(Topic ID: 48236)

ColorDMD SIGMA/WH2O Release Set for May 2! -- NEW VIDEO ADDED!

By Dmod

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 98 posts
  • 39 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by yzfguy
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN3073.JPG
ColorDMD_New_and_Improved3.jpg
There are 98 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

ColorDMD Displays is excited to announce we have set our May Production Release for Thursday, May 2 at 8:30AM PST! We are pleased to introduce two new products for the ColorDMD platform:

SIGMA - An advanced single-color cisplay featuring customer selection from 49 different color hues and 3 different display effects including classic dots, HD upscaling, and scan lines. SIGMA is compatible with WPC/WPC95 games.

White Water - Our 5th multicolor display since our first product release in April 2012!
We recently announced that beginning with our May release, all ColorDMD displays will support customer software conversions among any of our supported library of SIGMA and multicolor ROMS.

Unlike prior releases, the standard shipping configuration for all ColorDMD products in our May release will be the new SIGMA ROM, as demonstrated on Twilight Zone at the Texas Pinball Festival earlier this year. Product descriptions in our store and support pages will be updated with links to download firmware for easy conversion from the standard configuration to any of our supported multicolor ROMs (AFM, MM, TAF, STTNG, WH2O).

Previously sold displays are also eligible for software conversion, but require request of a new product key from our website. An upcoming announcement in May will provide instructions on how to request an updated product key for your display.

Thank you for your continued support! To receive updated news, please join the mailing list on our website at http://www.colordmd.com!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

JUST ADDED! NEW WHITE WATER COLORDMD VIDEO!

ColorDMD_New_and_Improved3.jpgColorDMD_New_and_Improved3.jpg

#2 10 years ago

Hmm... release on May 2, Allentown starts May 3.....hmm... wish someone would have these in Allentown.

#3 10 years ago

If I'm understanding this, it sounds like if I were to purchase the color dmd for White Water I would have to download firmware to have it display the "dot" version versus the "sigma" version. Also, am I understanding correctly that if I previously bought a color dmd for TAF (which I did in November - vers 1.2) I will be able to download firmware so that it could display the"sigma" version? Does the fact that the color dmd for TAF lights the "THING" lamps have any effect on this? Thanks

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from gac:

Does the fact that the color dmd for TAF lights the "THING" lamps have any effect on this?

I read somewhere, maybe in the first info release about this, that the only restriction on using an older display would be that any game that uses the THING lamps (maybe TAF will be the only one) would not be able to use one of the older displays.

#5 10 years ago

Correct on the first count. The display will ship preconfigured with the SIGMA single-color ROM. To convert it to White Water, you would just download the rom file from our website and reflash the display.

Your TAF display shipped with a Rev 1.3 board that includes the THING lamp interface. There's no issue using a Rev 1.3 board in other games as this is the board we are shipping with the May release.

The Rev 1.2 board used before the TAF October release in 2012 did not have the lamp interface and can't be used to light the THING lamps for TAF but will work in TAF otherwise. Rev 1.2 boards can also be used in SIGMA mode or with supported multicolor ROMs for AFM, MM, STTNG, and WH2O.

To enable your existing board to support firmware conversions, you'll need a new product key which can be requested through the website in a week or two.

Randy

#6 10 years ago

Ok - I think i got it. The new board being released in 5/13 is the same board as I currently have in my TAF. If I want (multi)color specific to White water I will need to download firmware. Likewise, if I wanted to change to SIGMA in my existing TAF color dmd, I would have to download new firmware. How do you change between classic dots, HD upscaling, and scan lines? Thanks for your patience.

#7 10 years ago

The 'COLOR' and 'STYLE' settings for single-color (SIGMA) mode can be selected using the four-button menu system, included on all displays.

#8 10 years ago

Sounds like fun! Can't wait!

#9 10 years ago

Got it. I can't wait! Thanks Randy.

#10 10 years ago

Randy, bump this when you get all this on your website. The Sigma section is still under construction.

And for us no colorized folk, the generic version will allow us to display in one fixed pallet and use the sigma code to normalize out the dots like you did on your TZ demo?

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from Patofnaud:

the generic version will allow us to display in one fixed pallet and use the sigma code to normalize out the dots like you did on your TZ demo?

Yes, the standard configuration for ColorDMDs shipped in May is the SIGMA ROM, color set to white, and the scan line effect enabled. This is the demo configuration we used for TZ.

To use the display in SIGMA mode, just follow the instructions for installation, use the buttons on the back to pick the desired color and style, and then 'SAVE and EXIT' to store the new settings.

#12 10 years ago

Congrats on the big shift in method Randy. Wasn't expecting that so soon. Hopefully it all goes smoothly!

#13 10 years ago

Will you be able to eliminate the dots in the colorized games?

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from Shredso:

Will you be able to eliminate the dots in the colorized games?

Although the techniques we're using now for single-color upscaling could be applied to the colorized games, we're not actively working on this due to other projects. Further development of the upscaling feature will depend on customer interest and a better understanding of the processing requirements.

#15 10 years ago

Dmod, is it possible to put out a list of machines you plan on doing for the remainder of the year?

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Dmod, is it possible to put out a list of machines you plan on doing for the remainder of the year?

I've deliberately avoided answering this for the simple reason that as soon as we announce something like this, people start questioning "Why isn't it done yet?!?" or complain that we're working on the wrong thing.

All I'll say is we've been bringing on help to turn out titles faster, while continuing to evolve the platform. We have two unannounced titles in development now and expect to kick off another two or three over the next few months. Once titles are close to completion, we'll announce them and start bringing them out to shows.

I hope this was vague enough and provided little to no actual information.

#17 10 years ago

Where can we buy these from? Distributors?

#18 10 years ago

Distributors or direct from colordmd. Distributors are listed on the site.

#19 10 years ago

ColorDMD is a very exciting mod for these DMD games. They can't get released quick enough, as most people would say who are looking forward to having color in their favorite machines, including myself. I sure do hope you can eventually get a ColorDMD into Data East machines as well as the Capcom Pinball Magic. Any issues there you know of other than just taking time to making a new platform for those machines?

#20 10 years ago

Randy - that was tremendously vague with absolutely no information. Great job! All I can say is I couldnt be happier with my colordmd installed in my TAF and I cant wait to get one for White Water. Keep up the great work. Taking a few months between titles allows me time to save up a little money.

#21 10 years ago

Man I wish these were going to be available at Allentown

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

I've deliberately avoided answering this for the simple reason that as soon as we announce something like this, people start questioning "Why isn't it done yet?!?" or complain that we're working on the wrong thing.

I'm one of those people that do not like surprises, as well as one of those kids when young, I wanted to open Christmas presents on Christmas Eve. I feel like Christmas is coming way before December rolls around.

#23 10 years ago

So lets say I buy the Sigma mono color DMD and put it in my CFTBL to get a nice green effect. Assuming you offer a full color CFTBL sometime in the future, would I have to pay an upgrade fee to download the firmware to switch over to the color version?

#24 10 years ago

Can the SIGMA enhancements be used on ColorDMD games or only in single-color mode?

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

So lets say I buy the Sigma mono color DMD and put it in my CFTBL to get a nice green effect. Assuming you offer a full color CFTBL sometime in the future, would I have to pay an upgrade fee to download the firmware to switch over to the color version?

You should NOT buy a ColorDMD today and expect it to support future titles or products.

Future products or features could require new hardware interfaces (like TAF did for the lamp interface) or higher processing power than currently supported by the Rev 1.3 board. It's also possible that we quit this craziness tomorrow and never turn out a multicolor product for your favorite game!

With regard to currently available and supported products, there is no fee to convert from SIGMA to any of the supported multicolor ROMs.

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Can the SIGMA enhancements be used on ColorDMD games or only in single-color mode?

Only in single-color mode.

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

You should NOT buy a ColorDMD today and expect it to support future titles or products.
Future products or features could require new hardware interfaces (like TAF did for the lamp interface) or higher processing power than currently supported by the Rev 1.3 board. It's also possible that we quit this craziness tomorrow and never turn out a multicolor product for your favorite game!
With regard to currently available and supported products, there is no fee to convert from SIGMA to any of the supported multicolor ROMs.

so you are saying there is a chance for CFTBL...

#28 10 years ago

So if im understanding correctly, i have to download something to make this work in wh20.

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from doublezo1:

So if im understanding correctly, i have to download something to make this work in wh20.

That's correct. Instructions for reflashing to another ROM are shipped with the display but basically you'll need to:

1. Download the WH2O "colordmd.rom" file from our website
2. Copy it to a USB flash drive and insert into the USB port on the ColorDMD controller board
3. Press and hold a button for 5 seconds

The ColorDMD will automatically install the new firmware and reboot the display.

#30 10 years ago

Thanks for the clarification dmod. Sounds easy enough to do. Thanks.

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from doublezo1:

Just wait for May 2nd when you can order one with the WhiteWater Rom already installed.
http://shop.colordmd.com/colordmd-replacement-display-for-white-water-pinball-machine/

#32 10 years ago

Just wait for May 2nd when you can order one with the WhiteWater Rom already installed.

Unfortunately, the website hasn't been updated yet but will be prior to May 2nd.

The product descriptions will be updated to state that the ColorDMD will ship configured for SIGMA and needs to be reflashed by the customer. We'll also include links to download the correct "colordmd.rom" file to make this as painless as possible.

#33 10 years ago

"We'll also include links to download the correct "colordmd.rom" file to make this as painless as possible."

Painless? Hmmm....I can think of at least 2 of my friends that would be very interested in a ColorDMD for their games, one of them being WhiteWater. Both guys are not computer literate enough to actually do this. Anyway can you can still ship some already preloaded for people as these guys? They like the idea of the plug and play as we got with the previous releases. That is something they are willing to do. The one friend lives 2.5 hours from me, so I would have to actually go out there to help him actually install this new ROM update for him. He is excited about this release.

#34 10 years ago

I would have to actually go out there to help him actually install this new ROM update for him.

The update is to install a USB thumb drive and hold a button....... You'd drive 2.5 hrs to do that on his behalf? He better have a cheese pump and a Pinslut t-shirt waiting...

#35 10 years ago

It is seriously one of the easiest updates to do! I am the exact opposite of computer savvy and even I was able to figure it out.

If your friends need help with it then they probably have no business even owning a pinball machine.

#36 10 years ago

I'm just saying..there are more people out there as well. Some people are willing to try to follow the directions and there are others that are afraid they will really mess it up.
Nothing is simplier than plug and play.

#37 10 years ago

I do agree that Dmod may not be selling to a few customers because of those sort of people, but i have a feeling that the product is desirable enough that many folks will actually take it as some motivation to step out of their comfort zone and learn something new.

#38 10 years ago

Is there any video of this upscaling resolution feature?

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I do agree that Dmod may not be selling to a few customers because of those sort of people

In my opinion, if a person can't be bothered to put a file on a USB stick, insert it into the port, and press a button, they probably shouldn't be swapping out a DMD in the first place. The upside for the ColorDMD guys is that they won't have to provide support for the guys that decide the update process is too hard. The downside is that some people will not understand that this is necessary, buy the display, then complain that it doesn't work.

#41 10 years ago

Can't wait to see the official White Water video.

#42 10 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Is there any video of this upscaling resolution feature?

Martin at Pinball News was nice enough to post this video in his coverage of the Texas Pinball Festival. The video is a little washed out making it hard to see the scan line effect but it gives you the idea.

Full show coverage here: http://www.pinballnews.com/shows/tpf2013/index.html

#43 10 years ago

Both guys are not computer literate enough to actually do this. Anyway can you can still ship some already preloaded for people as these guys?

It really is as simple as clicking a link on a browser and saving the file to a USB drive.

For the initial release we will not ship custom configurations. If you want to help your friends, you could just mail them a USB drive with the correct "colordmd.rom" file installed on it, or have them ship the display to you so you can configure it for them. However, I really don't expect this to be necessary.

Based on customer feedback and support requirements, we'll evaluate the need to offer this service in the future.

#44 10 years ago

Scared Stiff ColorDMD! Why isn't it done yet?! You're working on the wrong game!

#45 10 years ago

CREECH! there are so many cool animations on creature that would look awesome in color.

#46 10 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

CREECH! there are so many cool animations on creature that would look awesome in color.

Yeah, like the strangling chokehold easter egg.

#47 10 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

I think CFTBL would be on the short list as well but based on the earlier response maybe not.

Too bad there isn't a an SDK or similar open source utility so people could program the colors themselves and share their work with others. I'm assuming the logistics of providing that are overwhelming.

If it did exist though it would increase the library of colorized games at a much faster rate. ColorDMD would still make their money since the Sigma HW is the same price as a preprogrammed color DMD. I think having more games available would drive sales of the hardware significantly.

I love how the color games they released so far look. If I had any of those games in my collection I'd definately upgrade.

#48 10 years ago

This is awesome news Randy. I've purchased two displays for games and I could never even imagine going back to orange on them. Now, you can speculate on future titles, buy a ColorDMD AND use it in the mean time in color mode. Very cool!

#49 10 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Too bad there isn't a an SDK or similar open source utility so people could program the colors themselves and share their work with others.

I think what you're proposing is happening, but by having people partner with us to get games done faster and maintain quality.

Games are coming out pretty quickly now. We've put out 5 titles in the last 12 months, and are targeting another 5 before the end of the year... in addition to evolving the platform. We're hoping to have support for most of the highly requested titles by this time next year.

#50 10 years ago

I'm one of the least tech savvy people around and I was able to do the update to version 1.1 for TAF and adjust the lighting for the Thing lights. Truly, if I can do it, a Reese's chimp can do it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

7,699 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

Machine - For Sale
Castle Rock, CO
$ 189.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Indian Land, SC
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 5.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Montpelier, VA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 98 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-sigmawh2o-release-set-for-may-2/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.