations, quite the opposite ... probably easier than some of the stuff in GB though.

#96 2 years ago

The Chroma LED displays work in SPIKE games and the new Chroma controller board includes an onboard 5V regulator to simplify installation. Chroma displays only requires a 12V power source.

The Chroma board also includes a standard four-pin +GRB connector to allow an external RGB controller to control the color of the display.

#97 2 years ago
    Quoted from Dmod:

The Chroma LED displays work in SPIKE games and the new Chroma controller board includes an onboard 5V regulator to simplify installation. Chroma displays only requires a 12V power source.
    The Chroma board also includes a standard four-pin +GRB connector to allow an external RGB controller to control the color of the display.

Looks like I was wrong. Thanks.

#98 2 years ago
    Quoted from Dmod:

Awesome, I would still love to see some video of it running in a Spike. Any Spike ColorDMD video I find is LCD only.

#99 2 years ago

next week you will find a video chroma in GB Prem

#100 2 years ago
    Quoted from rubberducks:

Video definitely isn't easier than 'traditional' DMD animations, quite the opposite ... probably easier than some of the stuff in GB though.

Are you speaking from experience?

It's definitely easier than a lot of the newer Stern games that use dots. TWD, ST

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 89.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 65.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Texas Pinball
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 28.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 44.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 29.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 400.00
    Boards
    Great American Pinball
    $ 159.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Pinball Pimp
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 305.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    ...redshiftLED
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 69.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 32.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 39.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 100.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    There are 120 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside