2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 120 posts
  • 48 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Shapeshifter
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 18 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_3502 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3496 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2792 (resized).JPG
    board (resized).jpg
    IMG_2791 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2790 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2789 (resized).JPG
    error (resized).JPG
    board (resized).JPG
    IMG_1775_(resized).JPG
    SpikeCoverRemoved_(resized).jpg
    SpikePowerCover_(resized).jpg
    BigTwinkee_(resized).PNG
    OpoQQ_(resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1450668956991_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg

There are 120 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 2 years ago

SPIKE IS COMING

...You were expecting Winter?

SPIKE IS COMING

Video Preview Added Below!

INFORMATION ON USING A COLORDMD IN A SPIKE GAME

ColorDMD has added support for the SPIKE game platform to the SIGMA (single-color) ROM. The SIGMA ROM is the standard shipping ROM for the ColorDMD and allows custom selection of color and display effect. Multicolor for SPIKE is not supported by this update. The company has not yet determined if/how multicolor for SPIKE will be supported, or whether changes to our hardware platform will be required. Only consider the purchase of a ColorDMD if the currently supported features meet your requirements.

Installation of a ColorDMD in a SPIKE game requires:
    (1) a SIGMA-SAM/WS display (or ColorDMD with SAM/WS installation cables)
    (2) a clear display shield to replace the red one that ships with the game
    (3) a set of hex standoffs to mount to metal Stern speaker panels
    (4) a DC/DC converter or other power supply to provide 5V and 12V to the ColorDMD

Items (1)-(3) are available through our store site. The shield and standoffs for mounting are offered as a combined kit on the ACCESSORIES page of our store site.

DC/DC converters for SPIKE games are currently available from Mezel Mods and Pinball Life. Other external power supplies can also be used provided they can support a minimum of 1A on 12V, 250mA on 5V, and share a common ground with the game.

**WARNING**
    The ColorDMD PWR and AUX connectors are configured as
    1 5V (Gray wire)
    2 GND (Black wire)
    3 12V (Gray/Yellow wire)
    4 KEY
    Do not cross 5V and 12V or you will damage the 1.2V regulator on the ColorDMD controller and your board will need to be repaired!
    **WARNING**

Except for the addition of a power converter, installation in a SPIKE game is the same as SAM games with metal speaker panels. Installation instructions for SAM games are available on the SUPPORT page of our website.

The SIGMA colordmd.rom update for SPIKE can be obtained from our firmware support page. This ROM is currently in beta testing. If we make changes to the ROM prior to release, we will post a notice here and on the support page.

After updating the display with the SIGMA colordmd.rom file, enter the display menus and change the MOUNTING setting to SPIKE. Then advance through the menus to SAVE AND EXIT and press one of the middle buttons to select.

If you install a ColorDMD in a SPIKE game, we'd love to see the results. Please post videos here!

#2 2 years ago

download_(resized).jpg

#4 2 years ago

Could it be GOT?!?

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from Beyndtstng:

Could it be GOT?!?

Sigma display for any of the SPIKE games. It will work with them all.
    Can someone say....Ghostbusters?

#6 2 years ago

Yeah, this isn't a GOT color announcement. Shift back down a few gears.

#7 2 years ago

Will a current ColorDMD work in a Spike game, or will there be a new ColorDMD display made for Spike games? Reason I ask is that I have a spare ColorDMD, and I'd love to just do a USB update to make it work- I'd hate to have to sell it and buy another one.

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from kpg:

Will a current ColorDMD work in a Spike game, or will there be a new ColorDMD display made for Spike games? Reason I ask is that I have a spare ColorDMD, and I'd love to just do a USB update to make it work- I'd hate to have to sell it and buy another one.

It's the same display as is currently available. Getting the voltage to hook it up is the tricky bit. Wdpvideo posted how he wired his up in a different thread, but in his video you can see that the proper support for spike isn't in it yet, so the display is flickery.

Heres the thread about the wiring: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gotle-colordmd-installation

#9 2 years ago

Big buck hunter?
    Looks like a deer in the end picture.

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from RVH:

Big buck hunter?
    Looks like a deer in the end picture.

It's from GOT. Not sure that means they have colored that yet, but just glad they support Spike now!

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

It's from GOT. Not sure that means they have colored that yet, but just glad they support Spike now!

Yea I recognized it as well...

#12 2 years ago

Sigma support for all the spike games...GB, KISS, GOT and WWE.

#13 2 years ago

Awesome. Way to go Randy!

#14 2 years ago

Kiss! That game weeps with red a DMD.

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mudflaps:

Kiss! That game weeps with red a DMD.

Now you can choose any of the 96 colors Sigma display offers.

#16 2 years ago

Could be a while but color for the spike games would be awesome!!! Kiss for sure could use it as the red is awful....this is great news!!!

#17 2 years ago

Getcha one chuckwurt

#18 2 years ago

Doesnt Stern have to complete the code to truly colorized any of these Spike games? I don't think any of the Spike games are complete.

#19 2 years ago

I can't wait. I think this will be my next mod

#20 2 years ago

The only thing that I don't care for with GB is the display. Color would do wonders for it. Let's see, $400 for a ColorDMD or a not-so-cool topper.

#21 2 years ago
    Quoted from yuriijos:

Doesnt Stern have to complete the code to truly colorized any of these Spike games? I don't think any of the Spike games are complete.

Good point.

Another consideration is that ColorDMD is doing development work for the Spike platform so they can support Wrestlemania, Kiss, Game of Thrones, and Ghostbusters, and that's it. I think it's somewhat likely we've seen the last non-color Stern release.

#22 2 years ago
    Quoted from yuriijos:

Depends on the people who want to colorize these games. Who knows when the best time to colorize what is released? For all we know, Stern can release new game code all the way to the end of the 3 year production of the games. New Stern game code would equal to more color work once it released and anyone who had their game colorized, would want the new frames colorized yesterday. It is pretty much a double-edge sword when colorizing the SPIKE games.

#23 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Stern can release new game code all the way to the end of the 3 year production of the games.

What? They wouldn't do that. And it certainly wouldn't affect the colorDMD. *COUGH*AVENGERS*COUGH*DIE*

#24 2 years ago

Depends on the people who want to colorize these games. Who knows when the best time to colorize what is released? For all we know, Stern can release new game code all the way to the end of the 3 year production of the games. New Stern game code would equal to more color work once it released and anyone who had their game colorized, would want the new frames colorized yesterday. It is pretty much a double-edge sword when colorizing the SPIKE games.

I might be in the minority here, but I would happily not update my code and keep my game colorized.

#25 2 years ago

Been running Kiss in a white HD since December and it looks so much better than red dots. A few images are not there, but even at 90% image it's still preferable.

#26 2 years ago

VIDEO PREVIEW OF SIGMA SUPPORT FOR SPIKE!
    The ROM update is currently in beta testing. If you have a ColorDMD in a SPIKE game, contact us if you'd like to participate. Installation of the ColorDMD in a SPIKE game requires a power converter to generate 12V and 5V. Both Mezel Mods and Pinball Life are selling converters.
    Thanks very much to Dave Timmer for providing the video and support to help make this available.

Added over 3 years ago: Thanks also to Martin Reynolds of Pinbits for his help to get this running!

#27 2 years ago
    Quoted from Dmod:

VIDEO PREVIEW OF SIGMA SUPPORT FOR SPIKE!
    The ROM update is currently in beta testing. If you have a ColorDMD in a SPIKE game, contact us if you'd like to participate. Installation of the ColorDMD in a SPIKE game requires a power converter to generate 12V and 5V. Both Mezel Mods and Pinball Life are selling converters.
    Thanks very much to Dave Timmer for providing the video and support to help make this available.
    » YouTube video

Count me in.

#28 2 years ago
    Quoted from Dmod:

Are you planning, or may I suggest, that you sell those adapters through your store so we can order everything we need in one shot? Just like with the spacer kits. Thanks.

#29 2 years ago

FB_IMG_1450668956991_(resized).jpg

#30 2 years ago

You can buy a ColorDMD Sigma for now, then update to colorized firmware, right? Can't wait to see Ghostbusters colorized! Even the Sigma is an improvement.

#31 2 years ago

What's the outlook for colorizing GB?

#32 2 years ago
    Quoted from jeffsgames:

You can buy a ColorDMD Sigma for now, then update to colorized firmware, right? Can't wait to see Ghostbusters colorized! Even the Sigma is an improvement.

