(Topic ID: 121455)

ColorDMD Rolls Out Support For Monopoly! - Video Preview Released!

By Dmod

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 98 posts
  • 57 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Gov
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
Monopoly_Eleven.PNG
Monopoly_CashGrab.PNG
Monopoly_CopStop.PNG
Monopoly_Chance.PNG
Colour DMD -Monopoly .JPG
Monopoly_Jackpot.PNG

There are 98 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

COLORDMD ROLLS OUT SUPPORT FOR MONOPOLY!

In a move that may raise a few eyebrows, ColorDMD is excited to announce Monopoly as the 19th supported game for the ColorDMD pinball display platform!

Monopoly is the second game colored by Dave Timmer, following work on Road Show released earleir this year! Monopoly is the fourth Stern title to be colorized (following LOTR, TSPP, and AC/DC), and is the fifth new ColorDMD title introduced since the beginning of 2015!

With help from Dave's artistry, Monopoly's Rich Uncle Pennybags has a new spring in his step, guiding you through the game as you hunt for the green. The bright familiar colors from the original board game are back, infused throughout the animation sequences and adding to the fun! Please join us in thanking Dave for his effort to get this one done!

Monopoly represents the most recent release in a series of community led projects, driven by developers with a passion to extend colorization to games that might not otherwise be reached. Coloring and supporting games can be a herculean task at times and we are extremely grateful for the widespread community support that both we and our developers receive.

Monopoly shares the same hardware platform as previous ColorDMD releases, and displays are available now for immediate shipment.

The color ROM for Monopoly is targeted for release by Friday, March 20!

Monopoly_Jackpot.PNGMonopoly_Jackpot.PNG

#2 9 years ago

Own it all!

#3 9 years ago

Lol wtf seriously

Kinda wish I had mine back, neat game but just not much to do.

Soooooo when's METALLICA?

#4 9 years ago

Nice, but for a Monopoly ist not worth in europe.

The prices are extreme high at the Moment for a colordmd in europe

#5 9 years ago

uhggg, really. Can u say SHADOW!!!

#6 9 years ago

Yeah, Shadow would have been a much better choice than Monopoly...it's kind of strange when the ColorDMD costs more than the pin itself...

On the other hand, the weak Euro makes the prices for ColorDMDs go completely crazy in EU, so no more ColorDMDs for me anyway right now.

#7 9 years ago

Time to roll the dice!

#8 9 years ago

Yep, waiting for the Aussie $ to recover a little as well......

Mike.

#9 9 years ago

I may sell my Monopoly if any interest as I would like WNBJM, this announcement may help me! Fun game and there is a bit to do. LAND GRAB is fun.

#12 9 years ago

I think the complainers are missing something here. If this is released on 3/20, that's 8 days after AC/DC. Randy has said that things will start rolling out more quickly, and this supports that.

Someone wanted Monopoly enough to put in the work to get it finished, and that's why this is the game that has been "chosen". All those other requests are likely in the works.

#13 9 years ago

Don't hate on Monopoly too much. It's a fun, light hearted game that just needed a good splash of color; so I colored it. I think it turned out really nice!

#14 9 years ago

Great news! I just got a Monopoly and this will go great with the Pingrafix pin blades and Laseriffic topper!

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from nerbflong:

Don't hate on Monopoly too much. It's a fun, light hearted game that just needed a good splash of color; so I colored it. I think it turned out really nice!

Yeah that's the thing, you have the game and you wanted it done so you did it. So if others are in a hurry for a game to be done why don't they step up and do it. Monopoly has really fun dots and I'll bet it looks great. Thanks for your hard work.

#16 9 years ago

Boo. No Fear or Congo!! Would have been sweet. Why a Stern fest?

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from dawasa:

Boo. No Fear or Congo!! Would have been sweet. Why a Stern fest?

Its not Monopoly INSTEAD OF another title, its Monopoly in addition to other titles that are in progress. There are several people colorizing titles maybe No Fear or Congo are works in progress, only Randy and those colorizing know for sure.

This one is done so its getting released.

#18 9 years ago

Monopoly is a fun light hearted game with easy fast fun shots. Right now its my fav game in my collection. It gets beat up too bad on PS and I think MustangPaul is 100% correct. It has great dots. I can't wait!!

#19 9 years ago

It will be on display at TPF in my Monopoly. Looking forward to seeing it in person. Thanks for you hard work.

#20 9 years ago

Congrats Dave! Look forward to seeing it in person.

#21 9 years ago

You guys are amazing!

#22 9 years ago

I think the guys who complain about what title is being release are actually giving a complement. They see what has been done and are just anxious to see it happen to one of their favorite games.

I'm on the lookout to purchase a Gilligan's Island machine and offer to color for that title. It would be dedicated to all those disappointed when Randy fooled us with the Indiana Jones Release.

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

I'm on the lookout to purchase a Gilligan's Island machine and offer to color for that title. It would be dedicated to all those disappointed when Randy fooled us with the Indiana Jones Release.

I really want to play a nice Gillian's Island. I've only played a totally crappy one on location.

#24 9 years ago

Well I suppose this release gives hope that if Monopoly is up for the ColorDMD treatment, nearly every DMD game is viable

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from mot:

I really want to play a nice Gillian's Island. I've only played a totally crappy one on location.

As do I. It has been my guilty pleasure game for years.

#26 9 years ago

I still wish the coloring would be open for everyone. I guess many more pins would have been done and you had several options to choose from. I see that every new pin could mean changes to the firmware but with a strong community it could be covered.

#27 9 years ago

This will look great
Thanks for all the work

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

I think the guys who complain about what title is being release are actually giving a complement. They see what has been done and are just anxious to see it happen to one of their favorite games.

Gilligan's would be hard to actually do, since the DMD is surrounded by the translite, and the bigger LCD screen would block things.

I doubt anyone at ColorDMD is under any illusions that this is going to be a huge seller. But someone volunteered to spend their time on it (taking nothing away from anything else) and now there's another game out with full color.

That's awesome.

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from Endprodukt:

I still wish the coloring would be open for everyone. I guess many more pins would have been done and you had several options to choose from. I see that every new pin could mean changes to the firmware but with a strong community it could be covered.

Huh? It is open to everyone, this is proof of exactly that. It was colored by someone who volunteered. If you want to color a pin then there's nothing stopping you, just contact ColorDMD.

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from Taygeta:

Well I suppose this release gives hope that if Monopoly is up for the ColorDMD treatment, nearly every DMD game is viable

They are viable, they just need someone with the game to care enough to basically volunteer to put about 100 hours into coloring the game. It can be long and tedious, but it is also fun and rewarding. You do get compensated for it...but make no mistake, it is a labor of love. And it is volunteer based, so everyone complaining about certain games not being colored...hurry, hurry step right up.

#31 9 years ago

I can't wait for the day when just about all DMD games have been colorized. Monopoly puts us one more game toward getting to that goal.

#32 9 years ago

Great to see this done.

I sold my Monopoly, so it's not for me, but I'm sure it will be a great update for those with the game. Haven't seen a title yet that didn't seem better with a ColorDMD.

#33 9 years ago

Monopoly does have great dots, I think WPT will be absolutely stunning in color. Looking forward to Tron as well, rock on ColorDMD!

#34 9 years ago

I have a monopoly on location. would be interesting to have a color dmd upgrade

#35 9 years ago

SOBs! Stop releasing titles I have.

#36 9 years ago

I can't wait to see TFLE get done someday. There's so much animation going on in there that you can't always tell what's what. A color DMD would take the game to another level for sure.

Anyway, thanks to all the great people behind these colorization projects. Outstanding job by everyone.

#37 9 years ago

Is is just me or has ColorDMD really picked up the pace with releases. Amazing either way.

#38 9 years ago

The pace of releases is amazing.

The fact that it all works on their original hardware platform is what really impresses me!

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Huh? It is open to everyone, this is proof of exactly that. It was colored by someone who volunteered. If you want to color a pin then there's nothing stopping you, just contact ColorDMD.

I actually did that. Wanted to colorize T2. You have to sign a contract. Don't know what it says, but it was a problem that I'm from Germany as they would need a new contract. They never came back to me. So actually yes, the contract seems to stop me from doing it. I also don't want to have a deadline on this. This is not what I meant when I said "open for everyone". I would love to be able to change things on the existing firmwares, too.

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from Endprodukt:

I actually did that. Wanted to colorize T2. You have to sign a contract. Don't know what it says, but it was a problem that I'm from Germany as they would need a new contract. They never came back to me. So actually yes, the contract seems to stop me from doing it. I also don't want to have a deadline on this. This is not what I meant when I said "open for everyone". I would love to be able to change things on the existing firmwares, too.

I would try contacting Randy again. While it is possible there might be an issue with international situations, it can't hurt to try again.

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from Endprodukt:

Well what you're asking for isn't really reasonable. You want to color T2, but you don't want to commit.

So what happens when someone else volunteers to color T2? They say "sorry, someone else is doing it" and then you sit on it for 3 years because you didn't want a deadline or anything. And it doesn't get done. How is that better for the community?

And once you sign up to do a color job you get access to their behind the scenes stuff. You'll know what titles are being colored, etc. So yes, you need to sign a contract, part of which is legally committing to not sharing their inside info.

ColorDMD is a business. They've worked their asses off to get where they are, I don't begrudge them for running their business. When I make my translites I could just give them away, but frankly they're just too much damn work for that. I give things like instruction cards and stuff like that away all the time. ColorDMD releases free updates for old titles. Being paid for hard work though, that's okay with me.

#42 9 years ago

Awesome news from the ColorDMD team!!!

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Well what you're asking for isn't really reasonable. You want to color T2, but you don't want to commit.
So what happens when someone else volunteers to color T2? They say "sorry, someone else is doing it" and then you sit on it for 3 years because you didn't want a deadline or anything. And it doesn't get done. How is that better for the community?
And once you sign up to do a color job you get access to their behind the scenes stuff. You'll know what titles are being colored, etc. So yes, you need to sign a contract, part of which is legally committing to not sharing their inside info.
ColorDMD is a business. They've worked their asses off to get where they are, I don't begrudge them for running their business. When I make my translites I could just give them away, but frankly they're just too much damn work for that. I give things like instruction cards and stuff like that away all the time. ColorDMD releases free updates for old titles. Being paid for hard work though, that's okay with me.

I think you don't get my point. They would sell many many more boards in my opion if everyone could do colorizing jobs on a community like with Pinsound because way more machines would be supported by now.

Everyone is free to make reorchestrations for Pinsound. I actually spent 500 hours (so much about commitment) to reorchestrate the T2 and IJ soundtracks and people buy the Pinsound Board because of it (and the work of others!). They still need the board to enjoy it.

Same goes for the Color DMD. Why not let everyone who wants enhance the collection of supported games? Why not? So if someone is working on T2 and I'm also working on T2... you would actually have two versions to choose from! Right now you're stuck to the preferences of ONE person. If you don't like they're choice of colors... well... you either buy it or not. This is exactly my trouble with WH2O for example. It could have been much better in my honest opinion. It's not bad at all, it was good enough to spent that much money for the ColorDMD... still it went into my Fish Tales because it looked better to me.

People could do color jobs for pins with absolute no demand (if that exists anyway).

About the "behind the scenes"... my point was: Make the software downloadable for everyone who wants to do a job. Make a forum/community to share the firmwares, talk about them, work together and solve problems that might occur.

Quoted from shimoda:

I would try contacting Randy again. While it is possible there might be an issue with international situations, it can't hurt to try again.

I'm working on reorchestrating White Water at the moment so I won't have the time. Randy is a busy man and that's totally fine. I wanted to give it a shot in october 14 but started working on IJ reorchestration after I got no reply.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I DON'T mean to bash ColorDMD or Randy. So if there's anything offensive in my writing or between the lines - it's not intended. English is not my first language and sometimes exactly this can lead to problems.

#44 9 years ago
Quoted from Endprodukt:

I think you don't get my point. They would sell many many more boards in my opion if everyone could do colorizing jobs on a community like with Pinsound because way more machines would be supported by now.
Everyone is free to make reorchestrations for Pinsound. I actually spent 500 hours (so much about commitment) to reorchestrate the T2 and IJ soundtracks and people buy the Pinsound Board because of it (and the work of others!). They still need the board to enjoy it.
Same goes for the Color DMD. Why not let everyone who wants enhance the collection of supported games? Why not? So if someone is working on T2 and I'm also working on T2... you would actually have two versions to choose from! Right now you're stuck to the preferences of ONE person. If you don't like they're choice of colors... well... you either buy it or not

I think the answer to that is that ColorDMD just doesn't want to operate on an open crowd sourced model, they'd rather have quality control.

The truth is there are very few people who want to spend 100 hours colorizing a game. ColorDMD isn't just selling hardware, they're selling the whole experience. If you do a crappy job coloring T2, and it looks bad and is glitchy, and you take your machine to a show or have a party that's what everyone is going to see, then that's the impression they'll have of the product.

When you have a wide open platform you balance greater accessibility and numbers against the work. It's a quantity vs quality thing often times.

It's not inherently a better or worse model, but it doesn't always make business sense.

Considering this thread is about game 19, it really doesn't seem like we're being all that limited. And if you really feel passionate about coloring a game it's possible, right now. Again, this thread is living proof. ColorDMD didn't decide to place Metallica on hold and do Monopoly. It was someone who wanted to do it as their passion project, and the end result is now available to everyone.

#45 9 years ago

I think it's great when an unexpected title gets the color treatment. I am keeping my fingers crossed Indy 500 someday is one of those surprises.

#46 9 years ago

Now I wish I wouldn't have sold my Monopoly. This will be a great add on.

#47 9 years ago
Quoted from nerbflong:

Yes. It looks great.

Colour DMD -Monopoly .JPGColour DMD -Monopoly .JPG
#48 9 years ago

DW was a title that happened because I owned it and wanted to do it. It wasn't even on the radar but I signed a contract and several hundred hours (and months) later it was done. I've now finished TSPP and am working on #3 while also helping out with sprites for other titles. When I started DW there were three people actively on the CDMD Dev forum - Randy, Chris and myself. There are well over a dozen now. Many of us had no idea this was being done because Dave just decided to do it. I've got a title I'm considering doing for the same reason. Kudos for doing Monopoly, it looks great. #19 with many, many more titles to come.

As for the call for open source, I'm with Aurich, I like FOSS when it's available but I won't begrudge someone making money for their hard work. Not everything needs to be free and open. Many FOSS projects out there are great but they have created some unreasonable expectations that now suddenly everyone should be willing to offer up their hard work for free.

Good job Dave, welcome #19!

#49 9 years ago

You don't pay for the firmware. You pay for the display. I can use every firmware there is and switch the display around. So I'd say the firmware is for free already.

Now, the display went up to 450 Euro over in Europe... This will be a bigger problem for most than an open coloring system (that I would like to have though).

#50 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Yeah that's the thing, you have the game and you wanted it done so you did it. So if others are in a hurry for a game to be done why don't they step up and do it. Monopoly has really fun dots and I'll bet it looks great. Thanks for your hard work.

Hey thanks guys. It was fun to color. And yes, a game I own. Many more to go that need coloring

Exciting to hear people are putting this in their game! And at TPF too, nice!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
5,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal
Toppers
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
4,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fishers, IN
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy
Protection
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
Under cabinet
$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 52.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 98 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/colordmd-rolls-out-game-19-and-its-monopoly and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.