Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Dmod
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

I’m experimenting with ColorDMD Sigma Color Changing and getting some unexpected results. I have 5V connected to “+” on the ColorDMD’s Lamp-In connector and, using an Arduino, I send a PWM signal (a value from 0 to 255) to the G, R, and B pins. If I set a value of 255 on all three pins, I see the display’s normal color (I have my ColorDMD set to “50”, a nice bright purple). When I send a value other than 255 to G, R, and B, I get a dim color. For example, if I set the values to 0,0,0, I don't get bright white (I get a not-so-bright cyan). I’ve tried many different values for G, R, and B. Instead of seeing a wide range of colors, I just see a handful of dim colors.

So my question is this. What PWM values do I need to send to the Lamp-In connector if I want to see nice bright colors on the ColorDMD? Like a bright yellow, or white, bright green, etc. Or is it even possible?

#2 6 years ago

Good question for Dmod

#3 6 years ago

R, G, and B are low active which means you set them low to turn on a color. When none of the inputs are low, the display defaults to the color set in the menus.

If you're seeing a bright cyan, it means that G and B are being detected low but R is not. (G+B = cyan)

#4 6 years ago

How fast is your PWM? When you send 0,0,0 is it actually steady low outputs? It does work, or at least it did. I have used it on TZ with an LED strip controller to set a sepia tone (bright white also worked). I also had a PIC microcontroller that monitored the Tron ramp lighting and colored the display to match.

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from Dmod:

R, G, and B are low active which means you set them low to turn on a color. When none of the inputs are low, the display defaults to the color set in the menus.
    If you're seeing a bright cyan, it means that G and B are being detected low but R is not. (G+B = cyan)

Good call Dmod . I hooked R to a different Arduino pin and got it working. There's something I'm still unclear about. Let's say I set G, R, and B to 255 (a steady 5V "high"). The display defaults to the color set in the menus as expected. If I lower the PWM duty cycle on "B", the display turns blue as expected. All good. However, if I slowly lower the duty cycle on "B", from 100% to 0%, the blue doesn't vary in intensity or hue. "G" and "R" behave the same way. Is that the way it's supposed to work? In other words, for me, the ColorDMD controller sees "high" or "low" on each Lamp-In pin and doesn't care about the in-between PWM values. I think that means only 8 colors are possible using the Lamp-In connector.

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

How fast is your PWM? When you send 0,0,0 is it actually steady low outputs? It does work, or at least it did. I have used it on TZ with an LED strip controller to set a sepia tone (bright white also worked). I also had a PIC microcontroller that monitored the Tron ramp lighting and colored the display to match.

As I understand it, the PWM signal coming out of my Arduino Uno is either 490 Hz or 980 Hz (depending on the pin). I don't have an oscilliscope, but I've been assuming that 0 (which is 0% duty cycle) is equivalent to steady low.

#7 6 years ago

The ColorDMD monitors and compensates the levels to maintain (roughly) equal brightness.

PWM can be used to change the relative contributions of R,G, and B to produce intermediate colors.

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from Dmod:

The ColorDMD monitors and compensates the levels to maintain (roughly) equal brightness.
    PWM can be used to change the relative contributions of R,G, and B to produce intermediate colors.

OK. There are certain "bright" colors available via the ColorDMD menu buttons that I would like to reproduce using the Lamp-In connector. For example, 20 is a nice, vivid green. 30 is a bright cyan, and 50 is a bright purple. Is it possible to reproduce those colors via the Lamp-In connector? So far, I haven't been able to reproduce them and I'm getting the impression that it's not possible (due to automatic level control and/or gamma correction). Why do I want bright colors? Well, besides the fact that they look good, I was thinking that at certain points in the game, when things are chaotic, I could detect that and make the ColorDMD change from its default color to something like bright red. So far, the best I've been able to achieve by mixing PWM signals is a dim red.

#9 6 years ago

The display should always put out max brightness. For bright red, set red to zero and the other pins to the same voltage as the + pin.

#10 6 years ago

OK, thanks. I'll play around with it some more. By the way, congrats on your first SPIKE release, Game of Thrones. Looks amazing!

#11 6 years ago

Just an update. Using an Arduino's PWM outputs, I can definitely produce different colors on my ColorDMD by changing relative contributions of G, R, and B. Right now, the thing I can't figure out is how to mimic some of the colors I can get via the ColorDMD menu buttons. A good example is the value "50" in the ColorDMD menu. It's a great color, vivid, bright purple. I haven't found any combination of Lamp-In signals that can produce that color. I'm wondering if certain colors are impossible. Or could it be that I just haven't found the recipe yet? If anyone figures it out, please let me know

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from Paul_from_Gilroy:

Just an update. Using an Arduino's PWM outputs, I can definitely produce different colors on my ColorDMD by changing relative contributions of G, R, and B. Right now, the thing I can't figure out is how to mimic some of the colors I can get via the ColorDMD menu buttons. A good example is the value "50" in the ColorDMD menu. It's a great color, vivid, bright purple. I haven't found any combination of Lamp-In signals that can produce that color. I'm wondering if certain colors are impossible. Or could it be that I just haven't found the recipe yet? If anyone figures it out, please let me know

50 is just magenta (red + blue):
    Red 0
    Green 100%
    Blue 0

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-sigma-color-changing-tech-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.