The standard line is: don't buy a display based on expected future titles/compatibility. Buy it for what it can do now.

#33 2 years ago

Personally, I'd get the GB topper over ColorDMD.

OpoQQ_(resized).jpg

Psych.

#34 2 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

Are you planning, or may I suggest, that you sell those adapters through your store so we can order everything we need in one shot? Just like with the spacer kits. Thanks.

I would be surprised if when they are selling these it didn't come with everything you need. I think this statement was for those people who want to participate in beta testing, since those people would already have a display and ColorDMD probably has not settled on their power connection option.

#35 2 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

The standard line is: don't buy a display based on expected future titles/compatibility. Buy it for what it can do now.

Agree! Have had 3 ColorDMDs. Great product. I think full color will look great on GB, but I'll wait and see first.

#37 2 years ago

Should probably add "Sigma" to the title of the Youtube video. Just for clarity.

#38 2 years ago
    Quoted from kapsreiter:

» YouTube video

So do you choose the color it shows? Looks good

#39 2 years ago
    Quoted from Beyndtstng:

So do you choose the color it shows? Looks good

The current ColorDMD uses an LCD color screen. The SIGMA (single-color) ROM for the ColorDMD allows choice of color and display effect. This is the standard ROM for shipping, and allows the display to be used with games that have not yet been colorized.

Both videos have the HI-RES upscaling mode enabled which smooths the space between the dots. The picture at the top was using TILE which replaces the dots with large squares.

#40 2 years ago

Just played a few more games on GOT tonight. Wow, the ColorDMD really looks fantastic!! So nice to get rid of the red and the grid lines!!

#41 2 years ago

I'm going to buy the converter and take the ColorDMD out of the Shadow I'm doing a full tear down on. Can't wait to have our GoT Pro looking proper!

Is this the correct part needed?

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=4052

#42 2 years ago

So as of right now will only be one color? Will you be working or are you working on full color?

#43 2 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

I'm going to buy the converter and take the ColorDMD out of the Shadow I'm doing a full tear down on. Can't wait to have our GoT Pro looking proper!
    Is this the correct part needed?
    http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=4052

Full color shadow for sigma g.o.t? Id keep it in shadow unless it's going to b out of commission for over a week?

#44 2 years ago
    Quoted from bigd1979:

Full color shadow for sigma g.o.t? Id keep it in shadow unless it's going to b out of commission for over a week?

A shop job taken a week? If you're not taking 2 or more months to do a shop job, you're doing something wrong. LOL

#45 2 years ago
    Quoted from Schabs81:

So as of right now will only be one color?

Yes, one color...that is the Sigma display.

Quoted from Dmod:

The current ColorDMD uses an LCD color screen. The SIGMA (single-color) ROM for the ColorDMD allows choice of color and display effect. This is the standard ROM for shipping, and allows the display to be used with games that have not yet been colorized.

Quoted from Schabs81:

Will you be working or are you working on full color?

That is the eventual goal, to have full color.

#46 2 years ago

A shop job taken a week? If you're not taking 2 or more months to do a shop job, you're doing something wrong. LOL

Yep usually ... ? i dont like things sitting around in pieces and not being able to enjoy them so i work as much ss possible to get them done quickly

#47 2 years ago

Yes, I bought one for my GB Pro, haven't put it in yet though. I will also be using it to power my Leg Light Ups.

#48 2 years ago

I love the fact that ColorDMD ROM updates are free downloads. This might sound like a stupid question, but if ColorDMD ROM updates become available for Spike games, will they continue to be free downloads?

#49 2 years ago
    Quoted from Paul_from_Gilroy:

if ColorDMD ROM updates become available for Spike games, will they continue to be free downloads?

Yes.

#50 2 years ago
    Quoted from bigd1979:

I won't be getting to it until I finish a few jukebox orders. So it's just sitting in the workshop now, but it will be more than a shop job. Wireforms will be sent for replating and sanctum wear repaired and painted. So might as well use the ColorDMD for a bit and enjoy all the non-redness.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 59.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 27.99
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    £ 45.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 8,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 26.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 12.95
    $ 38.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 8,000.00
    $ 45.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 7,199.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 15.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    There are 120 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside